EFS and flash with PIT file, Re-partition checked and Nand erase enabled?

Search This thread

sten_amund

Aug 26, 2012
Hi, all!

First of all, I have searched XDA forum and the web without finding the answer to my exact question.

I have an S8, SM-G950F, NEE-region. I'm on Pie, XXS6DTA1. Stock, no root, and I do not wish to root or trip Knox. I experience an issue when I try to enter Recovery mode. It will not start properly as it should - it shows an error triangle and the message 'No command' and after some 15-20 secs. it enters recovery with several error messages saying something like 'vendor file could not be found beause path is missing...' (or something like that - I don't remember exactly).
I have read that this might have to do with a possible partition problem/corruption and it might be resolved by flashing with the 'Nand erase' checked. I have also found instructions on how to Odin flash with this option checked.

Now my question: What will happen with my EFS partition (or other critical partitions for that sake) if I flash the XXSDTA1 FW with the appropriate PIT file, 'Re-partition' enabled and 'Nand Erase enabled'? Will I lose EFS, rendering the phone unusable? I should add that I already flashed the FW with PIT and 'Re-partition' enabled and it did not resolve my issue.

Thanks for any input :)

Last edited:

BIOKNOX

Jan 5, 2020
Hi, all!

First of all, I have searched XDA forum and the web without finding the answer to my exact question.

I have an S8, SM-G950F, NEE-region. I'm on Pie, XXS6DTA1. Stock, no root, and I do not wish to root or trip Knox. I experience an issue when I try to enter Recovery mode. It will not start properly as it should - it shows an error triangle and the message 'No command' and after some 15-20 secs. it enters recovery with several error messages saying something like 'vendor file could not be found beause path is missing...' (or something like that - I don't remember exactly).
I have read that this might have to do with a possible partition problem/corruption and it might be resolved by flashing with the 'Nand erase' checked. I have also found instructions on how to Odin flash with this option checked.

Now my question: What will happen with my EFS partition (or other critical partitions for that sake) if I flash the XXSDTA1 FW with the appropriate PIT file, 'Re-partition' enabled and 'Nand Erase enabled'? Will I lose EFS, rendering the phone unusable? I should add that I already flashed the FW with PIT and 'Re-partition' enabled and it did not resolve my issue.

Thanks for any input :)

PIT file is basically a set of instructions defining the phone partition layout. You should use a it if you want to re-partition the phone
EFS a partition on your internal memory containing important data including the IMEI

Which means when you use pit file to re-partition your device it will not effect the EFS section cause if you need to wipe EFS partition you will have to use option 'Clear EFS' which is not available in odin

sten_amund

Aug 26, 2012
Thank you for your response - much appreciated :)

Referring to my question - what if 'Nand Erase' is also ticked/checked? Apparently, I have an issue with one or more partitions which is not resolved by 'Re-partition' only.

If I use 'Nand Erase' together with 'Re-partition' and FW - then what will happen to EFS?

BTW: I use Odin 3.13.3

Thank you for any further input :)

Last edited:

Pivato

Dec 8, 2011
Thank you for your response - much appreciated :)

Referring to my question - what if 'Nand Erase' is also ticked/checked? Apparently, I have an issue with one or more partitions which is not resolved by 'Re-partition' only.

If I use 'Nand Erase' together with 'Re-partition' and FW - then what will happen to EFS?

BTW: I use Odin 3.13.3

Thank you for any further input :)
I've the same problem. I has checked "Nand Erase" and flash the rom. Now I lost my 2 IMEI! I'm trying flash rom with the PIT file, but this doesn't work! Anybody help me? PS. Another problem, that's whe boot in recovery mode, I can't Wipe Data factory. I get this erro: "failed to mount /. system (invalid argument)". :'(