Double tap to check: old version with dark screen?

Search This thread

drummerdick

Feb 17, 2011
Kansas City
Is the new version of the double tap to check phone that wakes up the full screen a permanent/intentional change? Any way to get the old, dark, minimal screen check back? If there's another thread, that'd be great I'm just not finding it searching/searching the wrong terms.

Stock Pixel 3. Willing to go to custom ROM to get it back, but would prefer a simple solution. Thanks!

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
Unfortunately no, the ambient display is gone as a double tap to wake feature. It'll only show if you have Always on Display turned on. It's dumb that they got rid of this. On the OG Pixel it's also removed in Android 10, but they didn't add in Always on Display to it.

Reactions: drummerdick

nsg86

Jun 21, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Is the new version of the double tap to check phone that wakes up the full screen a permanent/intentional change? Any way to get the old, dark, minimal screen check back? If there's another thread, that'd be great I'm just not finding it searching/searching the wrong terms.

Stock Pixel 3. Willing to go to custom ROM to get it back, but would prefer a simple solution. Thanks!

I learned it somewhere that to set lock screen as black colour wallpaper, to kinda mimic the dark minimal screen ...

Reactions: drummerdick

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unfortunately no, the ambient display is gone as a double tap to wake feature. It'll only show if you have Always on Display turned on. It's dumb that they got rid of this. On the OG Pixel it's also removed in Android 10, but they didn't add in Always on Display to it.

I learned it somewhere that to set lock screen as black colour wallpaper, to kinda mimic the dark minimal screen ...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone