Droid Turbo conquers Europe!

Search This thread

subvertz

Feb 9, 2012
Bergen
any news about unlock LTE band 20 for turbo or maxx?

I dont know of any news about unlocking new bands.
But in my particular case here, I recently tried a Simcard for a Telenor MNVO. 4G worked like a charm.
So, it is my carrier Netcom that is somehow incompatible or blocking my Turbo from using 4G on a frequency band match.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Will it work with my network?
900 MHz 2G
1800 MHz 2G
2100 MHz 3G
800 MHz ir 2600 MHz 4G

To clarify, there were TWO Motorola Quark devices (phones) released under three different model names: Droid Turbo, Moto Turbo, Moto Maxx.

FCC ID IHDT56PK1 (both below are the EXACT SAME device, sold under two different model names)
  • U.S. Droid Turbo
    [*]U.S. Moto Maxx
XT1254_XT1250_zpsa1pbiatr.png

FCC ID IHDT56PK2
  • "international" Moto Turbo
    [*]"international" Moto Maxx
specs_zpsdqolp6qj.jpg

Unless you specifically need LTE band 13 or specifically need CDMA bands, the "international" XT1225 Moto Turbo/Moto Maxx (two different model names, depending on where you buy it) is usually the best choice for people who do not use Verizon. Has more HSPA bands and more LTE bands. However it does not have LTE band 13 nor CDMA. I am running two of them on AT&T in the U.S. Has ALL the AT&T LTE bands. ;) The XT1225 has unlock-able bootloader, root, TWRP and several custom ROMs.

For people who do use Verizon, the XT1250 U.S. Moto Maxx was usually the best choice over the XT1254 Droid Turbo, especially if you wanted to unlock your bootloader, root, install TWRP custom recovery, etc. The XT1250 is IDENTICAL to the XT1254 -- has the same CDMA/LTE bands, even the same FCC ID and has unlock-able bootloader. The XT1250 was basically the "dev" version of the Droid Turbo. Sold by regional U.S. CDMA/LTE carriers. It runs on Verizon with a Verizon SIM card, just like a non-Verizon Moto Nexus 6. Lots of people bought them, rooted them, run them on Verizon... However, now that the Droid Turbo bootloader has been reportedly hacked, there's really no difference between the two. That was the only difference -- the XT1250 bootloader was unlock-able, whereas the XT1254 was locked down by Verizon.

NOTE: The Quark device called the Droid Turbo was NEVER exclusive to Verizon. Other U.S. carriers sold it. That "exclusive" claim was a Verzion marketing lie, only covering the "Droid" part of the model name, NOT the device itself. Even the "Turbo" name was used by Motorola for another Quark model, the XT1225 Moto Turbo. Verizon licenses the "Droid" name from Disney/Lucas Arts, so any phone they wish to call a "Droid" can be a Droid and no other carrier can have "Droid"-labelled phones. Big deal. :rolleyes: The XT1250 U.S. Moto Maxx is the EXACT SAME PHONE, just sold under a different model name and even sold IN THE UNITED STATES by several carriers. The shared FCC ID gives it away. This happens all the time in the cell phone industry -- so knowledgeable people take any carrier "exclusive" claims with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: toroloco73

toroloco73

Feb 11, 2012
To clarify, there were TWO Motorola Quark devices (phones) released under three different model names: Droid Turbo, Moto Turbo, Moto Maxx.

FCC ID IHDT56PK1 (both below are the EXACT SAME device, sold under two different model names)
  • U.S. Droid Turbo
    [*]U.S. Moto Maxx
XT1254_XT1250_zpsa1pbiatr.png

FCC ID IHDT56PK2
  • "international" Moto Turbo
    [*]"international" Moto Maxx
specs_zpsdqolp6qj.jpg

Unless you specifically need LTE band 13 or specifically need CDMA bands, the "international" XT1225 Moto Turbo/Moto Maxx (two different model names, depending on where you buy it) is usually the best choice for people who do not use Verizon. Has more HSPA bands and more LTE bands. However it does not have LTE band 13 nor CDMA. I am running two of them on AT&T in the U.S. Has ALL the AT&T LTE bands. ;) The XT1225 has unlock-able bootloader, root, TWRP and several custom ROMs.

For people who do use Verizon, the XT1250 U.S. Moto Maxx was usually the best choice over the XT1254 Droid Turbo, especially if you wanted to unlock your bootloader, root, install TWRP custom recovery, etc. The XT1250 is IDENTICAL to the XT1254 -- has the same CDMA/LTE bands, even the same FCC ID and has unlock-able bootloader. The XT1250 was basically the "dev" version of the Droid Turbo. Sold by regional U.S. CDMA/LTE carriers. It runs on Verizon with a Verizon SIM card, just like a non-Verizon Moto Nexus 6. Lots of people bought them, rooted them, run them on Verizon... However, now that the Droid Turbo bootloader has been reportedly hacked, there's really no difference between the two. That was the only difference -- the XT1250 bootloader was unlock-able, whereas the XT1254 was locked down by Verizon.

NOTE: The Quark device called the Droid Turbo was NEVER exclusive to Verizon. Other U.S. carriers sold it. That "exclusive" claim was a Verzion marketing lie, only covering the "Droid" part of the model name, NOT the device itself. Even the "Turbo" name was used by Motorola for another Quark model, the XT1225 Moto Turbo. Verizon licenses the "Droid" name from Disney/Lucas Arts, so any phone they wish to call a "Droid" can be a Droid and no other carrier can have "Droid"-labelled phones. Big deal. :rolleyes: The XT1250 U.S. Moto Maxx is the EXACT SAME PHONE, just sold under a different model name and even sold IN THE UNITED STATES by several carriers. The shared FCC ID gives it away. This happens all the time in the cell phone industry -- so knowledgeable people take any carrier "exclusive" claims with a grain of salt.

Yes i know that but it hasn't band 20 LTE/4G…
That band is the most used in my country by mobile providers…

So i don't know if i can unlock with this method, or it is impossible by hw limitstions.

Inviato dal mio XT1092 utilizzando Tapatalk

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Yes i know that but it hasn't band 20 LTE/4G…
That band is the most used in my country by mobile providers…

So i don't know if i can unlock with this method, or it is impossible by hw limitstions.

Inviato dal mio XT1092 utilizzando Tapatalk

No, many people have tried to unlock LTE band 20 and it can't be done on the Quarks because it's not there to begin with. The reason "unlocking" LTE bands works with some other manufacturers like Samsung because they make different models for different carriers/different world regions but use the same hardware template. They just lock down the various bands not needed via software. So, Europe Samsung phone model might have LTE band 20 but not in Asia, while the Asia version would have LTE bands not used in Europe. They are really there, but locked down. If you get root, you can then use software tools (QPST, etc) to unlock those bands.

However, there are no Quark models with LTE band 20 sold anywhere in the world. Motorola never put it in. So, LTE band 20 isn't "locked down", it's totally missing.

You can "unlock" it on the software side, but the hardware does not support it. You can't create something out of nothing.

That's a very simplified explanation but the best I can give.

For instance, theoretically it might be possible to enable LTE band 13 on the "international" XT1225 or LTE band 5 on the U.S. XT1254 just because the XT254 has LTE band 13 and the XT1225 has LTE band 5. See what I mean? Those bands EXIST on other Quarks, so depending Motorola's manufacturing process, ALL Quarks could possibly have those bands, but they're just locked down. But it's impossible to enable LTE band 20.

Last edited:

PeterTheGeek

Nov 14, 2015
Little question here~
Does the Nexus6 and Droid Turbo have the same radio chip? If that so, if a turbo is unlocked (like xt1250) it will have the same band enabled as nexus6?
And by the way, I live in China and my droid turbo works great under china telecom. Just need to modify APN a bit and it's ready to roll.

Sent from my XT1254

subvertz

Feb 9, 2012
Bergen
So what are the bands that a xt1254 physically support but disabled on the software level?

Sent from my XT1254
Here are the bands straight from Moto US and Moto Brazil sites.

Verizon Droid Turbo Bands
LTE Cat 4 (Bands 2, 3, 4, 7, 13)
CDMA/EVDO Rev A (850, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Carrier Aggregation (B4+13)

Moto Maxx
4G LTE CAT4 (Bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

So if the radios are physically same, we could add band 5 and 17 to DT, in theory. (850MHz and 700 MHz respectivelly)

PeterTheGeek

Nov 14, 2015
Here are the bands straight from Moto US and Moto Brazil sites.

Verizon Droid Turbo Bands

LTE Cat 4 (Bands 2, 3, 4, 7, 13)

CDMA/EVDO Rev A (850, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Carrier Aggregation (B4+13)

Moto Maxx

4G LTE CAT4 (Bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17)

UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

So if the radios are physically same, we could add band 5 and 17 to DT, in theory. (850MHz and 700 MHz respectivelly)

Well, band1 is also unlockable. And I believe the radio chip is the same but the physical radio component might not be exactly the same.

Sent from my XT1254

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
Xiaomi Poco F3
what is it?
can you give me more info andl links please?

as far as links, i havent looked for "Radiocomm" in a while. last version i had was dated 1997-2003 i think. used it on the Droid Bionic to unlock H+ (GSM). havent really looked that hard for a newer version. you're likely to get the same result googling as i will. wish i still had a link.

edit: as far as what it is, it is an internal Motorola tool used by engineers to test, modify, and program moto devices. the old version didnt support any chipset close to the turbo. technically, though, it didnt support the Bionic, but it worked anyway. ;)

Last edited:

toroloco73

Feb 11, 2012
as far as links, i havent looked for "Radiocomm" in a while. last version i had was dated 1997-2003 i think. used it on the Droid Bionic to unlock H+ (GSM). havent really looked that hard for a newer version. you're likely to get the same result googling as i will. wish i still had a link.

edit: as far as what it is, it is an internal Motorola tool used by engineers to test, modify, and program moto devices. the old version didnt support any chipset close to the turbo. technically, though, it didnt support the Bionic, but it worked anyway. ;)
but do you speak about this tool ? is it old?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CONFIRMED DROID TURBO WORKING IN EUROPE
    I live Norway, but am from Louisiana, bought my Droid Turbo outright from Best Buy
    I knew all the past trouble with VZW, global, CDMA and roaming.
    But with the upcoming unlocked era, the radio bands from the specs and a bit of homework, all signs pointed to this working.
    Worst case scenario would have been tethering it off my Nexus 5 anyway.
    So I ordered a nanoSIM from my company provider, Netcom.
    I popped it in and got the following:
    dtvwtOu.jpg

Ugh, C'mon SIM Card is not from Verizon ? Than sounds pretty locked to me.
    I tried a few more times rebooting in Global, CDMA, and GSM modes to be sure.
    No connection, no networks found, Voice data blocked, no service.
    RGQRewE.jpg

OK, time to call Verizon. Let's just say their organization doesn't handle call transfers well when you don't have a verizon account.
    The low level tech support told me the Droid Turbo is unlocked from the box, they couldnt lock any of their 4G phones if they wanted.
    But, when I mentioned the "SIM Card is not from Verizon" he transferred me to Motorola.
    Motorola rep insisted that message indicated a locked status, ans referred me back to Verizon.
    Next level insisted to me that its not locked and even that DT doesnt use a nanoSIM, which I eventually convinced her contrary to their latest reference material nanoSIMs aren't just iPhone anymore.
    After another 45min of bouncing around their phone systems, and explaining I just want to use a local SIM in Europe, I finally got up to top level tech Global support.
    Now this guy was actually helpful.after establishing I knew my way around android and understood GSM vs CDMA etc, we determined the message might be remnants of a lock program. Since I was blocked from even viewing any mobile networks, he had me manually enter the APN for Netcom here and restart. It was then I got to tell him about the wonderful DT bug of ART runtime and the "Android is upgrading" optimization on EVERY restart. He took note of that. He got my email and I send him screenshots of the locked/blocked notifications to send to his Motorola liaison.
    zONu3vk.jpg

Reboot, still nothing, same errors. Out of desperation, we rebooted one more time in desperation.
    Agonizing wait, then BOOM! signal! NOt sure if it was the wait, or number of reboots but it finally took, even with the non-Verizon SIM notification. Edge only in my house , but that normal, but I went for a ride around the block and got several channels of Edge, GPRS, HPSA and a sniff of HPSA+!!. I will test 4G LTE when I drive though a coverage area tomorrow. It also sees the other provider here, Telenor.
    So we have a true global phone, with hiccups. Do your homework with frequency bands, and be patient with SIMS, registration, reboots.
    Mj5EnJu.jpg

1PVuw29.jpg

jnarKuK.jpg

rKW1feK.jpg

XyrflqI.jpg

W0AWucx.jpg

BVagLhB.jpg

KyG4whD.jpg
    how did u make it conect to pc??
    can u add some info?
    i want to try it too and add band 20 to my Moto Maxx
    thank u

OK, using this guide and the numbers from the NV calculator, I enabled all the LTE bands I wanted.

Incase anyone is wondering this value will "theoretically" enable band 12 and the other ones listed below on the OPO
    LTE:Band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 21
    06828: 1906911

I confirmed this number.

qualcommnvcalculator_zps01a3cbb3.png

So, I changed the value and after reboot it kept the new value.
    enableltebands7_zps60a492d9.png

As the Moto Maxx was being tested to be the Nexus 6 as late as mid-August, it has the same capabilities of the Nexus 6 (including Qi wireless charging, which is VERY unusual on a Moto phone). Thus it can also handle LTE band 12 just like the Moto Maxx, not that it matters. It was LTE band 5 I was more worried about. When this phone with this same FCC ID number went through the FCC it had LTE band 5 enabled, but when sold in Puerto Rico (U.S. territory) with this same FCC ID number, LTE band 5 was no longer present but LTE band 3 was enabled.

Now they are all enabled. :)

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

QPST and mzTool seem to be only for enabling 2G/3G bands.

You need QXDM to edit/enable LTE bands. I wasted a lot of time on QPST and mzTool. I already have all the GSM/HSPA bands I need. I wanted more LTE bands. Once I figured out what each was good for, then I concentrated on QXDM, and the NV/LTE browser with the NV calculator app. Somone else had already calculated the number, but I double checked it. Then I "wrote" it. When I rebooted and checked the number again, the edited value was still there.

(You do need QPST installed to use QXDM, so you do need both programs.)

The hardest part was the steps to get the COM ports to show up in QPST and QXDM. Last weekend I spent a couple of hours and never could get it to connect. Today, I spend like 6 hours on it, and was successful. :)

The only issue is all I have to guage my success right now is the NV calculator numbers. I went out driving around and the only AT&T bands I could find within a 3 mile radius were bands 2 and 17, which I already had. LTE band 5 may not even be in use in the Atlanta metro area. I don't know.

Some phones have hidden service menus (accessed via dialer codes) that will display all the bands you are capable of receiving, but the Moto menu I've accessed does not seem to have that option.
    My provider Netcom has LTE bands 3,7,20
    Droid Turbo specs claim LTE bands 2,3,4,7,13
    So we have a match for 3 (2600MHz) & 7 (1800MHz)
    For some reason is hasn't connected automatically yet.
    Are you running Global mode or LTE/GSM/UMTS mode in Italy?

I have requested the VZW tech to request Moto to unlock me so I can get him network stats, logcats etc.
    Its a long shot, but worth it. Stay tuned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths
    I have just ordered Droid Turbo to use it in Germany. What would be the best step-by-step process to get it working here?
    I have ordered from a big seller at eBay btw.

Hi, Ive bought my phone now for about 5 weeks. (BestBuy / Replacement-Phone)

I'm also in Germany ;)

I've just put out the sim-card first and put in mine (T-Mobile).
    Then i've booted it.
    After that, i skiped the first setup (Verizon setup) and unlocked my sim.

A Massage appeared "not a Verizon sim" (just slide it away)

My phone got signal just after unlocking my sim.

I also got hspda+ ;)

So i used it 2 weeks and noticed i couldn't get LTE.
    I googled apn for T-Mobile and put it into my droid.

Now since that i get LTE and everything works fine.
    Also MMS are working (never usw it, just wanted to know if it works)

Set it to LTE/GSM/UMTS mode

Want to know anything, ask me ;)
    is it possible unlock band 20 LTE?
    Its possible to unlock it software wise, but the hardware doesnt support band 20, so yes, you can unlock it but no, you cant use it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone