Question EDL mode (9008 mode) Please Help To Fix

Search This thread

Jamshid66

Mar 11, 2012
Turkye
ASUS ROG Phone 5
If the device is under warranty and this happened without you altering anything I don't understand how they can reject it

If the device is only stuck in EDL mode but no hardware damage and has a working bootloader you can try (entirely at own risk):

1 - Make (or buy) a deep flash cable and see if you can snap it out of EDL mode by activating it a few times while the device is connected. (Chances are slim but it does work sometimes).

2 - Disconnect and re-connect the battery pack from the mainboard. The battery connector of ROG 5 is located on the right side between the north battery and the mainboard when looked from the back. You need to remove the top part of the motherboard for access to it. It's not a huge operation but requires some basic tools and some phone adhesive for closing the backcase again. Some cooling paste is also useful to repaste the heat conducting parts before closing it again (optional).

However, if the device doesn't have a working boot and/or it's really damaged then all above is useless.
I opened the phone, disconnected the battery cable and connected it, but nothing happened

Jamshid66

Mar 11, 2012
Turkye
ASUS ROG Phone 5
If the device is under warranty and this happened without you altering anything I don't understand how they can reject it

If the device is only stuck in EDL mode but no hardware damage and has a working bootloader you can try (entirely at own risk):

1 - Make (or buy) a deep flash cable and see if you can snap it out of EDL mode by activating it a few times while the device is connected. (Chances are slim but it does work sometimes).

2 - Disconnect and re-connect the battery pack from the mainboard. The battery connector of ROG 5 is located on the right side between the north battery and the mainboard when looked from the back. You need to remove the top part of the motherboard for access to it. It's not a huge operation but requires some basic tools and some phone adhesive for closing the backcase again. Some cooling paste is also useful to repaste the heat conducting parts before closing it again (optional).

However, if the device doesn't have a working boot and/or it's really damaged then all above is useless.
Can it be done with this cable?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-04-19-56-53-633_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-04-19-56-53-633_com.whatsapp.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 49

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X
Can it be done with this cable?

To be honest, If you disconnected/re-connected the battery from the motherboard and the phone still falls back into EDL, a deep flash cable won't do much for you - the same will happen.I think your bootloader is damaged - hopefully not a hardware issue/

But yes, that's a deep flash cable if you ever need one. You can also just make one from a normal USB data cable. All the cable does is shorting the Data+ and Ground lines. Like this:

Attachments

• 1633437642800.png
    1633437642800.png
    260.7 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: twistedumbrella

Jamshid66

Mar 11, 2012
Turkye
ASUS ROG Phone 5
To be honest, If you disconnected/re-connected the battery from the motherboard and the phone still falls back into EDL, a deep flash cable won't do much for you - the same will happen.I think your bootloader is damaged - hopefully not a hardware issue/

But yes, that's a deep flash cable if you ever need one. You can also just make one from a normal USB data cable. All the cable does is shorting the Data+ and Ground lines. Like this:
What should be done if the bootloader is damaged?

You misunderstood what I meant! This is my phone that broke and I am going to repair it for myself not for others and I won’t make money from this way! Anyway, thank you for your help although you are looking for a reason not help!

I've told you everything I knew already. The only difference between when you were passing yourself off as a beginner and when you admitted to this being your job is how much of the risk I was willing to take on my own device to find answers.

Reactions: aimsjahan

Jamshid66

Mar 11, 2012
Turkye
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I've told you everything I knew already. The only difference between when you were passing yourself off as a beginner and when you admitted to this being your job is how much of the risk I was willing to take on my own device to find answers.
I have never introduced myself as a beginner and now I’m looking for a solution to my phone problem! I also tried different ways to solve the problem with risk but did not get results, What did you end up with your risks?

I have never introduced myself as a beginner and now I’m looking for a solution to my phone problem! I also tried different ways to solve the problem with risk but did not get results, What did you end up with your risks?

Someone in the field should know enough to accept responsibility for the risks. This is the second time you are trying to imply that I am either responsible for your problem or should be responsible for fixing it. It sucks you got yourself into that situation and I do hope you find a way out. As for me, the only choice appears to be to ignore you and spare us both the frustration of going in circles.

aimsjahan

Sep 20, 2013
OnePlus X
OnePlus 5
You misunderstood what I meant! This is my phone that broke and I am going to repair it for myself not for others and I won’t make money from this way! Anyway, thank you for your help although you are looking for a reason not help!
I think it is YOU who are misunderstanding @twistedumbrella ! As long as I am following discussions here, @twistedumbrella is one of the very few guys who are trying to help others almost on daily basis. It is NOT his fault that we don't have all the files required for solving all of your device issues.

In my opinion, you should have more patience till someone gets us the files & meanwhile please be more friendly towards the people who care enough to even reply you.

Reactions: twistedumbrella

Jamshid66

Mar 11, 2012
Turkye
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I think it is YOU who are misunderstanding @twistedumbrella ! As long as I am following discussions here, @twistedumbrella is one of the very few guys who are trying to help others almost on daily basis. It is NOT his fault that we don't have all the files required for solving all of your device issues.

In my opinion, you should have more patience till someone gets us the files & meanwhile please be more friendly towards the people who care enough to even reply you.
I am friendly and thank the friends who help
That's why I asked you which file you need

Jamshid66

Mar 11, 2012
Turkye
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Someone in the field should know enough to accept responsibility for the risks. This is the second time you are trying to imply that I am either responsible for your problem or should be responsible for fixing it. It sucks you got yourself into that situation and I do hope you find a way out. As for me, the only choice appears to be to ignore you and spare us both the frustration of going in circles.

I don’t blame you. Since I need my phone urgently, I asked for help if possible to solve the problem, but you got it wrong and thought it was to make money while I was looking to fix my phone :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys
    Please help me to solve my problem. I tried several methods but unfortunately it was not solved. Does anyone have a suitable solution?
    My Phone Rog phone 5 ww ver bootloader Locked

What is the specific problem you are trying to fix?
    My phone (Rog phone 5) turned off and didn’t turn on!!
    After connecting to PC, it enters to EDL Mode and doesn’t exit from it!!
    Help me that how can exit it from EDL Mode and use my phone again!?

What were you doing when it started? Did you unlock the bootloader? Was it rooted? Did you flash something?
    It went to this state when the mobile phone was finished charging

It's a completely stock phone? You've never unlocked the bootloader or tried to flash anything?

If that's the case, you'd be far better off contacting Asus about it. It is well within the year warranty and you may require a special cable to flash it correctly yourself. It sounds like it may be defective, so even recovering it could only be temporary.

I talked to the support department but did not answer
    Is there a way I can do it?
    I feel my bootloader is broken

Probably need a deep flash cable, I believe it's called
    It says they are updating the page. You probably won't hear back over the weekend and they take a couple days to reply normally. It is the safest way to restore the phone, though.

Making cables and using software that doesn't come directly from Asus for restoring from a brick is risky. It's a last resort when they say they won't help.