Droid 4 On Rogers Wireless (Canada) - Incoming "Pay Phone" caller ID Solution

Search This thread

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com

I recently got my XT894, Droid 4 in the mail, and hooked it up to Rogers Wireless in Canada.

When I was receiving phone calls, the built in dialer would tell me that "Pay Phone" is calling, the solution to contact the Rogers Customer Care, and have them remove the "Name Display" option.

Rogers has 2 services for call display:
Name Display (which does a phonebook lookup from Roger's Side)
Call Display (the number of the dialer who is trying to dial you)

Most motorola radios don't actually support these 2 features together, so Blur reads it as "Pay Phone". After contacting Customer Service, have them remove ONLY "Name Display". I restarted my phone then everything started working properly again.

I hope this helps someone!

Reactions: mediate

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
First off, I wanted to say that I'm on the leak 6.16.206

I also got mobile hotspot working on Rogers (this solution may apply to other rooted users running on different providers).

I added the APN settings as defined originally here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20366961&postcount=2

Name: Rogers Tethering
APN: isp.apn
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
APN type: dun

otherwise, any other fields are showing as <not set> OR None

When I tried to add dun to the apn type, the moto UI told me only providers could add DUN types, so I went into SQLite Editor -> Phone/Messaging Storage -> telephony.db -> carriers -> Located the last APN which I added manually, scrolled over to "type" then long pressed that field, chose "edit field" and added dun. Once completed, I restarted my phone. I now have the stock mobile hotspot app working (I had to also disable the entitlement check earlier) on Rogers!

Reactions: Sjaakbanaan

phoenix_rizzen

Aug 10, 2011
I can confirm that the Droid 4 works on Rogers. Took a week of fiddling, but it works.

Received the Droid 4 with 2.3.4 installed. Did the over-the-air updates to 4.0.4. Rooted it, installed SafeStrap 3, and installed Olegfusion's CM10/JB ROM (4.1.2), and was off to the races. Shows "E", "3G", and "H" when accessing the Internet.

dlucio

Jun 30, 2010
have you ever try with stock kernel?

I wonder not to update to CM10 right now. I have a problem, it seems to connect, 3G/H letter, bu no tranmition. I have an old jaj, Droid3 working perfectly with same APN records.

Any thing that could help me??

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Please help... What does that mean?????
(I'm an imbecile about this stuff!)

LTE on this phone is not compatible with the Rogers network. If you want a Rogers LTE phone, pickup the Motorola RAZR HD. The phone will operate on 3G or 3.5G, although we in Canada consider HSPA+ to be "4G".

LTE can give you rates of up to 100mbps usually gives you about 25-30mbps
HSPA+ can give you rates up to 12-15mbps I usually get 4-5mbps

I hope that helps!

imeem

Sep 27, 2011
how hard is it to get Droid 4 to work with Canada (Rogers)?

Do u have to have unlock it and then update to ICS, and then you're all set?

Last edited:

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com

The phone comes unlocked, you just have to load up ICS and throw on the Rogers APN (rogers-core-appl1.apn) and you're good. If you want to do some of the advanced features like setting up wireless tethering and stuff along those lines, you'll need root. I created a full Rogers how-to on droidforums.net, you can view it here :

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-general-discussion/224932-help-using-droid-4-canada.html

Last edited:
Reactions: imeem

imeem

Sep 27, 2011
The phone comes unlocked, you just have to load up ICS and throw on the Rogers APN (rogers-core-appl1.apn) and you're good. If you want to do some of the advanced features like setting up wireless tethering and stuff along those lines, you'll need root. I created a full Rogers how-to on droidforums.net, you can view it here :

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-general-discussion/224932-help-using-droid-4-canada.html

so you're saying that all droid 4 are already unlocked?

pm2gonzales

Oct 16, 2011
Maybe someone can help me, I'm on Rogers. I have this same issue on Stock ICS .217 and on CM10. I can make phone calls and send text messages, but I cannot receive either. When I put my sim card in to another phone, I start getting my text messages. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

bean1975

Aug 20, 2011
eBay, yes.I got mine as "bad ESN" from a liquidator, it was quite a good deal. Obviously, by now you can find clean ESN versions for below $250.

Anyways, I am on Koodo/Telus. Under Mobile Networks Settings / Network Mode set GSM/UMTS and Select Network must be UTMS only, the default finds GSM which is weird because Telus AFAIK does not even have a GSM network! It has CDMA, HSPA+, LTE even iDEN but not GSM. Before I forced UMTS, phone calls worked more or less but mobile data rarely. Since I forced UMTS I get mobile data everywhere, inside buildings, all that -- I had lots of reception problems with Wind Mobile, Telus is infinitely better.

Last edited:

llama1337

Dec 14, 2012
Terrible Reception on Telus (stock 217, -100dBm)

eBay, yes.I got mine as "bad ESN" from a liquidator, it was quite a good deal. Obviously, by now you can find clean ESN versions for below $250.

Anyways, I am on Koodo/Telus. Under Mobile Networks Settings / Network Mode set GSM/UMTS and Select Network must be UTMS only, the default finds GSM which is weird because Telus AFAIK does not even have a GSM network! It has CDMA, HSPA+, LTE even iDEN but not GSM. Before I forced UMTS, phone calls worked more or less but mobile data rarely. Since I forced UMTS I get mobile data everywhere, inside buildings, all that -- I had lots of reception problems with Wind Mobile, Telus is infinitely better.

I went through the process today and got my stock Verizon 217 Droid 4 working on Telus. I verified the Telus APN settings, went through forcing GSM/UMTS and UMTS-only mode, but still have terrible reception: 1-2 bars, -100dbM. Any thoughts for getting better signal?

mathx

Jul 30, 2012
Toronto
[SOLVED] DROID 4 Canada SMS/voice only, no data on Rogers/Fido - help!

SOLVED! see below.

Droid 4 from Ebay, $135 or something + shipping. Replacing my string of bad luck with i927's from smartphone_wholesale (aka Cell Phone Forever) on ebay (tho the 1st one they sent was great til i lost it).

SMS/Voice is fine but cannot do any cell data on it. Following all settings on fido's site for APNs the fido-core-appl1.apn doesnt work. Had to manually put it in (APN list was blank). Tried my wife's Roger's sim, it populated the APN list itself (4 of them, all combos of internet w or w/o MMS, and rogers +/- 'internet' in the name). None of them work either (they match what's in the fora here and on the rogers site, rogers-core-appl1.apn etc).

Im a bit of a newb: is my phone not unlocked properly or something? What gives? Radio is set to global or GSM/UMTS (CDMA doenst work of course). What's the solution here?

System version: 98.72.18.XT894.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 4.1.2
Baseband Version: CMDA_N_05.25.00R LTEDC_UI_09.1D.00
Kernel: 3.0.8-g473e586
Build #: 9.8.20-72_VZW-18 Feb 8 13:11:57 2013

yes mobile data is on :) (and roaming set to yes but phone states it's not roaming now)

every time i've added apn's and saved i've rebooted (and rebooted twice with wife's SIM in too, in case settings had to go sim -> phone + reboot, etc). No luck any way ive tried.

Thanks for help.

[UPDATE]
belay that request cadet!

Ok I just removed the wife's sim and put mine in, rebooted, and this sim (fido) doesnt populate the APN list. I was in the middle of inputting settings for it, hadn't finished and a buncha text+ came in and wifi is off (I saw I was on Edge, big blue E on status bar). Then before I could even react I had hit save, and data turned off.

Yep, removing "internet" from the APN 'type' works fine. Leave it blank.

W t f. Maybe someone can explain that shiz to me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I recently got my XT894, Droid 4 in the mail, and hooked it up to Rogers Wireless in Canada.

When I was receiving phone calls, the built in dialer would tell me that "Pay Phone" is calling, the solution to contact the Rogers Customer Care, and have them remove the "Name Display" option.

Rogers has 2 services for call display:
    Name Display (which does a phonebook lookup from Roger's Side)
    Call Display (the number of the dialer who is trying to dial you)

Most motorola radios don't actually support these 2 features together, so Blur reads it as "Pay Phone". After contacting Customer Service, have them remove ONLY "Name Display". I restarted my phone then everything started working properly again.

I hope this helps someone!
    First off, I wanted to say that I'm on the leak 6.16.206

I also got mobile hotspot working on Rogers (this solution may apply to other rooted users running on different providers).

I added the APN settings as defined originally here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20366961&postcount=2

Name: Rogers Tethering
    APN: isp.apn
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 720
    APN type: dun

otherwise, any other fields are showing as <not set> OR None

When I tried to add dun to the apn type, the moto UI told me only providers could add DUN types, so I went into SQLite Editor -> Phone/Messaging Storage -> telephony.db -> carriers -> Located the last APN which I added manually, scrolled over to "type" then long pressed that field, chose "edit field" and added dun. Once completed, I restarted my phone. I now have the stock mobile hotspot app working (I had to also disable the entitlement check earlier) on Rogers!

Yes. They are still blocked against US GSM carriers but will work fine everywhere else, no locks.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk