• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

(EASY ROOT) Z982 via QFIL or TWRP B20_Modified SYSRW 4/8/19

Search This thread

guero.lurias

Dec 27, 2018
Mesa
hi thanks for thread, also all of the links dont work, not able to download b20 file?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

is it possible to get an updated link to the b20 file please

Emilson

Jun 6, 2012
Nyc

Emilson

Jun 6, 2012
Nyc
Because the main links ''B20 Via QFIL '' or ''B20 Via TWRP'' don't work anymore, I had to find an alternative way, manually looking for the files.
Couldnt find mirror links so this video Z982 ROOT gave me an idea to try flash it thru XTM_Inferno UniTool v1.5.7 by Gsm4Crack.

Files i used:
-''Inferno UniTool v1.5.7'' - software used to flash my z982.

- ZTE Z982 MPCS B25 Stock Rom - @ deadman96385 full stock rom with a rawprogram file "rawprogram0.xml" needed in UniTool flash process.

-Unitool ''boot file'' - file ''prog_emmc_firehose_8937.mbn' by @deadman96385 needed in flash process with UniTool.
(File is named as ''f.mbn'' if you follow the 'Z982 ROOT' video, I wasn't sure where to get this file but i figured out that this file i used is the same size as the one in the video (408kb) and luckily it worked.)

-boot(1).img - @neil.zap modified boot.img from this thread that let me root phone with magisk.
File should be renamed to 'boot.img' and placed in stock rom folder [replacing original file] to flash by UniTool. (i guess that modified ''boot(1).img'' file was for B20 build roms, but it worked on B25 somehow anyway).

-MagiskManager-v8.0.7.apk - app used to root my Z982 phone (optional, install it if that app wont appear after flash).

-''ZTE_Z981_Zmax_Pro _edl'' @ Loonycgb2 z981 edl tool used only to get edl mode "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008'' port in Z982 needed to start flashing process by UniTool.
You can also use ADB if you have it with command: 'adb reboot edl' instead of using ''ZTE_Zmax_Pro_edl.bat' file from edl tool.

To ROOT your Z982 just try to follow the ''Z982 ROOT'' video using attached files from this thread.
This Process matches for me only with flashing a 'boot partition' / ''boot.img'',

Flashing 'recovery partition' with an TWRP recovery file that i found ''TWRP Z982 -030918 by ysh.alsager" or ''Z982 TWRP -300618 by Surendrajat'' is causing a black screen instead of booting to twrp recovery in my case, so i had to reflash it with stock recovery again, maybe its because build version i dont know.

My Z982 build number: Z982_MPCSV1.0.0B25

I hope it is understandable and it help someone, I spent half a day getting to it 🥱😑

Last edited:

tryptan

May 28, 2019
Because the main links ''B20 Via QFIL '' or ''B20 Via TWRP'' don't work anymore, I had to find an alternative way, manually looking for the files.
Couldnt find mirror links so this video Z982 ROOT gave me an idea to try flash it thru XTM_Inferno UniTool v1.5.7 by Gsm4Crack.

Files i used:

- ZTE Z982 MPCS B25 Stock Rom - @ deadman96385 full stock rom with a rawprogram file "rawprogram0.xml" needed in UniTool flash process.

-Unitool ''boot file'' - file ''prog_emmc_firehose_8937.mbn' by @deadman96385 needed in flash process with UniTool.
(File is named as ''f.mbn'' if you follow the 'Z982 ROOT' video, I wasn't sure where to get this file but i figured out that this file i used is the same size as the one in the video (408kb) and luckily it worked.)

-boot(1).img - @neil.zap modified boot.img from this thread that let me root phone with magisk.
File should be renamed to 'boot.img' and placed in stock rom folder [replacing original file] to flash by UniTool. (i guess that modified ''boot(1).img'' file was for B20 build roms, but it worked on B25 somehow anyway).

-MagiskManager-v8.0.7.apk - app used to root my Z982 phone (optional, install it if that app wont appear after flash).

-''ZTE_Z981_Zmax_Pro _edl'' @ Loonycgb2 z981 edl tool used only to get edl mode "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008'' port in Z982 needed to start flashing process by UniTool.
You can also use ADB if you have it with command: 'adb reboot edl' instead of using ''ZTE_Zmax_Pro_edl.bat' file from edl tool.

To ROOT your Z982 just try to follow the ''Z982 ROOT'' video using attached files from this thread.
This Process matches for me only with flashing a 'boot partition' / ''boot.img'',

Flashing 'recovery partition' with an TWRP recovery file that i found ''TWRP Z982 -030918 by ysh.alsager" or ''Z982 TWRP -300618 by Surendrajat'' is causing a black screen instead of booting to twrp recovery in my case, so i had to reflash it with stock recovery again, maybe its because build version i dont know.

I hope it is understandable and it help someone, I spent half a day getting to it 🥱😑
I tried this method with both the B25 and B20 roms, unfortunately i just get stuck at boot screen and then need to "adb sideload" the original stock update.zip to get it working again. But i cannot get root or any of these methods to work on Z982 MetroPCS 7.1.1 - not sure why. I couldn't get UniTool to work either, so I had to use QDL to flash both the b20 and b25. They all flashed successfully, but got soft-bricked every time. I even replaced the boot.img file like you said so I'm not sure why I can't replicate your results

KurwaPhone

Jun 16, 2021
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto Z2 Force
You know I havnt used this phone in over a year. Perhaps the latest firmware isnt compatible with the old root. If one is privy to using emmcdl.exe one can just flash the old firmware onto their device. This is the end of my support for this device.
How difficult is it to update a link..that's all anyone is asking for... It would take you 30 seconds ... If you're not gonna do that just delete this entire thread smh

KurwaPhone

Jun 16, 2021
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto Z2 Force
Somehow I had a backup? No idea how considering I've formatted this sd card multiple times but alas, the day is saved , files are here https://androidfilehost.com/?w=profile&uid=10763459528675587600 just ignore the nethunter kernel , that's for a different phone, and this is how I got it working

1.download/open QFIL and go to flat build and select the programmer (firehose file, make sure you unzip it first) and load it

2. Get into EDL , use adb reboot edl, axon 7 tool , whatever just get there and immediately (FAST) after entering edl you need to select the Qualcomm port up top if it isn't already then click tools then partition manager

3. If it doesn't work reboot to edl and try again. It's a pain sometimes but this should bring up your entire partition table, don't be willy nilly clicking around in here, find recovery and right click it and then click manage partition then load image and put the recovery you downloaded and then do the same with boot , then reboot and everything should be working

If you have any issues just remember you can always use QFIL to flash the stock boot and recovery Imgs also and could then use recovery to flash the stock update.zip if you need to start with a clean slate but otherwise you should be good to go

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have here, two packages.

The twrp one is meant for those who have already flashed twrp, the other is for first time root via EDL.

Both flash System RW, updated TWRP and magisk.

:D:D:D:D TWRP package will not wipe Data, You will loose no data :D:D:D:D

NOTE - You may have to mount the system RW.
    NOTE - The above will be fixed via a future custom rom.

Without further ado, here are the instructions.

Initial Root Instructions

Prep: You must have a Pin screen lock set on your device to prevent data loss.

On your phone go to
    Settings>Security>Screen Lock>PIN
    and set a pin.

USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking have to be enabled to make this work.

On Your phone go to
    Setting>About phone
    Then tap on build number 10 time to unlock Developer Settings
    Now go to
    Settings>Developer Options
    Then toggle usb debugging and oem unlocking.

1. Download this package B20 Via QFIL
    2. Unzip the file to your desktop.
    3. Right click on RunasAdmin_TestSignON.bat and run as administrator.
    4. Let your machine reboot.
    5. Run Run This.bat
    6. Install everything it tells you to install.
    NOTE Select WWAN-DHCP when asked
    7. RTFM and flash (All the files your need for qfil are in the B20 Folder!!!!)
    8. Profit

Then
    9.Press and hold Vol+ and Power
    10.Once the ZTE screen shows, let go of power while continuing to hold vol+

This will get you into twrp

11.Plug you phone into your computer and from your adb directory, run these commands.

12.adb shell
    13.setenforce 0
    14.exit

Now on your phone, in twrp
    15.Swipe to allow midification
    16.Tap Backup
    17.check data
    18.tap select storage
    19.Select microsdcard
    20.tap ok
    21.Swipe to backup
    22.Tap home
    23.Tap wipe
    24.Tap Format Data
    25.Enter yes and tap the blue checkmark
    26.Tap home
    27.Tap Power off

28.Turn your phone on.

For those who have TWRP already on their device, follow these instructions.

1. Download this package. B20 via TWRP
    2. Extract it to your desktop
    3. Run "Flash full B25.bat"
    4. Profit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update 5/253/19

Updated boot.img z982_boot_magisk.img
    Update Magisk root "Already obsolete"
    Fixes ADB not authorized issues

Update twrp recovery.img z982_recovery_twrp.img
    Fixes selinux enforcing related issues related to /data folder
    Fixes backup related issues
    Fixes zip install related issues
    I'm guessing once a custom rom is available, the whole system RW situation will be situated. Is there an advantage of root explorer over es explorer?

Lol, actually you can put init.d scripts in /sbin/.magisk/img/.core/service.d/ and they will do it on boot.

Try my attachment.

I
    I dont have a whole lot of time today. But getting into DFU is what needs to be focused on. That way, when we use a tool which I can upload tomorrow, or if so eone esle wants to, to properly switch it into edl mode.

-edit-

Here is the tool and guide
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/salesmultidla2017-tool-to-unblick-dfu-t3854229

I think the phone boots itself into a corrupted edl mode.

With this tool, it loads a working edl mode.

Get the phone into dfu. Use the tool to push it into a working edl mode and immediatly after flash using qpst.

Lemme kniw if it works.
    B25

Hello sir,
    My phone is running B25. Will this cause issues? Do I need to downgrade?

Files i used: