DOOGEE Shoot2 - Information & Reviews - 5.0" HD | MT6580A | 1/2GB | 8/16GB | Dual Cam

Search This thread

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
DOOGEE Shoot2 - Information & Reviews - 5.0" HD | MT6580A | 1/2GB | 8/16GB | Dual Cam

DOOGEE Shoot2

0.jpg

Specs:

Dimensions: 142.6 * 72.6 * 9.5 mm
Weight: 174.0g
Chassis: Metal
SoC: MediaTek MT6580A
CPU: ARM Cortex-A7, 1300 MHz, Cores: 4
GPU: ARM Mali-400 MP1, Cores: 1
RAM: 1 GB/2 GB
Storage: 8 GB/16 GB
Memory cards: microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC
Display: 5.0 in, IPS, 720 x 1280 pixels, 24 bit
Protection:
Battery: 3360mAh
Back Camera: 2560 x 1960 pixels (5MP), Dual Camera (same resolution)
Front Camera: 2560 x 1960 pixels (5MP)
SIM card: Dual-SIM, Dual-Standby
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz, Single-Band
USB: 2.0, Micro-USB
Bluetooth: 4.0
Positioning: GPS, A-GPS
Other Features: Front Fingerprint Sensor
Colors: Gold, Black, Grey

Development & Support:

Reviews:

Reactions: FeyoMx

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
Review (part 1)

Introduction

This is the DOOGEE Shoot 2.

0.jpg

Hardware

Following the Shoot series, this newer model, Shoot 2, is the little young brother of the Shoot 1, with the same design for the front, still two back cameras, but much less powerful and much more affordable. Something important to mention is that there are two variants of this device, 1GB/8GB and 2GB/16GB. I'm testing the 2GB variant. I don't see the point of getting the 1GB variant nowadays.

The device is powered by a Mediatek MT6580 SOC clocked at 1.30GHz, a bit outdated and slower compared to the MT6737T, together with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of ROM, and a 5 inches HD screen.

pKtE2AUl.jpg

Unboxing

kjhf1lml.jpg

Packaging comes with some accessories: 1x Micro-USB Cable, 1x 5V/1A USB Charger, 1x Quick Start Guide, 1x Warranty Card, 1x TPU Cover and the Smartphone (of course). A plastic screen protector is pre-applied.

iXSILeBl.jpg
WsL8j02l.jpg

Talking about the dimensions, the device is pretty compact even though it feels a bit thick due to the big internal battery. It is 14.68x7.32x0.97cm, with medium bezels, and weights 178g. This extra weight is caused by the metal back cover.

9j22D3Bl.jpg
Yz7dAvll.jpg

86zFzAel.jpg
cNrJOaKl.jpg

As regards the design, it isn't bad at all. I don't appreciate the noticeable plastic bands of the back cover, but everything else looks just fine and without any imperfection. Unfortunately my package was slightly damaged so you may notice a crack near the speaker grill. Luckily everything else was not damaged.

aEOktsil.jpg
0r8rihXl.jpg

t7Ftdl5l.jpg
x95ivqAl.jpg

On the front side there is the usual 2.5D Curved Display and the upper front side of the device features a Front-Facing Camera, an Earpiece, and the Sensors hole that includes Light, Proximity and Gesture Sensors. Unfortunately there is no Notification LED.

sOHAV8el.jpg

On the lower front side there is the classic soft-keys zone, with Recents and Back buttons on the side, and a Fingerprint Scanner in the middle that also works as an Home Button. You can notice the hidden microphone somewhere between the recents button and the fingerprint scanner.

LDWYyFrl.jpg

On the back side there is the removable back cover, but the battery isn't removable. The upper rear side of the device features the Dual Camera Sensor supported by a Single-LED Flashlight, bigger than usual.

61xbvAvl.jpg
J9AkDdRl.jpg

RgNwxvzl.jpg
pVZxhssl.jpg

On the lower rear side there is only the DOOGEE string with some Certification Logos. The speaker is positioned on the lower side of the device.

06hH2hXl.jpg

Device

Screen

Just like the Shoot 1, also this one features a good screen, even better as regards brightness. Color Accuracy is good, the same for the White Balance. Considering the price target, this may be one of the best screens i have ever seen on a low-end device.

6WKGE8Jl.jpg

The Light Sensor supports partial light changes, with a sufficient auto-brightness management. This is its maximum brightness. Just Excellent.

OxIKT8Ql.jpg

Viewing Angles matches IPS screen capabilities, nothing to complain about.

HmyXUHNl.jpg
MDfVmEDl.jpg

Camera

Unfortunately, this is where the difference between the Shoot 2 and the Shoot 1 is noticeable. This device features a 5MP Rear Camera made by GalaxyCore, and quality, in my opinion, isn't superb for a camera-phone. I guess the software isn't 100% ready to handle this sensor, causing some image quality issues especially when it comes to low-light shots.

Photos taken outdoors do not look bad at all, and the 1.5x camera zoom seem to work decently well.

zRuVt7Pl.jpg
fG93eTel.jpg

Just like most dual-camera devices i have reviewed, macros aren't the best. I guess this is a technical limit of the dual camera implementation.

uA7WyWBl.jpg
Aw6yDrPl.jpg

cUOINxJl.jpg
exFo5TXl.jpg

The Single-LED Flashlight is barely sufficient to provide enough light, and as a result the camera wasn't able to focus at all.

qJU83PTl.jpg

As regards Video Recording, 1080p videos are recorded at 25fps, with a decent amount of details and no major stuttering.

Front Camera, somehow, manages to shot better photos in the same light conditions where the rear camera isn't able to get a photo as good as this one. Pretty interesting.

TQywPLZl.jpg

Audio

Speaker's Quality is decent, with the usual absence of low-frequencies and medium-high maximum volume with almost no distortion. I don't understand why the second speaker grill hasn't been used at all, considering that the microphone is on the front side.

As regards the Microphone, it seems to work pretty well, with an impressive clarity and balanced volume.

Something that requires to be fixed is the Earpiece. At least on my review unit, the volume is too low. I have to increase the volume to the maximum in order to hear the third-party. Luckily this can be easily fixed with an OTA Update.

GPS

The GPS is decent, with a sufficient amount of satellites outdoors, and the possibility to lock satellites even indoors.

Outdoors on the left, Indoors of the right.

dq405tfl.png
tOlBaSsl.png

Telephony, Mobile Network & WiFi

This device doesn't support 4G networks, so you have to use your old 3G HSPA+ (42MBps max) connection to use your Mobile Data plan.

Signal Reception is accurate, but 3G coverage is just perfect here where i live so that's something i would have expected. Just like what happens with other devices, 3G Network Speed is low, thanks to my crappy Mobile Network that has lower than average 3G performance.

86VoBMtl.png

WiFi 5GHz isn't supported here. With my 2.4GHz network, i was able to reach 38mbps, connected at 65mbps, one of the best results ever obtained on a low-end device.

Ct2NI7Pl.png

Battery Life

As always, i measure the real battery capacity using my USB Tester, and it seems that the real battery capacity almost matches the declared value (declared 3360mAh, real ~3320mAh).

Sq4cIW4l.jpg
YtUbm1Ul.jpg

Unfortunately PCMark Battery Test crashes on this device, so i had to switch to Antutu Tester with its heavy battery benchmark. Maximum Brightness, everything enabled. Not too bad.

PkH2OpRl.png
yrN8cXzl.png
pfHSe00l.png

As regards battery charging times, the 5V/1A charger isn't the fastest when it comes to recharge a 3360mAh battery, but this is a software limit, so even if you use a better charger, it won't charge faster. More than 3 hours required to full charge.

Software

Following the Shoot 1 also this one comes with a completely clean Android OS, and most important, based on Nougat 7.0. Something rare to find with MT6580 devices, such an old chipset with such a new Android Version, something that i would have never expected from Mediatek. There are some pre-installed apps that can't be disabled without any issue, so don't worry about bloatware.

ORzdAA2l.png
DhTuHZLl.png

iI1i11jl.png
SV9MHrdl.png

gIQXiBjl.png
75ZVXq3l.png

BKjsTXkl.png
jdHqA5hl.png

All Mediatek features are still there such as Gestures, Scheduled Power On/Off, etc…

BMMw5jQl.png
B9ogb6Gl.png

No Malwares Detected using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, unlike what happened with the Shoot 1.

JXesPpvl.png
ygPvBIgl.png

Again, i'm using the 2GB variant, and after using it for a long while, i can say that it is smooth enough for daily tasks. I doubt that the 1GB variant will be as smooth as this one, due to RAM issues.​

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
Benchmarks

I have used 3DMark, AndroBench, Antutu Benchmark, Epic Citadel, GeekBench 4, GFXBench, PCMark (Work 2.0, Computer Vision, Storage & Work 1.0) and Vellamo to stress the device to the limit. I won’t test Games or Video Playback because there are already some related tests included in these Benchmark suites.

3DMark – GPU Performance is decent, this is a low-end device with an old Mali-400 GPU so we can't expect something better.

rhMi7P8l.png
5sLmpOVl.png

AndroBench – eMMC Performance isn't the best i have ever seen.

SUikSYel.png

Antutu Benchmark – I won’t say a lot about this benchmark, this isn’t as reliable as others. I’m providing this just for benchmarks lovers.

hirblKrl.png
SSEXVRZl.png

Epic Citadel – Based on this result, OpenGL 2.0 Games should run pretty smooth here.

PIpxBDNl.png

GeekBench – CPU Performance is a bit low, there are 4x Cortex-A7 CPUs here that can't provide much computational performance. Sufficient for basic daily tasks.

CPU

EK1gqhHl.png

amr32v3l.png
LWSP5wPl.png

Compute

vNsKlzll.png
1Y5PGEYl.png

GFXBench – Not the best GPU performance here, but i might have expected something even worse.

FjxSMTjl.png
4v733gAl.png

PCMark – Well, it isn't possible to get better performance on this MT6580 SOC, low-end performance is confirmed.

Work 2.0

8Jp97Rrl.png
VswcnBEl.png

Computer Vision

iDSeGMGl.png
LRCBUBVl.png

Storage

KhJQx5Jl.png
by4AnaEl.png

Work 1.0

q5dXhMSl.png
7iEgsxRl.png

Vellamo – Browsers Performance seems to be decent, nothing to complain about it.

qVplQkRl.png
TCxYRQGl.png

pWZbTPzl.png
FOw0gyal.png

Conclusions

I have to admit that writing some conclusions about this device isn't as easy as you would expect. This device is interesting but in the same time confusing. Being a "Shoot" series device, the camera software should be ready and optimized out of the box, but, unfortunately it isn't. Excluding the camera department, everything else is pretty good. Of course, being a low-end device with a cheap price, it is normal to not expect superb performance, or anything that could be found on more expensive devices.

With an OTA Update, that i hope to see in the near future to improve camera and earpiece volume, this device could become a best-buy for a camera-phone.

So, do i recommend this device? As mentioned before, currently, if you plan to use as a camera-phone, you need to consider all words i wrote in the Camera Paragraph, and if they are OK with you, then i can recommend it. This is a device with a great potential, it just needs to be unlocked :)

Pros:

Good Battery Life
Great Screen Brightness
Metal Back Cover
Dual Camera
Android 7.0 Nougat with latest security patches
Impressive WiFi Performance

Cons:

No Magnetometer/Gyroscope
Still using the old MT6580 chipset
Camera Quality not as good as expected
Earpiece Volume is too low
No Notification LED

Rating: 8.3

Packaging and Accessories: 8.5
Design and Materials: 8
Performance and Heat Dissipation: 7
Screen: 9
Camera: 6.5
Sound: 7.5
Battery Life: 9
Software: 10
OEM Support: 9
Price: 9

You can find full-res images (I know, Quality isn't excellent) here: http://imgur.com/a/kO5Cs

Official Website: http://www.doogee.cc/detail/Shoot-series/105

You can buy it on many online shops. Official, and authorized, Retailers are listed in the DOOGEE website.

mdromed

Feb 1, 2011
Great review!
I need some method to rooting this device.
Can you help me?
Regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DOOGEE Shoot2

0.jpg

Specs:

Dimensions: 142.6 * 72.6 * 9.5 mm
    Weight: 174.0g
    Chassis: Metal
    SoC: MediaTek MT6580A
    CPU: ARM Cortex-A7, 1300 MHz, Cores: 4
    GPU: ARM Mali-400 MP1, Cores: 1
    RAM: 1 GB/2 GB
    Storage: 8 GB/16 GB
    Memory cards: microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC
    Display: 5.0 in, IPS, 720 x 1280 pixels, 24 bit
    Protection:
    Battery: 3360mAh
    Back Camera: 2560 x 1960 pixels (5MP), Dual Camera (same resolution)
    Front Camera: 2560 x 1960 pixels (5MP)
    SIM card: Dual-SIM, Dual-Standby
    Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz, Single-Band
    USB: 2.0, Micro-USB
    Bluetooth: 4.0
    Positioning: GPS, A-GPS
    Other Features: Front Fingerprint Sensor
    Colors: Gold, Black, Grey

Development & Support:

Reviews: