Embedded SRT subtitles in mkv files are not displayed on screen - MX Player and Codec v 1.32

Search This thread
May 4, 2019
I am currently using MX Player 1.32.8 with the 1.32 version armv8 32bit of the codec - on a Sony Android 4K TV and a Huawei P20 pro - subtitles are simply not displayed anymore as long as I use this latest codec - .1.32 neon arm8.
The only thing that works is loading external subtitles.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
I've got the same issue. When I woke this morning I had to update the codec to 1.32 and now no embedded subtitles work.
MX Player Custom Codec [AC3,DTS,MLP,TRUEHD, etc..] | XDA Developers Forums (xda-developers.com)
As I posted in the link above:
What appears to work for the moment is stopping the settings for automatic apps updates from the Play Store on the Android TV and then install and use v1.26.7 with the 1.25 codec - which worked OK for me. I don't understand why the hell this app was updated if it botched the subtitle support for embedded subtitles in MKV files

Mandrake1er

Mar 5, 2021
Montgeron
MX Player Custom Codec [AC3,DTS,MLP,TRUEHD, etc..] | XDA Developers Forums (xda-developers.com)
As I posted in the link above:
What appears to work for the moment is stopping the settings for automatic apps updates from the Play Store on the Android TV and then install and use v1.26.7 with the 1.25 codec - which worked OK for me. I don't understand why the hell this app was updated if it botched the subtitle support for embedded subtitles in MKV files

What also works is to install the last version of MX player and force it to use the 1.25.0 codec (only by renaming the files inside the aio zipped codec version '1.25.0' by '1.32.0') ...
The problem with embedded subtitles comes from 1.32.0 codec, not from the app.

To be clear :
- Download 1.25.0 aio zipped codec
- Rename the files '1.25.0' by '1.32.0' inside the zipped file
- Use this codec with the last version of MX Player

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
What also works is to install the last version of MX player and force it to use the 1.25.0 codec (only by renaming the files inside the aio zipped codec version '1.25.0' by '1.32.0') ...

To be clear :
Do not insult my intelligence. Don't you think I tried that already??!! Just because it works for you on your device, it does not mean it works for everybody else. So stop recommending it. I have a Sony 4K Android TV and if I install the 1.32 version of the app, it DOES NOT ACCEPT version 1.25 of the codec (as it is, renamed in archives or as a renamed direct file). It keeps asking for the new version - and the new version does not work well with the subtitles. Period. The codec compiler needs to work better on the ARM V 7 NEON version of this codec or else we get stuck with this irritating issue.

Mandrake1er

Mar 5, 2021
Montgeron
You should keep calm and relax. I just try to help you.
Because of my 'intelligence', I don't understand your reply.
Could you just be more precise describing what you exactly do ?
I can understand that it's very frustrating for you. Let's try to find a fix together.

Last edited:

Mandrake1er

Mar 5, 2021
Montgeron
Personally, I use MX Player (free version) 1.34.5 (ARMv7 NEON, custom codec 1.32.0) on an Android 10 TV Box.
Using original 1.32.0 codec, I couldn't see embedded subtitles, but forcing use of 1.25.0 codec solved the problem.

Last edited:

Mandrake1er

Mar 5, 2021
Montgeron
My understanding of the app asking for the new version of the codec is that you need to use files with 1.32.0 names. It works for me (using 1.25.0 version and cheating that it's 1.32.0 version).
And you're right, it can work for me and not for the others.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
Clearly, it's a waste of time for me to explain again - I have used the 1.2.5 aio zip and file - renamed the files inside it to 1.32 and the player DID NOT accept the codec files - it kept asking for the new version of the codec - the app figured out the files have been merely renamed and not compiled as a new version - which can only mean that there is also an internal code in the file that specifies the codec version - it's not just in the name of the file. I am not a n00b - in my device, the player just refuses to work with or install the old codec on the new version 1.32.8 of the player.
It's not your fault, but I wish the codec compiler did a better job about all the files in the archive.

Mandrake1er

Mar 5, 2021
Montgeron
OK. Understood.
I guess 1.32.8 is the last version of the PRO player.
Perhaps, you could temporarily try to use the version 1.34.5 of the free player (apparently no limitations).

Last edited:

Mandrake1er

Mar 5, 2021
Montgeron
As the solution works also for the 1.32.8 version of the PRO player on some devices, I assume that the use of the version 1.34.5 of the free player could probably fail on your device ...

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
Why in the hell would I use the free version when I paid for PRO? As I said in my previous post - on my system - I am able to use the pro version 1.26.7 with the 1.25 version of the codec - I disabled the automatic updates and everything just works fine, like it did before the ****ty update. I like tech stuff, but my demanding job does not give me enough time to waste - so I'll probably try to check later versions of the app and codec. I now enjoy my MKVs as I used to, with embedded subtitles and all, so I'll stick to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule for now. The only change in my usage of the player that I could see was that I no longer could see subtitles, everything else was pretty much the same.

I also understand that you wanted to help, thanks, but you need to be aware that not all systems work alike. As for the file renaming - I tried renaming the files, 4 methods -

1. extracting the files, rename and repack
2. rename the files directly in the zip archive with either Total Commander or WinRAR in PC.
3. extract and use the exact codec file that my TV needs for the player
4. rename the file directly in FX explorer on my TV
All failed. As I said before - ARM 7 NEON version the codec has been neglected by the codec compiler - that guy needs to update all the files the right way. If he did that the proper way from the get-go, this thread or other replies like mine in his thread would simply not exist.

levicanales

Mar 14, 2021

To be clear :
I only register in this page only for say, that thing works for me, excuse my English.
I only rename the archive inside the zip of mx_neon64 directly with x-plore and works, thank you for your answer.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone