Easy Root for Android 7.0 Nougat

Search This thread

chris.k00

Feb 23, 2016
Hey dudes,
Is there a possibility to root a Nexus 5X with Dev Preview 5 easily? I wouldn't experiment much on my Nexus 5X and want to have a quite easy way to root the Device.
Thanks!
- Chris K.

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
If your drive is encrypted you cannot root without losing all your data. You will have to save your data and files for restoration after rooting.
Wrong. See the post above yours.

Also flashing an old vendor image makes TWRP work even if the phone is encrypted. So one could flash TWRP, an old vendor image, SuperSU, then the correct vendor image.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
Wouldn´t CF_Autoroot wipe \data?
Im asking, because I don´t want to test it, since my last backup is from before Preview 3 and I dont want to loose my data
No, it does not. But you should back up your data anyway.

Edit: are you encrypted? It may wipe your data. You may want to do the other method I described.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Im asking, because I don´t want to test it, since my last backup is from before Preview 3 and I dont want to loose my data
You may want to use the other method I described. It will fit sure not wipe your data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argeddion

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
For sh!ts and giggles I unrooted (by flashing dp5 with the -w flag removed) then rerooted with CF-Autoroot and it didnt wipe /data. Just thought Id post this for anyone else that may have the same question.

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
Can you install custom kernels without a custom recovery?
Some yes. Download the kernel zip you want to install and unzip it. If it contains the boot.img then flash that with fastboot.

Though now that twrp works with encrypted phones on N there isn't a good reason not to use it.

Reactions: Smultie

Smultie

Apr 13, 2006
Some yes. Download the kernel zip you want to install and unzip it. If it contains the boot.img then flash that with fastboot.

Though now that twrp works with encrypted phones on N there isn't a good reason not to use it.

TWRP (from their website) works normally on encrypted N? Cool!

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
I tried -1 on my encrypted phone, two issues:

1) TWRP doesn't stick. It will revert to stock recovery after 1-2 restarts.
2) Flashing SU doesn't work. Get's an error due to the encryption.
Did you allow twrp to make modifications to the system (prompt at first boot into recovery)? Is your system set to require a pin/password/pattern at boot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, it does not. But you should back up your data anyway.

Edit: are you encrypted? It may wipe your data. You may want to do the other method I described.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

You may want to use the other method I described. It will fit sure not wipe your data.

Can you install custom kernels without a custom recovery?

TWRP (from their website) works normally on encrypted N? Cool!
    Yes, the version released today.

https://dl.twrp.me/bullhead/

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone