• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

EMUI 5 Beta

Search This thread

Syssx

Aug 16, 2013
So I've looked on HW P9 Android 7 beta and it looks very cool. Will there be a Honor 8 beta ? If so where can we apply/participate for it ? Thanks!

jerryhou85

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So I've looked on HW P9 Android 7 beta and it looks very cool. Will there be a Honor 8 beta ? If so where can we apply/participate for it ? Thanks!
I think so far HUAWEI is still busy with EMUI4.1 (Android 6) on Honor 8 according to their Chinese EMUI forum... There will be an option in future if you want to be a beta tester. :)

XePeleato

Mar 19, 2016
Madrid
You should be able to across flash the p9 image onto the honor 8. The SOC is the same. I have the honor 5c and have flashed the p9 lite ROM onto it

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Here is a little guide i done up for porting to rom onto a 5c, will work the same for all honor roms
http://forum.xda-developers.com/hon...de-porting-5c-models-p9-lite-roms-5c-t3444021

Honor 8: Kirin 950
P9: Kirin 955

It's like the Huawei P8 Lite and the Honor 4C, the roms (even CM) and kernels are compatible, but I don't think it will work if the SoC is different.

Reactions: Honor UK (Verified)

hackslash

Recognized Contributor
Feb 20, 2015
Islamabad
Redmi K20 Pro
Think they're essentially the same, just a different clock speed on four cores?

They are the same. Kirin 950 is an underclocked version of Kirin 955. Apart from that everything same but don't expect P9 ROMs to work on Honor 8. There are many differences in Hardware such as Leica dual camera setup on P9 is different from the setup in Honor 8. That's only one difference to name. Both devices are completely different and you should not attempt to crossflash firmwares between them.

troublecro

Mar 7, 2010
Zagreb
Leica has nothing to do with lens. They just signed on post-processing algo(on SW side) and Huaweii got a marketing name next to its lens.

Looking at details of cameras on P9 & H8 they are pretty much the same.

Manufacturer of lenses in P9 is Sunny Optical.

In practice it's tough to tell how much of difference that second sensor makes to pictures without being able to disable it entirely, just as it's difficult to tell exactly how much involvement Leica has had beyond slapping its logo on the back of the phone. Indeed, the camera sensor on the P9 is in fact made by Sunny Optical, a Chinese smartphone camera manufacturer—Leica merely certified the module.

Huawei later provided additional information, saying the P9's camera module had been certified by Leica but the German company had not been involved in development or production of the optics.

You will see no mention of the P9 or Huawei on Leica's website, not even in the Press Releases which again suggests this was a licensing deal and not a co-opreration or partnership of any kind.

So aside from downclocked CPU i think rest is pretty much the same. But that is to be verified by complete breakdown of phone...if there is any posted online.

Last edited:
Reactions: GentTechno

vsriram92

Dec 27, 2014
chennai

Currently Huawei is working on pushing EMUI 4.1 to maximum number of devices including VoLTE update. Once that is completed, hopefully they will start working in EMUI 5. Beta Testing for EMUI 5 starts somewhere around DEC 2016 in UK. Last year Honor 7 got started Beta testing invitation by December. Hopefully Honor 8 will having the same timeline or even before.

Stay tuned to https://club.hihonor.com/ for Beta Testing update for your region.

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
On pocketnow review, except that the second lens isn't monochrome and no leica branding
It's the same camera hardware. One RGB, one B&W. Just no Leica branding and some features left out.

The hardware inside is going to be identical, bar the screen and SoC. The H8 is otherwise the dual SIM version of the 4GB RAM P9, encased in glass.

Reactions: vsriram92

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
It's the same camera hardware. One RGB, one B&W. Just no Leica branding and some features left out.

The hardware inside is going to be identical, bar the screen and SoC. The H8 is otherwise the dual SIM version of the 4GB RAM P9, encased in glass.
Thanks for the Info

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Then it's not the same
You're right

vsriram92

Dec 27, 2014
chennai
I think so far HUAWEI is still busy with EMUI4.1 (Android 6) on Honor 8 according to their Chinese EMUI forum...
Seems that EMUI 5 is gonna release on November 3 on Germany.
emui_5.png

Reactions: denism81

evilpaul13

Oct 8, 2016
The version 5.0 of the HiSuite software update was available and I installed it a two or three days ago and the Engrish release notes said something about "Support for upcoming 5.0" which I assumed was referring to EMUI. I'll have to look through the image files in the install directory to see if any look new/different, but the app itself still looks the same.

HonorUSA_Noah

Aug 22, 2016
Honor is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers. From this year, we are making a commitment to provide customers with access to new features (at least once every three months during the first 12 months) for up to 24 months following each product launch. We will keep providing access to security, EMUI, and software updates to fix bugs and enhance user experience in a timely manner. Beyond this period, we will continue to provide updates in response to any threats to user safety and security. Our goal is to ensure customers have the best and safest possible experience on their Honor device. Please be patient as the new EMUI update will be coming soon. (NS)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honor is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers. From this year, we are making a commitment to provide customers with access to new features (at least once every three months during the first 12 months) for up to 24 months following each product launch. We will keep providing access to security, EMUI, and software updates to fix bugs and enhance user experience in a timely manner. Beyond this period, we will continue to provide updates in response to any threats to user safety and security. Our goal is to ensure customers have the best and safest possible experience on their Honor device. Please be patient as the new EMUI update will be coming soon. (NS)
    You should be able to across flash the p9 image onto the honor 8. The SOC is the same. I have the honor 5c and have flashed the p9 lite ROM onto it

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Here is a little guide i done up for porting to rom onto a 5c, will work the same for all honor roms
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/hon...de-porting-5c-models-p9-lite-roms-5c-t3444021

Honor 8: Kirin 950
    P9: Kirin 955

It's like the Huawei P8 Lite and the Honor 4C, the roms (even CM) and kernels are compatible, but I don't think it will work if the SoC is different.
    Leica has nothing to do with lens. They just signed on post-processing algo(on SW side) and Huaweii got a marketing name next to its lens.

Looking at details of cameras on P9 & H8 they are pretty much the same.

Manufacturer of lenses in P9 is Sunny Optical.

In practice it's tough to tell how much of difference that second sensor makes to pictures without being able to disable it entirely, just as it's difficult to tell exactly how much involvement Leica has had beyond slapping its logo on the back of the phone. Indeed, the camera sensor on the P9 is in fact made by Sunny Optical, a Chinese smartphone camera manufacturer—Leica merely certified the module.

Huawei later provided additional information, saying the P9's camera module had been certified by Leica but the German company had not been involved in development or production of the optics.

You will see no mention of the P9 or Huawei on Leica's website, not even in the Press Releases which again suggests this was a licensing deal and not a co-opreration or partnership of any kind.

So aside from downclocked CPU i think rest is pretty much the same. But that is to be verified by complete breakdown of phone...if there is any posted online.
    On pocketnow review, except that the second lens isn't monochrome and no leica branding

I think so far HUAWEI is still busy with EMUI4.1 (Android 6) on Honor 8 according to their Chinese EMUI forum...
    Seems that EMUI 5 is gonna release on November 3 on Germany.
    emui_5.png