• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Enable Always On Display on Pixel XL Android Pie - Magisk

Search This thread

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
This is actually relatively simple, and has worked with every update on Oreo.

Use at your own risk, while it's unlikely something like this will brick your device, I take no responsibility if anything happens. Always know how to get yourself out of a bootloop. The APKs and Magisk module posted by others should be fine, however feel free to extract the APK yourself from the Pixel 2/3 factory images.

Download the APK here (or extract it from the Pixel 2/XL's P DP1 factory image), install TWRP and Magisk (I used v16). Use a file manager with root permissions, I used ES file manager. Copy Framework-res__auto_generated.apk from here to System/Vendor/Overlay/ and overwrite (you could also copy the original somewhere if you wanted a backup). SystemUI will crash or the phone will reboot. Due to this, apps will constantly be crashing, to fix this, open up the file manager again and set the permissions correctly.

(Incase anyone is curious why I don't have a navbar, I removed it with a buildprop edit, I'm a bit nervous about burn in, and that way I can avoid it. Also, AOD moves around slowly)

Based on what I've seen with the leaks from the Pixel 3, it may be this simple to get the AOD with a wallpaper when we get the file from the Pixel 3 XL. But then again, I'm not a developer, so maybe not. But I'm glad this is still working for now!

APKs are posted by various users here, once I get access to my PC I'll be sure to post them in chronological order every time a update is put out.

Magisk module here https:/forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/themes/mod-display-enabler-magisk-module-t3857034

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180309-002749.png
    Screenshot_20180309-002749.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 5,301
  • Screenshot_20180309-002759.png
    Screenshot_20180309-002759.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 5,446
  • Screenshot_20180309-002837.png
    Screenshot_20180309-002837.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 5,278
  • IMG_-mmhd2q.jpg
    IMG_-mmhd2q.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 5,111
Last edited:

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
Doesn't work for me. Everytime I navigate to root folder, it comes up blank
Did you install Magisk via TWRP? Only other thing I can think of, is going back to 8.1, rooting and giving the file manager root permissions, then flashing P (as a update, without wiping data) then flashing Magisk again. Then opening the file manager, it will already be able to use root permissions. It seems like it's just the Magisk app that is broken, not root itself.

Last edited:

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Did you install Magisk via TWRP? Only other thing I can think of, is going back to 8.1, rooting and giving the file manager root permissions, then flashing Oreo (as a update, without wiping data) then flashing Magisk again. Then opening the file manager, it will already be able to use root permissions. It seems like it's just the Magisk app that is broken, not root itself.
Yeah. It's not so serious to do all that work lol. I'm sure a real solution will come soon, but thank you

Reactions: YTSec

reddv1

Sep 16, 2009
Torrance, CA
Tried this on Android O March 2018, extracted the file from Pixel 2 XL factory images, but I'm not getting the option in setting.

Do I have to do anything else other than copy file and set permissions?

Edit: Read your other thread, and did it through TWRP file manager as I don't have root. I guess it only works using a file manager with root while booted.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hopefully someone can pull the APK from the new beta, unfortunately I still have no wifi and am unable to do so. Thanks in advance!

Here you go buddy. Tested and working. Pulled from PXL2 P DP3.
    This is actually relatively simple, and has worked with every update on Oreo.

Use at your own risk, while it's unlikely something like this will brick your device, I take no responsibility if anything happens. Always know how to get yourself out of a bootloop. The APKs and Magisk module posted by others should be fine, however feel free to extract the APK yourself from the Pixel 2/3 factory images.

Download the APK here (or extract it from the Pixel 2/XL's P DP1 factory image), install TWRP and Magisk (I used v16). Use a file manager with root permissions, I used ES file manager. Copy Framework-res__auto_generated.apk from here to System/Vendor/Overlay/ and overwrite (you could also copy the original somewhere if you wanted a backup). SystemUI will crash or the phone will reboot. Due to this, apps will constantly be crashing, to fix this, open up the file manager again and set the permissions correctly.

(Incase anyone is curious why I don't have a navbar, I removed it with a buildprop edit, I'm a bit nervous about burn in, and that way I can avoid it. Also, AOD moves around slowly)

Based on what I've seen with the leaks from the Pixel 3, it may be this simple to get the AOD with a wallpaper when we get the file from the Pixel 3 XL. But then again, I'm not a developer, so maybe not. But I'm glad this is still working for now!

APKs are posted by various users here, once I get access to my PC I'll be sure to post them in chronological order every time a update is put out.

Magisk module here https:/forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/themes/mod-display-enabler-magisk-module-t3857034
    Tried the latest APK sent in this thread and created a simple Magisk module. Feel free to try it out on your Pixel XL.

One thing I noticed was that after overriding the overlay apk, sRGB is not working. Also, the images in the AOD when using the Pixel 3 live wallpapers does not stick for long (around 20 seconds). I am not sure if it was the intended behavior or a bug.
    Can someone pull the APK from DP4? Some were saying with DP3 they had issues, I'm clean installing DP4 so we'll see if they are a problem with DP4.

Here you go. Tested and working on a dirty flash from dp3->dp4
    Here you go, from PXL2, DP5. Tested and working.