Doom 3 port on the way

Search This thread

UNCUT88RAW

Jan 4, 2012
Westhausen
Hello xda members,
I found something interesting when i looked onto my favourite website for Android: androidnext.de

Some people ported the Id Tech 4 onto Android. This was possible due to the fact that this engine has
been made Open Source a while ago. The game itself isn't Open Source, but if you own a copy of it
you can copy the needed files. Note that the work is in early stages, so you can't play the game at the moment :(
because they need to fix a lot of bugs of the engine on Android.

But hey, wait a little bit and we maybe play Id Tech 4 games like Quake 4, Wolfenstein and so on. :good:
And the Xperia Play would be the perfect handset to play on it.:)

Androidnext article (german)
http://www.androidnext.de/games/doom-3-android-port/#prettyPhoto

Reactions: Ridge

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
OMG ! that would be so awesome if someone ported Doom 3 for the Xperia PLAY,:)

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app

If this works, I dont see how our device can run Doom 3.... I may very well be wrong.... guess only time will tell. I still own my original bought on Day 1, limited edition Doom 3 for original XBOX on mint condition. and the suedo sequel Resurrection of Evil. Love those games. Doom 4 will be coming out with supposedly support for Virtual Reality

http://gamerant.com/doom-4-virtual-reality-oculus-rift/

All in all this would be bada$$ if it works.

Ridge

Aug 7, 2012
Harstad
Awesome! I love Doom 3. I hope it gets proper Xperia Play controls. :fingers-crossed:
Thanks for the info.

Selim873

Apr 8, 2011
My heart's racing! This will be awesome! :D

Funny though, on another forum, there was a thread based on what games would be awesome on mobile, I said Doom 3 for Android and said why and believed that it would be possible as time goes because of it's low requirements and the fact that it was released for Linux as well. This is so cool! :D

Last edited:

UNCUT88RAW

Jan 4, 2012
Westhausen
@jgregoryj1
I think it's possible to bring it on our Xperia Play. The Engine is Open Source, so with right optimations in regards to CPU, GPU, RAM,
Texture size, resolution etc. it can be done. By the way: The guy in the video uses an HTC Desire HD, spec wise almost the same (except more RAM than Play has). Also, Doom 3 is available on Xbox and this console is weaker than our Xperia Play. So, i think it will be a great expansion to our game library. Hope, it will come soon.:fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

Don't forget the other Id Tech 4 games!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Selim873

Selim873

Apr 8, 2011
@jgregoryj1
I think it's possible to bring it on our Xperia Play. The Engine is Open Source, so with right optimations in regards to CPU, GPU, RAM,
Texture size, resolution etc. it can be done. By the way: The guy in the video uses an HTC Desire HD, spec wise almost the same (except more RAM than Play has). Also, Doom 3 is available on Xbox and this console is weaker than our Xperia Play. So, i think it will be a great expansion to our game library. Hope, it will come soon.:fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

Eh, that'll depend actually, Brink used iD Tech 4, it's requirements are much higher, even though they're on the same engine.

BrianChase

Nov 7, 2010
Orlando
Eh, that'll depend actually, Brink used iD Tech 4, it's requirements are much higher, even though they're on the same engine.

In all fairness it used a heavily modified engine of Tech 4; we can play Quake 3 on our phones but not Jedi Academy which also uses a modified engine since the requirements and certain assets do change in the process. You can clearly tell by looking at the specs for Doom 3 that it will be possible on current high-end and future devices. The Play sadly will never see it.

Kokak is actually planning on porting Doom 3 and I think that will be the port that eventually gets it right. His DoomGLES is incredible. http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/interviews/4324-interview-with-kokak-games-about-future-ports-network-support-for-current-games-and-more

In all fairness it used a heavily modified engine of Tech 4; we can play Quake 3 on our phones but not Jedi Academy which also uses a modified engine since the requirements and certain assets do change in the process. You can clearly tell by looking at the specs for Doom 3 that it will be possible on current high-end and future devices. The Play sadly will never see it.

Kokak is actually planning on porting Doom 3 and I think that will be the port that eventually gets it right. His DoomGLES is incredible. http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/interviews/4324-interview-with-kokak-games-about-future-ports-network-support-for-current-games-and-more

I have both DoomGLES and HereticGLES..... both are great.. granted Doom 3 is considerably higher on the graphics count... and i almost forgot we have Quake 3 on our phones via the Zeus Arena

BrianChase

Nov 7, 2010
Orlando
I have both DoomGLES and HereticGLES..... both are great.. granted Doom 3 is considerably higher on the graphics count... and i almost forgot we have Quake 3 on our phones via the Zeus Arena

Oh don't get me wrong, not even Kokak can get it running on the Play; it just won't happen. I just think he will make a damn fine port, you know, if we ever get the Xperia Play 2 :laugh:

Oh don't get me wrong, not even Kokak can get it running on the Play; it just won't happen. I just think he will make a damn fine port, you know, if we ever get the Xperia Play 2 :laugh:

I wasnt saying he could make it work with the PLAY in its current version.... we can always be hopefuly of an Xperia PLAY 2... but I would be totally floored if it became a reality, as it is..... incredibly doubtful..... I have a better chance of becoming the leader of China... (I can say that because my wife is from Guangxi province.. and I know full well she is the boss) :laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello xda members,
    I found something interesting when i looked onto my favourite website for Android: androidnext.de

Some people ported the Id Tech 4 onto Android. This was possible due to the fact that this engine has
    been made Open Source a while ago. The game itself isn't Open Source, but if you own a copy of it
    you can copy the needed files. Note that the work is in early stages, so you can't play the game at the moment :(
    because they need to fix a lot of bugs of the engine on Android.

But hey, wait a little bit and we maybe play Id Tech 4 games like Quake 4, Wolfenstein and so on. :good:
    And the Xperia Play would be the perfect handset to play on it.:)

Androidnext article (german)
    http://www.androidnext.de/games/doom-3-android-port/#prettyPhoto
    @jgregoryj1