• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Enable Always On Display on Pixel XL Android Pie - Magisk

Search This thread

TENN3R

Dec 6, 2014
Trento
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but if you are rooted there is a simple module for substratum that enables it straight from display options. Using since root for P (developer preview) dropped, never had an issue, aod works flawlessly.

funkybrunk

Sep 5, 2010
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but if you are rooted there is a simple module for substratum that enables it straight from display options. Using since root for P (developer preview) dropped, never had an issue, aod works flawlessly.

I'm interested. Do you happen to have a link? There was an old aod enabler that had a grey screen problem after unlocking, hopefully the one you're talking about is newer.

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
Yes, here is the link on play store.
I tried some times, the screen is colored. I don't know if this is the buggy one or not, but I'm not facing any issue.
I mentioned it before, but I had a few issues with it, like double tapping not working. I honestly think if someone made a magisk module it would be a lot better.

dr_drache

Dec 31, 2007
Yes, here is the link on play store.
I tried some times, the screen is colored. I don't know if this is the buggy one or not, but I'm not facing any issue.

I mentioned it before, but I had a few issues with it, like double tapping not working. I honestly think if someone made a magisk module it would be a lot better.

I am really not having a good time with this mod - tried this with substratum - and doesn't even compile In app.

SOO frustrating

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
You can try my theme (Translucent Substratum),,,always on is an option under the Android System overlay and it works fine with all my phones running Android Pie with double tap to wake working as well, just an option. Here it is working on my Moto G5 Plus with Pie.

I am really not having a good time with this mod - tried this with substratum - and doesn't even compile In app.

SOO frustrating

Attachments

• Always_On.jpg
    Always_On.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 322
Reactions: YTSec and dr_drache

dr_drache

Dec 31, 2007
You can try my theme (Translucent Substratum),,,always on is an option under the Android System overlay and it works fine with all my phones running Android Pie with double tap to wake working as well, just an option. Here it is working on my Moto G5 Plus with Pie.

took a long time for me to follow your directions... Working out well..

ONCE I reflashed my vendor image. Even substratum was failing - I have no idea how it was messed up.
And I'm willing to bet the apk would work now. Such Is life.. Lol

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
Yeah once I drop nougat support in my theme I can rearrange things so it is simple. I have 12 pages on google doc notes to help people out if they run into trouble with Substratum, I know I have at times and just wrote all the fixes down LOL

took a long time for me to follow your directions... Working out well..

ONCE I reflashed my vendor image. Even substratum was failing - I have no idea how it was messed up.
And I'm willing to bet the apk would work now. Such Is life.. Lol

dimitrispas22

Feb 5, 2016
Paphos
I am not able to make it work anymore the phone freezes i am able to get right the permissions and the option ambient display disappears after reset it comes back, but without aod :(

Sunny Mikk

Jan 17, 2018
Download link

Hello. There is no download link in your text. Can you please share a link yo download the apk. It says ' Download here' but nothing happens when I click it. There is no link embedded in the 'here' word. Please do share the apk file link.

YTSec

Oct 19, 2016
Hello. There is no download link in your text. Can you please share a link yo download the apk. It says ' Download here' but nothing happens when I click it. There is no link embedded in the 'here' word. Please do share the apk file link.
I honestly don't have the time to edit it every time a new OS update comes out. Read back a few posts and you'll find the APK posted by someone. Unfortunately though, it seems this may not work on the recent updates, some have reported it not sticking after a reboot, or other issues, and some have said it works fine. Personally, I moved onto a custom ROM with AOD built in as well as the music recognition from the Pixel 2 XL (Pixel Dust).

Sunny Mikk

Jan 17, 2018
Rom

I honestly don't have the time to edit it every time a new OS update comes out. Read back a few posts and you'll find the APK posted by someone. Unfortunately though, it seems this may not work on the recent updates, some have reported it not sticking after a reboot, or other issues, and some have said it works fine. Personally, I moved onto a custom ROM with AOD built in as well as the music recognition from the Pixel 2 XL (Pixel Dust).

Which ROM did you shift to? I'm using pixel android p gsi on my oneplus 5T. Please share details of the ROM you are using.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hopefully someone can pull the APK from the new beta, unfortunately I still have no wifi and am unable to do so. Thanks in advance!

Here you go buddy. Tested and working. Pulled from PXL2 P DP3.
    This is actually relatively simple, and has worked with every update on Oreo.

Use at your own risk, while it's unlikely something like this will brick your device, I take no responsibility if anything happens. Always know how to get yourself out of a bootloop. The APKs and Magisk module posted by others should be fine, however feel free to extract the APK yourself from the Pixel 2/3 factory images.

Download the APK here (or extract it from the Pixel 2/XL's P DP1 factory image), install TWRP and Magisk (I used v16). Use a file manager with root permissions, I used ES file manager. Copy Framework-res__auto_generated.apk from here to System/Vendor/Overlay/ and overwrite (you could also copy the original somewhere if you wanted a backup). SystemUI will crash or the phone will reboot. Due to this, apps will constantly be crashing, to fix this, open up the file manager again and set the permissions correctly.

(Incase anyone is curious why I don't have a navbar, I removed it with a buildprop edit, I'm a bit nervous about burn in, and that way I can avoid it. Also, AOD moves around slowly)

Based on what I've seen with the leaks from the Pixel 3, it may be this simple to get the AOD with a wallpaper when we get the file from the Pixel 3 XL. But then again, I'm not a developer, so maybe not. But I'm glad this is still working for now!

APKs are posted by various users here, once I get access to my PC I'll be sure to post them in chronological order every time a update is put out.

Magisk module here https:/forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/themes/mod-display-enabler-magisk-module-t3857034
    Tried the latest APK sent in this thread and created a simple Magisk module. Feel free to try it out on your Pixel XL.

One thing I noticed was that after overriding the overlay apk, sRGB is not working. Also, the images in the AOD when using the Pixel 3 live wallpapers does not stick for long (around 20 seconds). I am not sure if it was the intended behavior or a bug.
    Can someone pull the APK from DP4? Some were saying with DP3 they had issues, I'm clean installing DP4 so we'll see if they are a problem with DP4.

Here you go. Tested and working on a dirty flash from dp3->dp4
    Here you go, from PXL2, DP5. Tested and working.