• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Easiest 4G Wimax Fix [Possibly]

Search This thread

a2k

Jun 30, 2006
I'd been having problems with 4G being stuck in scanning mode after 1.47 ROM updates and almost lost all hope when no solutions seemed to work.

UNTIL!!!!!!

1. Flash your 1.47 based ROM of choice.

2. Make sure 4G is turned off and boot into recovery and install latest Radio (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715485) and update profile then update PRL.

3. Make sure 4G is turned off and boot into Recovery and install latest Wimax Radio (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715485) and update profile then update PRL.

4. DELETE TREE.XML FILE IN THE FOLLOWING DIRECTORY: /data/misc/wimax/
How you delete this file is totally up to you. I personally deleted using adb shell, but Root Explorer from the Market should work as well.

5. Reboot & Turn on 4G
At this point the tree.xml file will be automatically generated and hopefully you will have full functioning 4G.

Good luck!

Last edited:

owleyes

Jun 16, 2010
I will second this!

After i updated to Fresh's newest this morning I ran into this is as well. I used root explorer to delete the tree file and voila, functioning 4g goodness.

SolsticeZero

Jun 2, 2010
Houston
Worked for me as well! I'm glad it's this easy! Although, I just used ADB instead of Root Explorer, but they both work the same.

initial

Nov 4, 2007
Los Angeles
can someone post the adb commands for us cheap (don't want to spend the $ on root explorer) n00b's?
here you go:

To figure out what your mac address is/file name is called:
Code:
adb shell
ls /data/misc/wimax
this will list all the files and folders in the wimax folder. look for the one ending with .tree.xml

Then to remove the file (assuming you're still in shell-denoted by the # sign):
Code:
rm data/misc/wimax/############.tree.xml

Last edited:

kamiller42

Jun 16, 2010
If you say 4G works, can you say if you can connect, leave the 4G area for a little while, re-enter the 4G area, and have the phone re-connect 4G without getting stuck on "Scanning" or "Obtaining IP?"

ewilson

Jan 14, 2009
I did the whitslack method flash DC 3.2.3 everything works great only problem I'm having is everytime I leave 4g area I have to reboot for 4g to work this goes for wifi wont start unless reboot Bluetooth wont conect unless reboot. Can someone please confirm if this is only on rooted roms or both stock and rooted.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

danknee

Oct 22, 2009
Las Vegas
here you go:

To figure out what your mac address is/file name is called:
Code:
adb shell
ls /data/misc/wimax
this will list all the files and folders in the wimax folder. look for the one ending with .tree.xml

Then to remove the file (assuming you're still in shell-denoted by the # sign):
Code:
rm data/misc/wimax/############.tree.xml

If you want to delete the tree you can just use a wildcard without listing the directory first:
Code:
adb shell
rm data/misc/wimax/*.tree.xml

initial

Nov 4, 2007
Los Angeles

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
Posted here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717307&page=3

I need someone to confirm, but I believe I found a FIX!!!

Requirements:
Your MSL code (See Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697487)

Instructions:
Turn OFF your 4G radio if it is turned on!
1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Click on the menu entry "WiMAX"
5) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
6) Enter the number 15 and click "OK" (This equals 15 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
7) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"
8) Enter the number 0 and click "OK" (This equals 0 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
9) Press the "Menu" key and click on "Commit Modifications"
10) Grab a cup of coffee, get a bite to eat, or sit back and wait for your EVO to restart

Testing:

1) Go to your phone's settings and click on "Wireless & networks"
2) Scroll down and click on 4G settings
3) Click on 4G to turn it on and wait for the status to change to "Connected to Sprint"
4) Without touching any of the menu items, cover the top half of your phone with your hands until the status changes to "Scanning..."
5) Uncover the top of the phone and count the seconds until it says "Connecting to Sprint"
6) Realize that you no longer have to cycle the 4G radio to reconnect :D

Result:
After modifying my EVO and my girlfriend's EVO and inputting these changes, the phone will reconnect to the 4G tower in as little as 20 seconds!
Yes, 20 seconds, the most I have seen so far is 30 seconds after dropping the connection. This is a HUGE improvement over the 5+ minutes to reconnect (300+ seconds).

Neotelos_com

Jul 29, 2008
Seattle
Just to clear things up, this will not fix any bad MAC addresses.
This is just a soft fix to get roms working (given that your MAC has not been corrupted)

Hrshycro

Jun 10, 2010
Just to clear things up, this will not fix any bad MAC addresses.
This is just a soft fix to get roms working (given that your MAC has not been corrupted)

How do I fix the corrupted mac address? I think that may be what my problem is.

Edit: Nevermind, this fixed the problem; I have a weak signal in my house and it's still as bad as before the original wimax radio. :(

Last edited:

jacc1234

Jul 8, 2010
I have tried the method of the original poster and still have no luck. I rooted my phone after the OTA update using the simple root method. Prior to root my 4G was working.

I then installed BakedSnack 9.6 and since then 4G just sits on scanning. I have installed the latest radio/wimax roms multiple times and done everything else to no luck.

Can someone with a now working wimax post their output from logcat when they enable it. There is a thread in Q&A here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725773 that explains the issue some of us are seeing.

For me and others with issues Logcat showing the error: E/Wimax ( 274): <DCP> Bad return status 0xffffffff

To capture a logcat connect do the following in adb:
Code:
adb shell
logcat > \sdcard\logcat.txt
immediately start wimax and leave it until it connects
You can now hit CTRL+C to kill logcat

The output of the logcat will be written to a text file called logcat.txt on the root of your sdcard instead of just scrolling by on your screen.

If someone here could do this it would be much appreciated and might help those of us still having issues.

Last edited: