Enable Galaxy TAB S7/S7+ 4K resolution (Using ADB)

Search This thread

edmondt

Mar 21, 2006
Toronto
Density set to 1200 became really big, I had to set it to 500 to look normal. Is everyone else experienced the same thing?

Edit: on the side, this seems to have made the touch response better ❤️

Stryker_Echo9er

May 7, 2014
New York
Sorry to break it to you all but playing say 4K video on a 1080 display will yield a better picture. Read up on Chroma Subsampling

That said, changing the resolution via adb won't really do much. Forcing higher resolution video via something like Vanced however will.
So, the whole point of changing the resolution via adb is not just to make your 2k display render everything in 4k BUT to fool your device (specifically the OS) into thinking that the display IS 4K. This in turn fools all the apps to think that the display is 4k thus enabling users to select the 4k option within the app like say Netflix or YouTube. This solution would help you to consume UHD content without the need to download any 3rd party apps (which may compromise security & privacy), instead use the existing apps by simply making a small change via adb (which can be done now within the device without needing a secondary device using Shizuku wireless adb).

SyCoREAPER

Retired Forum Moderator
So, the whole point of changing the resolution via adb is not just to make your 2k display render everything in 4k BUT to fool your device (specifically the OS) into thinking that the display IS 4K. This in turn fools all the apps to think that the display is 4k thus enabling users to select the 4k option within the app like say Netflix or YouTube. This solution would help you to consume UHD content without the need to download any 3rd party apps (which may compromise security & privacy), instead use the existing apps by simply making a small change via adb (which can be done now within the device without needing a secondary device using Shizuku wireless adb).

Is it that simple? Id think the Widevine L3 cert would still give away and limit what you can consume

Dec 23, 2015
Since DSR and Retina Displays already exist, I believe there are some advantages. You have to try it to believe it. The displays feel a lot sharper, edges feel smoother, fonts look amazing, overall it just looks good on the huge display of my Tab s7+.

Coming back to that I need to ask you, did you try this before asking me the POINT. Coz I feel if you would have, you wouldn't be asking me this!
No that's half the fact, the way retina display works is, panel is 4k, but resolution is scaled down to somewhere between 1080-1400p, this makes more pixels contained in one screen point (CGPoint, if you know about iOS/ MacOS development), now you have more bigger text and UI elements since you are using down scaled resolution while still persisting the details since you are actually using 4k pixels to render that. Unlike what you are saying, in memory rendering will happen in 4k, but on display it would just ignore all those details and only show 2k pixels. All this will do is stress out your HW by running decoders at high throughput but rendering system is anyways gonna ignore half the data from that.

Stryker_Echo9er

May 7, 2014
New York
I am not sure about how apple does it but I am sure no Apple mobile devices ever had a 4K panel as you say and currently has a 4K panel! Also, if the output frames are scaled down to 2K to display on a 4K panel it will look worse and not better - which contradicts what you are saying! I am a software developer and I know what a "cgpoint" is, it's simply a 2d graphics coordinate system used by Apple. The whole purpose of my post was to let users watch online content in 4K and not rant about the technicalities and debate on Apple v/s Samsung!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am unsure if this thread belongs here. Kindly let me know if it doesn't or please move it.

I was wondering if the TAB S7/S7+ would let me play YouTube videos on 4K using the native app but unfortunately it doesn't for obvious reasons using stock settings.
    So I figured a way to enable this using ADB. I am unsure how much this affects the battery life since I am still testing app compatibility and power usage.

ADB Commands
    1. To set 4K resolution -
    adb shell wm size 2400x3840
    adb shell wm density 1024 (or whatever suits your eyes, mine is 1200)

2. To reset to default -
    adb shell wm size reset
    adb shell wm density reset

So if anyone's interested all you have to do is -
    1. Download minimal ADB and install it if you do not have ADB installed.
    2. Open Command Prompt in the ADB folder by pressing Shift Key and selecting the Right Click option "Open command prompt here".
    3. Run "ADB devices" without quotes and accept the prompt on your device (Your device must have USB debugging enabled, if you don't know how or have it enabled you probably shouldn't be doing this).
    4. Run the above "To set 4K" commands to set the display resolution to 4k.
    5. Clear the app data of Youtube and restart the device.
    6. (Optional/Reset) To reset the display resolution to default, just run the 2nd set of commands.
    ...or just use Youtube Vanced. And set resolution to always use 1440p or 2160p if you want really high.
    I use Vanced to maximum.
    Right, so what's the point? The 4k video doesn't look better on a 2k screen.

The point is higher bitrate. Youtube compresses videos so much so 4k will have a much higher bitrate than 1440p and look better.
    There's also Newpipe to get 4K Youtube without hacking. As a bonus, it also gets rid of the ads.
    Thanks for figuring this out! Often 4k will look better on a 2k screen than 2k on a 2k screen.

This is because pixels from youtube don't always line up perfectly to the tablet pixels and you end up with a resolution less than 2k when you have it set to 2k. When you stream at 4k from youtube, the content is delivered with smaller pixels and ends up looking better on a 2k display.