DraStic nintendo ds emulator on shield

Search This thread

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
I have uploaded a video of a new nintendo ds emulator that im beta testing running on the shield. Its in private beta so dont ask for a copy or how to join the beta test.

EDIT:
Google play link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0KR42DFEhY

If your interested I have more videos in my channel and lots more on the way. Some specific to the shield and emulators, some specific to just DraStic.

Be sure to like and subscribe if you like what you see or want to see more.

Last edited:
Reactions: demandarin

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Wow, I can't believe it runs so well. I have pretty much every game I could want for the DS but it would be fun to play on a nicer screen. Maybe one of those stylus that works on capacitive screens would be good to have for the touch heavy based games.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
Wow, I can't believe it runs so well. I have pretty much every game I could want for the DS but it would be fun to play on a nicer screen. Maybe one of those stylus that works on capacitive screens would be good to have for the touch heavy based games.

I have a request in to do like a on screen mapping for the right analog stick for touchscreen input for games that use the touchscreen for an control method as demonstrated in the video. It is a problem with emulating that platform with a device that doesn't share the same form factor with it's combination of hardware controls and touchscreen. (OUYA, tablet + moga/PS3/xbox360, xperia play, etc etc) if all touchscreen device it's a natural switch.

I didn't do it in the video, but you can use the right stick and click (push down & hold) and it simulates the touchscreen input. But it's kind of a pain to constantly push in. If the option doesn't get implemented I think a 3rd party on screen mapper program could serve the same purpose.

Last edited:

agrabren

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
I have a request in to do like a on screen mapping for the right analog stick for touchscreen input for games that use the touchscreen for an control method as demonstrated in the video. It is a problem with emulating that platform with a device that doesn't share the same form factor with it's combination of hardware controls and touchscreen. (OUYA, tablet + moga/PS3/xbox360, xperia play, etc etc) if all touchscreen device it's a natural switch.

I didn't do it in the video, but you can use the right stick and click (push down & hold) and it simulates the touchscreen input. But it's kind of a pain to constantly push in. If the option doesn't get implemented I think a 3rd party on screen mapper program could serve the same purpose.

If you can put the authors in touch with me, I can offer them some assistance. Emulators are a great win on this device, so I'd be glad to give them any assistance they need on how to get it working better.

Reactions: demandarin

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
If you can put the authors in touch with me, I can offer them some assistance. Emulators are a great win on this device, so I'd be glad to give them any assistance they need on how to get it working better.

the authors are Lordus and Exophase on the openpandora forum if you want to PM them

tell them "ANDROID" or "SNESFAN" sent ya, and you're a lead software engineer on the shield, I'll send the message their way as well but I don't think they frequent XDA

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Side by Side, damn thats an odd layout, but works great for the shield I guess.

Is this emulator specific to shield or could it also run on a tablet with a gamepad, and if so can it run portrait?

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
Side by Side, damn thats an odd layout, but works great for the shield I guess.

Is this emulator specific to shield or could it also run on a tablet with a gamepad, and if so can it run portrait?

there's other layouts and other devices demo'ed in one of the other videos in my channel. Side by side or big/little and one screen w/ switch button that makes the most sense layout wise for a landscape only device. But for purposes of this video I just everything default in this one.

There is a top/bottom landscape I'm going to show off in a future video that might be more interesting to some people but it leaves large boarders on the sides.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
there's other layouts and other devices demo'ed in one of the other videos in my channel. Side by side or big/little and one screen w/ switch button that makes the most sense layout wise for a landscape only device. But for purposes of this video I just everything default in this one.

There is a top/bottom landscape I'm going to show off in a future video that might be more interesting to some people but it leaves large boarders on the sides.

Top/Bottom I was more interested in for a tablet etc which I could flip portrait.

This looks like a promising emulator. None of the other DS emulators I have tried in the past have performed well on android at all, this looks to be the first playable one.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
Top/Bottom I was more interested in for a tablet etc which I could flip portrait.

This looks like a promising emulator. None of the other DS emulators I have tried in the past have performed well on android at all, this looks to be the first playable one.

for tablets/phones and stuff there is top/bottom portrait

it runs well on modestly spec'd hardware. The lowest I can suggest is an mono-core cortex a8 @ 1Ghz (xperia play) more cores and next generation chip-sets will perform better according to raw processing power. It works very playable on a dual core a8 @ 1.2Ghz (HTC EVO 3D)

the minimum technical requirements are

ARMv7 (cortex a8, a9, a15 or above)
NEON SIMD extension (tegra 2 specifically is out tegra 3/4 is fine)
Android Gingerbread 2.3.3+ (some extra features will be enabled with a higher version of android)

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Cool. I will be more likely to play this on my S4, but do plan on getting the Shield. Was going to get the Ouya, but the low storage, proprietary market and clunky UI have turned my interest to zero. This has much better specs, portable and has good enough sound where a 24" or 27" pc display without speakers could be used. Low cost arcade system :)

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Cool. I will be more likely to play this on my S4, but do plan on getting the Shield. Was going to get the Ouya, but the low storage, proprietary market and clunky UI have turned my interest to zero. This has much better specs, portable and has good enough sound where a 24" or 27" pc display without speakers could be used. Low cost arcade system :)

Not to mention that any game that runs on the ouya could be ported to run on the shield. Only thing missing would be touchpad support, which the OUYA implements as a HID mouse so a USB mouse may actually fulfil that role. Failing that, touch screen.

There were efforst to get the OUYA framework on other devices to natively attempt to run OUYA titles, I don't know how thats gone, but the shield would be an awesome candidate for that.

arrtoodeetoo

Dec 31, 2010
I've tested it on three games so far and it's by and far the best DS emulator out there. It's so smooth, and it allows for native gamepad mapping, which the others are lacking.

The only problem I'm having is touch input for the bottom screen. How do I enable it?

Also, I'm on a Nexus 10, but since this thread was started by a beta tester, I figured I'd ask here.

Reactions: ronii1123

ronii1123

Jun 30, 2010
Massachusetts and stuff
I've tested it on three games so far and it's by and far the best DS emulator out there. It's so smooth, and it allows for native gamepad mapping, which the others are lacking.

The only problem I'm having is touch input for the bottom screen. How do I enable it?

Also, I'm on a Nexus 10, but since this thread was started by a beta tester, I figured I'd ask here.

In the middle of a game, tap the menu on-screen button which will have a stylus button, tap that and it will allow touch input.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

This emulator is fantastic. Honestly being able to sync your savestates with Google Drive made me wonder "Why hasn't anyone done this before?"

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
What game is shown in the screen shot on the play store where there is a guy with a sword in a dungeon and a blob looking thing? I have a DS and every game I could want at least I thought I did, but I don't recognize that game...

enumBoss

Aug 31, 2010
Boston, MA
This is awesome. Been messing with this emulator since it released on the Play Store. I'm amazed at how well it runs. Haven't run into a single issue with it.

pspmiggz

Aug 12, 2011
This emulator rocks. I have been playing everything I have and not a problem yet. I really like the way I can play Gta Chinatown on my shield and use Google drive to sync my progress so I can pick up on my phone. (Note 2 runs perfect btw)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have uploaded a video of a new nintendo ds emulator that im beta testing running on the shield. Its in private beta so dont ask for a copy or how to join the beta test.

EDIT:
    Google play link
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0KR42DFEhY

If your interested I have more videos in my channel and lots more on the way. Some specific to the shield and emulators, some specific to just DraStic.

Be sure to like and subscribe if you like what you see or want to see more.