• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

e-SIM/Dual SIM Feature Upgrade Available/Included In OTA March Security Patch Update For SM-N986U Users!!

Search This thread

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 4a 5G
IT'S TRUE!! For you lucky t-mobile customers rocking the Galaxy Note20 Ultra (SM-N986U) you now have this really kool feature on your handset, as this upgrade came included with your March Security Patch Update!
CONGRATULATIONS!👍🤓👍

For the factory unlocked users SM-N986U1 as me, we too can obtain these features our brethren received I suppose, if we're willing to flash the SM-N986U build, N986USQU2DUC8 using modded-odin 3.13.3b, all-the-while not forgetting to back-up everything we have as this task involves a data wipe in advance of a clean flash. Also, when dragging & dropping your files in preparation, remember to use CSC, instead of HOME CSC, for this task. Afterwards, we'll gain this upgraded feature due to the fact we temporarily but effectively morphed our devices into the carrier-bound equivalent or SM-N986U for all intents and purposes! We can always revert back to our "old selves" , as we haven't done anything permanent here!

When done properly, this task causes no harm to your handset, whatsoever. If you're inexperienced with flashing firmware utilizing Odin, get someone to assist you, and help
walk- you-through the steps.Don't go it alone if you're unsure. Help is on the way, just ask!🤓

I'm putting this on my weekend to-do list, as it's unlikely this feature will find it's way to the unlocked variant, frequented by us "Rogue" wireless users! Sure, you'll pick-up a little carrier bloat, maybe a half-a-dozen apps in the switch, but that's it!? That's the only downside I see, in addition to the obvious time inconvenience a data-wipe always brings!

It's a bold move, but a smart one, for T-mobile! When you pair that one with their recent commitment to Google for integrating the Google Messages app into their (Android-based)) system app line-up for new device offerings. They recognize the value of the upgrade to RCS messaging and what comes with that, for existing and new tmobile customers alike.

Sure, It'd be easier if this e-sim/dual sim feature was included in the SM-N986U1 OTA March Security Patch Update for the unlocked users, but their heart is in the right place and always with their core users (SM-N986U) I suppose?🤔

Safe Journeys, and everyone remember to stay covid-19 Safe!

(I'll check back in with this thread, afterwards)!

Last edited:

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Indeed...I wish tmobile would become inspired to share the love with us! It could happen down the road, I guess? It does explain somewhat why it took them so long to rollout the OTA's the past few months. We're on April already, and some of the carrier-bound folks were still on January until this release!

cuibap1

Oct 19, 2020
I converted my TMU Note 20 Ultra to eSIM and it works fine. I took out my old SIM as it is disabled by the conversion process. Don't have another SIM to test but it looks like you can use physical SIM in addition to eSIM. From what I can tell, you can add unlimited number of eSIM to it.

Reactions: evnStevn

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Correct. eSIM support is carrier dependent as well as device brand/model. The carrier support must come first then the carrier's devices will eventually get eSIM support. Verizon has a few devices that supports eSIM however most of their phones don't offer eSIM. However, Spectrum Mobile (uses Verizon network) doesn't support eSIM on any device at this time. So don't expect OTA's to include eSIM support until your specific carrier fully supports it. This is why the unlocked devices will likely not see eSIM support for a while; at least not until all U.S. carriers fully support it beyond iPhones.

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I converted my TMU Note 20 Ultra to eSIM and it works fine. I took out my old SIM as it is disabled by the conversion process. Don't have another SIM to test but it looks like you can use physical SIM in addition to eSIM. From what I can tell, you can add unlimited number of eSIM to it.
Do you still have 5G band, with that f'n kool "5G" icon in the upper right?!🤓

evnStevn

Feb 21, 2015
Inverness
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Dude,

I got shut down...I tried to flash the SM-N986U f/ware but kept getting this new screen(to me) that was all about the bootloader and wasn't seeing much when trying to search it on the desktop. I was extremely wiped-out from the weekend but it ain't rocket science, how embarrassing! SMH

Anyone got a clue what screen in recovery I'm speaking of...your hooked up USB to desktop I was using patchd-modded ver. 3.14.1B or.3.14.3B newer than my usual 3.13.3B I used on my SM-N960UI n9u1 a few handsets back.
Anyway, tap to bootloader, then it kicks up this screen that asks boot to FRRP?(maybe) and also boot to QSSI?, Other choices were START(which just brings you back to the familiar recovery screen, POWER OFF, and I think that was it!! Odin was locked & loaded, was connected through a com port, etc, just wasn't able to get my handset to say "OK I'm ready Odin, HIT ME? So now,.I'm in worse shape, still on U1 f/ware and in the midst of re-adding in everything back on due to the data wipe (which I wont) cuz I'm hoping one of my trusted comrades is gonna "hook this ole' white boy up" and coach me on what I'm missing here with this "noob shi#" "beginners for sinners" embarrassing momentI had this early am?!smh Ive flashed so many times over on Discords SamCentral,.the one I'm banned from now for almost a yr.now(thanks Max W.) I had a how-to guide under pinned posts on flashing with Odin...I called it "birdman's How-To guide, to Flashing Successfully On Every Occasion."
An Easy, Step-by-step Guide To a Successful Flashing Session, Guaranteed to NOT land you in jail!! (right hand to God, on that one)!😁

Thanks for playing...if anyone can think of something I missed or what choice to make on that new bootloader Menu screen, hook me Up!

🤔

evnStevn

Top Liked Posts