DOSBox for WP/W10M

Search This thread

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
@Baenwort, I don't have any plans to add Continuum support however you are still able to get DOSBox on the large TV screen in the mirroring mode, just follow instructions from OP

Baenwort

Mar 31, 2008
Do you have a list explaining why you need the permissions that the app requests?

The one in particular that I am concerned about is the internet server one but I am always curious about all of them as sometimes it leads one to knowledge of ways to accomplish tasks in new ways when an app does something without evoking certain permissions or accomplishes a task under a permission other than the typical.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Do you have a list explaining why you need the permissions that the app requests

Use devices that support Near Field Communication (NFC) services
Bluetooth device

These permissions are needed for BT IrCOMM support (for MOGA controller).

Access your Internet connection and act as a server.
This one was added 'cause I planned to test/use network connections for the DOSBox. Probably currently it's not needed. However I can't remember exactly: maybe, BT service wasn't working without that permission...

Use your pictures library
Use data stored on an external storage device
Use your music library

These ones needed for your DOSBox "home" folder on WP8.1 handsets (i.e. folder visible from PC side)

By the way, DOSBox app doesn't collect/share any information from your phone, I give you my word (and my privacy policy said this too ;) ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Baenwort

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
I cant figure out how to get Windows 3.1 to run in a decent resolution on my 950 XL. I don't know if it's a DOSbox setting or a Windows setting. I'd like to have it set to 1280x720 (pixel-doubled).

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Sorry, @dragon_76, it's not possible and I don't have any plans to support this. By the way, Win 3.1 (same as Win 95) is almost useless on the handset. DOSBox, actually, good for running some simple (but good) old DOS games like Sierra's quests etc. What are you trying to achieve?

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
@augustinionut, DOSBox is a WP8.1 UWP, not a W10M. But you don't need Continuum mode at all: just switch second screen to "mirror mode" (from Continuum display settings) and enjoy old games on the large TV screen.

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sorry, @dragon_76, it's not possible and I don't have any plans to support this. By the way, Win 3.1 (same as Win 95) is almost useless on the handset. DOSBox, actually, good for running some simple (but good) old DOS games like Sierra's quests etc. What are you trying to achieve?

I've used DOSbox on Windows and Android and I have been able to run Windows 3.1 quite well. There are issues with your version (that I purchased for $2.99USD) that are not present on other versions, namely video and mouse input.

I have a pre-installed version of Windows 3.1 that works on DOSbox. There's just problems with mouse on your version, even when using a Bluetooth mouse.

I am wanting to run an old Windows 3.1 game "Prince Interactive" (it's like Myst).

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
There's just problems with mouse on your version, even when using a Bluetooth mouse.

There are few differences between Android and Windows Phone SDL (DOSBox is a SDL-based app) implementations. Windows (even 3.1) is working differently than DOS programs by implementing it's own mouse driver. So when mouse leaves "working area", Windows continue to count "mickeys" (small mouse "steps" i.e. measurement wheels changes). What's why you experienced some troubles. I can recommend you to "adjust" BT mouse area first by moving pointer around all visible Windows screen.

I'm still don't know how to properly fix this behavior (already tried many things).

Swordfishx86

Sorry for crossposting, but my inquiry fits better in here cause its related to the current Fast Ring release 10.0.15007.1000 of Windows 10:

Haven't tried your DOSBox port on earlier releases but ...

the return key [-->] isn't working in the current version running on 10.0.15007.1000.
I'll gladly provide you with more information if needed.
cheers, Swordfish

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
DOSBox got (finally, after seven tries!) a major update to version 2.0.1

There are two very important features in this version:
- DOSBox become W10M UWP app (it was WP8.1 UWP before this update)
- now you can avoid files synchronization by placing DOSBox home folder on the sd-card!

I strongly recommend to uninstall and reinstall app, to get rid from stored files on the app's local storage.

Other features added (but most for the paid version only):
- basic and extended Continuum support
- Xbox controllers support (tested with Xbox 360 & Xbox One controllers)
- extended support of MOGA controllers (tested with MOGA Boost but now should work with any MOGA BT controller)

Next week (starting this Sunday) app will be on sale, so hurry up! Also, please re-rate this version again even if you rated before (this is also important).

Reactions: nate0 and dxdy

dxdy

Apr 17, 2008
www.red-gsm.net
Nokia Lumia 920
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S

- now you can avoid files synchronization by placing DOSBox home folder on the sd-card!

I strongly recommend to uninstall and reinstall app, to get rid from stored files on the app's local storage.

- extended support of MOGA controllers (tested with MOGA Boost but now should work with any MOGA BT controller)

Next week (starting this Sunday) app will be on sale, so hurry up! Also, please re-rate this version again even if you rated before (this is also important).

not working... L950XL, Insider Slow build 15063.2

using already used folder "Dosbox" but app not synchronize (read) content... when enter C:\dir and hit enter nothing show... i can hit enter decent times but nothing

did i must make clean folder and copy files after that??? edit: clean Dosbox folder not helping...

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170408_0002.png
    wp_ss_20170408_0002.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
@dxdy, you don't understand: you still have to use app's "mount folder" dialog (from menu), but if you choose folder "DOSBox" located on sd-card, you don't need to synchronize files anymore (previous version copied all files and folders to the app's local storage). But you can't mount sd-card directly from DOSBox because of Windows Runtime API limitations.

Also, if you want mount big ISO images, you must copy 'em to your DOSBox "home" folder on sd-card. If you'll try to mount (via internal dialog) these images from different location (for example, from D:\Downloads), app will copy that image to the internal storage.

Last edited:

dxdy

Apr 17, 2008
www.red-gsm.net
Nokia Lumia 920
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
But you can't mount sd-card directly from DOSBox because of Windows Runtime API limitations.

tried to mount to internal memory but same problem... no matter what wrote in command line, when press enter nothing happens... maybe because insider build?

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170408_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20170408_0003.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
found solution! must use Return button from OSD buttons! enter from keyboard not working

Hmm, it's really strange; everything worked fine deployed from Visual Studio :( Will check a store version and provide an update if needed...

P.S. Looks like it's another f&%#g "surprise" from damn M$ :( Please try attached version: it works fine with sd-card (and exactly this version was submitted to the store!)

Attachments

• DosBox_2.0.1.0_ARM.appx.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Reactions: dxdy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for the repost, guys but just in case if someone who's not reading old, outdated WP8 forums I want to introduce a DOSBox app for windows phones: http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-phone-8/apps-games/free-app-dosbox-emulator-t3396177

In general, having working DOSBox on your WP (and have ability to run Windows 3.11, 95 or 98 on your handset) is still a very good hack, same as a WPTweaker app :)

I can provide a free code for XDA members who meet some requirements:
    • your xda account must be at least 2 years old mature;
    • you should post store link to the app with your good comments on your FB or other social network;
    • you must rate app "5 stars" at the store;
    Just mark: messages from brand new accounts will be ignored.

WBR, SeNS

P.S. If you find this post inappropriate for this forum, don't afraid, pls send a report to the mods - no problems at all! ;)
    @sensboston yes fixed, now works fine.
    OK, guys please try sideload version 2.0.5 on CU; I believe (and hope) that "Enter" issue is solved by this release.

Please report how it goes, OK? Thanks!

When i using interop tools install. Failed. Help me

download, rename file to .appx, put file on phone and install with File Explorer (just run file)