• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

DRM Function Restore

Search This thread

FokkerFace

Mar 19, 2015
I'm curious - why people want to unlock bootloader? As far as I understand, in the past you only could root unlocked bootloader, therefore if you really wanted to root - you had to unlock.
Now - you can easily root with locked bootloader, so what is the benefit in unlocking it?
Thanks!

-Happy Feet-

I'm curious - why people want to unlock bootloader? As far as I understand, in the past you only could root unlocked bootloader, therefore if you really wanted to root - you had to unlock.
Now - you can easily root with locked bootloader, so what is the benefit in unlocking it?
Thanks!
The only thing is flash custom kernel

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

dudders007

Aug 13, 2012
I am currently on the stock 5.1.1 (23.4.A.1.200) with UB.
So i shold downgrade to .77 with TA files and do the procedure on it right?
Can i still keep the restored DRM when i move to other stock based 5.1.1 roms?
If so, should i simply flash the DRM files for LP after flashing the ROM??

No1s gonna answer??? I followed the procedure n i hav the features back.. Hurrah!!!
But now i am on the .77 version..
Ne way i can root, install a stock based rom and still keep DRM features?

MiracuruZRH

Oct 15, 2015
Zurich
Confused

I am new in this forum therefore i can't reply directly to the original thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/xperia-z1-z2-z3-series-devices-drm-t2930672/page116

There are so many different ways and ROMs etc. so i'm lost.

I did not backed up my TA Keys. while unlocking.
I repaired my Z3 D6603 with "Sony bridge" on OS X and got now Stock 5.1.1. 23.4.a.1.200 as i had a bootloop.

In all the posts it is not clear for me if i have to do the DRM fix with bootloader open or closed and if i have to go back to KK?
Or can i install a recovery and then apply directly the DRM fix?

Status is:
MARLIN [Unknown Error] [Active]
CKB [Unknown Error] [Active]
WIDEVINE [Unknown Error] [Active]

Thanks for your helps

Last edited:

MiracuruZRH

Oct 15, 2015
Zurich
Okay it has not worked for me

I want to have LP .200 or .546 at the end.

I've locked the bootloader
flashed .77
start to the welcome screen
turned off
unlocked bootloader
flashed .200 without TA
flashed boot.img to have TWRP (with fastboot)
flashed the DRM fix without rebooting
reboot to system

Then it starts and splashscreen "optimizing apps" or similar but then stops and reboots (looped).
Can you tell me, where i do a failure?

btw. have now a windows machine to do that.

Silverdace

Aug 8, 2010
I bought a second hand Z3c D5833 and discovered teh bootloader had already been unlocked and no TA backup.

I've searched high and low but can't find a 23.0.1.A.5.77 FTF with TA in it.

Does anyone know where you can find one from? Flashtool and Xperifirm only give latest firmwares, not old ones.

vidge1111

Nov 30, 2009
Hello, I'm still on locked Bootloader and Android 5.1.1. When I unlock the bootloader via Sony or Flashtool, can I flash this DRM restore zip only or must I got back to the. 77 Firmware? I have installed an custom rom.

LP version will require the DRM Restore for LP v2, not the one on post#1 Please try to do a search or wait for me to update the first post.

Thanks!
Unlocking the bootloader will allow you to install a custom recovery and rom. Rooting only gives you that, root access.

No1s gonna answer??? I followed the procedure n i hav the features back.. Hurrah!!!
But now i am on the .77 version..
Ne way i can root, install a stock based rom and still keep DRM features?
Since you are on 77, you can flash any kitkat-based rom and then flash drm restore zip again to regain drm functions. If you want LP or anything higher than 5.0, you will need to flash a firmware without TA (this is important), then flash a custom LP rom then flast the DRM restore for LPv2 (diff from 77 version)

I want to have LP .200 or .546 at the end.

I've locked the bootloader
flashed .77
start to the welcome screen
turned off
unlocked bootloader
flashed .200 without TA
flashed boot.img to have TWRP (with fastboot)
flashed the DRM fix without rebooting
reboot to system

Then it starts and splashscreen "optimizing apps" or similar but then stops and reboots (looped).
Can you tell me, where i do a failure?

btw. have now a windows machine to do that.
You did everything correct, my suggestion is right after flashing that .200 firmware w/o TA, flash custom rom (with kernel) and flash drm restore zip again. You will need DRM restore for kitkat or LP depending what rom you using.

Sent from my mobile

Reactions: dudders007

dudders007

Aug 13, 2012
Since you are on 77, you can flash any kitkat-based rom and then flash drm restore zip again to regain drm functions. If you want LP or anything higher than 5.0, you will need to flash a firmware without TA (this is important), then flash a custom LP rom then flast the DRM restore for LPv2 (diff from 77 version)

+1 for the reply... M a long way up after this however.. :) Thank you.. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/xperia-z1-z2-z3-series-devices-drm-t2930672
    This page contains the latest zip file to restore drm functions. All you need to do now is to do a factory reset and flash the zip,no more back and forth with firmware versions and such.

Like so many others, I unlocked my Z3 D6653's bootloader before Sony made the announcement on their page that unlocking the bootloader will result in losing DRM keys and therefore also losing nice phone features like x-reality, super vivid, low light camera algorithms, Bravia Engine etc..

After a few months of waiting, someone from here actually may have found some sort of solution (or workaround) .. view full thread here if you're interested: http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/xperia-z1-z2-z3-series-devices-drm-t2930672

The instructions for Sony Xperia's vary.. but after a handful of trial and error, I managed to get mine to work by following this instruction from the same thread above:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boolee

1.Flash ftf file "23.0.1.A.5.77" by Flashtool. - Wipe appslog, cache, data - and reset customizations
    2.Relock bootloader by Flashtool.
    3.Flash ftf file "23.0.1.A.5.77" by Flashtool AGAIN. - Wipe appslog, cache, data
    4.Unlock bootloader by Flashtool.
    5.Flash boot.img "AndroPlusKernel v12" by Fastboot.
    6.Install DRM restore zip by TWRP.
    7.reboot.

Requirements:
    Unlocked bootloader
    flashtool
    .77 based firmware for D6653 (I tried several firmwares but the one that worked for me was the .77 firmware for PH market downloaded from flashtool)
    AndrosPlusKernel v15 (extracted boot.img from the zip to be flashed)
    DRM restore zip from that original thread above (placed in sd card)

Note - Key here is to not restart/boot the phone after each step in the instructions above. Just keep phone off and unplugged after each step. I realized that leaving the phone connected in flashmode for a while will make it boot, so I just unplugged it while waiting for flashtool to prepare FTF for flashing. Then plug it in again with vol down button pressed.

Results:
    Unlike my previous attempts of trying to recover DRM functions, I did not see any difference using the Album app, no matter what settings I changed in display. (xreality, super vivid etc) But after following the steps above, I immediately see changes when I change the display settings. Changing the settings and going back to the Album app, I see that the pictures will darken or lighten a bit depending on what I choose. I have yet to try Miracast or PS4 remote as I do not have any of those hardware to test.

Warning:
    Now, I am not saying that this will work for everybody. It worked for me and hopefully it will also work for those who have gone and unlocked their BL and ended up with a phone with lesser features. I am not saying that you should go ahead and unlock your BL.

Notes:
    If you're willing to try the steps, you may want to thank the original thread starter from the link above. Also, please post feedbacks here and give info of what version of Z3 you are using. The original thread is a bit of a jungle with all Z users posting all sorts of info.
    I am not taking any credit for the instructions or tools, just merely passing information along to my fellow z3 users.
    Made this for you guys but it is barely noob friendly.
    DRM key is mine, i will waiting for root without UB method :p

Well... Root, mods, Xposed, custom roms are mine until then ;)
    The drm function has also worked for me on. 77 firmware.
    Thanks mate taking your time to post instructions for others benefit

Sent from my D6653 using XDA Free mobile app
    im on D6633_23.5.A.1.291
    how can i restore DRM
    please help
    Download DRM remover (choose first based on ur xperia type) in this link https://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/xperia-z1-z2-z3-series-devices-drm-t2930672 you can also find this link on page one in this thread.
    Then if if you already Unlocked Boot Loader just go flash TWRP in kernel mod MM. 291 (you need to find/download it first) via fastboot in flashtool...copy DRM remover in memory external and plug it on ur Z3, go to TWRP and install DRM remover but before install you need to wipe data, cache and dalvik cache first or do the steps from page one of this thread carefully.