• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Dual sim Discussion

Search This thread

tenfar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
Nice find. Do you have a screenshot of it? Don't have my Nexus 6P yet (its on order). After that I'll see what I can do.
I've found some dialer codes as well to launch Sprint's tool:
*#*#72786#*#*
*#*#786#*#*
*#*#66236#*#*
*#*#66264#*#*
*#*#873283#*#*
*#*#775#*#*

Also, this may work:

am start -n com.android.sdm.plugins.sprintdm/.SprintRadioInfoActivity
am start -n com.android.sdm.plugins.sprintdm/.SprintUpdateDeviceConfigActivity

The code appears to be able control/read very low level baseband functionality in regards to LTE bands/CA config/life timer/etc.
For example:
- "public static int setLTECACapability (int, int, bool);" - Maybe the CA bands can be changed for better support of certain regions.
- setCdmaBandClass14 - Nexus 6P doesn't list CDMA band class 14

some screen shots.
Screenshot_20151203-140239.png

Screenshot_20151203-140542.png

Screenshot_20151203-140552.png

Screenshot_20151203-140605.png

Screenshot_20151203-140637.png

Screenshot_20151203-140722.png

i think the SprintDM is only for Sprint Users. i am in China Mobile's Network.

Last edited:
Reactions: zivan56

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
The "LTE Engineering" should display generic LTE info, however. So at least that should be a field test mode equivalent to the Nexus 6?

Also, I think you can open those activities you mentioned by dialing:
*#*#33284#*#*
or
*#*#3282#*#*

Instead of having to run the command.

I do not see any references to dual SIM, I will keep looking within the applications.

tenfar

Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
The "LTE Engineering" should display generic LTE info, however. So at least that should be a field test mode equivalent to the Nexus 6?

Also, I think you can open those activities you mentioned by dialing:
*#*#33284#*#*
or
*#*#3282#*#*

Instead of having to run the command.
maybe whom use sprint sim or gsm sim card can open that. i've tried but by dialing thoes code it can not open the activity.

tenfar

Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
Factory Board Software

i just got my hands on an ancient firmware.
it's a fastboot image and it's android 5.1.
i did'nt flash it to my device yet.
but i've poke around the system.img and find out it's almost compile from qualcomm sources/caf sources. which full of qualcomm testting apps.
very different from aosp sources.

here is the build.prop
View attachment build.prop.txt

i thinks it's dual sim enabled.but it's too dangeroues to flash it to my device...:(

Reactions: SpiritBreak3r

photonicgeek

Oct 7, 2013
i just got my hands on an ancient firmware.
it's a fastboot image and it's android 5.1.
i did'nt flash it to my device yet.
but i've poke around the system.img and find out it's almost compile from qualcomm sources/caf sources. which full of qualcomm testting apps.
very different from aosp sources.

here is the build.prop
View attachment 3572495

i thinks it's dual sim enabled.but it's too dangeroues to flash it to my device...:(
Any chance you may be able to share what you do have?

tenfar

Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
carrier_policy for dual sim

here is the dual sim carrier file for nexus6p extract from an ancient radio.img

if we can connect to diag mode we can write it to efs partition .

this zip file include some carrier_policy.xml rat_order.xml segment_loading.xml in efs. i don't know which wile work.

View attachment nexus6p_dualsim_efs_xml.zip

akaHardison

Aug 9, 2012
here is the dual sim carrier file for nexus6p extract from an ancient radio.img

if we can connect to diag mode we can write it to efs partition .

this zip file include some carrier_policy.xml rat_order.xml segment_loading.xml in efs. i don't know which wile work.

View attachment 3575966

But the QPST still not working on this phone.It may because we don't have a suitable driver.
So now EFS seems still untouchable.If you could get the driver or a workaround,it will be very helpful.
huawei did some tricks on this phone,a "diag lock"in this phone.Need someone who has background can get that unlock code(Huawei W1 has this lock and unlock code can be found in taobao or alibaba).

I am a Chinese,too.:)

tenfar

Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
But the QPST still not working on this phone.It may because we don't have a suitable driver.
So now EFS seems still untouchable.If you could get the driver or a workaround,it will be very helpful.
huawei did some tricks on this phone,a "diag lock"in this phone.Need someone who has background can get that unlock code(Huawei W1 has this lock and unlock code can be found in taobao or alibaba).

I am a Chinese,too.:)
i flashed the radio which is came from the factory rom. and the version is 02.50L .

radio.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that I'm back home, I figured I'd give a more detailed explanation of what was tried by him in initial testing.

1. Stock (not upgraded firmware) out of the box Nexus 6p 32gb Gold. US version.
    2. Two nano sims, Verizon and unknown second sim.
    3. dual sim adapter assembly, to act as an extender for pin testing.

Initial test: Sim in slot 0 (default configuration) - network reachable.
    Test 2: Sim in slot 1 only - network reachable (I cannot replicate, however he could replicate this).
    Test 3: Sim in slot 0 and slot 1 - only slot 0 network reachable.
    Test 4: Sim in slot 0, sim extender in slot 1 with secondary sim attached to extender - network reachable (dual sim)

More research and testing is being conducted to determine whether his theories are correct (XOR function).
    Hopefully some google techs come by this post. As you guys have noticed the dual sim phone trend is growing. The convenience of not having to carry 2 phones is very helpful. For the ones who have to carry personal and business phones this thread is for us.

I was really hoping they released this with dual Sims. Currently I have a Oneplus One as a main line and I need to get a second phone asap. I'm hoping there could be some sort of mod we can do to change the Huawei to dual sim. Huawei has a lot of dual sim phones so I'm assuming the hardware comes already pre-wired for it.

I'm hoping to find a way not to have to carry my Oneplus One and a Nexus 6P. Both phones are pretty hefty to carry especially in a suit. I understand the phone is not released yet but let's get the ball rolling.

Update Nov 18 2015

FAQ

Is it even hardware capable?
    Yes, it is actually. Have a look here at the teardown by ifixit.
    ArdFQZTShocJyGnK.medium

What about the sim tray?
    It is able to hold 2 nano sims by default. The only issue is there is a bar blocking the second sim slot. You are able to bypass this by using a dremel tool and cutting it off. If you're not that handy there are some users here making 3d printed trays. This will be updated once someone is willing to supply the rest with working trays.

What about the IMEI for the second slot?
    It can be set to 0 and used as such. It has been done in various other devices.

Isn't setting the IMEI to 0 illegal?
    Check your countries laws. USA = NO

Sim Tray Variants

BLACK Plastic
    attachment.php

attachment.php

SILVER Metal
    iTCth0P.jpg

MR5zYXz.jpg

You can use a dremel on the metal one and pop the sim card in. It has the slot ready only thing it's blocked off by a thin metal bar.
    attachment.php
    A small update:

Lab is built and ready (image attached). Pretty much everything needed in order to make the project a success (to include IDA Pro). Parts on order are scheduled to arrive next Wednesday. SIM > USB Breakout cable, and JTAG control board along with some software was ordered and is all that is required.

He did say that if it becomes a hardware solution (which I'm obviously hoping against), I'll need to send some funds to purchase a piece of hardware he'll need in order to modify the phone. Fingers crossed that we collectively get a software solution. :good:
    Update: not much new. He built a kernel with a memory-reading module using Qcomm documentation and developer hardware, and also retrieved some more documentation directly from Qcomm. I'm thinking this has potential to grow legs beyond just the 6p, to other dual sim capable devices in which the secondary sim slot was disabled. Qcomm has been supportive of his requests thus far and we expect the qf prom register information soon.
    Alrighty, I posted the design file .stl on github.com

If you search "Nexus 6P dualsim" it should be the only result. I'm releasing it under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-AS 4.0

Please consider supporting the hours put in for the design work with my patreon page or by being the first hooking me up with a working print. Donation recommendation per asset download, patreon link and license details are on the github as well.

Feedback on 3D print results are encouraged and further design iterations, versions (for printer type and materials), adjustments should be easy to do or collaborate on now too.