• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Easiest [GUIDE] to ROOT Dell Venue 8 Tablet 3840 and 7840

Search This thread

cmahendra

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai
Easiest [GUIDE] for Newbies to
ROOT Dell Venue 8 Tablet 3840 and 7840
with Android 4.4.4
TETHERED CWM METHOD
** Disclaimer: This is not my work. I have just consolidated all information and files together into one simple STEP BY STEP GUIDE.
** Do at your own Risk. I am not responsible if you mess up your tablet. The method works perfectly on my 3840 and a fb friend 7840 without any issues and should work for everyone.
** This may work for some other Intel Chipset devices/tablets too. Inform me if it works for your model
** ALL THE CREDIT GOES TO AMAZING DEVELOPER @social-design-concepts Thanks pal :)
=====================================================================
Visit and read this thread by @social-design-concepts Please read carefully once before proceeding. You dont need to download anything from this thread. Download everything from this thread only.

WHAT IS TETHERED CWM?
Remember this is called "TETHERED CWM" method. Tethered means wired. Everytime when you want to use Recovery Mode, you need to use this tool by connecting tablet to pc, which copies recovery files "temporarily" in Tablet Memory and then you can use this temporary Custom CWM Recovery to do the Recovery tasks. When you reboot phone back to normal the CWM is removed from memory and you are back on that useless stock recovery. :D YES, its temporary and everytime you want to use Custom CWM, you need to use this tool. Quiet Annoying but hey, some things in life are bit difficult and you have to stay with it. :p :D

Preparations
==========
1) You must take full backup of your data in phone in sdcard or internal memory. No cry and complain later if you lose data. :p

2) Run Software Update (twice or more times) so you will be on latest Android 4.4.4 and there will be no update shown after that. I did exactly same.

3) Your PC must be installed with ADB and Fastboot Drivers already. You can Download Driver HERE or HERE or find it on Dell / Intel Driver Website.
* Drivers can be easily installed and tool can work on any Windows Version. I did this on Windows 8.1 64 Bit Version without any issues. PIECE OF CAKE. If you have any problem installing then check FAQ section below.

You must connect Phone to PC to test, so windows will finish installing drivers after detection of phone. (recommended)

4) Now on Tablet Open >>> Settings >>> About Tablet >>> Press "Build Number" several times to enable "Developers Options" in Settings. Now go back and again Open >>> Settings >>> Developers Options >>> Enable "Debugging Mode"

5) Download THIS TETHERED CWM/TWRP FLASHING TOOL and copy and extract on any disk in your PC, but not on DESKTOP or C drive. I mean copy and extract anywhere on D or E or F drive onwards but not on C drive, to avoid permission issues of Windows 8.1

6) Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip (3.83 MB) and copy, as it is, on EXTERNAL SDCARD (recommended) or Internal Memory (not recommended). This exact file works for me and everyone. *Do not change it with other versions.

Now you are totally ready to ROOT.

LETS START.....
STEPS OF ROOTING

===================
Step1) Switch on Table/Phone Normally and connect to PC with USB cable. If it is first time, then PC will install ADB Drivers automatically.

Step2) Open folder on your PC where you extracted files of ROOTing Tool. Select "launcher.bat" and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. It will open Command Prompt Box with a Tool Menu as shown below.

Step3) The tool menu will ask you to ACCEPT the terms, where you need to type "ACCEPT" in capital letters and press enter key to proceed

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FxEYR7UC5LiK1mtcTAmpx3234Xhw%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3420668%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438033207

Step4) After ACCEPTing terms, on next menu, type "5" to select "CWM" as Recovery to load.

*Do not select TWRP right now as there could be some confusion later in this guide.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FCLumCLPcd8zhYNZQFF8-LpG07Co%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3425955%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438514737

Step5) Now check that the tool running on command prompt box on PC is reporting as either :

DEVICE STATUS: ADB-ONLINE
DEVICE STATUS: FASTBOOT-ONLINE

*If device status is "Unknown" You may need to carefully start again from beginning.

Now tool will be showing you three TRIGGER options to root. You need to type "T3" and start third trigger.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FUr8k1dEL29kSvC8IFkaSzu9kHQo%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3420669%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438033207

Tablet will immediately boot into "FASTBOOT" mode (DroidBoot mode). If it is first time, then PC will install Fastboot drivers to recognize device and in FASTBOOT mode, tool will copy TETHERED CWM on tablet and will show lots of text flowing on tablet screen and on PC too.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2Fy7Ai9yQSCkfiWFA3faILA4k6aWs%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3421100%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438081270

*Ignore error on last line in above image, its normal.

When done, phone will show you Fastboot menu. Now remove cable from tablet.

Step6) On Fastboot Menu, you need to press volume up or down to select "RECOVERY" option and press <Power> key to start phone in NEW CWM RECOVERY MODE. This time you will see completely different CWM "Vampirefo Venue8 Ver 6.0.3.7" with grey color background and with more working features of CWM.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FbqcnZoP626HQgIzFyqQWNLvEwv4%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3421121%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438082721

Step7) Now select "Install Zip from SDCard" and select and flash "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip" file.

YOU HAVE ROOTED YOUR TABLET DELL VENUE 8 LTE 3840 MERRIFIELD (India Version) or 7840.

Good Luck guys :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-16-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-16-44.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 2,817
  • Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-16-59.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-16-59.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 2,795
  • Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-17-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-17-12.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 2,584
  • Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-17-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-17-22.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 29,230
  • Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-17-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-28-02-17-55.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 28,780
Last edited:

cmahendra

Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai
Frequently Asked Questions
=================================

1) How to install Fastboot/Bootloader/ADB/Android USB drivers,etc in Windows 8/8.1/10?

Answer: Most Important Info: Many pals here get stuck while installing drivers in Win8+(32/64bit), especially FASTBOOT and BOOTLOADER MODE drivers. These drivers are not Digitally signed, hence Windows8/8.1 does not allow them to install as its standard feature. May be they did it for extended security of windows. So NO PROBLEMO!!! In such case, you can DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT feature in simple steps as shown in this video. After these steps when PC starts you will find no difference but then drivers will start installing "obediently" like they did install in XP :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmw86KplqmU

2) WHAT IS TETHERED CWM?

Answer: Remember, this is called "TETHERED CWM" method. Tethered means wired. Everytime when you want to use Recovery Mode, you need to use this tool by connecting tablet to pc, which copies recovery files "temporarily" in Tablet Memory and then you can use this temporary Custom CWM Recovery to do the Recovery tasks. When you reboot phone back to normal the CWM is removed from memory and you are back on that useless stock recovery. :D YES, its temporary and everytime you want to use Custom CWM, you need to use this tool. Quiet Annoying but hey, some things in life are bit difficult and you have to stay with it. :p :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny199314

JPham

Aug 13, 2015
Help with Windows 10

Hi cmahendra,
Thanks for your sharing, I'm facing a problem with installing the ADB drivers on Windows 10. Could you please to look at it.
Have you tried to root the venue 8 3840 on win 10? I'm also DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT as you suggested but the issue seems still there.
Thank you & Regards.

cmahendra

Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai
Hi cmahendra,
Thanks for your sharing, I'm facing a problem with installing the ADB drivers on Windows 10. Could you please to look at it.
Have you tried to root the venue 8 3840 on win 10? I'm also DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT as you suggested but the issue seems still there.
Thank you & Regards.

Thanks @xBIGREDDx I was going to suggest him same. To install latest drivers from Intel Website. Link updated in Opening post.

johndavisjr77

Nov 9, 2015
Thanks!

I just wanted to say a quick thanks for posting this! I tried to root my Dell Venue 8 3840 once before but was unsuccessful. I followed your instructions, and though the steps at the end were just a little different for mine, it worked! I noticed you also mentioned your 3840 was for India, and I wanted to mention that I'm in the United States and it still worked, and I verified root access with Root Checker Basic. That way other people know it should work for their device.

Thanks again! :good:

Reactions: cmahendra

cmahendra

Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai
I just wanted to say a quick thanks for posting this! I tried to root my Dell Venue 8 3840 once before but was unsuccessful. I followed your instructions, and though the steps at the end were just a little different for mine, it worked! I noticed you also mentioned your 3840 was for India, and I wanted to mention that I'm in the United States and it still worked, and I verified root access with Root Checker Basic. That way other people know it should work for their device.

Thanks again! :good:

Sorry for late reply, but thanks for confirming that it worked for US version too. Actually I did not wanted people to blame me for any unexpected issues, therefore I mentioned its tested on Indian Version perfectly. Others can still try it because technically there is no risk at all, even if rooting fails. In fact, I succeeded after many failures with this tool itself.

cmahendra

Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai
Will this method work for dell venue 10 7000 ?
It has the same processor
No idea! But Dell makes unbrickable devices. You can restore to stock rom again so no harm in trying. I am taking risks since last 7/8 years and not a single phone is hard-bricked . Always recovered.

But Do at your own risk because everyone's fighting spirit and knowledge is different :)

tictac02_02

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks for the instructions! I had to do the instructions twice. First so the tablet could get to the droidboot screen so I could install the google inc adb interface drivers. On the second go everything worked as it should. Thanks again!

phucvn93

Feb 23, 2016
No idea! But Dell makes unbrickable devices. You can restore to stock rom again so no harm in trying. I am taking risks since last 7/8 years and not a single phone is hard-bricked . Always recovered.

But Do at your own risk because everyone's fighting spirit and knowledge is different :)

Please help me uncle! i just have a tablet dell 3840 lte and try to root it step by step like the topic but i have stuck at step 4,the status device is unknow,and then i tried again severals time so carefully but it still like that,i also did the step in the youtube video to DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT,i did it on my pc with window 8.1,what can i do now,uncle,please help me,it is too slow :( and forgive me pls if i have any mistake in using english,i'm from vietnam,and thank agians,i'm looking forward to have your help ^^

tictac02_02

Jan 6, 2016
Please help me uncle! i just have a tablet dell 3840 lte and try to root it step by step like the topic but i have stuck at step 4,the status device is unknow,and then i tried again severals time so carefully but it still like that,i also did the step in the youtube video to DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT,i did it on my pc with window 8.1,what can i do now,uncle,please help me,it is too slow :( and forgive me pls if i have any mistake in using english,i'm from vietnam,and thank agians,i'm looking forward to have your help ^^

Did you install adb/fastboot? My pc wouldn't let me download the file from the link for some reason, but there is another thread on xda website on how to install it. It's called 15 sec fastboot/adb install.

Reactions: phucvn93

cmahendra

Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai

I am not sure but there is some difference in 3840 and 3840 LTE. You are adviced to look all threads in this tablet section for more information on rooting and flashing this tablet.

phucvn93

Feb 23, 2016
Did you install adb/fastboot? My pc wouldn't let me download the file from the link for some reason, but there is another thread on xda website on how to install it. It's called 15 sec fastboot/adb install.

yes,i downloaded the zip file from a link in the topic and extract it,is it exactly an adb/fastboot?

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

I am not sure but there is some difference in 3840 and 3840 LTE. You are adviced to look all threads in this tablet section for more information on rooting and flashing this tablet.

yes,i'm looking for some topic to know more but it so hard to find more helpful infor,it seem to be very few user with this tablet :(

tictac02_02

Jan 6, 2016
phucvn93: yes,i downloaded the zip file from a link in the topic and extract it,is it exactly an adb/fastboot?

Yup, it will ask you after downloading the program if you would like to install fastboot, then ask you if you want to install adb drivers. Then I did all the steps in this thread twice. Once to get the tablet to boot in droidboot to install adb drivers and then again for it to run fastboot. I also had to update my tablet drivers and select the adb drivers. I'm sure the steps I took was a lot more work then most maybe. Not sure if what I did will work for you since mine is not a 3840 lte. But would be happy to post the steps I took.

phucvn93

Feb 23, 2016
phucvn93: yes,i downloaded the zip file from a link in the topic and extract it,is it exactly an adb/fastboot?

Yup, it will ask you after downloading the program if you would like to install fastboot, then ask you if you want to install adb drivers. Then I did all the steps in this thread twice. Once to get the tablet to boot in droidboot to install adb drivers and then again for it to run fastboot. I also had to update my tablet drivers and select the adb drivers. I'm sure the steps I took was a lot more work then most maybe. Not sure if what I did will work for you since mine is not a 3840 lte. But would be happy to post the steps I took.
oh may be i'll try adb/fastboot 15sec tonight,do u try it or know other topic,forum that discuss about our problem? pls pm me if you know

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Easiest [GUIDE] for Newbies to
    ROOT Dell Venue 8 Tablet 3840 and 7840
    with Android 4.4.4
    TETHERED CWM METHOD
    ** Disclaimer: This is not my work. I have just consolidated all information and files together into one simple STEP BY STEP GUIDE.
    ** Do at your own Risk. I am not responsible if you mess up your tablet. The method works perfectly on my 3840 and a fb friend 7840 without any issues and should work for everyone.
    ** This may work for some other Intel Chipset devices/tablets too. Inform me if it works for your model
    ** ALL THE CREDIT GOES TO AMAZING DEVELOPER @social-design-concepts Thanks pal :)
    =====================================================================
    Visit and read this thread by @social-design-concepts Please read carefully once before proceeding. You dont need to download anything from this thread. Download everything from this thread only.

WHAT IS TETHERED CWM?
    Remember this is called "TETHERED CWM" method. Tethered means wired. Everytime when you want to use Recovery Mode, you need to use this tool by connecting tablet to pc, which copies recovery files "temporarily" in Tablet Memory and then you can use this temporary Custom CWM Recovery to do the Recovery tasks. When you reboot phone back to normal the CWM is removed from memory and you are back on that useless stock recovery. :D YES, its temporary and everytime you want to use Custom CWM, you need to use this tool. Quiet Annoying but hey, some things in life are bit difficult and you have to stay with it. :p :D

Preparations
    ==========
    1) You must take full backup of your data in phone in sdcard or internal memory. No cry and complain later if you lose data. :p

2) Run Software Update (twice or more times) so you will be on latest Android 4.4.4 and there will be no update shown after that. I did exactly same.

3) Your PC must be installed with ADB and Fastboot Drivers already. You can Download Driver HERE or HERE or find it on Dell / Intel Driver Website.
    * Drivers can be easily installed and tool can work on any Windows Version. I did this on Windows 8.1 64 Bit Version without any issues. PIECE OF CAKE. If you have any problem installing then check FAQ section below.

You must connect Phone to PC to test, so windows will finish installing drivers after detection of phone. (recommended)

4) Now on Tablet Open >>> Settings >>> About Tablet >>> Press "Build Number" several times to enable "Developers Options" in Settings. Now go back and again Open >>> Settings >>> Developers Options >>> Enable "Debugging Mode"

5) Download THIS TETHERED CWM/TWRP FLASHING TOOL and copy and extract on any disk in your PC, but not on DESKTOP or C drive. I mean copy and extract anywhere on D or E or F drive onwards but not on C drive, to avoid permission issues of Windows 8.1

6) Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip (3.83 MB) and copy, as it is, on EXTERNAL SDCARD (recommended) or Internal Memory (not recommended). This exact file works for me and everyone. *Do not change it with other versions.

Now you are totally ready to ROOT.

LETS START.....
    STEPS OF ROOTING

===================
    Step1) Switch on Table/Phone Normally and connect to PC with USB cable. If it is first time, then PC will install ADB Drivers automatically.

Step2) Open folder on your PC where you extracted files of ROOTing Tool. Select "launcher.bat" and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. It will open Command Prompt Box with a Tool Menu as shown below.

Step3) The tool menu will ask you to ACCEPT the terms, where you need to type "ACCEPT" in capital letters and press enter key to proceed

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FxEYR7UC5LiK1mtcTAmpx3234Xhw%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3420668%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438033207

Step4) After ACCEPTing terms, on next menu, type "5" to select "CWM" as Recovery to load.

*Do not select TWRP right now as there could be some confusion later in this guide.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FCLumCLPcd8zhYNZQFF8-LpG07Co%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3425955%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438514737

Step5) Now check that the tool running on command prompt box on PC is reporting as either :

DEVICE STATUS: ADB-ONLINE
    DEVICE STATUS: FASTBOOT-ONLINE

*If device status is "Unknown" You may need to carefully start again from beginning.

Now tool will be showing you three TRIGGER options to root. You need to type "T3" and start third trigger.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FUr8k1dEL29kSvC8IFkaSzu9kHQo%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3420669%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438033207

Tablet will immediately boot into "FASTBOOT" mode (DroidBoot mode). If it is first time, then PC will install Fastboot drivers to recognize device and in FASTBOOT mode, tool will copy TETHERED CWM on tablet and will show lots of text flowing on tablet screen and on PC too.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2Fy7Ai9yQSCkfiWFA3faILA4k6aWs%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3421100%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438081270

*Ignore error on last line in above image, its normal.

When done, phone will show you Fastboot menu. Now remove cable from tablet.

Step6) On Fastboot Menu, you need to press volume up or down to select "RECOVERY" option and press <Power> key to start phone in NEW CWM RECOVERY MODE. This time you will see completely different CWM "Vampirefo Venue8 Ver 6.0.3.7" with grey color background and with more working features of CWM.

https%3A%2F%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FbqcnZoP626HQgIzFyqQWNLvEwv4%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.xda-developers.com%252Fattachment.php%253Fattachmentid%253D3421121%2526stc%253D1%2526d%253D1438082721

Step7) Now select "Install Zip from SDCard" and select and flash "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip" file.

YOU HAVE ROOTED YOUR TABLET DELL VENUE 8 LTE 3840 MERRIFIELD (India Version) or 7840.

Good Luck guys :)
    THANKS

Yeah!i did make it on my tab venue 3840 LTE tonight,i just wanna say thank for all of you guys,great community,great android's environment,i have only problem with my window 8.1 and adb interface driver,so i change to win 7 and download that driver and install it,done it oke,thank you again hi^^
    Frequently Asked Questions
    =================================

1) How to install Fastboot/Bootloader/ADB/Android USB drivers,etc in Windows 8/8.1/10?

Answer: Most Important Info: Many pals here get stuck while installing drivers in Win8+(32/64bit), especially FASTBOOT and BOOTLOADER MODE drivers. These drivers are not Digitally signed, hence Windows8/8.1 does not allow them to install as its standard feature. May be they did it for extended security of windows. So NO PROBLEMO!!! In such case, you can DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMENT feature in simple steps as shown in this video. After these steps when PC starts you will find no difference but then drivers will start installing "obediently" like they did install in XP :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmw86KplqmU

2) WHAT IS TETHERED CWM?

Answer: Remember, this is called "TETHERED CWM" method. Tethered means wired. Everytime when you want to use Recovery Mode, you need to use this tool by connecting tablet to pc, which copies recovery files "temporarily" in Tablet Memory and then you can use this temporary Custom CWM Recovery to do the Recovery tasks. When you reboot phone back to normal the CWM is removed from memory and you are back on that useless stock recovery. :D YES, its temporary and everytime you want to use Custom CWM, you need to use this tool. Quiet Annoying but hey, some things in life are bit difficult and you have to stay with it. :p :D
    Post reserved for more Screenshots.
    The other options were to reboot to fastboot, recovery and I think system reboot. I don't remember exactly because I'm not in from of the tablet right now, but none of the options had anything to do with getting the rooting process going. According to the tutorial, we are supposed to be seeing bunch of code scrolling bit nothing happens on mine, just idols and waiting forever. Thank you for trying to help.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I set echo to on inside batch files .. and here it waits forever on pc (and on tablet it is on that last two lines .. fastboot cmd waiting).
    ==
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>if /I ADB-ONLINE == ADB-ONLINE (GOTO:REBOOT2FASTBOOT)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"C:\Users\xx\Downloads\INTELA~1\RESOUR~1\platform-tools_aosp\adb" reboot-bootloader & "C:\Users\xx\Downloads\INTELA~1\RESOUR~1\platform-tools_aosp\fastboot" getvar all & GOTO:TETHERED_TOOL
    < waiting for device >
    ==

So, it seems fastboot for some reason is not recognizing the device after tablet enters into droidboat mode.

hoping for cmahendra to give tip to copy cwm.zip and it's launcher etc somehow... meanwhile continuing research.