• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Dorians Redpill CM7 Hybrid Rom

Search This thread

DroidRunner

Sep 29, 2010
Having some incompatible problems with apps from the play store with the latest version

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

SoupySauce

Nov 28, 2011
YES. I love this rom. It was the first rom I flashed on my phone.

TO the above; what apps are you having problems with? I haven't had any problems so far whatsoever with this rom.

SoupySauce

Nov 28, 2011
Lol. I'm sure you tried clearing cache/data for the app already. Maybe try a fix permissions? I was actually just on instagram but I installed it from the play store.

android-DEP

May 25, 2012
New Jersey
andrew, i think you tried my last update to androbreadcrumbs right? If so, and you still have it downloaded, just crack open the zip file, go into Customize, Third, instagram, system, app, and copy that instagram.apk file over to your phone and run it.

I have this same type of problem with iHeartradio when I back it up. After I use the app and log into it then back it up, if I flash another rom then try to restore that saved copy of iHeartradio app without restoring any data with it, it gives me Forcle Close errors. I always end up having to redownload a fresh copy from the store everytime.

Trick is, once you download the app, without even opening it, back it up first to be able to restore that fresh copy later one if you get errors on a fresh rom.

So in my rom's folders, there's a fresh copy of Instagram and other apps you can use especially between CM7 based roms, the apps should work across the board.

Reactions: DroidRunner

android-DEP

May 25, 2012
New Jersey
just out of curiosity, what's the highlights of this rom? i really dont see anything different than a compiled rom from sources with the boot animation changed, everything else is exactly as it was originally written back in 2008 initially. I don't understand what is offered in this build that's any different than every other cm7 base rom available.

ravilov

Jan 26, 2010
localhost

android-DEP

May 25, 2012
New Jersey
i read that post over at the atrix forum but found it to be entirely meaningless in explaining anything more than just hyping up the rom.

I tried Dorian's previous builds of the red pill hybrids and I do recall having a good experience running his other build based on cm7. But this version seems to be 98% stock cm7 with a nice boot animation. Everything else is the default CM, unless I'm blind, I couldn't find anything else that was touched or modified or altered.

The post on the other forum mentioned Dorian's trademark tweaks but doesn't mention any details about any of them. Besides that, the person who wrote that post is just a user and enthusiast of the rom itself, nothing from Dorian himself or any breakdowns of the rom's features. So i'm just puzzled about this release, I'm curious if Dorian did in fact do something that doesn't have an interface and maybe added some other mods to the cm framework, hopefully someone can find more details on this build, i'd love to read up more about these redpill hybrid rare builds that float around online

kkuuo

Jul 21, 2012
Chuncheon
Yes I think so.
What's difference of this rom and CM7?
Oh, I also think it's just a boot animation
no theme, and no feel difference by cm7.

Last edited:

kkuuo

Jul 21, 2012
Chuncheon
I sent Dorian a PM asking for more details. When I have 'em, you'll have' em. :) But I can say this: he's done ROMs for quite a few devices, and I highly doubt he'd do nothing but simply replace the boot loader and slap his name on it...

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

then, what is Dorian's trademark tweak?
I couldnt find any specials...

then, what is Dorian's trademark tweak?
I couldnt find any specials...
He doesn't have a "trademark" tweak, as far as I'm aware. His thing is overall stability and reliability, not flash and gimmicks. It doesn't make for a "sexy" ROM; if that's what one is looking for, one is in the wrong spot. :)

(I do know a few visible changes off the bat. He replaced the ugly default font with something more pleasant (Segoe UI Light, I think),and he removed the useless Androidian and Cyanbread themes.)

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kkuuo

Notorious544d

Aug 18, 2011
London
This has been the only CM7 ROM that DOESN'T give me wifi connection troubles. LOVE IT! Thanks!
Really?? Wow - can anybody confirm?

Regarding the actual ROM though, I agree with MJPollard. Dorian is a very experienced developer who also helped me out during the early days of Neutrino ROM. As I am basically a ROM cook and Dorian is a proper developer, I can assume that Dorian's tweaks are more 'background' tweaks rather than 'apparent' features. This means that you could expect Dorian's ROM to be more stable than CM7 as that is where Dorian's priority lies. As CM7 is pretty stable already, the background tweaks Dorian has added may not be apparent straight away, but will be after using the ROM for a long time.

That's just my 2 cents though - I haven't tried his new build yet but his previous one was really smooth.

=JKT=

Mar 19, 2012
Hamilton
My favourite 2 roms on desire z were a CM7 rom and a sense rom. Both had no ui or settings alterations. They just cleaned up the code and made device-specific optimizations. Nothing flashy. But when you realize you've been on the same rom for 3 months without a second thought (when you are a flashaholic at heart!), you know it has been done right.

Sometimes the change log looks like this:

Cleaned up some code.
Updated libs.
Optimized.

Because there is nothing to prove.

Not saying that IS the case. I'm just saying try it. If it is stable and fast with good battery life, it is a good rom.

And also, isn't the boot animation different from bootloader? Just saying...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know lots of people are looking for new CM7 stuff to flash! well I seen a rom called Dorians Redpill cm7 Hybrid v1 around the forum in some peoples sigs and such but nobody has made it available here so... I googled it and found this! http://jwhite.macleod-web.net/resources/atrixforums/CM7/RedPill Hybrid V1 RC.zip

and I gotta say this is definetly worth a flash it's damn nice!

Note: I only found this link and made it available here! I had nothing to do with making this rom! This was made by a dev named Dorian on another forum! So please give credit where credit is due! :D

And I sure as **** am not responsible for any damage you cause to your phone from flashing this! As I said I only found the link and am making it available for all the flashing fiends out there such as myself! That is all! Happy flashing! :D

Update: Actually there was one problem I experienced when I first flashed this that I forgot to mention! you may have to possibly redo your apns or restore them from a backup as I did experience a problem with my mobile connection when I first installed.
    Latest post from Dorian:
    [...] Many of the parts that I use in RedPill were edited in a sloppy manor by someone else before I got them, meaning I can't cleanly decompile/recompile some things. Since I can't do that, it means I can't completely theme it. When things don't fit a theme in 99% of the ROM it really bothers me. I could release RedPill as-is though, and you guys could just use it that way if you really don't care. It would just bother me, since in my mind it's not complete.

[...] Another reason I've been a bit quiet lately is the device I have is failing. There's a light halo around the outside of the LCD panel, the internal storage is on the fritz, and the MicroSD card slot hasn't worked for a while. So testing new stuff is a bit difficult, especially when the internal storage decides to just stop working sometimes... because it's on/off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, AT&T is replacing it...

Just to let you guys know, you're not forgotten about. :)
    Thought you guys might appreciate the info. Hardware issues and a bit of OCD by the developer would tend to delay a new release. :D
    Shut up.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App
    Just FYI, Dorian has released a new version of RedPill-CM7 (dated 9-1-2012). It's based on the most current CM7.2 source to date (compiled by Dorian, not hacked from an existing release), and has all of his usual stability and reliability tweaks. The default CM7 font has also been replaced with something that's not ugly (this includes the desk clock). :D Note that this release no longer includes ICS-style UI elements, but you can still get that with one of the many ICS themes in the Play Store.

Go here for all the details, or you can download it here (and get the Google Apps package here). Enjoy!
    I feel an obligation to remind everyone that we were all "noobs" at some point. ;) The only way to not be a "noob" is to acquire knowledge, and I've often found that kicking them in the teeth isn't the best way to impart knowledge. Perhaps we "superior beings" should keep this in mind, and cut others a little slack instead of cutting them down? It doesn't take much extra effort to say, "You can find the answer over here, and for future reference, perhaps you should do such-and-such," instead of, "Go Google it, you noob a**hole!" (Okay, I haven't actually seen anyone call someone "a**hole," but that's the sentiment nonetheless.)