Droid 4 Utility for Windows/Mac/Linux

Search This thread

skylarmb

Aug 21, 2011
Santa Cruz
Hey all! This is the new home of the Droid 4 Utility (NOW WITH SAFESTRAP THANKS TO HASHCODE) for Windows/Mac/Linux!

There are (still) no fastboot files as of writing this (2/28/2012) so use Safestrap at your own risk
Once they come out I will be making a full version that includes fastboot restore. For now, the utility is only a few MB compared to a GB+.

From this point forward I will be taking charge of updating the Droid 4 Utility for Windows/Mac/Linux

This way mattlgroff has a little less work on his hands and can focus more on IMPORTANT things like bootloaders, ICS, etc...

MAC/LINUX: Be sure to read the instructions below (or README file) if you are not familiar with using terminal as root or executing bash scripts!

-Changes
~~as of 2/18/ 11:30PM PST
Fixed bug where Superuser.apk was pushed to /data instead of /system/app/
Fixed unroot script to properly remove Superuser.apk
~~as of 2/19 4:30 PM PST
Fixed chmod in root method from 4775 to 6775
~~as of 2/28 6:15PM PST
Added Safestrap recovery!!
~~as of 3/2
fixed script to chmod +x ./files -R so that you can actually run the files on mac and linux (that would be important huh?)

DOWNLOADS

WINDOWS
Size: 7.75 MB
MD5: f82bf8d8a085ff95b696712b8caa0f1b
Link: http://tinyw.in/KKB8

MAC
Size: 7.19 MB
MD5: dc8468d051d59963914a0b8a054b83b8
Link: http://tinyw.in/vx2A

LINUX
Size: 7.26 MB
MD5: 0c082efbff48e614b9d8ebffc7eca3eb
Link: http://tinyw.in/tpt0

Here's how:

Windows:

Simply Unzip the files, and run Droid4Windows.bat as administrator (right click>run as administrator)

Mac/Linux:

Simply extract the zip then

Code:
su

Then enter the root password NOTE: This is not YOUR password, this is the ROOT password. If you dont know it, you can always use

Code:
sudo passwd

to reset the root password

Next run:

Code:
cd /the path to where you extracted the files/

for example, heres what I have to type:

Code:
cd /home/skylar/Desktop/Droid4UtilityLinux/

next run the appropriate bash script:

Code:
bash Droid4linux
OR
Code:
bash Droid4mac

I'm sorry to say I don't actually own a Droid 4, so I'm doing this blind. Please report any problems or bugs you have.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy! [/SIZE]

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

SCREENSHOTS

6IPnB.png

YDHAU.png

srVOz.png

HBpBS.png

RyKQc.png

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

Last edited:
Reactions: b.mann and jy3ng4

prodigyweb

Jan 5, 2009
I can not get this to unroot.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Easy rooting toolkit (v1.0)
UNROOTING SCRIPT
created by DooMLoRD
based heavily on FlashTool scripts (by Bin4ry and Androxyde)
Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!
MAKE SURE THAT THE SCREEN IS UNLOCKED
and if you get Superuser prompts ACCEPT/ALLOW THEM
ELSE THIS WILL NOT WORK

Note: This removes superuser from both possible locations
So seeing one error of now finding Superuser is NORMAL!
Press any key to continue . . .
--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
The system cannot find the path specified.
--- TESTING FOR SU PERMISSIONS
ELSE THIS WILL NOT WORK
--- cleaning
--- pushing busybox
--- correcting permissions
--- remounting /system
ELSE THIS WILL NOT WORK
--- pushing unroot script
--- correcting permissions
--- executing unroot
ELSE THIS WILL NOT WORK
--- cleaning
--- rebooting
ALL DONE
Press any key to continue . . .

Please make a selection or hit ENTER to return:

Last edited:

prodigyweb

Jan 5, 2009
appears after a phone/computer reboot and canceling the ADB process in my tasks it now is rebooting the phone and working. Thanks!

Last edited:

reigndropz

Feb 26, 2009
Hm, I turned on USB Debugging in the settings, but it's not starting up when I plug in a USB cable, and adb can't find the device. ???

While your phone is plugged in, see what drivers are in device manager and remove them. Then restart your phone while its still connected through USB. See if that reinstalls all the necessary drivers and try again.

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
While your phone is plugged in, see what drivers are in device manager and remove them. Then restart your phone while its still connected through USB. See if that reinstalls all the necessary drivers and try again.

This is Linux, so no device manager. I think I needed to add the Motorola vendorID to my udev rules first, I got it working eventually. Rooted, great. Now to go and fix the character maps so I can fully use Connectbot.

reigndropz

Feb 26, 2009
This is Linux, so no device manager. I think I needed to add the Motorola vendorID to my udev rules first, I got it working eventually. Rooted, great. Now to go and fix the character maps so I can fully use Connectbot.

Ah ok.....how are you with deodexing? I have been trying to deodex the SystemUI but I am not having any success. I add the jars but it keeps going and going and doesnt seem to end. Soon as I get the SystemUI deodexed, I'll throw a battery percent icon here....

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
Ah ok.....how are you with deodexing? I have been trying to deodex the SystemUI but I am not having any success. I add the jars but it keeps going and going and doesnt seem to end. Soon as I get the SystemUI deodexed, I'll throw a battery percent icon here....

Hm, haven't done anything with theming tweaks. Dunno, sorry.

You need adb to be enabled at boot time, so you can adb logcat during the startup and see what failed.

By the way, the Linux archive is not immediately usable, you need to chmod +x everything under the files/ subdirectory to make them executable first.

Last edited:

skylarmb

Aug 21, 2011
Santa Cruz
Hm, haven't done anything with theming tweaks. Dunno, sorry.

You need adb to be enabled at boot time, so you can adb logcat during the startup and see what failed.

By the way, the Linux archive is not immediately usable, you need to chmod +x everything under the files/ subdirectory to make them executable first.

Hey thanks for pointing that out! I didnt notice because they were already executable on my computer. I added
Code:
chmod +x ./files -R
to the script on startup so no one should have to manually do it anymore, sorry about that :D

skylarmb

Aug 21, 2011
Santa Cruz
I can not get this to unroot.

Make sure you have done all of the steps below

Prework
1. Plug in phone to computer.
2. Turn on USB Debugging. Menu -> Settings -> Application -> Development -> USB Debugging
3. Confirm latest Moto driver is installed. Go to Device Manager on Windows while the D4 is plugged into it and confirm you see ADB Interface listed with Mot Composite ADB Interface listed in the group. If you see that, skip #4 & #5. There are other ways to go about this, but this is the simplest and surefire way to confirm the driver is there and compatible.
4. Go get Moto driver and install it: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA It is an exe file that must be run and your computer has to restart when completed.
5. Go back into your Device Manager after reboot with the phone plugged in and confirm ADB Interface is there and no error exists.

Done.

SupperDroid

Jan 18, 2011
I can't get this to root, it appeared to have rooted once since Superuser was installed but TBU said not root access. Now I get message " error more than one device and emulator" when I try to root again or unroot. any idea?

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
contemplating getting this through a client, any word on fastboot and unlocked updates?

or is the droid 4 destined to be like all other moto phones and lack a soul... :D

I really wanted the Photon, but dev on it was strangled to death!

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
contemplating getting this through a client, any word on fastboot and unlocked updates?

or is the droid 4 destined to be like all other moto phones and lack a soul... :D

I really wanted the Photon, but dev on it was strangled to death!

The phone itself is great. Good build quality, fantastic keyboard, fast, etc. I have not heard any news on fastboot files yet. I assume it's just a matter of time but who really knows for sure. Unlock updates? As in unlock the bootloader? I don't ever expect to see that happen, personally.

Despite that, development seems to be coming along nicely with very usable AOSP CM9, AOKP, and Gummy ROMs. The relative ease with which Razr ROMs can be ported to the D4 (due to almost identical internal components) should help on that front as well as Razr development is seems very strong.

mancowmilitia

Dec 6, 2010
Does this Utility still work after the latest update?

I had previously rooted via this utility and had frozen a bit of bloatware w/ TB. I have since unfrozen the bloatware and unrooted. As soon as the install message pops up again I plan to run the update, but was wondering if I will be able to re-root the same way once I do that.

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Does this Utility still work after the latest update?

I had previously rooted via this utility and had frozen a bit of bloatware w/ TB. I have since unfrozen the bloatware and unrooted. As soon as the install message pops up again I plan to run the update, but was wondering if I will be able to re-root the same way once I do that.

I've heard people having mixed results trying to re-root using the utility. Some seem to have no problem but others said they had to run the exploit directly. Not sure why.

I just used the Voodoo OTA Root Keeper app to hide root while the update was being applied and then restored root.

mancowmilitia

Dec 6, 2010
I've heard people having mixed results trying to re-root using the utility. Some seem to have no problem but others said they had to run the exploit directly. Not sure why.

I just used the Voodoo OTA Root Keeper app to hide root while the update was being applied and then restored root.

I installed the upgrade with no issues. I was able to re-root without complication as well. The only message I received was that the Superuser.apk installation "failed" because it was already there. Others have noted that unrooting doesn't delete the file. But, its presence did not stop my upgrade.

This time I installed Voodoo and will go that route for the next OTA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all! This is the new home of the Droid 4 Utility (NOW WITH SAFESTRAP THANKS TO HASHCODE) for Windows/Mac/Linux!

There are (still) no fastboot files as of writing this (2/28/2012) so use Safestrap at your own risk
    Once they come out I will be making a full version that includes fastboot restore. For now, the utility is only a few MB compared to a GB+.

From this point forward I will be taking charge of updating the Droid 4 Utility for Windows/Mac/Linux

This way mattlgroff has a little less work on his hands and can focus more on IMPORTANT things like bootloaders, ICS, etc...

MAC/LINUX: Be sure to read the instructions below (or README file) if you are not familiar with using terminal as root or executing bash scripts!

-Changes
    ~~as of 2/18/ 11:30PM PST
    Fixed bug where Superuser.apk was pushed to /data instead of /system/app/
    Fixed unroot script to properly remove Superuser.apk
    ~~as of 2/19 4:30 PM PST
    Fixed chmod in root method from 4775 to 6775
    ~~as of 2/28 6:15PM PST
    Added Safestrap recovery!!
    ~~as of 3/2
    fixed script to chmod +x ./files -R so that you can actually run the files on mac and linux (that would be important huh?)

DOWNLOADS

WINDOWS
    Size: 7.75 MB
    MD5: f82bf8d8a085ff95b696712b8caa0f1b
    Link: http://tinyw.in/KKB8

MAC
    Size: 7.19 MB
    MD5: dc8468d051d59963914a0b8a054b83b8
    Link: http://tinyw.in/vx2A

LINUX
    Size: 7.26 MB
    MD5: 0c082efbff48e614b9d8ebffc7eca3eb
    Link: http://tinyw.in/tpt0

Here's how:

Windows:

Simply Unzip the files, and run Droid4Windows.bat as administrator (right click>run as administrator)

Mac/Linux:

Simply extract the zip then

Code:
    su

Then enter the root password NOTE: This is not YOUR password, this is the ROOT password. If you dont know it, you can always use

Code:
    sudo passwd

to reset the root password

Next run:

Code:
    cd /the path to where you extracted the files/

for example, heres what I have to type:

Code:
    cd /home/skylar/Desktop/Droid4UtilityLinux/

next run the appropriate bash script:

Code:
    bash Droid4linux
    OR
    Code:
    bash Droid4mac

I'm sorry to say I don't actually own a Droid 4, so I'm doing this blind. Please report any problems or bugs you have.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy! [/SIZE]

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

SCREENSHOTS

6IPnB.png

YDHAU.png

srVOz.png

HBpBS.png

RyKQc.png

CLICK HERE TO DONATE
    Just update the ICS only tool and added a lite version. If you just want to root all you need is the lite version. This is Dan Rosenburg's root method.
    All the links are dead - needing the linux version....

This is probably not what you are looking for. The utility referred to in this thread is for D4s running GB. If you're looking for the JB version of the utility, look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2207384.