• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

EDL flashing (MTK) Hard Brick

Search This thread
Oct 23, 2021
Hello,

I've recently hardbricked my Redmi Note 9

I've tried shorting some of the pads to see if I can flash it through the communication ports using EDL. I've shorted some of the pads and the flash tool shows these logs..:

[17:54:15]:lsusb path:"C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Downloads\mi-globe.com_Xiaomi_Mi-FlashTool_20200314\Source\ThirdParty\Qualcomm\fh_loader\lsusb.exe" [17:54:15]:ls ubs :Communications Port (COM1) USB Serial Device (COM5) [17:54:15]:GetScriptDevices [17:55:24]:lsusb path:"C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Downloads\mi-globe.com_Xiaomi_Mi-FlashTool_20200314\Source\ThirdParty\Qualcomm\fh_loader\lsusb.exe" [17:55:24]:ls ubs :Communications Port (COM1)

How do you get the flash tool to recognize the communication port as a device?
Redmi Note 9 uses MTK if I remember correctly.

I hardbricked it while trying to flash the most recent ROM.
One of 2 things could've gone wrong:

Either the fact that I was jumping from Android 10 to Android 11 ( I was using the fastboot ROM)
Or the fact that I accidentally clicked "Clean All and Lock", and then something went wrong there.
However one thing is for sure, the preloader is corrupted. I don't think FRP is gone though.

Any tips?

-Thanks

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello,

I've recently hardbricked my Redmi Note 9

I've tried shorting some of the pads to see if I can flash it through the communication ports using EDL. I've shorted some of the pads and the flash tool shows these logs..:

[17:54:15]:lsusb path:"C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Downloads\mi-globe.com_Xiaomi_Mi-FlashTool_20200314\Source\ThirdParty\Qualcomm\fh_loader\lsusb.exe" [17:54:15]:ls ubs :Communications Port (COM1) USB Serial Device (COM5) [17:54:15]:GetScriptDevices [17:55:24]:lsusb path:"C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Downloads\mi-globe.com_Xiaomi_Mi-FlashTool_20200314\Source\ThirdParty\Qualcomm\fh_loader\lsusb.exe" [17:55:24]:ls ubs :Communications Port (COM1)

How do you get the flash tool to recognize the communication port as a device?
Redmi Note 9 uses MTK if I remember correctly.

I hardbricked it while trying to flash the most recent ROM.
One of 2 things could've gone wrong:

Either the fact that I was jumping from Android 10 to Android 11 ( I was using the fastboot ROM)
Or the fact that I accidentally clicked "Clean All and Lock", and then something went wrong there.
However one thing is for sure, the preloader is corrupted. I don't think FRP is gone though.

Any tips?

-Thanks
Not EDL exactly, devices with MediaTek SoC don't use EDL (this is for Qualcomm), MTK uses Preloader (download) and BROM modes, the preloader is usually inaccessible in newer models or at least useless, so you can use an exploit to bypass the BROM restriction, follow carefully this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...icked-redmi-note-9-merlin-hard-brick.4347025/

Oct 23, 2021
Not EDL exactly, devices with MediaTek SoC don't use EDL (this is for Qualcomm), MTK uses Preloader (download) and BROM modes, the preloader is usually inaccessible in newer models or at least useless, so you can use an exploit to bypass the BROM restriction, follow carefully this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...icked-redmi-note-9-merlin-hard-brick.4347025/
Interesting, thank you very much..

But here's the thing, whenever I plug it in it still loops, even with the battery being disconnected from MB.

Do I need to let it just... stay put for a very long time? I've done that for 2 weeks and it still loops.

(Windows disconnect / reconnect sound, even when the OS does not recognize any new device)

One more thing, is there a possibility for this method to corrupt the firmware even more? Or is this some real bare-metal stuff that as long as you do correctly you should be fine?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Interesting, thank you very much..
I missed that thread, I used in the past within other threads/guides, the link provided by @L!V3_4_XC3SS has the steps better done, or at least is more comprehensive.
But here's the thing, whenever I plug it in it still loops, even with the battery being disconnected from MB.
You need to power it off completely by pressing the three buttons, in the short period you see device is off, then release the PWR button and keep pressing the two volume buttons to enter to BROM mode while you connect to the PC, run first the bypass bat.
Do I need to let it just... stay put for a very long time? I've done that for 2 weeks and it still loops.
If the trick doesn't work instantly then waiting is no sense, try again.
(Windows disconnect / reconnect sound, even when the OS does not recognize any new device)

One more thing, is there a possibility for this method to corrupt the firmware even more? Or is this some real bare-metal stuff that as long as you do correctly you should be fine.
Always that you use the Download option you are safe, if preloader is un-ticked from the partitions and if the option Format Whole Flash except Bootloader is ticked too in the Format tab then you are totally safe.

Oct 23, 2021
How do I know my device is in BROM mode?
I've tried to first power it off, then pressing the 2 vol buttons. It just.. reboots and keep bootlooping.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
How do I know my device is in BROM mode?
I've tried to first power it off, then pressing the 2 vol buttons. It just.. reboots and keep bootlooping.
Read carefully the thread linked and follow one-by-one all the steps, if you run first the bypass.bat then you will see a message that the DA/SLAA protection was disabled. This way, you'll go to know that you are now on BROM mode.

Oct 23, 2021
Read carefully the thread linked and follow one-by-one all the steps, if you run first the bypass.bat then you will see a message that the DA/SLAA protection was disabled. This way, you'll go to know that you are now on BROM mode.
So the payload launches on COM5 correct?

Also I have no way to stop it from bootlooping. I've tried shutting it down, same thing,
Like I said before.

While it's online, it's detected as a USB serial device on COM5.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
So the payload launches on COM5 correct?

Also I have no way to stop it from bootlooping. I've tried shutting it down, same thing,
Like I said before.

While it's online, it's detected as a USB serial device on COM5.
You have to achieve here two main things; install the USB MediaTek preloader using the LibUSB device filter and the second, get your device detected to BROM mode.

For the first thing just connect your device without pressing a button, open the device filter window and see the variants, when a new item appears quickly press on it to install the drivers.

For the second thing, although your device is trying to rebooting this doesn't matter if you learn to make the right combination buttons variables at the right time, wait the exact time that device gets off and press the two volume buttons to attach it to the PC, but first launch the bypass.bat. Be sure that you are understanding what is written here, I had the same issue in two devices and got to sort it anyway.

Oct 23, 2021
You have to achieve here two main things; install the USB MediaTek preloader using the LibUSB device filter and the second, get your device detected to BROM mode.

For the first thing just connect your device without pressing a button, open the device filter window and see the variants, when a new item appears quickly press on it to install the drivers.

For the second thing, although your device is trying to rebooting this doesn't matter if you learn to make the right combination buttons variables at the right time, wait the exact time that device gets off and press the two volume buttons to attach it to the PC, but first launch the bypass.bat. Be sure that you are understanding what is written here, I had the same issue in two devices and got to sort it anyway.
I tried running the bypass,

I followed all the steps, installed the drivers, and the filter lib usb thingy.

I got an error while running the first bypass:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\main.py", line 213, in <module>
main()
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\main.py", line 44, in main
config, serial_link_authorization, download_agent_authorization, hw_code = get_device_info(device, arguments)
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\main.py", line 136, in get_device_info
hw_code = device.get_hw_code()
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\src\device.py", line 178, in get_hw_code
self.echo(0xFD)
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\src\device.py", line 110, in echo
self.check(from_bytes(self.read(size), size), words)
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\src\device.py", line 88, in check
raise RuntimeError("Unexpected output, expected {} got {}".format(gold, test))
RuntimeError: Unexpected output, expected 0xfd got 0xfe

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I tried running the bypass,

I followed all the steps, installed the drivers, and the filter lib usb thingy.

I got an error while running the first bypass:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\main.py", line 213, in <module>
main()
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\main.py", line 44, in main
config, serial_link_authorization, download_agent_authorization, hw_code = get_device_info(device, arguments)
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\main.py", line 136, in get_device_info
hw_code = device.get_hw_code()
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\src\device.py", line 178, in get_hw_code
self.echo(0xFD)
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\src\device.py", line 110, in echo
self.check(from_bytes(self.read(size), size), words)
File "C:\Users\Friendly Chemist\Desktop\F1\bypass\src\device.py", line 88, in check
raise RuntimeError("Unexpected output, expected {} got {}".format(gold, test))
RuntimeError: Unexpected output, expected 0xfd got 0xfe
Don't worry, this message usually appears, just keep it trying, you need to get device in BROM mode, and it'll work. Also, you can check for this thread, if you are lacking or missing some info https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/repair-dead-hard-bricked-realme-3-3i-tutorial.4224255/