• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Dorians Redpill CM7 Hybrid Rom

Search This thread

cannuks76

Nov 16, 2011
Cumbria
best ROM for me. I have been using it for about 1 month now, with allmost no bugs (only one is when you unplug your phone from mass storage mode in the computer to quickly and immediately start an app on SD card, phone crashes.) I can't wait until Dorian comes out wiht fingerprint scanner compatibility. Also hope he changes the default Launcher because his ADWLauncher doesn't do dock editing (I.E youre stuck with app drawer,Dialler and Browser as your dock) oh and one last thing, i tried uninstalling ADWLauncher with Titanium Backup Pro, and installing GoLauncher as default but it messed up EVERYTHING. Don't do it :p

cmoG530

Sep 7, 2009
Right, because in order to be a Legitimate Android ROM Developer, you need to put out a release every other day. :rolleyes:

I don't think he was trying to be rude in any way, but I do see where he's coming from. My fear, was that by the time he does release it, cm9 would have gotten much more stable, thus making the switch to cm7 rather irrelevant. His rom is more than likely the only one I'd leave cm9 for at the moment, but...you know. It's nothing against the guy of course, because of course he has a life, but I believe many have lost hope in a next release, which is a shame. I do hope it's sometime soon though Lord willing.

#Sent from my God given Atrix 4G

I don't think he was trying to be rude in any way, but I do see where he's coming from. My fear, was that by the time he does release it, cm9 would have gotten much more stable, thus making the switch to cm7 rather irrelevant. His rom is more than likely the only one I'd leave cm9 for at the moment, but...you know. It's nothing against the guy of course, because of course he has a life, but I believe many have lost hope in a next release, which is a shame. I do hope it's sometime soon though Lord willing.
Well, were you aware that up until very recently, Dorian didn't even have a working Atrix (the one he was using started experiencing multiple hardware failures)? Hard to develop for a phone that isn't working properly. :) He's also not one to advertise what he's doing, something which I'm not entirely comfortable with myself (I'd prefer regular status updates, at the very least) but have come to accept. I'm currently running a closed beta of the next release, so I'm confident something should be happening soon. Finally, I wouldn't be so quick to praise these "CM9" releases, because from what I'm reading, there are still multiple problems with them, problems that would keep me from using any of them as my daily driver (I need something that works and is reliable). If/when Dorian does a RedPill based on CM9, it'll likely be based on the official CM9 sources, not a bunch of Kangs of questionable stability and reliability put out by well-meaning devs.

Bottom line is, if you're flash-happy and like installing new releases every other day, RedPill isn't for you. Dorian isn't someone to just throw out a release and play follow-up with bug fixes, as I've said before; he waits until he has something rock-solid and reliable. The upside to that is that you don't need a new release every other day. :D

cmoG530

Sep 7, 2009
Well, were you aware that up until very recently, Dorian didn't even have a working Atrix (the one he was using started experiencing multiple hardware failures)? Hard to develop for a phone that isn't working properly. :) He's also not one to advertise what he's doing, something which I'm not entirely comfortable with myself (I'd prefer regular status updates, at the very least) but have come to accept. I'm currently running a closed beta of the next release, so I'm confident something should be happening soon. Finally, I wouldn't be so quick to praise these "CM9" releases, because from what I'm reading, there are still multiple problems with them, problems that would keep me from using any of them as my daily driver (I need something that works and is reliable). If/when Dorian does a RedPill based on CM9, it'll likely be based on the official CM9 sources, not a bunch of Kangs of questionable stability and reliability put out by well-meaning devs.

Bottom line is, if you're flash-happy and like installing new releases every other day, RedPill isn't for you. Dorian isn't someone to just throw out a release and play follow-up with bug fixes, as I've said before; he waits until he has something rock-solid and reliable. The upside to that is that you don't need a new release every other day. :D

I understand you completely and I'm never flash happy, because it's not only too much work, but I don't think it's healthy for my phone. I honestly can't understand why people like to flash roms every day. But, I don't think that there are any developers here that release on a daily basis, besides the cm7 nightly crew. Everyone else has been taking their time. Cm9 is different, because it's still in beta, so it needs to be tested (still not every day at all).I know about the broken atrix, because I have an account on the atrix forums as well. I want him to take his time and be thorough, so that everyone will have a stable rom, but alas time is of the essence.

I was using red pill, but I kept experiencing random reboots all the time (no UV). As for cm9 besides video recording (I don't use) and hardware acceleration (don't really play too many games), it has been really stable for me. Especially in the battery department and scrolling has been a treat despite HWA. Yeah, it needs work still, but it's definitely come a long way, from not having working key lights and having to reboot to use wifi. Aye yi yi, those were some horrible days :D

Last edited:

slojko

Oct 30, 2011
Right, because in order to be a Legitimate Android ROM Developer, you need to put out a release every other day. :rolleyes:

That's not what im saying, the reason I said that is because there is absolutely no updates and if dorian does post on attix forums its about what are you listening to?

Nothing against the guy but I just dont want people holding there breath for something that will be obsolete on release( if dorian hasn't started a cm9 build that is)

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

That's not what im saying, the reason I said that is because there is absolutely no updates and if dorian does post on attix forums its about what are you listening to?

Nothing against the guy but I just dont want people holding there breath for something that will be obsolete on release( if dorian hasn't started a cm9 build that is)
Well, since there aren't any official CM9 releases, I don't see where "obsolete" comes in. :) If you've noticed, there are only two developers working on an ICS-based ROM. None of the other developers (nottach, Diviance, etc.) have done anything more than contemplate basing a ROM off of them; they're still using CM7 and Blur bases because, for right now, those are still state of the art for the Atrix and are the most reliable. I have nothing against the guys doing CM9 Kangs, but face it: until something official comes out, they're still shooting arrows in the dark and making it up as they go. If you can live with that, great, more power to you, but some devs (like Dorian) are more cautious and pragmatic. Like I said previously, he will likely start working on a CM9-based ROM when something official comes out from the CM Atrix dev team. Being first isn't necessarily the best thing to be. :)

Reactions: slojko

slojko

Oct 30, 2011
Well, since there aren't any official CM9 releases, I don't see where "obsolete" comes in. :) If you've noticed, there are only two developers working on an ICS-based ROM. None of the other developers (nottach, Diviance, etc.) have done anything more than contemplate basing a ROM off of them; they're still using CM7 and Blur bases because, for right now, those are still state of the art for the Atrix and are the most reliable. I have nothing against the guys doing CM9 Kangs, but face it: until something official comes out, they're still shooting arrows in the dark and making it up as they go. If you can live with that, great, more power to you, but some devs (like Dorian) are more cautious and pragmatic. Like I said previously, he will likely start working on a CM9-based ROM when something official comes out from the CM Atrix dev team. Being first isn't necessarily the best thing to be. :)

im saying by the time he releases his rom the motorola devs would have already completed ICS for the atrix, thus no need for a cm7 build.

Reactions: sdlopez83

zx9john

Jun 7, 2007
I tried this ROM and after several wipes I'm still getting hung downloads in the market app (installed from "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip" on the CM wiki)

Edit - Ran "Fix permissions" in CWM and resolved it.

Last edited:

unboostedzc

Sep 29, 2010
Manhattan
getting ready to flash this off of a buddy's atrix this afternoon. someone else flashed v1 hybrid on it for him without really knowing the in/outs of the issues (no webtop, fingerprint, etc).

is there anything special needed going from this to CM9 or another rom for instance? he's currently unlocked and able to flash in CWR. i was planning on getting him on CM9 for now or at a last resort putting him back on a stock ROM so he'll be happy.

cmoG530

Sep 7, 2009
getting ready to flash this off of a buddy's atrix this afternoon. someone else flashed v1 hybrid on it for him without really knowing the in/outs of the issues (no webtop, fingerprint, etc).

is there anything special needed going from this to CM9 or another rom for instance? he's currently unlocked and able to flash in CWR. i was planning on getting him on CM9 for now or at a last resort putting him back on a stock ROM so he'll be happy.

No, just make sure that he is using a good recovery like cwm touch recovery and make sure to always full wipe (twice always does it for me). If you use titanium backup, make sure to not restore any system settings, for dangerous (for lack of a better word) things will happen if you do.

Just FYI, Dorian has released a new version of RedPill-CM7 (dated 9-1-2012). It's based on the most current CM7.2 source to date (compiled by Dorian, not hacked from an existing release), and has all of his usual stability and reliability tweaks. The default CM7 font has also been replaced with something that's not ugly (this includes the desk clock). :D Note that this release no longer includes ICS-style UI elements, but you can still get that with one of the many ICS themes in the Play Store.

Go here for all the details, or you can download it here (and get the Google Apps package here). Enjoy!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know lots of people are looking for new CM7 stuff to flash! well I seen a rom called Dorians Redpill cm7 Hybrid v1 around the forum in some peoples sigs and such but nobody has made it available here so... I googled it and found this! http://jwhite.macleod-web.net/resources/atrixforums/CM7/RedPill Hybrid V1 RC.zip

and I gotta say this is definetly worth a flash it's damn nice!

Note: I only found this link and made it available here! I had nothing to do with making this rom! This was made by a dev named Dorian on another forum! So please give credit where credit is due! :D

And I sure as **** am not responsible for any damage you cause to your phone from flashing this! As I said I only found the link and am making it available for all the flashing fiends out there such as myself! That is all! Happy flashing! :D

Update: Actually there was one problem I experienced when I first flashed this that I forgot to mention! you may have to possibly redo your apns or restore them from a backup as I did experience a problem with my mobile connection when I first installed.
    Latest post from Dorian:
    [...] Many of the parts that I use in RedPill were edited in a sloppy manor by someone else before I got them, meaning I can't cleanly decompile/recompile some things. Since I can't do that, it means I can't completely theme it. When things don't fit a theme in 99% of the ROM it really bothers me. I could release RedPill as-is though, and you guys could just use it that way if you really don't care. It would just bother me, since in my mind it's not complete.

[...] Another reason I've been a bit quiet lately is the device I have is failing. There's a light halo around the outside of the LCD panel, the internal storage is on the fritz, and the MicroSD card slot hasn't worked for a while. So testing new stuff is a bit difficult, especially when the internal storage decides to just stop working sometimes... because it's on/off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, AT&T is replacing it...

Just to let you guys know, you're not forgotten about. :)
    Thought you guys might appreciate the info. Hardware issues and a bit of OCD by the developer would tend to delay a new release. :D
    Shut up.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App
    Just FYI, Dorian has released a new version of RedPill-CM7 (dated 9-1-2012). It's based on the most current CM7.2 source to date (compiled by Dorian, not hacked from an existing release), and has all of his usual stability and reliability tweaks. The default CM7 font has also been replaced with something that's not ugly (this includes the desk clock). :D Note that this release no longer includes ICS-style UI elements, but you can still get that with one of the many ICS themes in the Play Store.

Go here for all the details, or you can download it here (and get the Google Apps package here). Enjoy!
    I feel an obligation to remind everyone that we were all "noobs" at some point. ;) The only way to not be a "noob" is to acquire knowledge, and I've often found that kicking them in the teeth isn't the best way to impart knowledge. Perhaps we "superior beings" should keep this in mind, and cut others a little slack instead of cutting them down? It doesn't take much extra effort to say, "You can find the answer over here, and for future reference, perhaps you should do such-and-such," instead of, "Go Google it, you noob a**hole!" (Okay, I haven't actually seen anyone call someone "a**hole," but that's the sentiment nonetheless.)