Question Dual Sim North American For OP Pro 9

Search This thread

ctonylee1965

Aug 26, 2017
The specs page says Pro 9 has dual Sim but all the press reviews say that the US Version will have only single sim. Does anyone know? If 9 Pro unlocked NA version is 1 sim I'm pretty bummed and pissed off, especially since my order tech sheet says dual sim.

nightpanda2810

May 29, 2014
I was just looking at the spec page on their website, and it says "Single nano-SIM slot". Fire up my VPN and go to the UK page, dual sim. Also, black version not available on US store.

Reddit3321

Jan 19, 2017
I can report, I just got my US variant (AA) and the dual sim tray slot on the backside like normal had a plastic bar preventing the use of dual SIM...I wonder if it's also disabled in software as well if one were to get a dual sim card tray...

Reactions: pavankp
I just tried my dual SIM tray from my OnePlus 8 Pro and it will only recognize a SIM in the front slot. I assume the functionality is disabled in the rom.

BTW, the 8 Pro SIM tray doesn't quite go in all the way, it has a thicker red gasket for sealing than the 9 Pro does. It still works, just not flush with the body of the phone.

pavankp

Aug 16, 2007
I just tried my dual SIM tray from my OnePlus 8 Pro and it will only recognize a SIM in the front slot. I assume the functionality is disabled in the rom.

BTW, the 8 Pro SIM tray doesn't quite go in all the way, it has a thicker red gasket for sealing than the 9 Pro does. It still works, just not flush with the body of the phone.
I tried this as well, same result. It is hard to remove the 8 Pro SIM tray from the 9 Pro if you push it in.

Is the international ROM available to flash? I want to see if flashing that will make it recognize the second SIM with the 8 Pro's SIM tray.

Reactions: carbondog
I am very interested in this as well. I pre-ordered this phone because it said it was Dual-SIM for the USA. The following day, they edited it back to single-SIM.

If this can be worked around via getting a dual-SIM tray and flashing the global ROM, maybe I won't have to return it after all.

ctonylee1965

Aug 26, 2017
I can't believe we even have to have this discussion with a $1000 phone from a brand that has always had dual sim functionality. Argggggg...... It's going to make my head explode!

I can't believe we even have to have this discussion with a $1000 phone from a brand that has always had dual sim functionality. Argggggg...... It's going to make my head explode!

Right? The whole reason I splashed out for a carrier-free "premium" phone was to not be held down by any idiotic restrictions- but lo and behold OnePlus bent over backwards for T-Mobile. The worst part is that it's literally the same hardware, we just got a single-slot SIM tray and software to lock us out of the second slot.

It boils my blood that you can see the second set of SIM contacts in there and can't use them without jumping through hoops.

Mine's sitting in the damn box still, because I'm not using it until I know I can utilize both SIMs I have on it.

Right? The whole reason I splashed out for a carrier-free "premium" phone was to not be held down by any idiotic restrictions- but lo and behold OnePlus bent over backwards for T-Mobile Verizon. The worst part is that it's literally the same hardware, we just got a single-slot SIM tray and software to lock us out of the second slot.
I suspect it's Verizon's fault to forcing it as Single SIM on the software side. Verizon gimped previous Android models in a similar way previously. Pixel 3 eSIM was disabled on Verizon-sold models, and they forced OnePlus to make separate variants of the OnePlus 8 for both Verizon and Visible.

They knew OnePlus would want it certified for 5G mmWave, and that was probably Verizon's 'terms' for getting it cleared.

Last edited:
I suspect it's Verizon's fault to forcing it as Single SIM on the software side. Verizon gimped previous Android models in a similar way previously. Pixel 3 eSIM was disabled on Verizon-sold models, and they forced OnePlus to make separate variants of the OnePlus 8 for both Verizon and Visible.

They knew OnePlus would want it certified for 5G mmWave, and that was probably Verizon's 'terms' for getting it cleared.

This is actually a very good point that I hadn't considered. I hate how anti-choice the US wireless market is.

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
I am very interested in this as well. I pre-ordered this phone because it said it was Dual-SIM for the USA. The following day, they edited it back to single-SIM.

If this can be worked around via getting a dual-SIM tray and flashing the global ROM, maybe I won't have to return it after all.
the second sim does not even fit in the the sim slot, it kinda looks like a microSD can but I don't have one to try.

Yeah I was kinda upset about this too, b/c I used my OP7Pro for personal and work phone with 2 sims.

pavankp

Aug 16, 2007
the second sim does not even fit in the the sim slot, it kinda looks like a microSD can but I don't have one to try.

Yeah I was kinda upset about this too, b/c I used my OP7Pro for personal and work phone with 2 sims.
The tray has been deliberately rendered useless on the second side. I tried it with the tray from the 8 Pro which fits two SIMs properly, but the software won't recognize the second SIM.

pavankp

Aug 16, 2007
Right? The whole reason I splashed out for a carrier-free "premium" phone was to not be held down by any idiotic restrictions- but lo and behold OnePlus bent over backwards for T-Mobile. The worst part is that it's literally the same hardware, we just got a single-slot SIM tray and software to lock us out of the second slot.

It boils my blood that you can see the second set of SIM contacts in there and can't use them without jumping through hoops.

Mine's sitting in the damn box still, because I'm not using it until I know I can utilize both SIMs I have on it.
So frustrating. US telcos need more consumer-friendly regulation so they can't engage in anti-competitive behavior like this.

I put mine back in the box. Offering it to my wife to use, and if she doesn't, this is going back for a refund. Ordered the exact same phone from Amazon Italy, that should have dual SIM. ETA Apr 1-2.

Reactions: carbondog
So frustrating. US telcos need more consumer-friendly regulation so they can't engage in anti-competitive behavior like this.

I put mine back in the box. Offering it to my wife to use, and if she doesn't, this is going back for a refund. Ordered the exact same phone from Amazon Italy, that should have dual SIM. ETA Apr 1-2.

That's not a bad idea, I think I'll do the same since I know my wife doesn't need dual-SIM. She probably won't want it though, haha. Let us know how that works out, if it's smooth sailing then I might just do that as well. I wish I knew this before ordering from OP directly, I'd have just gone to Amazon first.

samteeee

• That's not a bad idea, I think I'll do the same since I know my wife doesn't need dual-SIM. She probably won't want it though, haha. Let us know how that works out, if it's smooth sailing then I might just do that as well. I wish I knew this before ordering from OP directly, I'd have just gone to Amazon first.
    Just a heads up bro.
    If you live in North America like me ordering the OnePlus 9 series from Amazon Italy makes no sense as their variant is UK version which misses many LTE & 5G bands that we need in USA & Canada! I almost put the order through before noticed that is a UK variant.

floridaman

Oct 11, 2015
    www.floridasunshineshuttle.com
    Just a heads up bro.
    If you live in North America like me ordering the OnePlus 9 series from Amazon Italy makes no sense as their variant is UK version which misses many LTE & 5G bands that we need in USA & Canada! I almost put the order through before noticed that is a UK variant.
    The bands are almost always different. I think they do it on purpose so people in North America are stunted if they do a gray market purchase.

Why does the North American models have 5G band 78 for the EU but they don't have 71 or n260, etc.. They do it on purpose to screw us over.

Just a heads up bro.

Damn, man- this got me thinking, so I threw together a quick comparison graphic of the bands, which are missing in their respective models. Top is from the US OP page, bottom is from Spain's.

I was planning on using mine with Verizon, looks like that might not be a good idea.

Looks like the NA version should work in EU with minimal problem, but the EU version is missing many NA bands. 100% due to carrier pressure, disgusting.

If anyone can manage to successfully enable the second SIM slot of a NA variant, that looks like the way to go.

Attachments

• band comparison.png
      band comparison.png
      101.3 KB · Views: 153
    Last edited:

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
    I search around and found that iphone US version are also single sim and they are able to make it to dual sim only if they open the phone and replace the actualy sim inserted piece on the motherboard. I watched the tear apart video of oneplus 9 pro which the sim card piece on the motherboard is also detachable without remove the whole motherboard. I think the would work. Simply use a dual sim tray would not work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Right? The whole reason I splashed out for a carrier-free "premium" phone was to not be held down by any idiotic restrictions- but lo and behold OnePlus bent over backwards for T-Mobile Verizon. The worst part is that it's literally the same hardware, we just got a single-slot SIM tray and software to lock us out of the second slot.

This is actually a very good point that I hadn't considered. I hate how anti-choice the US wireless market is.

I can report, I just got my US variant (AA) and the dual sim tray slot on the backside like normal had a plastic bar preventing the use of dual SIM...I wonder if it's also disabled in software as well if one were to get a dual sim card tray...