• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

E46 - Joying JY-BL121N2 5.1.1

Search This thread

Blaze Falconburger

Dec 20, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Thanks for the help all, ordered will give feedback when I've set it up. Ive done over a month of no music now so almost anything is welcome. Luckily ive been on the train a lot so haven't had to endure the sweet diesel clatter for too long each day!

Last edited:

totaltmega

Mar 9, 2010
Any Feedback on this unit? Interested to buy one of these for my E53 X5

I have one for my E46

What do you want to know?

I'm happy with it, run mostly Waze, and spotify in online/offline mode.
My E46 has one FAKRA connector to the vehicle harness, the provided adapter is a two FAKRA system to the unit with a blue 12V wire (ANT power). This is for older vehicles, with an older antenna amplifier that needs 12V from the radio. connecting the wrong of the identical FAKRA connectors and you have 12V sent back to the amplifier which might destroy it.... I measured so that I connected the right FAKRA connector and did not use the blue 12V cable. Still I have terrible radio reception! So I ordered an extra ANT-208 antenna amplifier, Ill see if it makes a difference when it turns up.
s-l1600.jpg

And I also ordered a single FAKRA to ISO cable:
s-l1600.jpg

Will let you know if i get some better reception with the ANT-208.

BT works good, except sometimes the other person on the call don't hear me well on the external mic, i think it is just noise from the road.
BT tethering does not work out of the box as BT settings are removed from settings.apk, I will replace the APK with a ASOP built one for BT tethering.

Saiyajin

Jan 7, 2007
This is for older vehicles, with an older antenna amplifier that needs 12V from the radio. connecting the wrong of the identical FAKRA connectors and you have 12V sent back to the amplifier which might destroy it.... I measured so that I connected the right FAKRA connector and did not use the blue 12V cable.

So wait - if I connect the blue wire to the cables, and connect the wrong FAKRA connector (I actually tried both!) I will destroy my antenna amplifier because it's feeding in a 12V power supply? I thought, that the blue cable is for transmitting the radio signal back to the headunit. How is the signal supposed to go back otherwise? I don't have any other connectors in the front - the antenna cable including it's FAKRA style connector is in the trunk.

Flemischguy

Dec 15, 2014
Antwerp
Please beware that the antenna amplifier in our E46 car, normaly starts automatically. Look at the diagram, pin 16 uses a 12 volts signal to you're antenna amplifier. what you could do is to take out pin 16 out of the pin connector and connect it directly with the blue wire of the radio or take a piece of wire and make a bridge from pin 16 to the 12 volt on pin 5. Otherwise, a bad reception could be caused by bad contacts with the antenna in the rear window by dust or moist, try to clean it with dry air (like for pc's) if nothing works you have to replace the antenna amplifier.

https://i.imgur.com/E1uY9Ye.jpg

Good luck

totaltmega

Mar 9, 2010
I also tried the blue wire and the "wrong" fakra connector connected, sending only 12v back to the amp, no signal. But I tested the OEM radio after and it worked so I didn't break the antenna amplifier fortunately.

I left the pin 16 as it is for 12v back to the antenna amp via the "external speaker amp power output", brown/white if I remember correctly that is connected to pin 16. I measured it under load and it was 13V so no need to re pin it to use the blue wire instead which has more current out. I could also hear that the signal was cut off when i disabled AMP Power in the settings menu, so the power to the antenna amp works as it should, but not enough sensitivity in this radio, therefore I'm waiting for the ANT-208.

Last edited:

Saiyajin

Jan 7, 2007
I also tried the blue wire and the "wrong" fakra connector connected, sending only 12v back to the amp, no signal. But I tested the OEM radio after and it worked so I didn't break the antenna amplifier fortunately.

I left the pin 16 as it is for 12v back to the antenna amp via the "external speaker amp power output", brown/white if I remember correctly that is connected to pin 16. I measured it under load and it was 13V so no need to re pin it to use the blue wire instead which has more current out. I could also hear that the signal was cut off when i disabled AMP Power in the settings menu, so the power to the antenna amp works as it should, but not enough sensitivity in this radio, therefore I'm waiting for the ANT-208.

From what I've understood we still need to connect this big clunky metall antenna plug into the headunit - right? If that's the case I'm afraid I have a problem. I had to buy the 5m extension harness, since my X5 had the factory NavSat which has all the original connectors in the trunk, under the spare tire. Even though I have the antenna adapter with the FAKRA plugs, I have no way to get that big metall connector to the headunit in the front.

totaltmega

Mar 9, 2010
From what I've understood we still need to connect this big clunky metall antenna plug into the headunit - right? If that's the case I'm afraid I have a problem. I had to buy the 5m extension harness, since my X5 had the factory NavSat which has all the original connectors in the trunk, under the spare tire. Even though I have the antenna adapter with the FAKRA plugs, I have no way to get that big metall connector to the headunit in the front.

Looks like you have to route a long fakra extention cable all the way to the front, or try to fit a small antenna somewhere in the front.

Saiyajin

Jan 7, 2007
Looks like you have to route a long fakra extention cable all the way to the front, or try to fit a small antenna somewhere in the front.

So - to sum up. Joying fu**ed up and forgot to include an antenna cable in their 5 m extension cable. Also: after 3 mail going back and forth with the joying support, they just simply stopped responding to my questions. Doesn't look like they're interested in resolving the issue. Probably because they realized that they fu**ed up. :silly:

totaltmega

Mar 9, 2010
I got the ANT-208 and I have better reception now but its not as good as stock radio.

Another issue I have:
Got the rear camera in the mail but the Joying does not recognize when I'm in reverse. There is a orange cable going to the CAN Box that should trigger a 12V signal on the orange cable when in reverse. I tested to add 12V manually with the CAN Box disconnected and it triggered.

Does your radio trigger a black screen when in reverse?
Does BMW IBus even have the reversing command for CAN Box to listen too?

Waiting for support from Joying, hoping they have some CAN Box upgrade for me, else I have to cut the orange wire and trigger it from the reversing lights...

Flemischguy

Dec 15, 2014
Antwerp
[Does BMW IBus even have the reversing command for CAN Box to listen too?

I have a Ownice C200 and have a 325ci with a SMG gearbox, if i put the gearbox in drive, the screen went black, when i put it in neutral the screen came back on, if i put in reverse it get a black screen again. I contacted Ownice and had to cut the pink wire on the canbus and the problem was solved. So yes, it could be that your canbus thinks it had to go in reversing mode if it's a SMG or automatic grearbox.

totaltmega

Mar 9, 2010
[Does BMW IBus even have the reversing command for CAN Box to listen too?

I have a Ownice C200 and have a 325ci with a SMG gearbox, if i put the gearbox in drive, the screen went black, when i put it in neutral the screen came back on, if i put in reverse it get a black screen again. I contacted Ownice and had to cut the pink wire on the canbus and the problem was solved. So yes, it could be that your canbus thinks it had to go in reversing mode if it's a SMG or automatic grearbox.

Good to know, hope there is one for manual gearbox as well.

Blaze Falconburger

Dec 20, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I eventually received my unit and have had it in now for a few weeks - coming from an MTCB it is much better - audio quality is actually pretty decent, way better than the MTCB (I only have uprated speakers, no external amp or sub), and the speed of the unit to boot and in operation is lightning fast in comparison.

I'm using PowerAmp and the Folder view with a USB disk with around 300GB of MP3s on, which only required the single USB connection to power it, not an additional one. It catalogs it way quicker than the MTCB used to - I don't use the library view, that just doesn't work for me. I mounted the hard disk in the glove box on some velcro and ran the cable through to the head unit, very easy.

I mostly use Waze for navigation, or Google Maps or the installed iGO - all work well, though I haven't used them in too much depth

Bluetooth - works for phone calls, I've not tried audio or OBD adapters over it

FM - I plugged it in as reception is bad here so I can't listen to anything when moving as it keeps cutting in and out, but I haven't even tested it works - I do remember seeing the 2 connectors on the back of the head unit, I didn't realise they were different. I'll try later and see what I've broken :D

Steering wheel controls worked out the box perfectly

I am considering adding a DAB adapter to give some kind of radio ability

Niggles
I'm not sure if the radio always properly hibernates. I think the value in the menu is set to 10 minutes, but plenty of times I have come back after it has been parked for 12 hours and it has done the quick resume. I've also had a random flat battery since fitting this head unit after the car was parked again for about 12 hours - totally dead, it wouldn't even crank. I never had this before, and I didn't find anything else on which would have caused it to totally drain. I haven't had it since, but it's only been in for 3-4 weeks.

Also a few times it has totally reset the settings - it's obvious when it powers on as the time is always wrong - it's nearly always 16 hours behind, the keypad touch tones are back on and the EQ has reset. I'm not sure what causes this, but at least the car has always started when this is the case.

Reversing - I don't have a reverse camera but everytime I reverse the head unit keeps switching to show a black screen with reverse lines - I couldn't see a way to fully disable this in the menu, so I probably need to remove a reverse signal wire (assuming it's not done over the can bus)

Fitting - in the UK E46 the air vent ducting behind the head unit is not parallel to the head unit - it is closer to the passenger side (left hand side as facing the head unit), leaving more room behind the right hand side. So where are the connectors? All on the left hand side, meaning everything is tight and bent at awkward angles as it comes out of the head unit.

Also - the amount of boxes and cables - I'm not sure if it's more or if everything is just bigger than the MTCB I had (which also had separate can bus box), but it was a very tight fit and took ages to route things as best I could to all the head unit to eventually seat all the way in. Fiddly, but possible

Last edited:

totaltmega

Mar 9, 2010
Reversing - I don't have a reverse camera but everytime I reverse the head unit keeps switching to show a black screen with reverse lines - I couldn't see a way to fully disable this in the menu, so I probably need to remove a reverse signal wire (assuming it's not done over the can bus)

Disconnect the orange wire between CAN Box and Radio and you will not trigger the reverse black screen.
I have the problem that it doesn't trigger at all, seems like I need a new CAN Box. Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

You can disable the lines but i don't think you can disable the trigger in software.

Blaze Falconburger

Dec 20, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I have a manual gearbox. It is actually quite delayed in enabling it - often I've reversed into a space and just as I am stopping it decides to enable it. Ive no idea if the reverse lights are also delayed at coming on so I'm not sure if the delay is the reverse switch or the radio. But I'll disable it anyway, thanks for the clarification on the reverse wire colour.

Is it a can signal or just a high/low?

totaltmega

Mar 9, 2010
I have a manual gearbox. It is actually quite delayed in enabling it - often I've reversed into a space and just as I am stopping it decides to enable it. Ive no idea if the reverse lights are also delayed at coming on so I'm not sure if the delay is the reverse switch or the radio. But I'll disable it anyway, thanks for the clarification on the reverse wire colour.

Is it a can signal or just a high/low?

Its a fully orange wire (not dual color like orange/fainted white) that goes from CAN Box to Radio and it only triggers the reverse, so you don't remove the can signals from the CAN Box att all.

I might just wire the orange wire to the break lights as it might be faster than the CAN Box. My reversing lights are instant. Good to know.

Top Liked Posts