edgeTile: Pin your desktop app tiles and more!

Search This thread

francibon93

Sep 20, 2016
Hi,

I'm the developer of edgeTile, an OblyTile alternative for Windows 10 that allows users to create and pin custom Start Menu Tiles for executables, links, store apps, files, folder and websites. The app includes also a bunch of useful utilities such as Tile Backups support, Icons packs and a MS URIs cheat sheet.

The app supports also desktop apps launch without using any annoying external proxy apps. This is possible due to edgeTile currently participating to the Desktop Bridge (Project Centennial) Program.

edgeTile is free and is available on Windows 10 Desktop and Mobile.

You can find the app here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/edgetile/9nblggh20dz9

promotional_image2.png

promotional_image1.png

promotional_image3.png

Last, if you find any bugs feel free to contact me.

Email: [email protected]
Twitter: @francibon93

Last edited:
Reactions: maxaon09

ViniciusKTZ1580

Sep 9, 2016
Not launching .EXE

It does not start .EXE, both executable and setups, regardless of whether it is in the programs folder or in other folders. Other files start normally.
Note: Tested with and without the desktop proxy. EdgeTile v.2.2.7.0.

For the lovers of the tiles, my profile in DA, I make several tiles for several programs: vcferreira.deviantart.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Amillennialist

JohnnyGui

Dec 26, 2013
Hi,

I'm the developer of edgeTile, an OblyTile alternative for Windows 10 that allows users to create and pin custom Start Menu Tiles for executables, links, store apps, files, folder and websites. The app includes also a bunch of useful utilities such as Tile Backups support, Icons packs and a MS URIs cheat sheet.

The app supports also desktop apps launch without using any annoying external proxy apps. This is possible due to edgeTile currently participating to the Desktop Bridge (Project Centennial) Program.

You can find the app here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/edgetile/9nblggh20dz9

promotional_image2.png

promotional_image1.png

promotional_image3.png

Great app! Is there a way for your app not to automatically pop up and close every time I start a program that I have edited its icon of?

Nov 24, 2012
Pinning desktop tiles doesn't seem to work on my system (Windows 10 Creators Update, build 15063). Here's what I'm trying to launch:
Code:
"C:\Python36\python.exe" "E:\tools\network-auth.py"

Here's what I've tried feeding to edgeTile as a target:
  • "C:\Python36\python.exe" "E:\tools\network-auth.py" (as above, verbatim)
  • edgeTile:"C:\Python36\python.exe" "E:\tools\network-auth.py" (an edgeTile: URI, as recommended by your URI lists)

The "enable desktop applications" box was ticked for both values. In the end, the only thing that actually worked was unticking that box and launching "tilecreator://network-auth", using my old TileCreator proxy application.

Clearly this is not the intended behavior, so what's going on?

Jan 25, 2015
Constantinople
Pinning desktop tiles doesn't seem to work on my system (Windows 10 Creators Update, build 15063). Here's what I'm trying to launch:
Code:
"C:\Python36\python.exe" "E:\tools\network-auth.py"

Here's what I've tried feeding to edgeTile as a target:
  • "C:\Python36\python.exe" "E:\tools\network-auth.py" (as above, verbatim)
  • edgeTile:"C:\Python36\python.exe" "E:\tools\network-auth.py" (an edgeTile: URI, as recommended by your URI lists)

The "enable desktop applications" box was ticked for both values. In the end, the only thing that actually worked was unticking that box and launching "tilecreator://network-auth", using my old TileCreator proxy application.

Clearly this is not the intended behavior, so what's going on?

Not sure if this will help, but when trying to get certain games to run with command line parameters, I create a shortcut with what I need -- for example, G:\Quake\quake.exe -width 1920 -height 1080 -- and then Copy as Path. That lets edgeTile run it just fine.

Last edited:

ambc

Jan 3, 2011
Not sure if this will help, but when trying to get certain games to run with command line parameters, I created a shortcut with what I needed -- for example, G:\Quake\quake.exe -width 1920 -height 1080 -- and then Copied as Path. That let edgeTile run it just fine.

Sory but can you explain how to run .exe or shortcuts ? It seems all good when I try but when I click the tile nothing happens but it's open folders well. :confused:

Jan 25, 2015
Constantinople
Sory but can you explain how to run .exe or shortcuts ? It seems all good when I try but when I click the tile nothing happens but it's open folders well. :confused:

1) Create a shortcut to the game.
2) Highlight the shortcut and then Copy as Path.
3) In edgeTile, paste that path into LAUNCHER Uri. (Example: "C:\Assets\Quake.lnk")
4) Check Enable Desktop Executables Launch.
5) Select Launch target with URI (URLs and MS URIs).

Good luck!

Last edited:

ambc

Jan 3, 2011
1) Create a shortcut to the game.
2) Highlight the shortcut and then Copy as Path.
3) In edgeTile, paste that path into LAUNCHER Uri. (Example: "C:\Assets\Quake.lnk")
4) Check Enable Desktop Executables Launch.
5) Select Launch target with URI (URLs and MS URIs).

Good luck!

Thanks for reply. Nop still the same its open a blue window than nothing

Jan 25, 2015
Constantinople

krono2

Aug 24, 2016
No funciona con Photoshop CC 2018.
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Photoshop.exe
Photoshop CC 2018 no se inicia. ¿Que hago?

Mar 18, 2018
It does not start .EXE, both executable and setups, regardless of whether it is in the programs folder or in other folders. Other files start normally.

For the lovers of the tiles, my profile in DA, I make several tiles for several programs: vcferreira.deviantart.com

So for exe what works is if you :

Launch target as file, select the file, then enable launch as target with URI and tick to enable desktop exec launch - works for me.

jptiger

Jul 23, 2011
I'm having similar issues, specifically with GOG Galaxy games and getting them to open with the Galaxy app (to get achievements, sync cloud saves, etc). If I open up a shortcut to one, I get something like this as the path:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\GalaxyClient.exe" /command=runGame /gameId=1421064427 /path="C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Sunless Sea"

If I try pasting that into edgetile as a URI, nothing happens.

I noticed there's a special URI for launching executables with arguments,
Code:
edgetile:{path to executable followed by arguments}

But if I try "edgetile:{"C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\GalaxyClient.exe" /command=runGame /gameId=1421064427 /path="C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Sunless Sea"}" it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Got it to work with the Copy as Path thing! Took a little research. Here's an expanded version of the directions for those who don't recognize that command:

1. Create or find a shortcut that does what you want your tile to do.
2. If you made it, put it somewhere you want it. If it's already in the Start menu, try right clicking, hovering over "more" and then "Open file location."
2. Hold down the shift key and right click the shortcut.
3. You should now see the option "Copy as path" in the context menu. If you don't, you probably weren't holding down shift.
4. Open up Edgetile, and paste what you've copied into the place for the Uri
5. Check "Enable Desktop Executables Launch"

Voila! Works great for GOG Galaxy games.

domsch1988

Mar 6, 2011
Köln
Sorry to pull this thread up again, but i'm still not able to launch any .exe Files.
I'm on latest Windows 10 1903, installed edgeTile from the Store.
I tried any combination of Path, with all Launch Options. I tried with a plain path, with "Path" and with edgeTile:. None seem to work. They either show the edgeTile splash and then nothing happens, or i get the error "The uri associated with this Tile is invalid!"
I tried with Steam Games, Discord, two Browsers and some random stuff i had lying arround. Any Tipps to get this working?

robross0606

Feb 22, 2011
I can also confirm that edgeTile simply will not open any executables at all. Not by lnk path, not by exe path, not using "edgeTile:" prefix. Nada.

4radea

Sep 5, 2016
in the microsoft store it says:
If you don't want to see edgeTile splashscreen when launching a tile on Desktop you just need to drag edgeTile window to the border of the screen. By doing so this setting will be saved for next tile launch until you move the window again.
how exactly is this? I drag the edgetile to the border of the screen, but every time open the apps pinned by edgetile, the splashscreen still pop up

Jan 25, 2015
Constantinople
EdgeTile Creators still works

I can also confirm that edgeTile simply will not open any executables at all. Not by lnk path, not by exe path, not using "edgeTile:" prefix. Nada.

In EdgeTile Creators:

-Create a shortcut to the file you want to run.

-Right click on that shortcut and Copy Path.

-Paste that into the Launcher: Path field and select Launch as File/Executable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

promotional_image2.png

promotional_image1.png

promotional_image3.png

The app supports also desktop apps launch without using any annoying external proxy apps.*

run desktop apps (games, programs) failed. It would be great to add transparency for the background tiles. otherwise, very good
    Not launching .EXE

Could you maybe add support for transparent backgrounds?