EFS Backup from device (without PC) [Update 11Feb14]

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
EFS Backup from device (without PC)

Why we need EFS backup ?

EFS folder contains some important and some basic info related to our device identity like Wi-Fi address, Bluetooth MAC address and the very main IMEI address (nv_data.bin).
Now if this EFS partition accidently corrupted then your phone’s IMEI number will get erased and you can not make voice call further. This kind of damage is often not accepted by the service center of your respected handset’s company.
Here your backup can only be savior for you

You needs device rooted, Here is guide how to root N7100.
NEW METHOD (Updated 11Feb14)

Install this app and select backup/Restore that's it. (keep USB debugging ON). Also read play store description.

Dr.Ketan EFS Tool N7100

Video guide

OLD METHOD

Backup EFS

1.Install Terminal emulator

2.Open it, you will get ***@android:/$

attachment.php

3.Now typebelow said command and enter
Code:
su

it will ask superSU permission, grant it (it will ask only if your superSU setting - default permission is set to 'prompt', if you have set to 'grant' it will not ask)

attachment.php

4.you will have now this
root@android:/ # (this # symbol suggest it got root access)

attachment.php

5.Now type below mentioned command (case sensitive) and enter (to make this step easy from device, i have attached 5.txt (5i for backup to Int sd card) file at end, just open and select text. later you can paste to emulator to avoid spell mistake)

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/storage/extSdCard/efs.img bs=4096

In case you don't have ExtSdCard and want to make backup to Int Sdcard then command should be like this

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/storage/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096

attachment.php

6.After successfull backup you will find msg as seen below in image, as well you can see 20MB file efs.img on Ext SD card

attachment.php

Now copy efs.img from Ext Sd card to safer place on pC/Laptop/media/online so you can find whenever you need it.

Restore

Make sure you have efs.img which you have got with backup, placed on Ext Sd card
Repeat step 1-4 as said above, and in step 5 you have to give below said command to restore it.
(you can copy below command by opening R.txt file (Ri.txt for restoring from int SD )attached at end to avoid spell mistake)

Code:
dd if=/storage/extSdCard/efs.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=4096
In case you restoring from IntSd card then command should be like this

Code:
dd if=/storage/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=4096

- Reboot device

FOR SOME ROMs like AOSP mounting point is different, so in case above command doesn't work then you need to know mount point. for this do following

Follow first 4 step said above to make backup (upto grant SU permission)
then Type

Code:
ls /storage

This will show mounting point of storage on your device like below shown image.

attachment.php

Here storage mounting point is
extSdCard for Ext SD card
sdcard0 for Int Sd card
So make changes in command accroeding your storage mount point.

Edit 28June13 : Just to report, today i have lost IMEI and got chance to restore with above said method and it work like charm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-08-16-56-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-16-56-35.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 68,993
  • Screenshot_2013-05-08-16-57-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-16-57-35.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 68,761
  • Screenshot_2013-05-08-16-58-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-16-58-01.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 68,479
  • Screenshot_2013-05-08-17-01-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-17-01-14.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 60,327
  • Screenshot_2013-05-08-17-01-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-17-01-32.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 60,050
  • 5.txt
    64 bytes · Views: 2,484
  • R.txt
    64 bytes · Views: 1,158
  • Screenshot_2013-09-07-11-18-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-07-11-18-59.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 41,116
  • 5i.txt
    61 bytes · Views: 485
  • Ri.txt
    61 bytes · Views: 502
Last edited:

mrlove6

With all respect for ur great work and effort, but I learned from u last time u helped me...I found the easiest way for the efs story...every phone I use, directly after rooting I install root explorer copy the efs folder to my pc and ext-sdcard...no matter what happened to the phone I just paste the folder back to its place and restart the phonw...and thats it, or u have objection about it? Please let me know

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app

tweeny80

Jul 2, 2012
in trouble !

That's not good idea, when you copy folder with explorer it will messup permission.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Hi there

I am in New Zealand, recently rooted with your help and installed PhilzCWM. Also on your advice, I backed up my EFS.

My problem: just today I realised I cannot send text, or make phone call. I am on X-Note ROM from 3-4 days ago. I am very sure that after installation, I had normal Mobile connectivity and was surprised to I didn't. Not sure if my EFS became corrupted, or other ROM setting is wrong.

My SERVICE STATE says Out of Service
My Mobile NETWORK STATE says disconnected.
My phone number says UNKNOWN

What's weird is
My IMEI lists a long number, assumed correct

So if my EFS partition is corrupted I assume I wouldn't see any IMEI at all.
Far as I know my SIM is activated (I am on a company plan & coworker's phones are normal)

Just now I restored my stock nandroid and .... same thing! No service. So I doubt it's even a modem problem.

Guys I'm screwed, any tips what settings to check etc??

tweeny80

Jul 2, 2012
OK update:

I sucked it up and decided to try restoring the EFS image I had earlier created. Mate, it worked! I have network service now.

Thanks to DrKetan. It was only because I read his advice to backup my EFS...and his advice how to restore. Very helpful bloke.

Thanks.

KevandLynds

Oct 30, 2007
I flashed a ROM yesterday and my imei changed luckily I'd copied the full efs folder to my ext_SD so I just copy and pasted it back and that worked for me once I restarted. :)

joshphilips

Mar 9, 2008
Salmiya,Kuwait
Dr.Ketan thank you for the lovely Guide . I did a backup as per your instructions. I would like to know about the aroma installer which offers a backup option when installing a Rom.I have a backup of the Same . I note that there are two files which is only 268 kb & 40 kb respectively.My question- Does this backup help & if it helps how do we restore it (backup done during aroma installer)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

universil

Jun 21, 2010
Aberdeen
I lost a lovely Galaxy Note 2 to a corrupt EFS before I even knew that such a thing could happen to a flasher of roms.

I probably have the most backed up EFS of all time, since that horrific incident.I never knew about this way , I was just using EFS proffesional, but you best be sure so I have used this method too, and uploaded the backup to Dropbox.

Many thanks dr.ketan, so many peoples saviour.

And any one who is thinking, EFS thing won't happen to me....BEWARE!!!
AND JUST DO IT!!!

tweeny80

Jul 2, 2012
You guys put back life to this thread, probably I forget even about this thread.

I came from a Nexus S phone, and flashed a lot of stuff over the years. But never once did the topic of EFS/IMEI come up. It was simply not an issue discussed in that device's XDA forums. So when I upgraded to the Note and joined these forums, I assumed I knew most of the important stuff.

I read your EFS thread and thought....hmm imagine if I ended up with a bricked phone or unusable in some way....I would be mad at myself and out of $$...so I did the backup. Far out, I am fortunate to have done so. People like you do exist in other forums - very helpful and unselfish with their time and expertise; XDA is based on the spirit of such people. Major props to you!

Reactions: dr.ketan

tongueinamow

Apr 11, 2013
Lipa City, Batangas
cannot open for read: No such file or directory

Why we need EFS backup ?

EFS folder contains some important and some basic info related to our device identity like Wi-Fi address, Bluetooth MAC address and the very main IMEI address (nv_data.bin).
Now if this EFS partition accidently corrupted then your phone’s IMEI number will get erased and you can not make voice call further. This kind of damage is often not accepted by the service center of your respected handset’s company.

Backup EFS

attachment.php

Code:
su

it will ask superSU permission, grant it (it will ask only if your superSU setting - default permission is set to 'prompt', if you have set to 'grant' it will not ask)

attachment.php

4.you will have now this

attachment.php

5.Now type below mentioned command (case sensitive) and enter

Code:

attachment.php

6.After successfull backup you will find msg as seen below in image, as well you can see 20MB file efs.img on Ext SD card

attachment.php

Now copy efs.img from Ext Sd card to safer place on pC/Laptop/media/online so you can find whenever you need it.

Restore

Make sure you have efs.img which you have got with backup, placed on Ext Sd card
Repeat step 1-4 as said above, and in step 5 you have to give below said command to restore it.

Code:

- Reboot device

Hi @dr.ketan!

i cant remember if i had backed up my efs.
but just in case, i tried this steps.

i got this message after following the backing up procedure in terminal emulator:

what should i do?
im using note 2 n7100.
thank you.

gnikolakis

Dec 8, 2011
Kalymnos, Dodecanisos
Hi @dr.ketan!

i got this message after following the backing up procedure in terminal emulator:

what should i do?
im using note 2 n7100.
thank you.

Got the same message.. im presuming you must have wrote it wrong. make sure its exactly the way dr ketan has posted. after 2 tries i was succesfull.

Reactions: Cruzfire

rq005

Nov 6, 2007
Is this method better than doing a nandrod back up using the recovery? Thanks!

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Hi @dr.ketan!

what should i do?
im using note 2 n7100.
thank you.

Got the same message.. im presuming you must have wrote it wrong. make sure its exactly the way dr ketan has posted. after 2 tries i was succesfull.

Correct there should be something wrong

Is this method better than doing a nandrod back up using the recovery? Thanks!

Both are different things

universil

Jun 21, 2010
Aberdeen

What you are most likely getting wrong, when no file found or whatever, is,

THE BIT AFTER mmcb is NOT a ONE its an L ...so l:cyclops:

Reactions: ekunagba

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why we need EFS backup ?

NEW METHOD (Updated 11Feb14)

Install this app and select backup/Restore that's it. (keep USB debugging ON). Also read play store description.

Dr.Ketan EFS Tool N7100

Video guide

OLD METHOD

Backup EFS

attachment.php

Code:
    su

attachment.php

4.you will have now this

attachment.php

5.Now type below mentioned command (case sensitive) and enter (to make this step easy from device, i have attached 5.txt (5i for backup to Int sd card) file at end, just open and select text. later you can paste to emulator to avoid spell mistake)

Code:

In case you don't have ExtSdCard and want to make backup to Int Sdcard then command should be like this

Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/storage/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096

attachment.php

attachment.php

Restore

(you can copy below command by opening R.txt file (Ri.txt for restoring from int SD )attached at end to avoid spell mistake)

Code:
    In case you restoring from IntSd card then command should be like this

Code:
    dd if=/storage/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=4096

- Reboot device

FOR SOME ROMs like AOSP mounting point is different, so in case above command doesn't work then you need to know mount point. for this do following

Follow first 4 step said above to make backup (upto grant SU permission)
    then Type

Code:
    ls /storage

This will show mounting point of storage on your device like below shown image.

attachment.php

Here storage mounting point is
    extSdCard for Ext SD card
    sdcard0 for Int Sd card
    So make changes in command accroeding your storage mount point.

Edit 28June13 : Just to report, today i have lost IMEI and got chance to restore with above said method and it work like charm.
    You doc always seek perfection ...
    Hats off with 10000000 thanks :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    I am trying my level best but sometime user reviews are disappointing. Just look to rating (In spite of thousand of download) .. :( I am unable to find reason for this then How I can improve?
    Anyway it's part of job i think for someone :p I can promise though I can feel disappointed sometime but such thing won't stop me..;)
    Now it's even more easier
    Will update op soon
    Check out "EFS Tool Samsung N7100"
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.dr.ketan.efsn7100
    That's not good idea, when you copy folder with explorer it will messup permission.

Try this

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096