EDL mode on Redmi 4 Prime

Search This thread

Pumpino

I received my Redmi 4 Prime today and it came with a vendor ROM. Mi Unlock won't work with it, so I need to flash the China dev ROM in EDL mode in order to unlock the bootloader. However, when I issue "adb reboot edl", the phone reboots, but there's no red LED. When I attempt to flash the official ROM with MiFlash, it fails. I'm left wondering if it's a driver issue or if for whatever reason, it's not entering EDL mode. My Redmi Note 3 Pro displays a red LED when it's in EDL mode.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

EDIT: I tried a different USB port and it worked. I hope that's helpful for someone else. Still no red LED in EDL mode though. :)

Last edited:

Pumpino

Redmi 4 Prime doesnt display red led on EDL. It just shows up like Qualcomm 9008 on device manager.

Thanks. Have you had any issues with the notification LED?

I'm running the latest ROM from xiaomi.eu.

It doesn't flash for missed calls, regardless of which colour I choose. It only flashes for messages if I use the stock messaging app. If I enable the LED within Chomp, with Light Manager or Light Flow, it doesn't work. Previously, when I've used MIUI, I've used the built-in tool to change the colour of missed calls, messages and calendar notifications, but it won't work. It comes on when charging, however, so I know it works.

ratomike

Jan 15, 2017
Bricked Redmi 4 Prime

Does anyone have any idea on how to unbrick a redmi 4 prime?

It's completly bricked and I've tried everything:

-> EDL cable -> doesn't work
-> Pressing buttons tutorial -> doesn't work

My driver is only the QUalcomm 900E, I can't force it to get the 9008...

I'm so frustrated I just want to smash it :)

If you have any ideas, I would be glad to hear.

ardrift

Nov 3, 2015
Does anyone have any idea on how to unbrick a redmi 4 prime?

It's completly bricked and I've tried everything:

-> EDL cable -> doesn't work
-> Pressing buttons tutorial -> doesn't work

My driver is only the QUalcomm 900E, I can't force it to get the 9008...

I'm so frustrated I just want to smash it :)

If you have any ideas, I would be glad to hear.
I was in the same situation as you, but I've found this as a solution and I was SO happy I could make it work... You should try that out, hope it works for you as well. :)

ardrift

Nov 3, 2015
He said the deepflash cable doesnt work, he is on diag mode (because he probably flashed the wrong rom). You need to follow this to get out of 900E

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/guide-testpoint-xiaomi-redmi-4-prime-unbrick-qh900e.37478/
I mean I was in the same situation as him, because I've also made a deep flash cable but couldn't get it working for the first couple of times, because I was doing it wrong. You don't have to disassemble your phone, just follow the instructions in the post that I've linked in my previous reply, it worked for me.

ratomike

Jan 15, 2017
Thanks for the replies, I will try 1st without disassembling , if it doesn't work I will try to disassemble it.

Reactions: ardrift

ofmb

Mar 3, 2011
I was in the same situation as you, but I've found this as a solution and I was SO happy I could make it work... You should try that out, hope it works for you as well. :)

This and that comment you've posted saved my phone from hard brick!

The exact steps mentioned there didn't work after trying several times, so what I've done is (some of the steps are copied from OP):

1. Created a deepflash cable (tl;dr get a data cable and uncover the green + black cables. easiest way to uncover without cutting them is by burning the plastic)
  2. Started the phone in fastboot mode (PWR + volume down)
  3. Connected the phone to the computer using the deepflash cable (don't short the cables yet),
  4. used "fastboot reboot" to restart phone.
  5. Quickly short GND and D+ for a few seconds AND click both volume_up+volume_down, then windows installed HS-USB QDloader 9008 driver

I've flashed the phone with fastboot global rom and lost unlock status :/

Android:)

Oct 12, 2014
I received my Redmi 4 Prime today and it came with a vendor ROM. Mi Unlock won't work with it, so I need to flash the China dev ROM in EDL mode in order to unlock the bootloader. However, when I issue "adb reboot edl", the phone reboots, but there's no red LED. When I attempt to flash the official ROM with MiFlash, it fails. I'm left wondering if it's a driver issue or if for whatever reason, it's not entering EDL mode. My Redmi Note 3 Pro displays a red LED when it's in EDL mode.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

EDIT: I tried a different USB port and it worked. I hope that's helpful for someone else. Still no red LED in EDL mode though. :)

Follow this: youtu. be/E5r05IzVnTg
I can't post this link, remove the space after the "."
But, before of connecting the device to pc, you have to remove the battery connector. One in the center, just above the battery.
testpoint-xiaomi-redmi4-prime.png

I have unbricked my RedMi 4 Pro so.

maXDAmn

Jul 23, 2016
i can enter edl mode by installing custom adb program (search on xda). simply reboot device to bootloader and run custom adb program, type 'fastboot reboot edl'.

dandodex

Jul 27, 2010
EDL mode unavailable on new Redmi 4 Prime

Hello all,

I have just received a new Redmi 4 Prime from GeekBuying.com.

It came with official Global 8.1.2, but to make sure I was not on a vendor version I downloaded official one again and updated.

First, I appear to be unable to unlock the phone, stuck at 50% claiming a mismatch between accounts. Strange as I unlocked my Redmi Note 3 Kate without issues a while ago so the account is enabled for unlocking. I do have USB debugging and OEM unlock enabled in developer options.

So next step, I would like to try unlocking from the Chinese Developer ROM, but it seems it is impossible to put this phone into EDL mode.

I have tried from the recovery mode (volume up+power) but when I click the "download" button it just reboots to normal MIUI. If I use a modified fastboot command which can be used to send "fastboot reboot-edl" it also just reboots to normal MIUI. Even "adb reboot edl" just reboots to the homescreen.

Is EDL locked in newer versions of this phone?

dels07

Nov 1, 2012
Jakarta
Hello all,

I have just received a new Redmi 4 Prime from GeekBuying.com.

It came with official Global 8.1.2, but to make sure I was not on a vendor version I downloaded official one again and updated.

First, I appear to be unable to unlock the phone, stuck at 50% claiming a mismatch between accounts. Strange as I unlocked my Redmi Note 3 Kate without issues a while ago so the account is enabled for unlocking. I do have USB debugging and OEM unlock enabled in developer options.

So next step, I would like to try unlocking from the Chinese Developer ROM, but it seems it is impossible to put this phone into EDL mode.

I have tried from the recovery mode (volume up+power) but when I click the "download" button it just reboots to normal MIUI. If I use a modified fastboot command which can be used to send "fastboot reboot-edl" it also just reboots to normal. Even "adb reboot edl" just reboots to the homescreen.

Is EDL locked in newer versions of this phone?
AFAIK EDL disabled since 8.1.2 global rom, however I successfully unlock while using 8.1.2 global rom, by removing my other devices in mi account page and use account number instead of email/phone.

Btw if you really need EDL, you must create a deepflash cable. I only use fastboot to install rom, never had a problem, so i never had to do EDL.

dandodex

Jul 27, 2010
AFAIK EDL disabled since 8.1.2 global rom, however I successfully unlock while using 8.1.2 global rom, by removing my other devices in mi account page and use account number instead of email/phone.

Btw if you really need EDL, you must create a deepflash cable. I only use fastboot to install rom, never had a problem, so i never had to do EDL.

Thanks for that. I factory reset and user the account ID number instead of my email address to log into Mi Account. I tried to unlock again and this time it worked.

Very interesting to learn that EDL was disabled since 8.1.2 global ROM.

senseii

Jul 7, 2010
I just got a new Redmi4 Prime with a chinese vendor rom on 8.2.1.0 and the EDL mode was 'disabled' but managed to get into it by booting the phone to fastboot and typing :
fastboot oem edl
Phone rebooted to black screen and was then able to flash global rom using the MiFlash program.
All good! Even managed to get root (to install AdAway) keeping original recovery by booting phone to fastboot and typing :
fastboot boot your_custom_recovery.img
TWRP booted up and then flashed supersu then rebooted.
Very happy with this phone!

shoo

Sep 18, 2008
no edl :/

guys, can't get to edl in anyway :(
deepflash cable not working. testpin near battery not working. testpin that is one and a bit up plus shield to the right- not working. got diagnostics 900e still. stuck at boot loop, MI appears on a second and blank screen. That happend after i tried to flash throught TWRP.
any ideas? fastboot working , but that gives nothing since locked bootloader i think ?

Mactley

Jul 3, 2013
Hi all,

issue: xiaomi unlocker stuck at 50% (presumably due to wrong version)

issue2: EDL mode is not accessible, so no other version can be flashed

solution: log in to the xiaomi unlocker tool using your xiaomi account number, rather than phone number or email address. The account number can be found by logging in through the browser and looking at your account details. This worked for me and allowed the unlocker to reach 100% even though I was running a global stable 8.2 rom. Then proceed to use fastboot/adb to flash TWRP, no EDL necessary. Hope this works for you.

dels07

Nov 1, 2012
Jakarta
deepflash cable not working. testpin near battery not working. testpin that is one and a bit up plus shield to the right- not working. got diagnostics 900e still. stuck at boot loop, MI appears on a second and blank screen. That happend after i tried to flash throught TWRP.
any ideas? fastboot working , but that gives nothing since locked bootloader i think ?
What are you trying to achieve?
You want to use official MIUI? Use fastboot and miflash, it works even your bootloader is locked.

You already unlocked I assumed, since you can use TWRP, then you can boot to twrp and flash rom etc or maybe yoy want to flash twrp on locked bootloader? In that case use official unlock method and login in mi unlocker using your account number.

korosnok

Apr 10, 2017
After a while I managed to revive phone. But now when I want to go into "DOWNLOAD" mode to flash Global stable official rom, the phone simply reboots.

(I can't open separate topic, sorry, I thought I will be able as I wrote)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Redmi 4 Prime doesnt display red led on EDL. It just shows up like Qualcomm 9008 on device manager.
    Thanks for the replies, I will try 1st without disassembling , if it doesn't work I will try to disassemble it.

I have the same Issue and how i resolve is as under,
    1: Open The Device Back Cover.
    2: Open the Shield that or on the Battery upper Side.
    3: Then Remove the Battery terminal connection. (must Disconnect the Battery).
    4:then Touch the Test-point as you can see in .YouTube Video
    5: Then Connect the Cable.
    6:Volla here you will Got the 9008 Mode.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Same situation here :(
    Tried test point and cable and no solution, screen goes black when i power on and only can go to fastboot with phone locked.
    Installed Qualcomm 9008 manually but still cant flash with flashtools.
    I dont know anymore what to do.

I have the same Issue and how i resolve is as under,
    1: Open The Device Back Cover.
    2: Open the Shield that or on the Battery upper Side.
    3: Then Remove the Battery terminal connection. (must Disconnect the Battery).
    4:then Touch the Test-point as you can see in .YouTube Video
    5: Then Connect the Cable.
    6:Volla here you will Got the 9008 Mode.
    allready tested :( i have the 9008 driver i can see it but when i try to flash it says :

[7,03 COM10]:cannot receive hello packet,MiFlash is trying to reset status!
    [7,04 COM10]:eek:bject reference not set to an instance of an object.

already tried all flashtools and no solution :( tried another pc with windows 7 64bits and same thing.
    even made a flashcable i have the 9008 driver and same error.
    tried a lot... :(
    i dont need to do the testpoint to get the 9008 just take all battery cable and it installs 9008.

Ok Listen Carefully and Follow as i say.
    1: Reboot Device while Pressing Vol(+) and Power but when the Device Vibrate then Release the Vol(+) key and Then Press and Hold Vol(-) Key. this will take the Device to a Recovery mode.
    2: Then Download Chinese Mi Pc suit and then flash it with the recovery. it will work that way. and i will try to upload a video for this but first i will check that i have one or not. and sorry i am not often online on XDA but i am online on FB often.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Unfortunately i don't have recovery mode, i can only get to fastboot (Locked), and when i restart i have black screen and logo miui shows and desapears very quickly.
    Any other solution? :(

Then when you start Device in EDL mode then Use Old Mi Flash Tools. and use it, for me its work. or try to follow the following method.
    Redmi 4 Prime Unlocking Unofficialy + TWRP+Lineage OS.