[Dualboot Patcher]Full Guide For How To DualBoot Your Note 4 (EXY/SD)

Search This thread

ananjaser1211

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
  • May 11, 2012
    Dubai
    www.youtube.com
    Dualboot patcher 101

Device : Galaxy Note 4
    Difficulty level : Easy

This is a full guide to understand and use Dualboot Patcher App

• Download latest app snapshot from : Noobdev
    • Files » DualBootPatcherAndroid-9.1.0.r80.gd5920b2-snapshot.apk
    • Latest as of Jan 8 2017
    • Install it like a normal apk

Dualbooting begins here ---

Main things to do are

• Setup Dualboot boot enviroment
    • Setup Dualboot files
    • Flashing
    • Switch between roms
    • App sharing

Part 1

Setting up for first time use

• -Open dualboot patcher app and do the following
    • -Go to Roms tab then click the 3 dot menu on "Primary"
    • -Press Set Kernel {if it didnt ask you at the beginning}
    • -Then press "Update RamDisk"

Part 2

Patching Files for dualboot

• -Download the rom you want to dualboot / any mods for it / xposed or whatever flashableZIP you want to install on your secondary rom
    • -Go to "Patch Zip File" Press the + and click "Add Flashable Zip"
    • -Select your ROM Zip
    • -Select your Device (Trelte For exynos or Trlte For Snapdragon)
    • -Select "Data slot" in Partition Configuration
    • -The ID is your parition name , basicly SAME ID for zips = Same flash location, Type rom1 for example [No caps]
    • -Do the same for any other zips (making sure the ID is the excat same)

Part 3

Flashing

Once you are done patching files , you will end up with a duplicate collection of your original files, but they end with _data-slot-[ID].zip suffix

• -Grab those files and go flash them in your recovery
    • -in the recovery screen you will see [Multiboot] prefix behind most scripts, that means you are flashing a patched zip
    • -Once you are done flashing just hit reboot from the recovery

Part 4

Switching

You will be greated with your new rom , do the first setup and you are now running your secondary rom

Now, to switch roms do the following

• -Install your dualboot patcher app on your secondary rom
    • -Open it and go to "Roms" Section
    • -Suprise, you will see Primary and below it [ID] (Data Slot)
    • -Press the primary and reboot , thats it

Part 5

App Sharing

Lets say you want your app data to be available on all your roms , Whatsapp data , telegram data , game data etc

• -Open the app on your primary rom , go to "App Sharing" Section and enable " Share Individual applications"
    • -Press "manage shared applications"
    • -Click on an app "whatsapp for example"
    • -Tick "Use shared data"
    • -Hit ok then Then go back after selecting all your apps
    • -It must show a toast saying "The changes will take effect next reboot"
    • -Reboot your device to the secondary rom and do the same thing for the same apps
    • App data is now shared across both roms,

F.A.Q please read before attempting this

1- Faild to set kernel due to unrecognized device
    -Common issue with custom roms, you can fix it by editing your Buid.prop , changing device name , code etc and ro.patcher

2- Flashing files via recovery , will it affect my primary rom ?
    - No , all the files are directed to your new rom enviroment , the only things that can affect dualboot is kernel changes

3- How to change primary / secondary kernel ?
    -To change primary , just flash the new kernel , then follow " Part 1 " of the guide again
    -To Change Secondary , Follow " Part 2 " of the guide to patch the Kernel zip then flash in recovery

4- Where are the files located ?
    -your secondary system can be found under /data/multiboot/data-slot[ID]/System (only seen when you are using primary rom or Recovery file manager)
    -Your shared app data can be found under /data/multiboot/_Appsharing

5- Enabling app sharing, my data for the app is gone.
    -When you enable app sharing it changes the data location, so whatever data you had need to be moved with it, best thing to do is to backup the app you want to share with titaniumbackup (before enabling shared data for it) then restore it when you enable data sharing and rebooting

6- How many roms can i "dualboot"
    -As much as you like aslong as you have storage in your data partition i had 4 roms dualbooted at one point

7- How much storage does it consume ?
    -CM roms are usually around 1GB for system + few GBs for data (total of 3GB-4GB For normal user with some apps)
    -TW roms are heavier around 2-3GB for system (most bloated AF roms) and same for data

8- My secondary rom broke due to a mod or something, how can i switch roms in recovery ?
    -Download dualboot utilites
    -Files » Utilities : DualBootUtilities-9.1.0.r80.gd5920b2.zip
    -Flash in recovery and it will give you an aroma installer enviroment to select your roms

9- Switch roms without aroma
    -In TWRP select flash IMG option instead of zip
    -Navigate to /internalmem/Multiboot/[ID]/boot.img
    -select flash boot
    -swipe to flash then reboot

10- Can i install a rom with aroma installer ?
    -Yes , just make sure that the aroma does NOT reboot your device after completion as the dualboot script needs to run after the rom script is done to set the new kernel etc
    —---------------------------

Hope this helps whoever wants to use this app , its very simple ,it might look complicated but its easy, GL and have fun
    This guide can be used for other devices , Dont forget to hit thanks and reply if it helped.

All thanks for the original devoloper and poster @Anik_khan

Jul 6, 2015
    I tried to set it up but i keep getting the error message whenever I click on Set kernel: "Could not determine the boot partition because this device's codename 'hltedalvik.dex2oat-filter=speed' is not recognised". I am using the exynos variant, Dooola v12 rom. Can anyone help me, please?

webmaster750

Dec 7, 2014
    I tried to set it up but i keep getting the error message whenever I click on Set kernel: "Could not determine the boot partition because this device's codename 'hltedalvik.dex2oat-filter=speed' is not recognised". I am using the exynos variant, Dooola v12 rom. Can anyone help me, please?
    If you want to dualboot a TouchWiz ROM, I highly recommend installing TW as the primary ROM. Here is screenshot of my dualboot testing list ;)

Last edited:

ananjaser1211

• May 11, 2012
    Dubai
    www.youtube.com

F.A.Q number 2 : Common issue with Dooola roms , and DN7 roms due to changes in codename

ro.patcher.device=hltedalvik.vm.dex2oat-filter=speed

This line needs to be fixed in doola build.prop

Changing it to

ro.patcher.device=treltexx Used to work for me But some people reported bootloops , so take a back up first just in case

happy2472

Dec 18, 2013
    North East PA
    I have the n910v im running red dragon rom and its showing gracelte and its not compatible ive asked for the correct line for the build.prop and havent gotten an answer as wbat line to change and what to change it to ... can anyone help me?

BluePhnx

Oct 12, 2014
    I have the n910v im running red dragon rom and its showing gracelte and its not compatible ive asked for the correct line for the build.prop and havent gotten an answer as wbat line to change and what to change it to ... can anyone help me?

QUOTE=clewis.it;70300596]Add this line to the end of /system/build.prop
    ro.patcher.device=trlte[/QUOTE

Try that it work for my n910w8.

happy2472

Dec 18, 2013
    North East PA
    QUOTE=clewis.it;70300596]Add this line to the end of /system/build.prop
    ro.patcher.device=trlte[/QUOTE

Try that it work for my n910w8.

This is what i get

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170111-022151.png
      Screenshot_20170111-022151.png
      135.8 KB · Views: 772

ananjaser1211

• May 11, 2012
    Dubai
    www.youtube.com
    This is what i get
    Sorry for late response. Your issue is due to your custom Rom changing treltexx names in prop to graceltexx. Usually renaming the changed text to treltexx must work. Use a file editor and search for any grace mention and make sure it says treltexx. Specially the device codename

And update the app It seems old

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kingtemoo

Jan 22, 2014
    Unable to access Roms after a Nandroid Restoration

After doing a nandroid back up in twrp... I restored with my 4 roms with the dualboot patcher....

Only one Rom boots and works the others dont work... whats causing this.... is there anyway to fix this because I have many good data on those roms....plus I would like to feel safe I can do a backup of my roms.

kingtemoo

Jan 22, 2014
    F.A.Q number 2 : Common issue with Dooola roms , and DN7 roms due to changes in codename

Changing it to

ro.patcher.device=treltexx Used to work for me But some people reported bootloops , so take a back up first just in case
    You mentioned making a back up... I have not been sucessfull in making a back up of this app roms... I used twrp and None of the Roms work after restoring the back up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Dualboot patcher 101

Device : Galaxy Note 4
      Difficulty level : Easy

This is a full guide to understand and use Dualboot Patcher App

• Download latest app snapshot from : Noobdev
      • Files » DualBootPatcherAndroid-9.1.0.r80.gd5920b2-snapshot.apk
      • Latest as of Jan 8 2017
      • Install it like a normal apk

Dualbooting begins here ---

Main things to do are

• Setup Dualboot boot enviroment
      • Setup Dualboot files
      • Flashing
      • Switch between roms
      • App sharing

Part 1

Setting up for first time use

• -Open dualboot patcher app and do the following
      • -Go to Roms tab then click the 3 dot menu on "Primary"
      • -Press Set Kernel {if it didnt ask you at the beginning}
      • -Then press "Update RamDisk"

Part 2

Patching Files for dualboot

• -Download the rom you want to dualboot / any mods for it / xposed or whatever flashableZIP you want to install on your secondary rom
      • -Go to "Patch Zip File" Press the + and click "Add Flashable Zip"
      • -Select your ROM Zip
      • -Select your Device (Trelte For exynos or Trlte For Snapdragon)
      • -Select "Data slot" in Partition Configuration
      • -The ID is your parition name , basicly SAME ID for zips = Same flash location, Type rom1 for example [No caps]
      • -Do the same for any other zips (making sure the ID is the excat same)

Part 3

Flashing

Once you are done patching files , you will end up with a duplicate collection of your original files, but they end with _data-slot-[ID].zip suffix

• -Grab those files and go flash them in your recovery
      • -in the recovery screen you will see [Multiboot] prefix behind most scripts, that means you are flashing a patched zip
      • -Once you are done flashing just hit reboot from the recovery

Part 4

Switching

You will be greated with your new rom , do the first setup and you are now running your secondary rom

Now, to switch roms do the following

• -Install your dualboot patcher app on your secondary rom
      • -Open it and go to "Roms" Section
      • -Suprise, you will see Primary and below it [ID] (Data Slot)
      • -Press the primary and reboot , thats it

Part 5

App Sharing

Lets say you want your app data to be available on all your roms , Whatsapp data , telegram data , game data etc

• -Open the app on your primary rom , go to "App Sharing" Section and enable " Share Individual applications"
      • -Press "manage shared applications"
      • -Click on an app "whatsapp for example"
      • -Tick "Use shared data"
      • -Hit ok then Then go back after selecting all your apps
      • -It must show a toast saying "The changes will take effect next reboot"
      • -Reboot your device to the secondary rom and do the same thing for the same apps
      • App data is now shared across both roms,

F.A.Q please read before attempting this

1- Faild to set kernel due to unrecognized device
      -Common issue with custom roms, you can fix it by editing your Buid.prop , changing device name , code etc and ro.patcher

2- Flashing files via recovery , will it affect my primary rom ?
      - No , all the files are directed to your new rom enviroment , the only things that can affect dualboot is kernel changes

3- How to change primary / secondary kernel ?
      -To change primary , just flash the new kernel , then follow " Part 1 " of the guide again
      -To Change Secondary , Follow " Part 2 " of the guide to patch the Kernel zip then flash in recovery

4- Where are the files located ?
      -your secondary system can be found under /data/multiboot/data-slot[ID]/System (only seen when you are using primary rom or Recovery file manager)
      -Your shared app data can be found under /data/multiboot/_Appsharing

5- Enabling app sharing, my data for the app is gone.
      -When you enable app sharing it changes the data location, so whatever data you had need to be moved with it, best thing to do is to backup the app you want to share with titaniumbackup (before enabling shared data for it) then restore it when you enable data sharing and rebooting

6- How many roms can i "dualboot"
      -As much as you like aslong as you have storage in your data partition i had 4 roms dualbooted at one point

7- How much storage does it consume ?
      -CM roms are usually around 1GB for system + few GBs for data (total of 3GB-4GB For normal user with some apps)
      -TW roms are heavier around 2-3GB for system (most bloated AF roms) and same for data

8- My secondary rom broke due to a mod or something, how can i switch roms in recovery ?
      -Download dualboot utilites
      -Files » Utilities : DualBootUtilities-9.1.0.r80.gd5920b2.zip
      -Flash in recovery and it will give you an aroma installer enviroment to select your roms

9- Switch roms without aroma
      -In TWRP select flash IMG option instead of zip
      -Navigate to /internalmem/Multiboot/[ID]/boot.img
      -select flash boot
      -swipe to flash then reboot

10- Can i install a rom with aroma installer ?
      -Yes , just make sure that the aroma does NOT reboot your device after completion as the dualboot script needs to run after the rom script is done to set the new kernel etc
      —---------------------------

Hope this helps whoever wants to use this app , its very simple ,it might look complicated but its easy, GL and have fun
      This guide can be used for other devices , Dont forget to hit thanks and reply if it helped.

All thanks for the original devoloper and poster @Anik_khan

Changing it to

@ananjaser1211 thank u for all your work in development aos for n4 community... thx again.

@gele777 I also tried multiboot os but no success at 3rd os.
      I used exactly same skeme like yours: primary RN N7FE, on data slot 2nd os Nemesis Refined ... until now all good... when I tried to instal 3rd Rom RR v585 I've got an error in twrp.
      The log error is attached.. maybe you or anansajer can tell me what caused this.
      Thx!
      This is because of (assert row) he must be erased!!!
      Switch to primary ROM
      With MiXplorer open patched ROM zip (just tap on zip).
      Then tap META-INF > com > google > android > updater-script (open as text with Mixplorer text editor)!!!
      And erase all first row; assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "trelte" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "trelte" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "treltexx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "treltexx" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "tre3g" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "tre3g" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "tre3gxx" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "tre3gxx" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: trelte,treltexx,tre3g,tre3gxx; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););
      Then erase empty spase just before first word ( ui_print ) in second row.
      And second row must will be first like on attached picture.
      Then tap save icon on top right and wait to process end successfully.
      Check again just for sure open updater-script file to looks like on the picture and close MiXplorer.
      Then go to recovery and install the ROM again.

Good luck
      This is what i get

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447534&page=1099

This is the thread I got my info. Go to page 644.

That is what I used.

ro.patcher.device=trlte

Search for that thread for your model but I think it's the same.
      It is worth turning to the solution of the problem with installing Aroma in another forum:
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/no...ined-nougat-n7fe-port-alpha-1-t3804371/page37
      I don't have problem to install Nemesis_Refined_3.8.6 Aroma.
      My primary ROM is Nemesis Nougat.
      Data slot (rom1) is Nemesis_Refined_3.8.6
      Data slot (rom2) is RR-N-v5.8.5
      Just try.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

I want use refined nougat as primary, and stock marshmallow as secondary. Is it possible? I am at the stock mm with rooted. Maybe i can do stock mm as primary and refined nougat as secondary. Any of these can be done?
      Yes it's possible but for primary you must install Nougat.
      This is a necessary because of kernel.
      Then install Marshmallow in (Data slot) named example (rom1).
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone