Dual boot project - Lubuntu on MicroSD came true

Search This thread

Ruben Craveiro

Feb 18, 2015
Lisboa
I'm pretty mad at zArchiver for cutting of the top of every file extracted from iso.. Try using tar in terminal on tablet and see what it does. If you have an Y otg cable you can also do install it from a usb stick, abd then try if your rootfs unpacks well and eventually upload it. This tutorial was meant to be useful for people withrout y otg, too, but if you have one it's not that hard to install it yourself.

Press f2 while booting, choose flash drive , select install, custom mode, just select sdcard as rootfs (no data partition doesn't work) and install. Then grep dmesg for a missing txt file for wifi and use /system/etc/nvram.txt in it's place. Be aware it might rewrite your grub.cfg

about the file to extract, i tried doing it on terminal emulator, same error
ill leave attachment of the error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-16-20-41-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-16-20-41-30.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 109

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
about the file to extract, i tried doing it on terminal emulator, same error
ill leave attachment of the error.

That seems like it's corrupted :/
Unfortunately I don't have a local copy, I used tmpfs to speed it up :/
Will you try the flash disk method, or should I try to make another copy?

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
So, does that mean that we will be able to install secondary OS to the MMC instead of micro SD?

Basicaly, yes :)

I have found out, there is a kernel cmdline argument to overwrite it, but it doesn't work :/
It's supposed to be mmcblk.perdev_minors=17 - but it does nothing :/
Does anyone know why it refuses to work?
I don't want to recompile whole kernel just to turn signature verification off or use my own signing key :/
Of course as a last chance I might have to :/

Please share your suggestions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bryandroid98

bryandroid98

Mar 30, 2016
I don't understand the steps, I'm confused.

you put in the Terminal /sdcard but should be /Removable/MicroSD or not???

and the filesystem I'm using on my microsd card is NTFS.

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
I don't understand the steps, I'm confused.

you put in the Terminal /sdcard but should be /Removable/MicroSD or not???

and the filesystem I'm using on my microsd card is NTFS.

The /sdcard is whre I mounted ESP. You can mount it anywhere but I had to choose something so I could write the steps.

Edit: I'll add the ext4 filesystem, it seems it's better.

Last edited:

sizzlinbeef

Nov 8, 2015
This is my experience so far:
1. I couldn't get the tutorial to work using the rootfs archives provided (Either one).
1a. On initial boot, the system would reboot back to android (indicating a failed boot on the newly created UEFI entry, and defaulting back to the first UEFI entry.)
1b. Checking back with efibootmgr64 after this happened, there is a newly created (third) entry, on HDxx, also labeled ubuntu.
1c. Booting manually into this entry, I now get the grub prompt, Lubuntu tries to boot, but black screens, so I add nomodeset to the kernel parameters, try again, and the ensuing kernel messages I think are indicating it is looking for the uuid of your microsd card, not mine, and leaves me in emergency mode.

2. Your tutorial steps allowed me to do a clean install of Lubuntu to my microSD card using a hub, making the microsd the root filesystem, adding the bootloader to a random, dummy usb flash drive, and configuring efibootmgr64 for Lubuntu as before.
2a. Once again, a third UEFI entry is created after a failed bot to the UEFI entry created in the tutorial, labeled 'ubuntu' and I must boot from that entry to start Lubuntu.
2b. Now I can boot to Lubuntu on the microSD without a hub, and I just need to get wifi working using the nvram text file.

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
This is my experience so far:
1. I couldn't get the tutorial to work using the rootfs archives provided (Either one).
1a. On initial boot, the system would reboot back to android (indicating a failed boot on the newly created UEFI entry, and defaulting back to the first UEFI entry.)
1b. Checking back with efibootmgr64 after this happened, there is a newly created (third) entry, on HDxx, also labeled ubuntu.
1c. Booting manually into this entry, I now get the grub prompt, Lubuntu tries to boot, but black screens, so I add nomodeset to the kernel parameters, try again, and the ensuing kernel messages I think are indicating it is looking for the uuid of your microsd card, not mine, and leaves me in emergency mode.

2. Your tutorial steps allowed me to do a clean install of Lubuntu to my microSD card using a hub, making the microsd the root filesystem, adding the bootloader to a random, dummy usb flash drive, and configuring efibootmgr64 for Lubuntu as before.
2a. Once again, a third UEFI entry is created after a failed bot to the UEFI entry created in the tutorial, labeled 'ubuntu' and I must boot from that entry to start Lubuntu.
2b. Now I can boot to Lubuntu on the microSD without a hub, and I just need to get wifi working using the nvram text file.

That's weird.
1a. The grub boot entry already worked for someone else, so please make sure you did everything right, then you can send me a dd of your ESP partition.
1b. That is weird, can you send what efibootmgr64 -v says?
1c. It should not be looking for any uuid. Unless usb device is connected, my grub menuentry should always behave the same.
The black screens seem to happen randomly to me (without nomodeset)
The initramfs looks for mmcblk1p1, which is first partition on microsd.
Similar thing happened when I accidentaly ran it without microsd inserted, but I suppose that's not the case.
Can you see what is different between your clean instalation and my rootfs? That might indicate where the problem is.
Also a photo of that error messages would be helpful.

sizzlinbeef

Nov 8, 2015
Yeah, there must be some differences between our tablets that is causing the steps to not work. I am at .17, rooted, no twrp or refind installed. Shortly after I typed that post I did a shutdown from Lubuntu, and afterwards my ESP partition must have gotten corrupted or overwritten because I could only boot to the UEFI aptio setup utility, and had to dd a stock ESP image back onto the internal mmc. Will try to get screenshots from every step of my process when I try again.

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
Yeah, there must be some differences between our tablets that is causing the steps to not work. I am at .17, rooted, no twrp or refind installed. Shortly after I typed that post I did a shutdown from Lubuntu, and afterwards my ESP partition must have gotten corrupted or overwritten because I could only boot to the UEFI aptio setup utility, and had to dd a stock ESP image back onto the internal mmc. Will try to get screenshots from every step of my process when I try again.

Yes that did not happen to me. After shutdown from anything else than android or twrp (even android boot animation) I have to press power nutton again and it blinks, or stays on and I have to disconnect bartery for some time. Someone other also reported this behaviour. But I never had problems with ESP partition, nor boot options appearing after reboot. Definitely try efibootmgr64 -v , that might show the unknown difference netween working and not working boot option. Of course glad you could install it anyway :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    xD glad i had one, fixed, ill remake the steps, but they are a bit confusing on step2, and thanks

You can actually make the esp folder on /data/ESP , too. I will edit it :)
    BIG news!!
    It seems that if we rebuild the mmc module we can get all 16 partitions recognised!
    BIG news!!
    It seems that if we rebuild the mmc module we can get all 16 partitions recognised!

So, does that mean that we will be able to install secondary OS to the MMC instead of micro SD?

Basicaly, yes :)

I have found out, there is a kernel cmdline argument to overwrite it, but it doesn't work :/
    It's supposed to be mmcblk.perdev_minors=17 - but it does nothing :/
    Does anyone know why it refuses to work?
    I don't want to recompile whole kernel just to turn signature verification off or use my own signing key :/
    Of course as a last chance I might have to :/

Please share your suggestions :)

UPDATE: We ARE able to install to internal memory, right now.
    Just use mmc_block.perdev_minors=20 as kernel parameter, and whole internval memory is available. :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone