Enable/Activate Lens Flare (Light) Or Particle effect on Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0

Search This thread

amk19

Jul 3, 2014
Bangalore
Hi all, I am a newbie and this thread is about enabling the Light effect or Particle effect on Note 3 Kitkat LockScreen.

My Note 3 details:
Variant: SM-N9005,
ROM: Stock odexed ROM-rooted,
Firmware: N9005XXUGNG1,
Region: BTU.

Please check this post for Galaxy Note 8.0 Post-31

Thanks @Cheico --> updating for NB1 firmware.

Their might be other ways to implement it. but I am writing the steps which I have followed.
You Need:
1. Windows PC.
2. JRE installed.
3. Download the required tools from here. You can get the latest aapt.exe here, apktool.jar here, baksmali.jar and smali.jar files here

So here is the step by step guide on how to do it.
1. Copy framework folder (/system/framework) from your phone to C:\apktool\system\framework folder of your PC, and Keyguard.apk, Keyguard.odex files from your phone (/system/priv-app) to C:\apktool folder of your PC.
2. baksmali the Keyguard.odex present in C:\apktool folder using the command
Code:
[/B][B][COLOR="Red"]java -jar baksmali.jar -d C:\apktool\system\framework -x Keyguard.odex[/COLOR][/B]

-d path of directory where framework files are placed.​
-x target .odex file (in our case it's Keyguard.odex)​
3. Once command is completed, you will see a folder named out .
4. Navigate to C:\apktool\out\com\android\keyguard\sec, and open the file KeyguardEffectViewMain.smali.
5. Open the file and search for .line 254 , for NB1 firmware please search for .line 244
Code:
[/B][B]
.line 254 (.line 244 for NB1 firmware)
    iget-object v0, p0, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain;->mForegroundTypeMapping:Ljava/util/HashMap;

invoke-static {v5}, Ljava/lang/Integer;->valueOf(I)Ljava/lang/Integer;

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="Red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->[COLOR="Blue"]circle[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;[/COLOR]

invoke-virtual {v0, v1, v2}, Ljava/util/HashMap;->put(Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object;
[/B]

6. Change the red line to, as shown below for getting Lens Flare Effect instead of Circle Effect.
Code:
[/B][B]
    iget-object v0, p0, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain;->mForegroundTypeMapping:Ljava/util/HashMap;

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="Red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->[COLOR="Blue"]lens[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;[/COLOR]

invoke-virtual {v0, v1, v2}, Ljava/util/HashMap;->put(Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object;
[/B]

7. For getting Particle effect, search for .line 253, or ( .line 243 for NB1 firmware ) and make the changes in the code as shown below, you just have to replace wallpaper with particle and circle with particle, as shown below for getting Particle Effect instead of Circle Effect.
Code:
[/B][B]
.line 253 (.line 243 for NB1 firmware)
    iget-object v0, p0, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain;->mBackgroundTypeMapping:Ljava/util/HashMap;

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;->[COLOR="Blue"]particle[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;[/COLOR]

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="Red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->[COLOR="Blue"]particle[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;[/COLOR]

[/B]

8. Once changes are done, smali the out folder present in C:\apktool using the command
Code:
[/B][B][COLOR="Red"]java -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex out[/COLOR][/B]

-o the name of newly created .dex file.​
out is the folder name.​
9. Once you see the classes.dex file in the folder, then push this .dex file into Keyguard.apk file using the command
Code:
[/B][B][COLOR="Red"]aapt add Keyguard.apk classes.dex[/COLOR][/B]

10. After the command in Step 9, Size of apk file should increase, Now Zipalign the apk using the command.
Code:
[/B][B][COLOR="Red"]zipalign -fv 4 Keyguard.apk Keyguard_new.apk[/COLOR][/B]

11. Now you will see a new apk file named "Keyguard_new.apk", Copy the Keyguard_new.apk to your phone and rename it to Keyguard.apk, This is deodexed .apk file, and you can directly push this apk into your phone path /system/priv-app using RootExplorer and set the permission to rw-r--r--, and delete the Keyguard.odex file from the framework folder.

Restart the phone, and select unlock effect to none.

12. If you want to create the Keyguard.odex file from the Keyguard.apk file then their are few more steps, which involves Terminal Emulator, but this apk will work fine, please delete or remove the Keyguard.odex file from the system/priv-app folder and keep only Keyguard.apk, because this apk is deodexed and working fine for me.

Snapshots:
Lens Flare Effect
Particles Effect

Download Flashable zip for latest NI4 firmware from here by Stavr0s91i
Thanks @Stavr0s91i

See here for enabling various unlock effects on Galaxy Note 8.0 running 4.4.2 Kitkat.
Thanks @jazzespresso

P.S: Sound will not come as expected for Particle effect, Working Perfect for LensFlare Effect.
You can edit the sound files as per your wish in /system/media/audio/ui folder of your phone.

For enabling Ripple ink effect with fingers or without S-pen, check out here...

Hit THANKS button, If I helped You.​

Last edited:

hakan_710

Nov 22, 2012
Antalya
thanks a lot for your guide. Circle effect is working on N9000Q with stock XXUENG4 odexed rom but particle effect not working.

Last edited:

amk19

Jul 3, 2014
Bangalore
Circle effect is default when you select "none" as unlock effect from Setting.
In order to get lens flare or particles effect you have to do the steps mentioned in OP.
This will work only when you are using normal wallpaper as background and not live wallpaper or live theme.
For me both particles and lens flare effect is working.

djsonoman

Jul 3, 2012
Buenos Aires
Lens flare is working great on my stock odexed PHE N9005XXUGNG1 rooted SM-N9005. :victory:

Particle effect not working. It seems that force close systemui. :(

9fwbhh.jpg

Last edited:

hakan_710

Nov 22, 2012
Antalya
I am Sorry guys. :(
It's my mistake.

Thread updated.. Now it should work for particle effect as well.. :)
Thanks..

P.S: Either Particle or Lens flare effect will work, but not both at the same time....

@djsonoman
@hakan_710
it's working perfect now. Thank u so much bro. please look my attachment is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-25-19-42-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-25-19-42-55.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

chieco

Jul 6, 2011
It should work for all the Note 3 firmware.
You can try. I am sure it will work.
Thanks

I can't get it to work! :crying:
Can it be that it doesn't work on NB1?
Please take a look @ my KeyguardEffectViewMain.smali the .line 253/.line 254 are totally different in mine!

Code:
.line 253
    iget-object v0, p0, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain;->mBackgroundTypeMapping:Ljava/util/HashMap;

invoke-static {v3}, Ljava/lang/Integer;->valueOf(I)Ljava/lang/Integer;

move-result-object v1

sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;->ripple:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;

.line 254

move-result-object v1

sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->none:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;

I also only have the LockScreen Effects None/Watercolor/Ripple no Circle Effect! I really want the Particle Effect.
I've uploaded my KeyguardEffectViewMain.smali for u it would be nice if you could have a look at it.
Can't you just upload ur Keyguard.apk that's already have been edited?

Thanks a lot,:good:

Attachments

• KeyguardEffectViewMain.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 15

amk19

Jul 3, 2014
Bangalore
Please take a look @ my KeyguardEffectViewMain.smali the .line 253/.line 254 are totally different in mine!

Code:
.line 253

move-result-object v1

sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;->ripple:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;

.line 254

move-result-object v1

sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->none:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;

I also only have the LockScreen Effects None/Watercolor/Ripple no Circle Effect! I really want the Particle Effect.
I've uploaded my KeyguardEffectViewMain.smali for u it would be nice if you could have a look at it.

Sure. I can do it for you.
Give some time...

Please find the attached file.
I have edited for both lens Flare Effect and Particles Effect.
You were right.
For NB1 firmware, we should search for .line 244 For getting lens Flare Effect and .line 243 For getting particle effect.

I have updated this information in first post. :)

Thank you @Cheico ...

Attachments

• KeyguardEffectViewMain.zip
    16 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: chieco and Kamy

chieco

Jul 6, 2011
Give some time...

You were right.
For NB1 firmware, we should search for .line 244 For getting lens Flare Effect and .line 243 For getting particle effect.

Thank you @Cheico ...

Thank you Very Much! Now it works and I'm really happy because I liked this Particle effect since I saw it for the first time on a S5. Same with the WaterColor effect it was the reason why I sold my S4 and got a Note 3 :D and now after seeing the Abstract tiles effect on the Note 4 I want that :laugh: I hope someone ports that for our Note 3. Someone mentioned that it's inclueded on the newest korean Firmware for the S5.

By the way ur first Post where u explain everything is just awesome and I think better then a flashable .zip! Because my Keyguard.apk is modded and a .zip would just mess things up and this way even people like me who don't have costum recovery can use this mod. And u provided everything that is needed and explained everything really well! I just opened the terminal and copy&pasted ur commands which only takes 1-2 minutes and I'm done!

But I would ask u something else. Is it possible to get rid of the zoom when I touch the screen? The Wallpaper and all ellements on the Screen zoom in if I touch the screen. Is that the Parallox effect that u mentioned earlier? I don't get a weird looking box or anything everything pops out a bit and I think on the S5 this doesn't happen.

Anyways Thank you very much again u are the Best.:good:

amk19

Jul 3, 2014
Bangalore
Thank you Very Much! Now it works and I'm really happy because I liked this Particle effect since I saw it for the first time on a S5. Same with the WaterColor effect it was the reason why I sold my S4 and got a Note 3 :D and now after seeing the Abstract tiles effect on the Note 4 I want that :laugh: I hope someone ports that for our Note 3. Someone mentioned that it's inclueded on the newest korean Firmware for the S5.

By the way ur first Post where u explain everything is just awesome and I think better then a flashable .zip! Because my Keyguard.apk is modded and a .zip would just mess things up and this way even people like me who don't have costum recovery can use this mod. And u provided everything that is needed and explained everything really well! I just opened the terminal and copy&pasted ur commands which only takes 1-2 minutes and I'm done!

But I would ask u something else. Is it possible to get rid of the zoom when I touch the screen? The Wallpaper and all ellements on the Screen zoom in if I touch the screen. Is that the Parallox effect that u mentioned earlier? I don't get a weird looking box or anything everything pops out a bit and I think on the S5 this doesn't happen.

Anyways Thank you very much again u are the Best.:good:

Thanks. :)
Yeah. That's the Parallox effect. And in Galaxy S5 that's optional. You can enable or disable the Parallox effect from S5 lockscreen settings....
But for Note 3, I didn't looked into smali files in details. So I don't know how to disable Parallox effect.
Anyway, when I get time surely I'll try to find out how to disable Parallox effect.

Happy to help you. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all, I am a newbie and this thread is about enabling the Light effect or Particle effect on Note 3 Kitkat LockScreen.

My Note 3 details:
    Variant: SM-N9005,
    ROM: Stock odexed ROM-rooted,
    Firmware: N9005XXUGNG1,
    Region: BTU.

Please check this post for Galaxy Note 8.0 Post-31

Thanks @Cheico --> updating for NB1 firmware.

Their might be other ways to implement it. but I am writing the steps which I have followed.
    You Need:
    1. Windows PC.
    2. JRE installed.
    3. Download the required tools from here. You can get the latest aapt.exe here, apktool.jar here, baksmali.jar and smali.jar files here

So here is the step by step guide on how to do it.
    1. Copy framework folder (/system/framework) from your phone to C:\apktool\system\framework folder of your PC, and Keyguard.apk, Keyguard.odex files from your phone (/system/priv-app) to C:\apktool folder of your PC.
    2. baksmali the Keyguard.odex present in C:\apktool folder using the command
    Code:
    [/B][B][COLOR="Red"]java -jar baksmali.jar -d C:\apktool\system\framework -x Keyguard.odex[/COLOR][/B]

-d path of directory where framework files are placed.​
    -x target .odex file (in our case it's Keyguard.odex)​
    3. Once command is completed, you will see a folder named out .
    4. Navigate to C:\apktool\out\com\android\keyguard\sec, and open the file KeyguardEffectViewMain.smali.
    5. Open the file and search for .line 254 , for NB1 firmware please search for .line 244
    Code:
    [/B][B]

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="Red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->[COLOR="Blue"]circle[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;[/COLOR]

[/B]

6. Change the red line to, as shown below for getting Lens Flare Effect instead of Circle Effect.
    Code:
    [/B][B]

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="Red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->[COLOR="Blue"]lens[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;[/COLOR]

[/B]

7. For getting Particle effect, search for .line 253, or ( .line 243 for NB1 firmware ) and make the changes in the code as shown below, you just have to replace wallpaper with particle and circle with particle, as shown below for getting Particle Effect instead of Circle Effect.
    Code:
    [/B][B]
    .line 253 (.line 243 for NB1 firmware)

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;->[COLOR="Blue"]particle[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Background;[/COLOR]

move-result-object v1

[COLOR="Red"]sget-object v2, Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;->[COLOR="Blue"]particle[/COLOR]:Lcom/android/keyguard/sec/KeyguardEffectViewMain$Foreground;[/COLOR]

[/B]

8. Once changes are done, smali the out folder present in C:\apktool using the command
    Code:
    [/B][B][COLOR="Red"]java -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex out[/COLOR][/B]

-o the name of newly created .dex file.​
    out is the folder name.​
    9. Once you see the classes.dex file in the folder, then push this .dex file into Keyguard.apk file using the command
    Code:
    [/B][B][COLOR="Red"]aapt add Keyguard.apk classes.dex[/COLOR][/B]

10. After the command in Step 9, Size of apk file should increase, Now Zipalign the apk using the command.
    Code:
    [/B][B][COLOR="Red"]zipalign -fv 4 Keyguard.apk Keyguard_new.apk[/COLOR][/B]

11. Now you will see a new apk file named "Keyguard_new.apk", Copy the Keyguard_new.apk to your phone and rename it to Keyguard.apk, This is deodexed .apk file, and you can directly push this apk into your phone path /system/priv-app using RootExplorer and set the permission to rw-r--r--, and delete the Keyguard.odex file from the framework folder.

Restart the phone, and select unlock effect to none.

12. If you want to create the Keyguard.odex file from the Keyguard.apk file then their are few more steps, which involves Terminal Emulator, but this apk will work fine, please delete or remove the Keyguard.odex file from the system/priv-app folder and keep only Keyguard.apk, because this apk is deodexed and working fine for me.

Snapshots:
    Lens Flare Effect
    Particles Effect

Download Flashable zip for latest NI4 firmware from here by Stavr0s91i
    Thanks @Stavr0s91i

See here for enabling various unlock effects on Galaxy Note 8.0 running 4.4.2 Kitkat.
    Thanks @jazzespresso

P.S: Sound will not come as expected for Particle effect, Working Perfect for LensFlare Effect.
    You can edit the sound files as per your wish in /system/media/audio/ui folder of your phone.

For enabling Ripple ink effect with fingers or without S-pen, check out here...

Hit THANKS button, If I helped You.​
    i tried again. lens effect working perfect but particle efect give fc system ui. thanks for your help

I am Sorry guys. :(
    It's my mistake.

Thread updated.. Now it should work for particle effect as well.. :)
    Thanks..

P.S: Either Particle or Lens flare effect will work, but not both at the same time....

@djsonoman
    @hakan_710

Code:
    .line 253

move-result-object v1

.line 254

move-result-object v1

Give some time...

You were right.

Thank you @Cheico ...
    Hey guys,liked this mod so i went ahead and modded latest keyguard and made an update zip.
    Should work with latest firmware tested it on NI4.Make sure to backup.(beware this is for deodexed roms,if your using an odex one you need to delete keyguard.odex file first.
    Cheers

View attachment 2997091
    Lens flare is working great on my stock odexed PHE N9005XXUGNG1 rooted SM-N9005. :victory:

Particle effect not working. It seems that force close systemui. :(

9fwbhh.jpg

Please check out the updated post, It should work now. :)