• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Effects of watch face on battery runtime

Search This thread

Mikeartworks

Sep 28, 2014
Can i set the watch up without an android phone? Will be geting a android phone in 6 months, but must get watch in 1 month. I wonder can i skip the pair to android wear step? Im ok with only seeing time and heart.

Techno79

Jun 23, 2008
It seems the face you choose makes a big difference!

I tested the "minimal" analog stock face, "simple" digital with no seconds, an app watchface called "speeds" with a smooth second hand, and a "luxury" face with animated gears in the background.

In order from most power efficient to least:
Simple: 28h 38m to 20%
Minimal: 24h 40m to 23%
Speeds: 21h 30m to 20%
Luxury: 12h to 20%

EDIT: The new update to KGW42R doubles battery life!? :D
Rotate: 49h 5m to 20%

This is great information. It would be interesting to see how the Simple, Minimal, Speeds and Luxury compare with the new update installed as this would give a good before and after picture. Are you able to do that testing? I'm in the UK and still waiting for it to be released here.

v3ngence

Dec 24, 2008
[/COLOR]Emm, what is this Rotate watch face? I don't see it in stock list.
Here you go, it looks like this:
Motorola_Moto_360_Rotate_Watch_Face.png

This is great information. It would be interesting to see how the Simple, Minimal, Speeds and Luxury compare with the new update installed as this would give a good before and after picture. Are you able to do that testing? I'm in the UK and still waiting for it to be released here.
Yeah I think I'll test the simple face next, since that had the best life before the update, maybe it can top 50 hours!

Techno79

Jun 23, 2008

Yeah I think I'll test the simple face next, since that had the best life before the update, maybe it can top 50 hours!

Well as that got 28 hours with 20% left, I'd imagine 50 hours would be easy unless you meant 50hours with 20% left? Either way, I'm sure it'll be much better and definitely as it should have been out of the box. Also, it'd be interesting to see how long the watch can last with ambient on. As long as it can last 18 hours with moderate use then I think that's good enough for me.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
With ambient display on or off?

With it off :)

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Ok guys, using the rotate face watch as the OP mentioned, I am now at 48 hours without a charge, and my battery is at 38%. That's with LOTS of texting, 20 minutes of GPS navigation for directions, two gmail accounts, used the vimofit app for about 15 minutes, heart rate/step tracker, I used the web browser briefly, and played about 5 minutes of Birdie Wear... ambient screen off, brightness set at 1.

I am very impressed with the battery life after the latest update! My watch works perfectly with very minimal stuttering (certain apps cause brief stuttering, but may jut need to be optimized)

I'm wondering if I can break the OP's record with time spent without a charge?? :cool: :good:

v3ngence

Dec 24, 2008
I'm going to go back to rotate after one more test with simple. The first test went to 20% after only 17h so I reset the watch and tried again. This time it's looking like ~30 hours, but I was expecting so much more, I regret not testing rotate before the update...

Maybe there is a bug with a popular app (wear launcher?) that uses CPU when the watch is off... would certainly explain random bad battery life :confused:

7ewis

Dec 15, 2013
Could you test a Facer watch face?

Got my M360 today, installed Facer already but I've heard a lot of contrasting opinions as to whether or not it affects the battery life.

Also, I have also read that people say even just by having it installe , but not in use can drain your battery?

Is it possible to remove certain apps just from the watch, and view running processes?

v3ngence

Dec 24, 2008
Sorry I'm enjoying the battery life of stock faces (with ambient on!)

I would imagine Facer drains the battery just like wearface but if you want to test, download any of the xcel files I posted then copy and edit one of the sheets and put in your Facer data!

Jess813

Jun 22, 2010
Weird, that rotate doesnt use as much battery even though it has a second animation going around the watch face. I am going to test out Skymaster as i bought it already but i am turning off all info and just leaving on the clock.

4b3ck

Nov 17, 2013
My battery life seems good now after few charge cycle, after 1 full day there was 34% left :D , I was using stock rotate and simple&elegant.

nix4ewa

Sep 15, 2013
Hamburg
Which background use more energy, white or black background?

The 360 got a LCD display. So the color doesnt matter. Only the bightness is important.
If you want to get the best battery life turn bightness to "1" and ambient mode off. And, like written in this thread, use the simple watchface.
Or there is an option in the motorola connect app to use your own design. You can choose the numbers, so its like the simple one. But you can select a custom backgroud

Reactions: dmora01

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't think this post is accurate anymore. Before AW hit 5.0, watchfaces were more of a hack, and they definitely had a noticeable impact on battery life. Now with the watch face API, I don't see that as a problem anymore.

I usually charge my watch before I go to bed, and leave it off the charger overnight. With stock watch faces pre 5.0, I'd wake up with 86% left. With custom watchfaces, it'd be less than that.

Now with 5.0 and custom watchfaces, it's still at 86%.

Reactions: zerosum0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems the face you choose makes a big difference!

I tested the "minimal" analog stock face, "simple" digital with no seconds, an app watchface called "speeds" with a smooth second hand, and a "luxury" face with animated gears in the background.

In order from most power efficient to least:
    Simple: 28h 38m to 20%
    Minimal: 24h 40m to 23%
    Speeds: 21h 30m to 20%
    Luxury: 12h to 20%

EDIT: The new update to KGW42R doubles battery life!? :D
    Rotate: 49h 5m to 20%

VMOYwCR.png

Excel file updated, if you want to try it for yourself, just copy a whole sheet and just change the graph title and fill in your own date and battery data!
    New record goes to simple!

u1CeAMW.png

Next up is rotate but with ambient mode ON :D
    [/COLOR]Emm, what is this Rotate watch face? I don't see it in stock list.

See first post for insane KGW42R battery runtime!
    z56Ts70.png
    This is great!

I was wondering how the different watch faces would affect the battery, especially the animated ones. I also think a black background would help; a white or lighter background would use more battery to light up the display.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! I look forward to your updates.