Question Dual Sim North American For OP Pro 9

Search This thread

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I search around and found that iphone US version are also single sim and they are able to make it to dual sim only if they open the phone and replace the actualy sim inserted piece on the motherboard. I watched the tear apart video of oneplus 9 pro which the sim card piece on the motherboard is also detachable without remove the whole motherboard. I think the would work. Simply use a dual sim tray would not work.
Can you link the video? I haven't seen a US 9 pro teardown vid yet. There's been multiple accounts of people with the device saying the 2nd set of SIM pins are in the slot, just not enabled in software.

Mauk80

• Jan 10, 2011
    Can you link the video? I haven't seen a US 9 pro teardown vid yet. There's been multiple accounts of people with the device saying the 2nd set of SIM pins are in the slot, just not enabled in software.
    I second that, a lot of mention that the second sim pins are there. Also I've scoured looking for a teardown video and only found this.

but it's of the Asian Oneplus 9 Pro I'm assuming.

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
    I second that, a lot of mention that the second sim pins are there. Also I've scoured looking for a teardown video and only found this.

but it's of the Asian Oneplus 9 Pro I'm assuming.
    Yes that was what I saw as well. I am guessing it could be 1. the compartments are exactly the same for US version 2. the sim component in at the bottom of the phone are different and if we exchange to the asian version it might be able to make it to dual sim. Just like iphone X-12 in US model. They just change to sim component inside the phone to dual sim version and everything works perfectly.

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
    Of course I hope it is a software issue which we can just unblock it in the future by some IT smart guy. But if it is the hardware thing. I guess we just have to replace the component.

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
    They're 100% in there, I have the phone and have seen it for myself. It's the first thing I looked for after unboxing it, lol.
    really, there is physically a 2 sim slot and just the software blocked it then? If that so. I am sure giving sometime. somebody with coding and IT skills will be able to overwrite that restriction.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
    OnePlus 8T
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    I don't have the device yet but if it's like the TMobile restrictions in the past, you should be able to enable the 2nd SIM slot but it'll have the same IMEI as the first. Doesn't affect me on the T-Mobile side but YMMV depending on carrier.

fifasax

Mar 28, 2021
    I don't have the device yet but if it's like the TMobile restrictions in the past, you should be able to enable the 2nd SIM slot but it'll have the same IMEI as the first. Doesn't affect me on the T-Mobile side but YMMV depending on carrier.
    I hope so. I mean I can compensate by using my backup dual sim phone when I traveled for now. But this time the US page said op 9 series will be single sim. And it comes with one sim tray. So it is even harder for them to agree to unblock the second tray

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
    OnePlus 8T
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    I returned mine. Does anyone know of any North American phones with SD888 that are dual SIM? Holding onto my 8 Pro until I can find something. But like someone else pointed out, all the phones I've found so far with dual SIM are missing important bands for here in the US.
    There isn't one released yet. The ROG Phone 5 should be dual SIM and ASUS intends to release it in NA. Zenfone 8 is a maybe, if they want to expand on their success on the 7.

Reactions: bjevers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Right? The whole reason I splashed out for a carrier-free "premium" phone was to not be held down by any idiotic restrictions- but lo and behold OnePlus bent over backwards for T-Mobile Verizon. The worst part is that it's literally the same hardware, we just got a single-slot SIM tray and software to lock us out of the second slot.
      I suspect it's Verizon's fault to forcing it as Single SIM on the software side. Verizon gimped previous Android models in a similar way previously. Pixel 3 eSIM was disabled on Verizon-sold models, and they forced OnePlus to make separate variants of the OnePlus 8 for both Verizon and Visible.

They knew OnePlus would want it certified for 5G mmWave, and that was probably Verizon's 'terms' for getting it cleared.
      I suspect it's Verizon's fault to forcing it as Single SIM on the software side. Verizon gimped previous Android models in a similar way previously. Pixel 3 eSIM was disabled on Verizon-sold models, and they forced OnePlus to make separate variants of the OnePlus 8 for both Verizon and Visible.

They knew OnePlus would want it certified for 5G mmWave, and that was probably Verizon's 'terms' for getting it cleared.

This is actually a very good point that I hadn't considered. I hate how anti-choice the US wireless market is.
      I just tried my dual SIM tray from my OnePlus 8 Pro and it will only recognize a SIM in the front slot. I assume the functionality is disabled in the rom.

BTW, the 8 Pro SIM tray doesn't quite go in all the way, it has a thicker red gasket for sealing than the 9 Pro does. It still works, just not flush with the body of the phone.
      I can't believe we even have to have this discussion with a $1000 phone from a brand that has always had dual sim functionality. Argggggg...... It's going to make my head explode!

Right? The whole reason I splashed out for a carrier-free "premium" phone was to not be held down by any idiotic restrictions- but lo and behold OnePlus bent over backwards for T-Mobile. The worst part is that it's literally the same hardware, we just got a single-slot SIM tray and software to lock us out of the second slot.

It boils my blood that you can see the second set of SIM contacts in there and can't use them without jumping through hoops.

Mine's sitting in the damn box still, because I'm not using it until I know I can utilize both SIMs I have on it.
      I can report, I just got my US variant (AA) and the dual sim tray slot on the backside like normal had a plastic bar preventing the use of dual SIM...I wonder if it's also disabled in software as well if one were to get a dual sim card tray...