Dust underneath the screen - manufacturing defect

Do you have dust under your screen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Ivanstein

Mar 16, 2008
I am not sure if this has been covered yet or not, and I am not keen on reading 143 pages of replies...

I recently got dust under my screen. Never had it until I got rid of my elcheapo case protector.

So, being an Aerospace Engineering major, I decided to look into the problem with an analytical eye.

The problem is easy to see when you are in a dark room with the back cover off and the phone on. There is at least one open gap in the structure between the screen and the outside of the phone. Its just below the charging jack and while looking through this gap, you can actually see the white paint that covers the back of the glass. This is the white that is what you see around the home icon. I am guessing they silk screened the black on first then the white to cover it for the effect.

So, here is my theory. My little plastic case, which was an absolute pain to get on or off was enough of a seal to keep dust from getting into the case while I carried it around in my pocket, threw it on the floor of my truck and down the throat of a sarlacc to be digested over the course of a thousand years. When I finally tore the case and started carrying the thing without it, dust and fuzzbunnies from my pocket were able to get inside the case, and then, through the aforementioned gap into the glass. Now, we all know that glass is pretty good at holding onto static electricity and that rubbing a glass rod with a silk cloth will make the hair on your arm stand up (and, ahem, collect dust) so its no wonder that dust tends to collect there.

There are three answers.

1) buy a cheap case from where ever I got mine. If you can find it, tell me, because I can't remember.

2) Only use your phone in a laboratory clean room environment, and never..ever put it in your pocket, near anything with small fibers or a sarlacc.

3) Make HTC not be complete morons when designing an LCD screen. Seriously. Not sealing the damn thing is like selling fresh eggs with out the shell. Or better yet its like selling a Bugatti Veyron and forgetting to design it with a fuel tank.

I have been exclusively an HTC owner since I had my Apache years back. At this point since HTC pulled a Samsung, I am seriously considering migrating to Motorolla. Considering Motorolla's historical roots with Learjet (Yes, it's true, read up on it. Harvey Leer was pivotal in Motorolla, the miniaturization of electronics, and hundreds of things we take for granted) I figure I will have at least a fighting chance of a decent piece of hardware.

Last edited:

Daiskei

Feb 13, 2009
I've had my Sensation 4G since January 1st, a pretty fair chunk of time and I have yet to get ANY dust under the screen. With my G2 it happened within a week or so of having it... MyTouch 4G Slide took around two weeks. I've gotten TONS of dust inside the back of the phone and in the side of the back (around the screen) but that's fixed by removing the cover and wiping it down, even then it's not that bad... Do you think maybe they've fixed it in the newer batches? Not like a whole change in the way it's manufactured but perhaps a slight enough change to make it not as vulnerable? Perhaps people keep receiving refurbished phones and that's why it keeps occurring. Just a little of my insight... probably wrong. I doubt they'd change they way the phone is manufactured at all. XD

nkojic

Jan 2, 2012
Osijek
I bought my Sensation in 6/2011. After a month and a half, the problem of dust under the screen has appeared. First time the servise changed the display and then after again mounth and a half, i got the dust againt. I called htc service and I explained the problem to them. I recived after that new or refurbished phone i realy dont know how to recognized the difference? After 1 day dust again. Again i got secon new phone and the problem appeared after 1 month. Third and fourth i recived in 1/2012. And this last one i recived has all protection from the dust (service told me that). And after two weeks the problem is again here. Then i called again htc service and htc has aproved new device htc sensation xe (only phone with baterry). By the end of the week should be with me. And now i have two question when the phone come:

1. Should I put the silicone on outer edge of the screen immediately
2. How to distinguish a new phone from refurbished ?

cosmin_b78

Jun 16, 2010
London
The same problem with mine. Some dust on the left side of the screen. Doesn't bother me, but is disappointing that HTC didn't give attention to this detail. :-(

Sent from my HTC Sensation with beats audio using XDA app

bsanto9

Mar 27, 2010
Can someone post picture how the phone looks with this silicon metod?

I find this insane thread lol. I hate dust as much as thr next guy especially on my phone (OCD When it comes to my phone). But I would think after me seeing this htc would wake up ! I know evo 3d had this problem in the beginning. But looked all over google and found not recent stories, just some from when it was first released. Wow I'm feel bad for all of you that have had this issie time and time again. I would lmove on to new phone

See screen manufacturing is changing for the better. But htc doesn't recognize this they use the new panels but don't assembling the same as others (iphone, samsung). If anyone remembers the iphone yellow blotches debacle? What they did was glue the display and digitizer together. Called Zero air gap. Its supposed to make for better viewing angles. The same thing samsung does and what is suppose to be done with super lcd what the sensation has. .

Sensation should have had this used. But for some reason htc decided not to. If HTC did this most phones would not have to worry about this issue. Hopefully they use it soon.

Nick L

Oct 13, 2011
Denver
No dust since November. No case and no sealant. Phone gets super dusty inside the back cover, but none under the screen. I had 2 phones that got dust after 4 days so I know what it looks like, and I'm super OCD and check every day...

I definitely think it's coming from something cracking inside. If any of you get a replacement or repair you should try putting your phone in your pocket with the screen away from your body. That's the only thing I've done differently between the first two and the third.

It's possible that HTC might have fixed their manufacturing process, though, as the third phone was made after T-Mobile started acknowledging the problem.

Last edited:

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
I thought I'd got away with this issue, until the other day when I picked up the sleeping phone in bright sunshine and noticed some dust on the left side half way up the screen. Turning the screen on, even a pure white page renders the dust invisible so I'm not too worried at the moment.

I bought the phone second hand on Ebay so I rang HTC to enquire if the warranty is valid and for how long on my serial number. The guy was very helpful, as I didn't have proof of purchase they would warranty for two years from the date the handset left the warehouse, so I have until August 2013 left. He did caution that obvious drop damage would result in a repair charge, which is fair enough.

My personal view is the dust is a result of a micro breach in the tape joining the digitiser and LCD together, as the phone heats and cools (or the screen is squeezed manually then released) air is drawn into this gap along with dust.

Glueing the digitiser and LCD together, as with other phones and my old HD2, would prevent this - but on the other hand would make digitiser replacement a real b*****d. I can see why they've gone for this solution, but they got the tape specification wrong.

crisisinthecity

Nov 8, 2009
Cincinnati
www.ripplejunction.com
My brand new sealed in the box replacement that was guaranteed to not have this problem now has dust. Manufactured in December 2011. Weaksauce! I'm taking it back and will see about getting a different phone. I love my Sensation, but am too ocd to deal with dust under the screen.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

I will have a replacement tomorrow.

The CS dude at my local T Mobile shop told me that I should be using a screen protector. Cause you know, that will totally keep it from happening.

I wanted to tell him that he was an idiot but I refrained.

If i get a refurbished phone this time, instead of a new one, I'm sending the refurbished back and will call HTC. Maybe they have a real solution for this like others have stated?

Pard0ned

Oct 14, 2010
Belfast
I'm just dropping by to say that I've no dust anywhere inside my phone. Had it about 6 months now and, to-be-honest, I don't treat it well (gets thrown about the place and put in pocket with keys dust - probably bits of food sometimes too, and I haven't seen anything.

Suppose I could just be the lucky one though.

crisisinthecity

Nov 8, 2009
Cincinnati
www.ripplejunction.com
I'm just dropping by to say that I've no dust anywhere inside my phone. Had it about 6 months now and, to-be-honest, I don't treat it well (gets thrown about the place and put in pocket with keys dust - probably bits of food sometimes too, and I haven't seen anything.

Suppose I could just be the lucky one though.

Or you haven't noticed.

ursubpar

Dec 26, 2010
Houston TX
I have a sensation w/ dust in the top middle of the screen.

Made in china

manufacture date:
December 12, 2011

Also has clicking battery cover.

had it for a few weeks.

Last edited:

nkojic

Jan 2, 2012
Osijek
I will have a replacement tomorrow.

The CS dude at my local T Mobile shop told me that I should be using a screen protector. Cause you know, that will totally keep it from happening.

I wanted to tell him that he was an idiot but I refrained.

If i get a refurbished phone this time, instead of a new one, I'm sending the refurbished back and will call HTC. Maybe they have a real solution for this like others have stated?

How do i now if i get refurbished or new phone? Is there any notable difference. All 5 phones that I received looked like new. And now I am waiting XE to come.

yasobaso

Aug 8, 2010
Istanbul
Me too :(

I've an ACER screen and have dust at left in the middle. After all crappy beta like OS (3D/Gameing problems) and bloated GUI (HTC Sense 3.0) + manufacturing failures like dust under screen and that my volume button dropped of (which is currently replaced by Service), I can say I'm really disappointed with this device. I owned SGS before and wanted something which has more quality in the build.

I'm just wondering : "Wasn't our money good enough?". Many of us still try to flash daily new ROM's thnks Dev's which I'm really thankful, but lets face it the Sensation shouldn't be a flagship device at all.

Now I need to get back to stock and send to service and wait min. 2 - 3 weeks until I get my device back. This isn't the way it should.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the perfect fix for dust under my screen. I am going to get a Nexus 4 and never buy an HTC product again. Problem solved.
    Using mine since 27/05. It spends half of the time in the pocket, the back cover was taken off a few times as well. There's dust all around the screen where it meets the cover but none underneath the actual touchscreen.
    Quite bad idea for a back cover IMHO but no dust issues so far. Standard issue Vodafone IRL Sensation
    As per title really...has anyone else experienced dust getting underneath the touchscreen?

on one of the rare days of sunshine last week I noticed a small amount of dust under the screen. It's going back to vodafone for "repair"

Not a good sign on a two week old device!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App
    And there's another thread about this same issue.

This is very depressing.

I've really hit a point where I'm wondering if this is the right device for me :( .

This is how it goes in the beginning, unfortunately. Remember, this is a small percentage of actual Sensation phones we're hearing about here. Then again, I'm coming from the G2X...talk about issues.

I bought the Nexus One at launch, and had many issues. However, it turned out being the best phone I ever owned.
    Seriously dude? No pockets? Where else would a guy keep his phone? Beltclip? No thanks. A phone should never get dust under the screen period. You just got lucky.

i think ill just tape it to my balls then...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone