easy way into Verizon's hidden menu ( updated with flashable zip new instructions )

Search This thread

Robshr

Oct 8, 2012
Allentown
I take no credit for this but I figured I'd share it credit goes to @xdabbeb from this thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2467302 and credit goes to @markfm for the shortcut.
But I do take the credit in packaging it into a flashable zip
First download the hidden menu apk from xdabbeb's thread from above and using root browser or a similar app manually paste it into system/app and set the permissions to rw-r-r
The using root browser create a file and name it hiddenmenu and put this command in the file by typing in the following-
am start -a android.intent.action.Main -n com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu
Hit save them put the file you just created in /system/bin and set the permissions to rwxr-xr-x and save
Then all you have to do is launch terminal emulator and type in the following
su and hit enter
hiddenmenu and hit enter
That's it hidden menu will then launch
Then back in terminal emulator exit out

Here you go I made it even easier with a flashable zip ( please read and follow the instructions)
Just flash the zip
Reboot ( the next step depends on the ROM and kernel some you don't have to do the next step and some you do if you get the error code when trying to enter the hidden menu then do the next step otherwise you're good)
Using root browser or similar app go into system/app and find the hiddenmenu.apk and click on it and click install
In terminal emulator type "su" then type "hiddenmenu" without the quotes of course and you're in
Here's the zip- https://mega.co.nz/#!bpJ0DDbA!pSDJcaHFnXulkGyA2s-cIQldTrLbv-FVspD2RzW97Ts

To get back the knock on feature if you've lost it once your in the hidden menu click on HW Device Test then click on Touch Test and in there near the bottom you'll see Touch Firmware Upgrade click that and then click OK wait about 15 seconds and you're set
please remember to hit thanks if you like my work

Last edited:

Robshr

Oct 8, 2012
Allentown
what does this hidden menu allow us to do?

Well there are a lot of things you can do with it but in the same sense you can mess your phone up bad if you don't know what your doing the most common use is to update your touch firmware if you happen to lose you knock on feature by flashing a custom kernel

Reactions: bigcat777

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
Well there are a lot of things you can do with it but in the same sense you can mess your phone up bad if you don't know what your doing the most common use is to update your touch firmware if you happen to lose you knock on feature by flashing a custom kernel

Is this for stock only or can we use it for AOSP?

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
Yes it should work on an asop ROM as long as it's a Verizon ROM

OK cool, im hoping to find something to disable that stupid knock-on feature. Im running C-Rom 7.1 btw

I pasted the .apk into system app and change permissions. But im having trouble with how to create the file in root browser.

When I enter root browser I select "+new" at the bottom. I then select "create file" in which case I input that long command and when I press done I get "Operation Failed"

Am I doing this correctly?

Robshr

Oct 8, 2012
Allentown
OK cool, im hoping to find something to disable that stupid knock-on feature. Im running C-Rom 7.1 btw

I pasted the .apk into system app and change permissions. But im having trouble with how to create the file in root browser.

When I enter root browser I select "+new" at the bottom. I then select "create file" in which case I input that long command and when I press done I get "Operation Failed"

Am I doing this correctly?

Yes it sounds like you doing right in root browser click create new. Then file then rename the file to hidden menu then close root browser and open the that file with a text editor and input the command and click save then follow the rest of the directions you should be good and by the way there is a way in there to disable the knock feature I don't remember off hand what section it's under but it's there

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
Yes it sounds like you doing right in root browser click create new. Then file then rename the file to hidden menu then close root browser and open the that file with a text editor and input the command and click save then follow the rest of the directions you should be good and by the way there is a way in there to disable the knock feature I don't remember off hand what section it's under but it's there
Still getting operation failed

When I select new file it asks "Please enter the name"

No matter what I input, I keep getting operation failed. I tried hiddenfile, hidden file, HiddenFile, HiddenFile.apk, new file, newfile, ect

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

It's the first option under gestures in settings
Im aware of that option on Stock ROMs, but its not available on Aosp ROM's, or at least my current one C-Rom.

Robshr

Oct 8, 2012
Allentown
Still getting operation failed

When I select new file it asks "Please enter the name"

No matter what I input, I keep getting operation failed. I tried hiddenfile, hidden file, HiddenFile, HiddenFile.apk, new file, newfile, ect

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Im aware of that option on Stock ROMs, but its not available on Aosp ROM's, or at least my current one C-Rom.

You have to make the file on your sdcard say in downloads then it will work if you try any where on the system part you'll get that message

jaben2

Oct 27, 2010
There isnt a gestures option under settings in Aosp
No there isn't, but some aosp Roms can disable knock on. For instance vanir has the option under settings-display and lights-knock on/off.
Worth a try but I know I've seen it in others as well, but I haven't ran c-rom in a while

kwdan

May 1, 2011
Redford mi
First download the hidden menu apk from xdabbeb's thread from above and using root browser or a similar app manually paste it into system/app and set the permissions to rw-r-r
The using root browser create a file and put this command in the file by typing in the following-
am start -a android.intent.action.Main -n com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu
Hit save them put the file you just created in /system/bin and set the permissions to rwxr-xr-x and save
su and hit enter
hiddenmenu and hit enter

What do I rename the file when I put it in /system/bin?

Robshr

Oct 8, 2012
Allentown
what did i do wrong?

"My PC" adb shell
[email protected]:/ $ su
[email protected]:/ # hiddenmenu
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.Main cmp=com.lge.hiddenmenu/.HiddenMenu }
Error type 3
Error: Activity class {com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu} does not exist.
[email protected]:/ #

Download and use terminal emulator from the play store and from there type
su
hiddenmenu
And it looks like you have an error in the command line you typed in double check it it looks like you have a period after the last forward slash that shouldn't be there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I take no credit for this but I figured I'd share it credit goes to @xdabbeb from this thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2467302 and credit goes to @markfm for the shortcut.
    But I do take the credit in packaging it into a flashable zip
    The using root browser create a file and name it hiddenmenu and put this command in the file by typing in the following-
    su and hit enter
    hiddenmenu and hit enter

Here you go I made it even easier with a flashable zip ( please read and follow the instructions)
    Just flash the zip
    Reboot ( the next step depends on the ROM and kernel some you don't have to do the next step and some you do if you get the error code when trying to enter the hidden menu then do the next step otherwise you're good)
    Using root browser or similar app go into system/app and find the hiddenmenu.apk and click on it and click install
    In terminal emulator type "su" then type "hiddenmenu" without the quotes of course and you're in
    Here's the zip- https://mega.co.nz/#!bpJ0DDbA!pSDJcaHFnXulkGyA2s-cIQldTrLbv-FVspD2RzW97Ts

To get back the knock on feature if you've lost it once your in the hidden menu click on HW Device Test then click on Touch Test and in there near the bottom you'll see Touch Firmware Upgrade click that and then click OK wait about 15 seconds and you're set
    please remember to hit thanks if you like my work
    I updated the op with a flashable zip to make it all even easier
    @Robshr, quick question: success in getting into Hidden Menu, no problem. But I don't have a "Update Firmware" option. Which option do I use to get knock on working again? Thanks for any and all help!!

Within the menu: HW Device Test > Touch Test > Touch Firmware Upgrade
    what does this hidden menu allow us to do?

I have been having errors on my g2, I'm trying to update to lollipop but when it trys to update there an error 00 something? Do I need to unroot the phone first to update to lollipop

Yes you can't do an ota update while rooted with a custom recovery either unroot and update then reroot or find a custom lollipop ROM to flash
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone