Easy Root for Android 7.0 Nougat

Search This thread

pkadavid

May 12, 2011
Austin, TX
First u need to use CFAUTO-ROOT to root

Then u need to install flashify

Then flash the twrp.img using flashify...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using XDA-Developers mobile app

Turns out that's not needed. Looks like something was messed up after I upgraded from 6.0.1 to 7 yesterday using the beta program. A factory reset solved it.
1. factory reset (stock, encrypted)
2. install twrp -1
3. install su 2.76

EDIT: installation of twrp was via fastboot.

Last edited:

dog121

Oct 24, 2011
london
Turns out that's not needed. Looks like something was messed up after I upgraded from 6.0.1 to 7 yesterday using the beta program. A factory reset solved it.
1. factory reset (stock, encrypted)
2. install twrp -1
3. install su 2.76
Sorted i did it.the other way round got the update yesterday did a full wipe/factory reset then CFAUTO-ROOT.. then the new twrp today

Lots of people saying CFAUTO-ROOT will wipe ur.data.but It doesn't I prefer using it as I don't really need twrp as flashify and flash fire do everything I needed without having to.keep booting into.recovery. every time I need to flash something..

pkadavid

May 12, 2011
Austin, TX
Sorted i did it.the other way round got the update yesterday did a full wipe/factory reset then CFAUTO-ROOT.. then the new twrp today

Lots of people saying CFAUTO-ROOT will wipe ur.data.but It doesn't I prefer using it as I don't really need twrp as flashify and flash fire do everything I needed without having to.keep booting into.recovery. every time I need to flash something..

Good to know. I didn't want to use CFAUTO because I'm not familiar with it and read conflicting reports on wiping data.

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
Wrong. See the post above yours.

Also flashing an old vendor image makes TWRP work even if the phone is encrypted. So one could flash TWRP, an old vendor image, SuperSU, then the correct vendor image.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks. It is because of the new version of TWRP which allows decryption. Earlier it was not possible to run TWRP if the drive was encrypted.

ovu85

Sep 22, 2011
Hi, i'm on stock N and lock bootloader, wiping data won't affect me so much, i just need to know if installing twrp and cf auto root will work on my N nexus 5x.thanks!

supaet

Jun 29, 2007
from reading the thread, does root require an unlocked bootloader? I'm pretty sure unlocking the bootloader will wipe the data.
I'm on 7.1 beta encrypted/stock, I only want to root, is there any way to root without unlocking bootloader? I don't care about having twrp
I remember reading somewhere about using fastboot to tether boot twrp without installing it and then installing supersu, any more detail on that or other methods to root without unlocking bootloader?

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wouldn´t CF_Autoroot wipe \data?
    Im asking, because I don´t want to test it, since my last backup is from before Preview 3 and I dont want to loose my data
    No, it does not. But you should back up your data anyway.

Edit: are you encrypted? It may wipe your data. You may want to do the other method I described.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Wouldn´t CF_Autoroot wipe \data?
    Im asking, because I don´t want to test it, since my last backup is from before Preview 3 and I dont want to loose my data
    You may want to use the other method I described. It will fit sure not wipe your data.

Can you install custom kernels without a custom recovery?
    Some yes. Download the kernel zip you want to install and unzip it. If it contains the boot.img then flash that with fastboot.

Though now that twrp works with encrypted phones on N there isn't a good reason not to use it.

TWRP (from their website) works normally on encrypted N? Cool!
    Yes, the version released today.

https://dl.twrp.me/bullhead/

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone