DooMKernel: Share your settings - Discussions (Upd 13 Oct 2014)

Search This thread

nreuge

Apr 22, 2013
Saint-Nazaire
Thank to @DooMLoRD, we have a powerful customized kernel allowing to improve the user experience with our Z2.
Current version: DooMKernel (v11)

This is the place to share and to discuss about our settings (allowed by DooMKernel). Please don't flood the kernel thread with such information, the right place is here.

First, it must be emphasized that the best tools to enable and tune the settings allowed by DooMKernel are:
- Fauxclock
- FauxSound
However, you can use others tools (such as Pimp my Z1, ...) and your feedback using these alternate tools will be welcome.

Currently, I use these Fauxclock settings (Updated sections in red - 13 Oct 2014):

- CPU Clock:
Min freq.: 300 MHz
Max freq.: 2.458 GHz (overclocked, see FAQ in post #2 for enabling overclocking permanently)
Governor: Intelliactive

- CPU Hotplug: Intelliplug - Profile: balanced - Touch boost enabled, or mpdecision for better perf. (see FAQ in post #2)

Intelliactive + Intelliplug = good performances +, very good battery life +++
Intelliactive + mpdecision = good performances ++, good battery life ++
Lagfree + mpdecision = very good performances +++, good battery life +

- Voltage tuning: -12 mV
Beyond this value, my device crashes (not necessarily the same for all devices). Stability can be tested with StabilityTest or Antutu benchmark.
Reducing the Votage is interesting for power saving and thermal management.
From a few reports, you could be 100% stable up to -48 mV.

- Thermal manager: Intellithermal (recommended by Faux)
Better than Thermald for 4K recording (look at my tests here)
Temperature threshold freq.: 70°C (158°F)
Temperature threshold core: 80°C (176°F)

- GPU manager: msm-adreno-tz - 578 MHz
Try these settings for great GPU performance!! And please give feedback.

- Sheduler I/O (eMMC & SDCard): row

- Readahead size (eMMC & SDCard): eMMC: 2048 - SD: 4096

- Colour / Gamma: not tested

- Memory manager:
VFS cache enabled
Automatic mode for writeback delay: enabled

- Same Page Merge: Intelli-KSM enabled

- FastCharge:
Battery Temperature Throttling: on
Battery throttle cpu frequency: 2457600
Fastcharge options: disabled - not tested

Currently, I use these FauxSound settings:
- Preset Profile: Quality
- Speaker gain: does not work

That's all. All is working perfect for me.
Compared to stock settings, about 2000 points are won on the Antutu Benchmark Score.
These settings will be updated and discussed in this post from your future reports.

Last edited:

nreuge

Apr 22, 2013
Saint-Nazaire
FAQ:

- How to enable CPU overclocking permanently ?

Open Fauxclock,
go to fastcharge,
enable "Battery temperature throttling"
search "Battery throttle cpu frequency" & set it there up to "2457600",
activate "set on boot",
go back to cpu/hotplug,
set cpu at max,
and reboot.
Thanks to @MysticEnforcer for this tip.

- You experience lags listening eXistenZ modded Walman+sound enhancements ?

Use CPU hotplug mpdecision.

Last edited:

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
I find my phone freezes on boot when I use the intelliactive governor with sio.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Update of my settings: voltage tuning set from -48 mV to -24 mV for stability issues. Seems stable at -24 mV but needs confirmation.
Antutu benchmark is a good test to verify stability.

for me initially -72 mV was working but not stable... for now -60 mV is mostly stable, with a rare random reboot here or there ;)

Reactions: nreuge

nreuge

Apr 22, 2013
Saint-Nazaire
for me initially -72 mV was working but not stable... for now -60 mV is mostly stable, with a rare random reboot here or there ;)

I was nearly stable at -36 mV with a rare random reboot here or there. Now, it's seems I'm 100% stable at -24 mV and I saw elsewhere that another user was stable at -48 mV. No luck for me... :( Anyway, all that confirms that each device behaves differently.

Last edited:

deezid

Jun 26, 2010
Viersen
If you want to get rid of micro stutter, try using one of the following cpu governors:
Lagfree, Smartass V2 or Lionheart

Games, launchers, Chrome etc. became much more responsive since I've switched. :)

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
If you want to get rid of micro stutter, try using one of the following cpu governors:
Lagfree, Smartass V2 or Lionheart

Games, launchers, Chrome etc. became much more responsive since I've switched. :)

have you done any specific governor tweaks?

can you share them with us?

deezid

Jun 26, 2010
Viersen
have you done any specific governor tweaks?

can you share them with us?

No, didn't modify them.
There are laggy governors like: Ondemand, Interactive, Conservative, Intellidemand etc. and fast ones: Performance (no good solution), Lionheart, Smartass V2, Lagfree.

Just try it. Made my phone fly. Games like Temple Run Oz and Asphalt 8, which were unplayable before are working fine since I've using another governor (currently Lionheart). Feels like a Nexus 5 or HTC M8 now. Much better than stock!

Thanks for your great work! :)

Last edited:

amon87

Apr 22, 2010
Katowice
I think I'll share my settings. This is not for those who expect ultimate power from their Z2's. I'm not a gamer, so this settings are for browsing the web and focused on battery performance.
Here we go:

Underclocked to 1728 ghz, governor intelliactive
CPU Hotplug: mpdecision (there's nothing we can do about that;) )
Voltage: -24 mV
Thermal: Intellithermal, frequency throttle 70 C, Core throttle: 65 C, all cores throttled
GPU: msm-adreno-tz 578 mhz, gpu rendering: on
I/O Schedulers: SIO for internal and external, cache 1024
Memory manager: Clear VFS cache after boot, rest on stock
Same Page merge: Intelli-KSM enabled
Low Memory Kill: why do i need those with 3gigs of ram? ;)
FastCharge: Battery throttling: throttle at 50 C of bettery - throttle to 1267200

Battery lasts from 7am to 10pm with heavy use - 40% left. Stamina mode on all the time. Screen with auto brightness.

I'm using fauxClock. Smooth UI, fast browsing, no stuttering, fullhd camera works like charm. I'm not using 4k recoding and I haven't tested it.

Last edited:

kumbangdesa

Aug 25, 2011
Kuala Terengganu
Stable at -60 mv.. :)

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1401438275548.jpg
    1401438275548.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:

Carphedon

Nov 13, 2010
Is it better to turn mpdecision on or leave it off? I read somewhere that mpdecision overwrites the cpu governor settings.

nreuge

Apr 22, 2013
Saint-Nazaire
No, didn't modify them.
There are laggy governors like: Ondemand, Interactive, Conservative, Intellidemand etc. and fast ones: Performance (no good solution), Lionheart, Smartass V2, Lagfree.

Just try it. Made my phone fly. Games like Temple Run Oz and Asphalt 8, which were unplayable before are working fine since I've using another governor (currently Lionheart). Feels like a Nexus 5 or HTC M8 now. Much better than stock!

@DooMLoRD

I've done several tests comparing different governors in term of power consumption. My screen was off and I was listening to music with Walkman.
Results (discharging rates):

Intelliactive: -2%/h
Lagfree: -3%/h
Lionheart: -4%/h
Smartass v2: -12%/h (big issue: freq. always at max)

So, Lagfree and Lionheart are probably more performant than Intelliactive (based on Ondemand) and more suitable for gamers but they are far more power hungry. So, this must be considered before choosing a governor.
There is patently an issue with Smartass v2.

Last edited:

deezid

Jun 26, 2010
Viersen
I've done several tests comparing different governors in term of power consumption. My screen was off and I was listening to music with Walkman.
Results (discharging rates):

Intelliactive: -2%/h
Lagfree: -3%/h
Lionheart: -4%/h
Smartass v2: -12%/h (big issue: freq. always at max)

So, Lagfree and Lionheart are probably more performant than Intelliactive (based on Ondemand) and more suitable for gamers but they are far more power hungry. So, this must be considered before choosing a governor.
There obviously an issue with Smartass v2.

Have seen the same, Smartass V2 is buggy and keeps the frequency at maximum (just like performance governor does).

Lagfree seems to be the best compromise, it works pretty well in games. :)

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
No, didn't modify them.

Thanks for your great work! :)

Very hard on battery though

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

nreuge

Apr 22, 2013
Saint-Nazaire
Have seen the same, Smartass V2 is buggy and keeps the frequency at maximum (just like performance governor does).

Lagfree seems to be the best compromise, it works pretty well in games. :)

Very hard on battery though

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I think that Interactive should be good for games and not too power hungry. However, presently, it seems incorrectly parametirized: using it, I can hear few scratching noises listening to music in Walkman (and also with Ondemand)!! I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank to @DooMLoRD, we have a powerful customized kernel allowing to improve the user experience with our Z2.
    Current version: DooMKernel (v11)

This is the place to share and to discuss about our settings (allowed by DooMKernel). Please don't flood the kernel thread with such information, the right place is here.

First, it must be emphasized that the best tools to enable and tune the settings allowed by DooMKernel are:
    - Fauxclock
    - FauxSound
    However, you can use others tools (such as Pimp my Z1, ...) and your feedback using these alternate tools will be welcome.

Currently, I use these Fauxclock settings (Updated sections in red - 13 Oct 2014):

- CPU Clock:
    Min freq.: 300 MHz
    Max freq.: 2.458 GHz (overclocked, see FAQ in post #2 for enabling overclocking permanently)
    Governor: Intelliactive

- CPU Hotplug: Intelliplug - Profile: balanced - Touch boost enabled, or mpdecision for better perf. (see FAQ in post #2)

Intelliactive + Intelliplug = good performances +, very good battery life +++
    Intelliactive + mpdecision = good performances ++, good battery life ++
    Lagfree + mpdecision = very good performances +++, good battery life +

- Voltage tuning: -12 mV
    Beyond this value, my device crashes (not necessarily the same for all devices). Stability can be tested with StabilityTest or Antutu benchmark.
    Reducing the Votage is interesting for power saving and thermal management.
    From a few reports, you could be 100% stable up to -48 mV.

- Thermal manager: Intellithermal (recommended by Faux)
    Better than Thermald for 4K recording (look at my tests here)
    Temperature threshold freq.: 70°C (158°F)
    Temperature threshold core: 80°C (176°F)

- GPU manager: msm-adreno-tz - 578 MHz
    Try these settings for great GPU performance!! And please give feedback.

- Sheduler I/O (eMMC & SDCard): row

- Readahead size (eMMC & SDCard): eMMC: 2048 - SD: 4096

- Colour / Gamma: not tested

- Memory manager:
    VFS cache enabled
    Automatic mode for writeback delay: enabled

- Same Page Merge: Intelli-KSM enabled

- FastCharge:
    Battery Temperature Throttling: on
    Battery throttle cpu frequency: 2457600
    Fastcharge options: disabled - not tested

Currently, I use these FauxSound settings:
    - Preset Profile: Quality
    - Speaker gain: does not work

That's all. All is working perfect for me.
    Compared to stock settings, about 2000 points are won on the Antutu Benchmark Score.
    These settings will be updated and discussed in this post from your future reports.
    in case you wonder which governor is the best for battery life!

j9ZrHX2.png

(Average is the Value you should look for! Total is for the Total amount of the Benchmark, some are 305 seconds, some are 315 seconds...)

more infos can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53112668
    I think I'll share my settings. This is not for those who expect ultimate power from their Z2's. I'm not a gamer, so this settings are for browsing the web and focused on battery performance.
    Here we go:

Underclocked to 1728 ghz, governor intelliactive
    CPU Hotplug: mpdecision (there's nothing we can do about that;) )
    Voltage: -24 mV
    Thermal: Intellithermal, frequency throttle 70 C, Core throttle: 65 C, all cores throttled
    GPU: msm-adreno-tz 578 mhz, gpu rendering: on
    I/O Schedulers: SIO for internal and external, cache 1024
    Memory manager: Clear VFS cache after boot, rest on stock
    Same Page merge: Intelli-KSM enabled
    Low Memory Kill: why do i need those with 3gigs of ram? ;)
    FastCharge: Battery throttling: throttle at 50 C of bettery - throttle to 1267200

Battery lasts from 7am to 10pm with heavy use - 40% left. Stamina mode on all the time. Screen with auto brightness.

I'm using fauxClock. Smooth UI, fast browsing, no stuttering, fullhd camera works like charm. I'm not using 4k recoding and I haven't tested it.
    I've tested several combination of CPU governor / CPU Hotplug driver / Thermal manager to perform 4K recording. The ambient air temperature was quite warm: 28°C. I've let the phone to cool down between each test.

Results :

Lagfree / mpdecision / Intellithermal: stopped by the phone (to cool down) at 3 mn 18 s - no lag

Intelliactive / Intelliplug / Intellithermal: stopped by the phone at 6 mn 04 s - but very laggy after a few minutes

Lagfree / Intelliplug / Intellithermal: stopped by the phone at 4 mn 12 s - no lag

Intelliactive / mpdecision / Intellithermal: stopped by the phone at 4 mn 06 s - no lag

Lagfree / Intelliplug / Thermald: stopped by the phone at 3 mn 01 s - no lag

Therefore, the best combination seems to be: Lagfree / Intelliplug / Intellithermal.

Note: Intelliplug was tested with Eco mode enabled.

EDIT: 2 new tests preformed:

Lagfree / Intelliplug / Intellithermal: stopped by the phone at 5 mn 23 s - no lag

Lagfree / Intelliplug / Thermald: stopped by the phone at 3 mn 43 s - no lag

It confirms that Intellithermal is better than Thermald for 4K recording.
    FAQ:

- How to enable CPU overclocking permanently ?

Open Fauxclock,
    go to fastcharge,
    enable "Battery temperature throttling"
    search "Battery throttle cpu frequency" & set it there up to "2457600",
    activate "set on boot",
    go back to cpu/hotplug,
    set cpu at max,
    and reboot.
    Thanks to @MysticEnforcer for this tip.

- You experience lags listening eXistenZ modded Walman+sound enhancements ?

Use CPU hotplug mpdecision.