Ebay “Tilted” Qi Charger Review!! ***PLEASE read the OP first before questions***

Search This thread

dhjean

Aug 30, 2010
Hampton Roads, VA
I just bought one of these from an Amazon seller located in the US. It arrived in three days.

I can't seem to find any plastic film on the white ring. How hard is the film to remove? I'm wondering if I received one without any plastic. It does seem fairly sticky, I think.

Anyone else receive one with no plastic film on the ring or the feet?

sn1per420

Jul 19, 2010
I just bought one of these from an Amazon seller located in the US. It arrived in three days.

I can't seem to find any plastic film on the white ring. How hard is the film to remove? I'm wondering if I received one without any plastic. It does seem fairly sticky, I think.

Anyone else receive one with no plastic film on the ring or the feet?

I bought from aokdis on Amazon (the cheapest seller but slow shipping) and mine also came without the plastic over the sticky ring. As long as it holds my phone in place, I'm fine with it.

flavoie

Mar 5, 2014
My bad experience from the ebay.ca seller up-memory88 (eBay Canada but seller based in China)
Bought from up-memory88 from ebay.ca (black version in first post). Never received the tilted Qi charger, and never received the 2nd item they presumably sent to replace the first one I never received.
Ordered July 11th, started interacting the seller Aug 19th, they say they sent another item on Sept 11th, and today on Nov 1st i'm pretty sure i'll never see the item show up at my door.
The seller has been polite and responsive, but maybe that was only to get me past the 45-day limit to leave negative feedback.

Reactions: f0olyc0oly

gigel87

Feb 18, 2012
Bucharest
My bad experience from the ebay.ca seller up-memory88 (eBay Canada but seller based in China)
Bought from up-memory88 from ebay.ca (black version in first post). Never received the tilted Qi charger, and never received the 2nd item they presumably sent to replace the first one I never received.
Ordered July 11th, started interacting the seller Aug 19th, they say they sent another item on Sept 11th, and today on Nov 1st i'm pretty sure i'll never see the item show up at my door.
The seller has been polite and responsive, but maybe that was only to get me past the 45-day limit to leave negative feedback.

Same here !!! Same seller !!! :laugh:

parker09

Apr 27, 2010
eparker.me

Same with me.

Thought the POS was being nice but obviously trying to drag out the 45 day limit.

flavoie

Mar 5, 2014
so i read your post about up-memory88 and decided not to order from that seller.

saw this from ebay, anybody bought from him?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless...=100011&prg=11353&rk=5&rkt=10&sd=271329239542

I decided to look for the best eBay rating possible for my reorder since i still haven't received the item. from up-memory88.
I found a seller with 99.7% feedback with 51xxx items sold so hopefully I'll have better luck this time. That compares with 98.3% with 54xxx items sold for up-memory88.

f0olyc0oly

Dec 18, 2013
I decided to look for the best eBay rating possible for my reorder since i still haven't received the item. from up-memory88.
I found a seller with 99.7% feedback with 51xxx items sold so hopefully I'll have better luck this time. That compares with 98.3% with 54xxx items sold for up-memory88.

hopefully, you got your package this time.

Johnabis

May 19, 2011
for some reason while trying to charge my nexus 6, the light will blink fast from red to green back and forth, anyone have any idea what this teams? using a samsung 2a charger that came with my note 3. cable is from monoprice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **EDIT: If you're looking for a good way to power these Qi chargers without having to worry about finding a good USB cable, or a good AC adapter, see my Folding Blade Charger thread here: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/accessories/hands-best-fastest-nexus-5-charger-t2729066

Disclaimer: Remember, these are just my results! I can't guarantee that this charger will perform the same for you.

So the tilted Qi charger finally arrived in the mail. I ordered it on Dec. 26th (a second one on the 28th). This is the link if anyone is interested in it.

$14.83 with free shipping!

(If you want any other Countries/Regions let me know. I will try to find it for you :))

Canada:
    Black Charger - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-A-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/271329239542?hash=item3f2c7ba1f6
    White Charger - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-B-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/271329239508?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item3f2c7ba1d4

US:
    Black Charger - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-A-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/271329239542?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item3f2c7ba1f6
    White Charger - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-B-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/271329239508?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item3f2c7ba1d4

UK: (Same charger, different seller, as the one I used doesn't seem to operate in the UK)
    Black Charger - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-A-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/190998427380?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item2c7864b6f4
    White Charger - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-B-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/291035151232?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item43c30bfb80

Germany:
    Black Charger - http://www.ebay.de/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-A-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/271329239542?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item3f2c7ba1f6
    White Charger - http://www.ebay.de/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charge-Pad-B-for-Nexus4-5-HTC-8X-Lumia920-820-Note2-3-S3-4-/271329239508?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item3f2c7ba1d4

fRW0bPh.jpg
    HJ95dvT.jpg

Performance

To see the improvement a GOOD USB cable can make, I made a video demonstrating the difference in charge speed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49509790&postcount=52

The first thing you need to do before you even use it, is replace the USB cable with one that supports faster charging speeds. The included cable does work, but it topped out at around a 600mA charge rate while connected to a 2A USB wall adapter. I'm currently waiting on a bunch of Monoprice Premium USB cables to arrive so I can replace all of my cables. Until then, I'm using my Motorola Ecomoto cable (from the Atrix days) with this charger. It is probably one of the best USB cables out there (unlike the phone....) and it let the charger go full speed which put it at close to 800mA. That number surprised me, because it means the efficiency of this charger is quite high! Above 75%! That is really good!! My 3 other Qi chargers, top out at 751mA, 722mA, and 745mA.

That may not seem like too much of a variance between them all, but Qi chargers are generally rated at ~70% - 75% efficiency, which my other 3 chargers fall within. So far, this one has outperformed them all. A 1A output Qi charger at higher than 75% efficiency.

So far so good for a $14.83 generic ebay Qi charger!

Build Quality
    The charger is well built. While it is light, it has a little bit of weight to it (doesn't feel like a feather). There is a vent/grill on the bottom, as well as 4 non slip sticker pads to prevent the charger from sliding around. Each foot pad had a little plastic cover over it that you need to peel off before using. There is also a non slip ring pad on the top of the charger (white ring) that also has a plastic cover you need to peel off before use. (Edit: Some people have suggested peeling off the white ring, repositioning it, and reapplying so that the phone sticks even better). The top and bottom pads are NOT sticky. They are a very grippy rubbery material. While it is thin, it holds very well.

I used my Quicksand Cases, Semi Transparent Cases, Candy Color Cases, the Ringke Slim, and Naked/Caseless and the phone did not slide off at all. It's not sticky, but it will hold your phone in any case (that I have anyway) with no problems. I was concerned the Quicksand case may not stay in place because it is not a smooth material, but it stayed in place just fine. It had no problems charging through all of my cases as well, with no loss of speed.

There are 2 LEDs on the front, 1 red, 1 green. Red alone = unit is powered, Red + Green = phone connected/charging. There is no speaker in the unit (if you are a person who likes that) so there is no beep from the charger when the phone is placed on it. The Nexus 5 still makes the connection sound though.

The charger did not get hot throughout the whole charging cycle. It got a tiny bit warmer, but that was it. The phone as well, did not get hot while charging, a little warmer only. But playing any game on the phone for more than 10 minutes will be hotter than this was. So no issues there.

The unit itself looks very nice, and as you will see in the pictures below, is SMALLER than I had thought it to be. When the phone is connected to the charger, you can't see the charger under/behind it. When it arrived in the mail (in a simple yellow bubble pack envelope) I had originally thought it was some of my 2A adapters I had ordered.

The only down side to this charger, was the USB cable it shipped with. It will get the job done, but if you want full speed, use a better cable with some 2A adapters.

Pictures
    Profile and angle:
    BjSNTVS.jpg
    FssjsKX.jpg

You can see that the phone had no problem staying in place. Even using the Quicksand case which I thought wouldn't stick at all, had no problem.

Straight on:
    UxzokWl.jpg
    mzLsoNZ.jpg

You can see here how small the unit is, when the phone is on it, you can't even see it. It's taller and more angled than the Nexus 5 charger, but smaller than you may think. I quite like it, it's very unassuming and would blend nicely on a desk next to a pencil holder or something. :)

Size comparisons:
    UBjv3iv.jpg
    YEvNiYd.jpg

tvkmdCX.jpg
    tU6dxkq.jpg

There ya go! You can see how small this thing is in comparison to a couple of my other chargers. Yes, the rectangular ones are different from each other. The one without the LED is probably the one with the lowest build quality. Comparing it to a standard credit card type card, as well, you can see it's pretty small.

Holding ability:
    3IyI6Qi.jpg
    wpbycfs.jpg

Just to show you how well this thing holds the phone. Here are a couple of random angles. The second one I just did for extreme demonstration purposes (it didn't charge this way because the coils were nowhere near each other) but you can see even with awkward angles and uneven weight distribution the phone wasn't going anywhere!!

Conclusion/Is it worth it??

So, is this a good buy?

I would put this strictly in the YES category. It looks nice, is VERY cheap, is built quite well, and for my unit anyway, is the FASTEST Qi charger I've got! If you're in the market for a cheap, fast, quality, angled Qi charger, this guy will serve you well.

Pros:
    Cost - Great bang for the buck at $14.83 shipped
    Build Quality - It's solid and doesn't feel cheap
    Looks - Looks good to me :) that's up to you really
    Performance - This guy is quick, Energizer bunny quick!
    Misc - With or without a case, no problems holding the phone or charging at full speed

Cons:
    Included USB Cable - Will get the job done, but not at top speed. It's the ol' Ball and Chain... Use a better one if you can!
    How strong are those 2 leds? Are they very visible in the dark?

They are pretty bright. Not blinding, but yes easily visible in the dark. You can see it on in a well lit room as well.

If you were going to put it next to your bed or something at night, and if light bothers you, you may want to put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

There is also a hint of light that escapes under the charger through the vent/grill so you could still see that the charger is working if you taped over the LEDs. The light is softer and not direct, so it should be fine on a night stand as it is projected downward.

No tape:
    7s7PTr8.jpg

Electrical tape over LEDs:
    IbTU9Et.jpg

Same with me.

Thought the POS was being nice but obviously trying to drag out the 45 day limit.
    Hi Bacon, great review. How does the unit behave when the phone is fully charged?

In some of the reviews of other chargers I read that some stop charging at 100% in the middle of the night so the battery is partially drained when you wake up, or some reconnect and either the phone or unit beep when the start charging again. Does it trickle charge?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah good point. I'm also curious about this.

As lifeisfun mentioned, any Qi charger that does not have an internal speaker (almost all don't, except the puck shaped one from the ones I've seen reviewed) won't make a beep sound when you connect the phone. This one does not have a speaker inside so no beep. The phone itself will still make it's connection sound though (unless it's on silent).

This charger has kept the phone at 100% after charging the phone. No beeps, no disconnects and reconnects. It keeps it connected and topped up.

I have not had any experience with any of my Qi chargers where the charger stops charging after reaching 100% and allows a device to drain. All of them, regardless of style/design perform in the same way.

*EDIT: I kept CurrentWidget on the screen updating at 1 second intervals to see the power drain when the phone is at 100% charge (and still sitting on the charger). CurrentWidget is saying 0mA. That means the charger is keeping the phone at 100% as the phone is idling (or in my case, the screen on so I can read the widget). 0mA means there is no discharge, and no charge.

*EDIT 2: I should rephrase that. 0mA doesn't mean no discharge and no charge, It means the charger is not allowing the phone to discharge. So it is charging the exact amount needed to keep it at 100%, which is why CurrentWidget reports 0mA.
    Hi BACON, I'm desperate, I can't find a seller that ships this charger to Italy...is that any chance to find it? Can you help me somehow?
    This one from Aliexpress should ship to Italy:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qi-S...-S4-Note2-3-I9300-HTC-Nexus-4/1526118220.html