• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Dual-SIM Simultaneous 4G/3G Capable Phones...

Search This thread

SillYBee2020

Sep 6, 2016
I just recieved a reply direct from One Plus indicating that the ONe Plus 3 will NOT do 4g on SIM1 and 3g on SIM2 at the same time. They indicated clearly that when Sim 1 is on 4G you can only be on 2G on SIM 2. I have yet to find a single phone that I'm confident will do so. Expansys indicates they;ve tested the LG G5 and it showed (included a screen shot) one on VoLTE and the otehr on 3g however earlier in this thread someone indicated they've tested the same model and it will not do so.

Codename_Falcon

Oct 10, 2009
Just got confirmation that the Sony Xperia X Performance Dual (F8132) supports one SIM on LTE with the other SIM on 3G. It does not support dual LTE. See attached screenshot.

Attachments

• attachment.png
    attachment.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,395

reb00tz

May 30, 2011
I just recieved a reply direct from One Plus indicating that the ONe Plus 3 will NOT do 4g on SIM1 and 3g on SIM2 at the same time. They indicated clearly that when Sim 1 is on 4G you can only be on 2G on SIM 2. I have yet to find a single phone that I'm confident will do so. Expansys indicates they;ve tested the LG G5 and it showed (included a screen shot) one on VoLTE and the otehr on 3g however earlier in this thread someone indicated they've tested the same model and it will not do so.

Hi @SillYBee2020, thanks for the input. I have yet to test a One Plus 3 myself. Meanwhile, different numerous sources have stated that the LG G5 fails to do the same, and my empirical test at a local telco also failed, therefore I would recommend you steer clear of the LG G5 if simultaneous 4G+3G support is what you require.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Sep 30, 2016
S7e/ op3/ mi5

Can you please clarify whether S7E with Exynos, OP3, Mi5 32gb etc are 4g with 3g simultaneously

Yes, as of current, my research shows exactly that. For the record, I have personally tested the S7/Edge, Z5 Premium Dual and G5, and now own two Mi 5 Pros... The Mi 5 Pros work beautifully, except for:
  • irritating CN bloatware (and Mi App Store stubbornly sticking to showing CN instead of EN despite language settings)
  • Xiaomi's framework overriding and interfering with standard Google framework (in the name of their "optimisation", which I have turned off with little detrimental effect overall)
  • stupid, self-serving "official" forum (en.miui.com; but that is a rant for another thread in another sub-forum) ;)

I will leave my "user's review" for a separate post in a separate thread in the correct sub-forum another time...

desp

Jan 3, 2008
LeEco Le Max 2 X820 can operate on 3G network simultaneously on both sim cards. One sim on 4G/3G/2G, another 3G/2G.
Please post if somebody knows about LeEco Le Pro 3.

esseff

Jan 21, 2007
Just to confirm, in case it hasn't been done -
Xiaomi Mi Max def does simultaneous 3g or better.
I'm in Australia with the same problem as others re the closure of the 2g network.
I just got my new Xiaomi Mi Max and it is great! It is the global version so has no Chinese stuff (except the Xiaomi cloud services) and has all the google services, neither of which I use.
Oh, as there is no Australia location option, i just set it to Singapore. All works fine.

Last edited:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I can confirm the dual sim version of the V20 (H990N) supports dual 3G or 4G+3G simultaneous.

Attachments

• 20161022_164917_HDR.jpg
    20161022_164917_HDR.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 982
  • 20161022_164937_HDR.jpg
    20161022_164937_HDR.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 966
Last edited:

320x200

Sep 19, 2012
This is a very useful information provided by OP given that I am from Singapore as well and affected by the phasing out of 2G network coverage.
Though I would think that screenshots should be added into the onenote as well as part of verifying that the device indeed support simultaneous 4G/3G. It is to my knowledge that Xiaomi devices advertised to support netcom 3.0 is able to support simultaneous 4G/3G.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
This is a very useful information provided by OP given that I am from Singapore as well and affected by the phasing out of 2G network coverage.
Though I would think that screenshots should be added into the onenote as well as part of verifying that the device indeed support simultaneous 4G/3G. It is to my knowledge that Xiaomi devices advertised to support netcom 3.0 is able to support simultaneous 4G/3G.

The Mi 5 was the first phone to support this feature.

Jay orig

Oct 30, 2016
Hi,
I've been following this thread and really wanted to thank everyone for their contribution.

Wanted a confirmation about any LeEco phones, as no screen shots have been posted yet.
Thanks

roosta

Oct 26, 2010
Melbourne
Hi guys.

So you'll need either dual standby phone with one of the newer CPU's out there, like the Snapdragon 625 , 820, 821 (just to name a few) where the feature is enabled. EG: You receive an inbound call on SIM 2, which comes in on a 3G band. If this happens when you are accessing 4G data, such as roaming the internet on SIM 1, then it should either temporarily cut out for the call to be taken, or data may switch to SIM 2 for the incoming call to happen.

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dual_sim_4g3g_phones

A list of such phones can be found above. They are of particular interest to Australian's, as most want band 28 / 700Mhz compatability with the countries largest carrier, Telstra, as it supports the fastest 4GX data connections and is more widely available in CBD and metro areas.

If none of those tickle your fancy, you're best to wait til Feb/March 2017, you'll likely see more than the 1 or 2 on the market currently that are true DUAL ACTIVE dual sim phones, meaning 4G and 3G over 2 radios are working at the same time, simultaneously. Still too early for me to tell what kind of effect this has on battery. Right now I'm considering the LG v20 dual H990DS, the G5 dual sim by LG and the OnePlus 3, specifically the rumoured "3T" which may be released and support greater 4G and or 3G bands in Austrsalia, one hopes.

@reb00tz - Any luck with your search? Did you get a new phone? What are your favouring?

RoOSTA

Luish77

Oct 26, 2016
Xperia XZ F8332 supports simultaneous 3G

I have both F8132 XP and F8332 XZ. Only the XZ supports simultaneous 3G on both Sims or LTE 3G on both Sims. F8132 does not support simultaneous 3G. Read owner's manual for each model and you will see.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, just to share results of my research on dual-SIM, simultaneous 4G/3G capable phones.

Do note that there are confusing and ofttimes purposely misleading terms; there are differences between:
    • the use of FDD-LTE vs. TD-LTE (sometimes misleadingly referred to as "dual LTE")
    • the ability to switch the "primary SIM/slot" (which has LTE/4G+/4G/3.5G/3G capabilities) with the second/secondary slot without physically swapping the SIM cards (refer to misleading/misinformed information within the OneNote notebook as linked, from no less than one of Singapore's leading telcos)
    • the ability to simultaneously maintain a 4G/3G connection on both SIMs

Before we start seeing responses in this thread from people asking:
    • why would you need 2nd SIM to be on 3G at the same time?
      • simply because there are countries that:
        • will be shutting down their 2G networks (e.g. US, AU, SG)
        • have service providers that do not run 2G (i.e. GSM) networks at all (e.g. CA, JP, KR)
    • why would you need two data connections?
      • There is a difference between: data connections and voice connections over 3G; if your phone is currently on LTE/4G+/4G and both your handset or your service provider/current service cell tower is not VOLTE-capable, make a phone call and you will note the connection "drops" to 3G (voice).
        • (caveat: there may be some people that want dual/separate data paths for different apps, but I believe those to be in the minority and not the target/purpose of my research)

The "crop" of "current" generation dual-SIM capable phones in wide-spread markets from the "big guns" (e.g. LG G5, Samsung Galaxy S7 and A 2016-series) cover points #1 and #2, but fail on point #3.

Legend:
    • highlighted in green background: arguably best in class
    • highlighted in red background with white text: arguably worst in class (or does not meet the needs of this article; i.e. "4G + 2G only")
    • red text: warning/of detrimental note
    • "question marked": unsure/unchecked

For the bands and the countries, that is for my internal reference only, covering most of the countries of my concern; please use that as a guide; I will not entertain requests to add more countries (as it will be a herculean/endless task).

Do note the table is incomplete (those with question marks); particularly I stopped bothering about other aspects if I confirmed it was not simultaneous 4G/3G capable. If you know of any other simultaneous 4G/3G-capable phones, please let me know to add them, but please stick to "current" phones (i.e. announced/released from 2015 or preferably mid-2015 onwards) and please also provide at least two other "official" references confirming said capability (and please do not use two "sources" that circularly-reference each other or the same "source").

NOTE: I have not stated nor verified VOLTE, either on SIM #1 or switchable primary, which is another point of interest for me; if you have any information, please let me know as well.

Thanks!

P.S.: Whereas I have seen quite a few direct edits, corrections and contributions, someone (eventually) deleted the entire page. It has been restored but made read-only for now; please PM me and I will provide an editable link.

Meanwhile, until someone else finds a better way, or I find the 2+ hours needed to properly tabulate it (i.e. put it into an easier-to-read table), consider this version "stale" from herein.
    There's a discussion in another forum at hardwarezone, but I'm not yet allowed to post links.

What I can read out, the capability is requires both hardware, i.e. Qualcomm Snapdragon 820/823 Qualcomm Snapdragon 617/625/650/652, as well as software.

The following should according to the link above, support one sim card on 3g/4g (voice/data) and the other sim card (2g?)/3g (voice only) simultaneously.
    Of course only counting the dual sim versions.

LeTV LeEco Le Max 2 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 820)
    Oneplus Three (Qualcomm Snapdragon 820) - confirmed
    Sony Xperia X Performance (Qualcomm Snapdragon 820)
    Xiaomi Mi5 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 820) - confirmed
    Xiaomi Mi Max (Qualcomm Snapdragon 650)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 Snapdragon) (un-officially - Need to un-lock and flash modifed rom)
    Zenfone 3 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 625) link in hardwarezone thread
    Zenfone 3 Ultra (Qualcom Snapdragon 652) link in hardwarezone thread
    ZUK Z2 pro (Qualcomm Snapdragon 820)

In another link I can read confirmation at a conference of:
    Moto G4 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 617)
    Moto G4 Plus (Qualcomm Snapdragon 617)
    Yes, that is what I'm talking about. You can have the OnePlus 3's primary SIM card registered on a 4G or 3G network while the secondary SIM will still register on 3G simultaneously. Let's call this dual-3G capability.
    how is it it your menu is different from mine.
    Dial *#*#7378423#*#* in the dialer.
    @reb00tz
    Nice thread - and exactly what I'm looking for. :) Except for one thing: I can't see your results in onedrive?

Hi @mossywell,

Thank you for bringing it up to my attention; it appears that I had more faith in people-at-large than I should have (or at least have faith that people-at-large had OneNote usage knowledge); someone had deleted the page and failed to have the decency to at least let me know - I could have recovered it immediately.

Thankfully, I have managed to restore it.

For now, please consider this read-only until I find a better way...