• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Eclipse Rom questions

Search This thread

stanleyj42

Jul 25, 2011
I would post this under the eclipse section but in development but i dont have rights yet.

Is it okay to install a different launcher, email, calendar etc apps on ROMS like this. I hate to do that and destroy the whole idea behind the ROM but i love some of the preloaded apps that you cant get from the market.

Also has anyone noticed anything strange with how accurate the battery meter is? I was at 85% and when i rebooted the phone it said i was at %99 when it came back up.

myriad46

Sep 30, 2008
I would post this under the eclipse section but in development but i dont have rights yet.

Is it okay to install a different launcher, email, calendar etc apps on ROMS like this. I hate to do that and destroy the whole idea behind the ROM but i love some of the preloaded apps that you cant get from the market.

Also has anyone noticed anything strange with how accurate the battery meter is? I was at 85% and when i rebooted the phone it said i was at %99 when it came back up.

There's a lot more to a ROM than the surface. Feel free to install whatever you want. Most ROMS though they have themed elements are modifying a lot of what you don't see. Removing unwanted involvement from Motorola, for example. Changing memory settings, wifi refresh rates, all sorts of things.

The battery meter issues are with 2.3.4 base, and no one has gotten a handle on how to fix it quite yet. It doesn't seem to affect battery life and within a little while, the percentage will get closer to accurate.

hamburgerman

Oct 14, 2011

Yes it is ok, I run launcher pro and have a different calender. As for the battery issue did you recalibrate the battery after flashing the new rom onto the phone?

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

You can switch to the camcorder once you start the camera app, also you could side load the blur camera if it bugs you that much.

stanleyj42

Jul 25, 2011
No i didnt do the battery calabration. i think i might start over and give that a try. I actually really like the camera and the gallery i just happen to notice that there wasnt a camcorder icon in the menu. Trust me thats not a big deal.

GibsA750

Aug 30, 2011
As said earlier, the camcorder is in the camera app.

As for installing other apps, if you mean installing apps from the market, that is ok and they will work correctly. However, if you mean installing the original preloaded blur apps, most of those will have some functionality missing with Eclipse, if they even work at all. Posting exactly what apps you want to install will get a clearer answer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

If u want a direct button to camcorder GO TO MARKET.
Download app named CAMCORDER SHORTCUT.
Presto. Camcorder direct app button.
Anything else u need? ;)

amancini92292

Sep 21, 2011

I use different launcher and music applications on my and have no issues at all. i dont see why you would have any issues, give it a shot whats the worst that can happen you reflash it.

reaktorblue

Aug 16, 2010
My advice is to make a Nandroid backup before you make any changes you may later regret. Then, if you find that after installing an application your phone starts to have weird anomalies, you can simply restore from your backup when you know it was working well.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
I also hate that I cant post in the dev threads yet. Not everyone that creates an account here is a n00b. lol. Oh well. I gotta get my 10 posts in.

The eclipse rom is just like the stock rom in the sense that you can install anything from the market and use it as normal, such as launchers, email apps, messaging apps, etc. They will work fine.

As far as the battery problem, that was something introduced with 2.3.4. Blame that on Motorola. There is a battery fix that was mentioned above that works well. I have been using it for about a week and have seen no problems with my battery jumping after reboots.