Dual boot on LG G5-[H850]-[H830]-[04.12.2016]

Search This thread

chrilyng

May 26, 2017
Has anyone got dual boot working on external sd card?
I got it working on system and data but when I boot after flashing (lineageos) to extsd the LED is breathing blue forever (I left it running for more than one day).
Here is an interesting part from MultiBoot.log when flashing in app.
Code:
[D] Target device = lgg5
[D] Boot block device: /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot
[D] Recovery block device: /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
[D] System block device: /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system
[D] Copied /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot to the chroot
[E] /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/boot: Failed to stat: No such file or directory
[W] Failed to copy /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/boot. Continuing anyway
[D] Copied /dev/block/sde1 to the chroot
[D] Copied /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery to the chroot
[E] /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/recovery: Failed to stat: No such file or directory
[W] Failed to copy /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/recovery. Continuing anyway
[D] Copied /dev/block/sde2 to the chroot
[D] Symlinked /mb/loop.system to /chroot/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system
[D] Symlinked /mb/loop.system to /chroot/dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/system
[D] Symlinked /mb/loop.system to /chroot/dev/block/sda13

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro
Has anyone got dual boot working on external sd card?
I got it working on system and data but when I boot after flashing (lineageos) to extsd the LED is breathing blue forever (I left it running for more than one day).
Here is an interesting part from MultiBoot.log when flashing in app.
Code:
[D] Target device = lgg5
[D] Boot block device: /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot
[D] Recovery block device: /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
[D] System block device: /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system
[D] Copied /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot to the chroot
[E] /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/boot: Failed to stat: No such file or directory
[W] Failed to copy /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/boot. Continuing anyway
[D] Copied /dev/block/sde1 to the chroot
[D] Copied /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery to the chroot
[E] /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/recovery: Failed to stat: No such file or directory
[W] Failed to copy /dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/recovery. Continuing anyway
[D] Copied /dev/block/sde2 to the chroot
[D] Symlinked /mb/loop.system to /chroot/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system
[D] Symlinked /mb/loop.system to /chroot/dev/block/platform/624000.ufshc/by-name/system
[D] Symlinked /mb/loop.system to /chroot/dev/block/sda13

Nope, never got it to boot from extsd, why I always flash to data slot (internal SD). Also, I've asked on dual boot thread was to have our device config updated as the paths and codename changed when it was upgraded to Android 7, but that never happened. That's why you'll see can't stat file, there should be an '/soc/' path after platform in those file locations.

Reactions: chrilyng

Hassaan Masroor

Jul 1, 2014
Lahore
Hi. On H850, Is it possible to boot into prim/sec rom before either of them boots up?
I was wondering what happens if I get a boot loop in one rom. How am I supposed to switch to the other without the phone booting into the old system itself?
I have been using multi rom on LG G3 and that allowed to choose which rom to boot before the phone actually booted up into any system.
Thanks.

Dreigh

May 28, 2016
Hi. On H850, Is it possible to boot into prim/sec rom before either of them boots up?
I was wondering what happens if I get a boot loop in one rom. How am I supposed to switch to the other without the phone booting into the old system itself?
I have been using multi rom on LG G3 and that allowed to choose which rom to boot before the phone actually booted up into any system.
Thanks.
If you install the Boot UI from the Dual Boot Patcher application you will have a 5 second countdown with the option to "skip countdown" or "cancel" so if you get a boot loop you can click cancel and then select "reboot" and select "recovery" that way you can fix the effected ROM. OR you can select "cancel" and select the other ROM you have installed. Or you can reboot into TWRP manually and use the downloadable dual boot Patcher tool zip to select a working ROM. It's also nice if you have a secondary device with dual boot Patcher so you can create modified zips for your effected ROM.

Reactions: Hassaan Masroor

Hassaan Masroor

Jul 1, 2014
Lahore
If you install the Boot UI from the Dual Boot Patcher application you will have a 5 second countdown with the option to "skip countdown" or "cancel" so if you get a boot loop you can click cancel and then select "reboot" and select "recovery" that way you can fix the effected ROM. OR you can select "cancel" and select the other ROM you have installed. Or you can reboot into TWRP manually and use the downloadable dual boot Patcher tool zip to select a working ROM. It's also nice if you have a secondary device with dual boot Patcher so you can create modified zips for your effected ROM.

Thanks a lot for the elaborate explanation. This should be in the OP to assist anyone else having the same query.

Reactions: Dreigh

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
Muti-booting is something that would be also good to support on the LG G5 RS988 variant.

I have sent a request to do so to the project developer.

Last edited:

aanonymoushuman

Sep 8, 2012
Does this work on the H-830? I am trying to dual boot stock and LineageOS but I seem to be running in some conflicts with the build name in the build.prop preventing me from flashing the patched ROM completely. I looked through the thread and tried editing my build.prop to match the H850 but no success.

Jolt151

Apr 3, 2017
Hate to resurrect old threads, but has anyone had any luck installing Fulmics as an extsd with a Lineage-based Rom as the primary? I had to modify the generated script file to include h830 (fulmics does support it), and then installed it through twrp successfully. The problem is booting into it results in a twrp loop. I tried wiping the misc partition (the safe way), but I don't think that did anything because the primary is RR, not Fulmics. Using the DualBootUtilities to go back to RR works fine.

Am I missing something or has no one been able to get it to work?

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
Unfortunately, it looks like the developer for the project referenced in this thread (chenxiaolong) has discontinued and shutdown the project.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to @chenxiaolong DualBoot is possible on LG G5 (root and twrp needed)

Original thread for DualBoot patcher is located here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2447534
    Bugs report or questions for the developer please post in original thread.
    Questions about how to use DualBoot you can ask here.

Download patcher app from here:
    https://dbp.noobdev.io/files/9.1.0....tcherAndroid-9.1.0.r38.g5d5b401-snapshot.apk

DualBoot Patcher is still under development, expect bugs.
    I'm not responsible for bricked phones.
    You have been warned!

How to:

First make nandroid backup in TWRP!

1. Install DualBoot patcher apk, open an app and go to ROMs section

2. Set the current running kernel as kernel for Primary ROM (app will ask you to do so)

3. Download CM13 or any different AOSP ROM, Gapps and go to "Patch zip file" section.
    Use minimal Gapps if you installing on stripped /system partition.

4. Patch the CM13 ROM zip (for LG G5 choose "secondary") and patch Gapps ("secondary")
    a) Go to settings of the app and install Boot UI.
    25.11.2016 -> Note for H830 users,go with data slot instead of secondary until the secondary slot is fixed.

5. Flash patched ROM and Gapps in TWRP or ROMs section in DualBoot app, click red button to do it.

6. Go to ROMs in the app and tap on the rom you want to boot

7. Reboot
    You second system should start. (if you get a black screen,wait a bit,first boot usually takes a while)

How to switch between ROMs:
    1. Both ROMs needs DualBoot patcher installed, in "ROMs" section you should see ROMs list.
    2. To switch the ROM simply tap Primary or Secondary, tick indicator should appear on ROM.
    3. Reboot

To check partition sizes and free space, go to "Free space" section.
    App sharing probably still don't work, I didn't try it but most likely after you try it you will need to restore your nandroid.

Location explanation :

Primary: This is normally used for installing a zip to the primary ROM. It is not required, but is strongly recommended because it has code to prevent the zip from inadvertently affecting other ROMs.

Dual: Dual/Secondary is the first multiboot installation location. It installs to the system partition. This is a good spot for installing a second ROM because it doesn't take any space away from the internal storage.

Multi-slots: There are 3 multislots: multi-slot-1, multi-slot-2, multi-slot-3. These install to the cache partition. This is specifically for devices that have a massive cache partition.

Data-slots: There can be an unlimited number of data slots. These install to the data partition and eat up space on the internal storage. This is useful for devices where the system partition is nearly full and the cache partition is tiny. These slots are named "data-slot-[id]", where "id" is something you provide in the app.

Extsd-slots: There can be an unlimited number of extsd slots. These install to the external SD card, which is useful as it keeps the ROMs off of the internal storage. Note that the ROM's data files are still stored on the data partition.

Lockscreen security solution:

On all ROMs you must set lockscreen to have the same lock e.g. a pattern lock with the same pattern on each ROM to unlock.
    The issue has something to do with the secondary ROM overwriting the gatekeeper.pattern.key file, so then when you switch to primary you have a pattern lock but with no correct pattern even set, hence why the pattern you enter is always incorrect.

Steps:
    1. Set lockscreen security (what ever you decide to use, fingerprints,pin,password, pattern) in the secondary rom first.
    2. Set the exact same lockscreen security in the primary rom
    3. That's it,now it works on both roms

Tested on LG G5 H850, I'm running stock lg rom as Primary and CM13 as Secondary.
    Tested stock roms with aroma installer,doesn't work as secondary,only as primary.
    Tested on LG G5 H830, everything works now.

Stock can't be dual booted as secondary due to size,so go with other slots like,for example, data slot

If in app flashing doesn't work,use twrp to flash the patched ROM and the patched gapps

Since the 25.10.2016 the SD card bug on second rom is fixed,link above updated.

Since 25.11.2016 LG G5 H830 is supported, thanks to jeffsga88 for helping with that.

Updated: 04.12.2016
    Okay, so after some more testing this is what I found. If you want to flash as secondary instead of to a data slot, it is possible. Just follow these instructions after installing boot ui and setting primary kernel as I mentioned in other post.

To flash a ROM as secondary:
    1) Patch the ROM and Gapps files in the app for secondary.
    2) Reboot into twrp
    3) Find and flash both your rom and Gapps patched zip files (make sure they say secondary at end of zip filename).
    Flashing in twrp will auto install to whatever you selected when you patched the files in app
    4) Reboot and enjoy.

Also found that after updating the ramdisk in app I can't flash in app anymore from primary rom but can from other Roms... So, anyone having problems flashing from in app please use the above method to flash in twrp, it will work no issues (you can also use above method for flashing data slot roms,etc). In app flashing is still in development and does not always work, so use twrp if you have problems flashing.

*** Edit ***
    After doing even more testing, stock can NOT be installed as secondary (dual slot) it MUST be installed add a data slot or ext SD data slot. It is too big of a ROM to be installed as secondary (dual) as this option installs into the system partition which has very limited space. So you can still have cm or cm based ROM as primary and stock as secondary just patch and install stock in data slot or ext SD slot.
    Still nothing, sorry mate,I'm checking github daily but nothing yet. Development slowed down a bit now. Latest mobile build is from November 7th.

I just got a test build from the dev to test out and it works no problems. So dualboot is working for t mobile version now just waiting to see if I can post link from the dev to the test build or if he wants me to wait for him to release an official build with support added. Either way, good news is dual booting for h830 is here :). I'll update this post when I hear from dev.
    Since the 25.10.2016 the SD card bug that showed up in the secondary rom,is finally fixed,link in the first post is updated.
    I downloaded the updated app from the original thread and I saw that now it supports the lg g5. I did not yet try to use it with my h830. If you try it, please let us know if it works on our phones. Thanks.
    You are right, the link on the original thread has been updated to a version 9,the LG G5 H850 has been added to official dual patcher app. I've updated the link in the first post.