EMUI 8.1 custom Themes issues (partially incompatible with EMUI 8.0 themes)

Search This thread

mr.mrcn

Jul 28, 2014
Lhasa
Hi,

This thread is to report custom themes issues - as I noticed currently available themes (working fine on EMUI 8.0 phones) are partially incompatible with EMUI 8.1 on our P20 phones.

Known issues (EMUI 8.1 vs EMUI 8.0):
- sms app is no longer supported (there is no longer Huawei sms app - Google Messages instead, completly inconsistent with EMUI design...)
- some (not all) custom screen locks are not working
- custom settings menu icons are not visible (only default ones)
- general issue with non-system app icons - most of them are not changing with theme (even if there is custom icon inside theme)
- custom status bar and notifications are not working

I received my P20 today, so i'll update above list during my tests. If you notice any not listed issue - let me know, i will add it.

I'll try to find a solutions for that issues - but of course any help is appreciated :)

Last edited:

mushtafa

Aug 19, 2011
West Sussex, UK
Life saver!

I've been playing around with the themes and noticed my notifications had disappeared from the lock screen. I had assumed it was another setting I'd changed by mistake, but couldn't find what I'd done.

Found this thread last night, stuck the theme back to Romance, and the notifications are back!

mr.mrcn

Jul 28, 2014
Lhasa
Life saver!

I've been playing around with the themes and noticed my notifications had disappeared from the lock screen. I had assumed it was another setting I'd changed by mistake, but couldn't find what I'd done.

Found this thread last night, stuck the theme back to Romance, and the notifications are back!

But you can use custom theme with standard lock screen - and notifcations should appear :)

Reactions: HUAWEI P20

Syph0nX

Apr 20, 2012
Cape Town
Any custom lockscreens that work with notifications? I tried a few but none display spotify lockscreen controls. I ask because I'd prefer a lockscreen with the clock at the top instead of the bottom like the magazine theme.

mr.mrcn

Jul 28, 2014
Lhasa
Any custom lockscreens that work with notifications? I tried a few but none display spotify lockscreen controls. I ask because I'd prefer a lockscreen with the clock at the top instead of the bottom like the magazine theme.

Try lockscreen from my SimpleP theme - there is a clock in the top and spotify controls work :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180423-232302.jpg
    Screenshot_20180423-232302.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6,040

jshooter

May 14, 2005
I have the same problem. I tried some custom themes and now, no matter what theme I choose, notifications won't expand, I can only read notification first line. And yes, with some custom themes, notifications won't show at all.
@mr.mrcn I can't find SimpleP theme :(

Last edited:

mr.mrcn

Jul 28, 2014
Lhasa
I have the same problem. I tried some custom themes and now, no matter what theme I choose, notifications won't extend, I can only read notification first line. And yes, with some custom themes, notifications won't show at all.

It is in my app (link is in the signature). But notifications in this lock screen don't expand either.

Reactions: jshooter

rawdealer

Mar 17, 2011
District 1
- general issue with non-system app icons - most of them are not changing with theme (even if there is custom icon inside theme)

Not quite true, in my theme are all icons changed, and some other stuff too. I don't have much time to look around, but some paths of icons are different from previous versions. Will try with png's and new folder paths. ???

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-25-21-03-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-25-21-03-48.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 3,092
  • Screenshot_20180421-231152.jpg
    Screenshot_20180421-231152.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 3,122

mr.mrcn

Jul 28, 2014
Lhasa
Not quite true, in my theme are all icons changed, and some other stuff too. I don't have much time to look around, but some paths of icons are different from previous versions. Will try with png's and new folder paths.

Because all icons are round and there is no special mask in this icon pack :) Look at my screenshot - there is a mask, but for unknown reason is not applied to some icons (like gmail, slack, whatsapp..), but for other it is (facebook, telegram..).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180425-220050.jpg
    Screenshot_20180425-220050.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 3,461

rawdealer

Mar 17, 2011
District 1
Because all icons are round and there is no special mask in this icon pack :) Look at my screenshot - there is a mask, but for unknown reason is not applied to some icons (like gmail, slack, whatsapp..), but for other it is (facebook, telegram..).

If you like it that way..... :cowboy:

Last edited:

vinci_giordi__

Apr 28, 2018
I think not..they would not include a theme engine if they do not want customers to change the look of it..but that is my opinion
You can still change UI colors and drawer icons... Maybe they just want you to do it/they want developers to optimize their themes for the p20/p20 pro before allowing them to change navbar icons/notification tab icons and stuff, at least imo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

This thread is to report custom themes issues - as I noticed currently available themes (working fine on EMUI 8.0 phones) are partially incompatible with EMUI 8.1 on our P20 phones.

Known issues (EMUI 8.1 vs EMUI 8.0):
    - sms app is no longer supported (there is no longer Huawei sms app - Google Messages instead, completly inconsistent with EMUI design...)
    - some (not all) custom screen locks are not working
    - custom settings menu icons are not visible (only default ones)
    - custom status bar and notifications are not working

I received my P20 today, so i'll update above list during my tests. If you notice any not listed issue - let me know, i will add it.

I'll try to find a solutions for that issues - but of course any help is appreciated :)
    EMUI 8.1 ignores all xml images in custom themes, they are displayed by default.
    Can you please share this theme? I love these icons!

Here you go.

https://kn3v2.app.goo.gl/He7z8SFKZHptdhcu2
    Life saver!

But you can use custom theme with standard lock screen - and notifcations should appear :)
    I have the same problem. I tried some custom themes and now, no matter what theme I choose, notifications won't extend, I can only read notification first line. And yes, with some custom themes, notifications won't show at all.

It is in my app (link is in the signature). But notifications in this lock screen don't expand either.