• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

dynamic system update install failed

Search This thread

chriskhany

Aug 13, 2015
I have tried installing android 11 using Dynamic system update using this guide from google.

and I downloaded the official GSI aosp_arm64_ab-img-7129344.zip
by google and system-roar-arm64-ab-gapps.img.xz by Phhusson from here

but after following all the steps as

1. extracting the zip file and converting the .img file to an unsparsed image:

simg2img system.img system_raw.img

2. gzip the resulting system_raw.img

gzip -c system_raw.img > system_raw.gz

3. copy it to the download folder in internal storage

adb push system_raw.gz /storage/emulated/0/Download/

4. Enabling the DSU feature flag Using the following adb command:

adb shell setprop persist.sys.fflag.override.settings_dynamic_system true

5. launching DSU using adb

adb shell am start-activity \
-n com.android.dynsystem/com.android.dynsystem.VerificationActivity \
-a android.os.image.action.START_INSTALL \
-d file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/system_raw.gz \
--el KEY_SYSTEM_SIZE $(du -b system_raw.img|cut -f1) \
--el KEY_USERDATA_SIZE 8589934592

and after verifying the connection by my fingerprint or pin a notification immediately appears saying install failed.
Could I ask what I am doing wrong?

extra notes: I have activated usb debugging and installed simg2img in linux mint`s software manager.
my adb platform`s tools version is 30.5.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210207-213713.png
    Screenshot_20210207-213713.png
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Are you bootloader unlocked? I'm stuck with verizon's locked dickloader and can't find a clear yes or no around Google as to whether or not the bl must be unlocked for dsu's to work. (I think i read on Googles dsu page that unlocked is required, im just filtering that part from my memory due to verizon's spectacular suck job.)

If your bl is locked and you get it to work i would very much like to know.

LinhBT

Apr 21, 2020
VietNam
Xiaomi Mi 5X
Redmi K20 Pro
I have tried installing android 11 using Dynamic system update using this guide from google.

and I downloaded the official GSI aosp_arm64_ab-img-7129344.zip
by google and system-roar-arm64-ab-gapps.img.xz by Phhusson from here

but after following all the steps as

1. extracting the zip file and converting the .img file to an unsparsed image:

simg2img system.img system_raw.img

2. gzip the resulting system_raw.img

gzip -c system_raw.img > system_raw.gz

3. copy it to the download folder in internal storage

adb push system_raw.gz /storage/emulated/0/Download/

4. Enabling the DSU feature flag Using the following adb command:

adb shell setprop persist.sys.fflag.override.settings_dynamic_system true

5. launching DSU using adb

adb shell am start-activity \
-n com.android.dynsystem/com.android.dynsystem.VerificationActivity \
-a android.os.image.action.START_INSTALL \
-d file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/system_raw.gz \
--el KEY_SYSTEM_SIZE $(du -b system_raw.img|cut -f1) \
--el KEY_USERDATA_SIZE 8589934592

and after verifying the connection by my fingerprint or pin a notification immediately appears saying install failed.
Could I ask what I am doing wrong?

extra notes: I have activated usb debugging and installed simg2img in linux mint`s software manager.
my adb platform`s tools version is 30.5.
I'm facing the same problem, did you solve it?

Ralph Chen

Jul 2, 2020
Hi I have the exact same problem, but I've unlocked bootloader
Btw the problem may not be bootloader, because I have a bootloader-locked Mi 11 and the installation succeeded (but can't reboot lol)

Oct 9, 2019
Same issue for me but with locked bootloader with Redmi note 9S .. don't know what should I do, as far as I know DSU works with locked bootloader also in Android 11 ..

You're gonna have to elaborate on that Schitte™ possibly. If this is in fact true, my nipples will pay you a large sum with skin flakes (and toenails of course, but the bigger ones that even still bend).

I'm totally open to my problem being user error of some kind.
Could it possibly be something of a storage space thing? In my case I had around >12Gb when it didn't work the first try, so I freed a horse load of space, plenty I'd imagine for what sounds similar-ish to installing a second OS. No dice. Only thing I haven't yet tried is fac-tree-re-set-ting first. Just re-re-re-looked over this thing, too.

👉 https://developer.android.com/topic/dsu

Even CTRL+F found nothing about locked or unlocked, not much more on WhyNotWork?™ or any troubleshooting.
Almost feels like, If you can't figure out why it won't work, then you don't need to know. Be happy we gave you YooToob and Faysbook.

~If you know how with locked bl, we must know.
Please'nThankYew

Last edited:

mohamedfaky

Nov 14, 2014
You're gonna have to elaborate on that Schitte™ possibly. If this is in fact true, my nipples will pay you a large sum with skin flakes (and toenails of course, but the bigger ones that even still bend).

I'm totally open to my problem being user error of some kind.
Could it possibly be something of a storage space thing? In my case I had around >12Gb when it didn't work the first try, so I freed a horse load of space, plenty I'd imagine for what sounds similar-ish to installing a second OS. No dice. Only thing I haven't yet tried is fac-tree-re-set-ting first. Just re-re-re-looked over this thing, too.

👉 https://developer.android.com/topic/dsu

Even CTRL+F found nothing about locked or unlocked, not much more on WhyNotWork?™ or any troubleshooting.
Almost feels like, If you can't figure out why it won't work, then you don't need to know. Be happy we gave you YooToob and Faysbook.

~If you know how with locked bl, we must know.
Please'nThankYew
yeah it seems that it doesn't work without unlocking the bootloader.. also freeing over 50GB fixed install failed error but can't reboot to the GSI with locked bl lol... as i heared google will remove the requirement of unlocking bl to install signed GSIs soon.. also this feature maybe used to run both google signed GSIs and OEM signed GSIs.. i'm wondering why DSU can't be used to try custom roms on unlocked devices? you should unlock the bootloader to be able to boot only signed GSIs with DSU??