• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Enable Always On Display on Pixel XL Android Pie - Magisk

Search This thread

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
I can't seem to get AOD to persist after a reboot anymore. Anyone else having similar problems?
I noticed someone say that a few pages back. I haven't been able to try out the official P release yet though. But it's possible it's in relation to a clean flash instead of a update. For me, I have updated to every P release. Once I get access to my PC I'll try out the official P release and see if it works for me.

sybaek

Oct 18, 2007
I noticed someone say that a few pages back. I haven't been able to try out the official P release yet though. But it's possible it's in relation to a clean flash instead of a update. For me, I have updated to every P release. Once I get access to my PC I'll try out the official P release and see if it works for me.

I had the same problem when I did a dirty flash from DP4 to DP5 a few days ago, but I was able to get AOD working by simply doing a clean flash.

I thought it may be the same issue, so I did a clean flash this time to the latest release, but I'm still having no luck. I'm able to have it working until I do a reboot, then it appears the apk reverts itself.

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
I had the same problem when I did a dirty flash from DP4 to DP5 a few days ago, but I was able to get AOD working by simply doing a clean flash.

I thought it may be the same issue, so I did a clean flash this time to the latest release, but I'm still having no luck. I'm able to have it working until I do a reboot, then it appears the apk reverts itself.
That's really odd, I wonder if the substratum way would still work.

sybaek

Oct 18, 2007
Like I said I was mostly posting to see if anyone else was having the same issue. More data points and all that. It might just be me being dumb, but it seemed to be working fine up until the official release.

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
Well, so much for AOD for me for a while (until I get access to my PC), even rooted and with TWRP installed, my phone took the update and gave a notification saying "restart to update", now I'm on official Pie. Even had system mods installed (build prop changes, AOD, etc).

undermark5

Oct 5, 2016
Anybody know why using this as a magisk module makes the theme not working right? Such as the accent color being the ugly cyan color and the notification shade not themeing with the wallpaper.

undermark5

Oct 5, 2016
NVM I figured it out, magisk was overwriting all of the overlay filler instead of just the apk. This does prove to be of interest though because through this it may be possible to get the Pixel blue on any device through magisk.

sybaek

Oct 18, 2007
Well, so much for AOD for me for a while (until I get access to my PC), even rooted and with TWRP installed, my phone took the update and gave a notification saying "restart to update", now I'm on official Pie. Even had system mods installed (build prop changes, AOD, etc).

Good news. On a whim I tried flashing the older DP5 version of the apk and AOD seems to be working again in the 9.0 release. I've rebooted a few times and it still looks good.

--edit:
Huh. Well now I can use the 9.0 release version of the apk in and it works without a hitch. I can't seem to reproduce my original problem. The only difference I can think of is the fact I uninstalled Substratum. That may have been inadvertently reverting the file.

Last edited:

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
Yeah if you use a Subs theme and the Android System overlay has edits in it that conflict with the apk it will override it this making the AOD not work. I do have an always on option in my Translucent Substratum theme under the Android System overlay and it works on another phone that I have that is running Pie so it should work on the og Pixel. I am getting my Pixel back again and it will be here Wed to make sure.

Good news. On a whim I tried flashing the older DP5 version of the apk and AOD seems to be working again in the 9.0 release. I've rebooted a few times and it still looks good.

--edit:
Huh. Well now I can use the 9.0 release version of the apk in and it works without a hitch. I can't seem to reproduce my original problem. The only difference I can think of is the fact I uninstalled Substratum. That may have been inadvertently reverting the file.

Reactions: sybaek

duniecool

Jan 1, 2014
Greensboro, NC
Anyone have the pixel (sailfish) 9.0 official apk? Tried extracting from factory image but I can't seem to unpack the "vendor" system file.

edit: the file for sailfish, not from sailfish. Tried from the pixel 2 image

edit2: also are you supposed to reboot after changing permissions? I've been at this for an hour or two changing file managers, using twrp. etc, and I can't get anything to change. After the override the system acts funky, loses nav bars, but after changing permissions everything (after a reboot) is totally back to normal. Ive tried changing the apks in both ./system/vendor/overlays and the one in ./vendor/overlays to no avail with either.

Last edited:

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
Anyone have the pixel (sailfish) 9.0 official apk? Tried extracting from factory image but I can't seem to unpack the "vendor" system file.

edit2: also are you supposed to reboot after changing permissions? I've been at this for an hour or two changing file managers, using twrp. etc, and I can't get anything to change. After the override the system acts funky, loses nav bars, but after changing permissions everything (after a reboot) is totally back to normal. Ive tried changing the apks in both ./system/vendor/overlays and the one in ./vendor/overlays to no avail with either.
I'm giving it a try now, just updated to 9.0 official and got my stollen computer back.

Reactions: duniecool

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016

Just tired and it worked with the APK from 9.0 someone else posted. After you paste it over the original systemUI will crash, the screen will so max brightness, and the NAV bar will break. Just unlock the phone again, open a file manager and change the permissions, then reboot. Let me know if that works!

duniecool

Jan 1, 2014
Greensboro, NC
Just tired and it worked with the APK from 9.0 someone else posted. After you paste it over the original systemUI will crash, the screen will so max brightness, and the NAV bar will break. Just unlock the phone again, open a file manager and change the permissions, then reboot. Let me know if that works!

System UI crashes and then I change the permissions, but after a reboot everything is back to normal. If I use amaze file explorer (Instead of es) nav bar doesn't break, permissions don't need to be changed, and the AOD works without reboot. But after a reboot it resets. Hmm, maybe it's my kernel.

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
System UI crashes and then I change the permissions, but after a reboot everything is back to normal. If I use amaze file explorer (Instead of es) nav bar doesn't break, permissions don't need to be changed, and the AOD works without reboot. But after a reboot it resets. Hmm, maybe it's my kernel.
Perhaps, I'm using everything stock except this mod for now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hopefully someone can pull the APK from the new beta, unfortunately I still have no wifi and am unable to do so. Thanks in advance!

Here you go buddy. Tested and working. Pulled from PXL2 P DP3.
    This is actually relatively simple, and has worked with every update on Oreo.

Use at your own risk, while it's unlikely something like this will brick your device, I take no responsibility if anything happens. Always know how to get yourself out of a bootloop. The APKs and Magisk module posted by others should be fine, however feel free to extract the APK yourself from the Pixel 2/3 factory images.

Download the APK here (or extract it from the Pixel 2/XL's P DP1 factory image), install TWRP and Magisk (I used v16). Use a file manager with root permissions, I used ES file manager. Copy Framework-res__auto_generated.apk from here to System/Vendor/Overlay/ and overwrite (you could also copy the original somewhere if you wanted a backup). SystemUI will crash or the phone will reboot. Due to this, apps will constantly be crashing, to fix this, open up the file manager again and set the permissions correctly.

(Incase anyone is curious why I don't have a navbar, I removed it with a buildprop edit, I'm a bit nervous about burn in, and that way I can avoid it. Also, AOD moves around slowly)

Based on what I've seen with the leaks from the Pixel 3, it may be this simple to get the AOD with a wallpaper when we get the file from the Pixel 3 XL. But then again, I'm not a developer, so maybe not. But I'm glad this is still working for now!

APKs are posted by various users here, once I get access to my PC I'll be sure to post them in chronological order every time a update is put out.

Magisk module here https:/forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/themes/mod-display-enabler-magisk-module-t3857034
    Tried the latest APK sent in this thread and created a simple Magisk module. Feel free to try it out on your Pixel XL.

One thing I noticed was that after overriding the overlay apk, sRGB is not working. Also, the images in the AOD when using the Pixel 3 live wallpapers does not stick for long (around 20 seconds). I am not sure if it was the intended behavior or a bug.
    Can someone pull the APK from DP4? Some were saying with DP3 they had issues, I'm clean installing DP4 so we'll see if they are a problem with DP4.

Here you go. Tested and working on a dirty flash from dp3->dp4
    Here you go, from PXL2, DP5. Tested and working.