Enable Native Call Recording [OOS] [ROOT/NON-ROOT] [APP/MAGISK MODULE/ADB/TASKER]

renacur

Feb 19, 2015
After an OTA update I had an issue where my SIM card would not be recognized. Searched for the cause and it turned out I missed uninstalling this Magisk module. So I uninstalled it and I got the phone service working again but SIM settings are crashing when I open them. After reading through the last few pages of this thread I already know that's a common issue after forgetting to uninstall the module before the update. So my question is: what do I do to fix this? Is factory reset or reflashing with stock ROM my only option? Or can I somehow unscrew the TeleService?

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
After an OTA update I had an issue where my SIM card would not be recognized. Searched for the cause and it turned out I missed uninstalling this Magisk module. So I uninstalled it and I got the phone service working again but SIM settings are crashing when I open them. After reading through the last few pages of this thread I already know that's a common issue after forgetting to uninstall the module before the update. So my question is: what do I do to fix this? Is factory reset or reflashing with stock ROM my only option? Or can I somehow unscrew the TeleService?
That shouldn't be happening. Try running the following command in a Terminal app and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, try dirty flashing your current OOS after clearing all the caches, etc.

Code:
pm enable com.android.phone/com.android.phone.oneplus.OPSimSubSettingsActivity

renacur

Feb 19, 2015
That shouldn't be happening. Try running the following command in a Terminal app and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, try dirty flashing your current OOS after clearing all the caches, etc.

Code:
pm enable com.android.phone/com.android.phone.oneplus.OPSimSubSettingsActivity
Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't help. What do you mean by saying "dirty flashing"? I'm running latest vanilla OOS on OP6T. Do you mean download the... update? from OP and apply it? Via offline update in update manager or TWRP? Would any of that clear my data or settings?

Also since my last post I found the exception that is causing TeleService to crash:
Code:
AndroidRuntime: Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn't find class "menu" on path: DexPathList[[zip file "/system/priv-app/TeleService/TeleService.apk"],nativeLibraryDirectories=[/system/priv-app/TeleService/lib/arm64, /system/priv-app/TeleService/TeleService.apk!/lib/arm64-v8a, /system/lib64, /system/product/lib64, /system/lib64, /system/product/lib64]]
Does that help you figure out what's happening?

Sachitoge

Nov 16, 2014
Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't help. What do you mean by saying "dirty flashing"? I'm running latest vanilla OOS on OP6T. Do you mean download the... update? from OP and apply it? Via offline update in update manager or TWRP? Would any of that clear my data or settings?

Also since my last post I found the exception that is causing TeleService to crash:
Code:
AndroidRuntime: Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn't find class "menu" on path: DexPathList[[zip file "/system/priv-app/TeleService/TeleService.apk"],nativeLibraryDirectories=[/system/priv-app/TeleService/lib/arm64, /system/priv-app/TeleService/TeleService.apk!/lib/arm64-v8a, /system/lib64, /system/product/lib64, /system/lib64, /system/product/lib64]]
I have same problem.

I dirty flashed from TWRP same rom, it didnt do anything.

I am lost too, cant access SIM settings nor do I have the time to re-organize 2nd time my phone with my apps/configs (if factory reset).

I need help still, i need solution :/

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala

Code:
Dirty flashing is flashing the same ROM again (TWRP recommended), OOS in your case. Don't know if it will help or not, but it is worth a shot. And no, dirty flashing doesn't clear your data, and everything stays as it. It doesn't touch the data partition or your internal storage.

I have same problem.

I dirty flashed from TWRP same rom, it didnt do anything.

I am lost too, cant access SIM settings nor do I have the time to re-organize 2nd time my phone with my apps/configs (if factory reset).

I need help still, i need solution :/
I'm sorry, but I've never faced this issue myself. Once the module is removed, everything should be stock, and there should be no issues because of the module. The module doesn't disable any activity that could cause an FC.

elliattar

Jan 22, 2020
I used for my Non-Root OnePlus 5 the ADB command via a computer and it works fine but after a while, the recording option is remover from my build in dailer
and I need to run ADB command via a computer again like every day
is there a way for a permanent solusion for call record ?

jacobyo7

Apr 26, 2015
I used for my Non-Root OnePlus 5 the ADB command via a computer and it works fine but after a while, the recording option is remover from my build in dailer
and I need to run ADB command via a computer again like every day
is there a way for a permanent solusion for call record ?
I have not tested myself but you can try this (it's a post from page 80)

Thanks for your reply. I found a way to change the setting value without root and without having to use adb on a computer after each reboot. You still need to do it manually, but at least you can do it easily using the phone. I'm sharing below how I did in case you may want to add it to the existing methods:

1. Install Settings Database Editor app.
2. Allow the app to change system setting by running the following adb command on a computer:
Code:
adb shell pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
Fortunatelly this is a persistent change, so you only need to run this comman once, the permission granted to the app will be there even after reboots.

Once the above is done, you don't need a computer anymore to enable call recording, you can do it with the app following these simple steps:

1. Open the app, change the top right drop down to "Global Table".
2. Look for op_voice_recording_supported_by_mcc setting and tap on it.
3. Then tap on "EDIT VALUE", change it to 1, and tap on "SAVE CHANGES".

Done! :D

It's not as good as having the change applied automatically on each boot, but at least you don't need to have a computer at hand to enable call recording.

elliattar

Jan 22, 2020
SetEdit does not currently support editing this table

Hi Thaks for your reply looks good for me but I cant edit on "EDIT VALUE", change it to 1
I get "SetEdit does not currently support editing this table" message :rolleyes::r
any idea?

BR
Eli

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Hi it works fine I missed the "adb shell pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS" command
so all good
Thank you
it helps me a lot
BR
Eli

jacobyo7

Apr 26, 2015
Hi Thaks for your reply looks good for me but I cant edit on "EDIT VALUE", change it to 1
I get "SetEdit does not currently support editing this table" message :rolleyes::r
any idea?

BR
Eli

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Hi it works fine I missed the "adb shell pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS" command
so all good
Thank you
it helps me a lot
BR
Eli
Glad it work for you, give a thanks to the original autor of this methode (page 80) to encourage him. I only copy/pasted his post, all credits goes to him :good:

LastQuestion

Jan 24, 2020
Can someone tell me if this workaround allows third party call recording apps to work on android 9.0 (i.e. Automatic Call Recorder by Appliqato, Skavlex, etc) or does it only allow call recording through the native app?

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
Can someone tell me if this workaround allows third party call recording apps to work on android 9.0 (i.e. Automatic Call Recorder by Appliqato, Skavlex, etc) or does it only allow call recording through the native app?
This only enables the native call recording option present in OnePlus's stock dialer. Has no impact whatsoever on third-party call recording apps.

Ch4rles

Feb 19, 2020
Download Magisk Module

Hi,

Seems i may be the thick one on here, but where is the link to download Magisk 19.0+? Can you help please?

Thanks in advance

Charles

NHNXDA

Jan 26, 2008
Search for "recorder" app within Android settings and grant permissions for storage there, maybe this works for you.
Mines the same, pops up give permissions, but when you goto permissions, it already has storage permission given, bizarre.

Anyone have a fix, running op7 pro with 10.04 oos, twrp with latest magisk.

LastQuestion

Jan 24, 2020
To add some knowledge here, in response to a question I posed earlier.

Automatic Call Recorder by Appliqato has an option to 'use built-in call recorder'.

Using only the ABD command the app then picks up numbers and records calls.

I tested this on a refurbished One Plus 6t, on both Andriod 9 & 10.

Unfortunately, the 6T I received records distorted audio. This audio distoration happens with the Caller app, native caller, or even voice recorder apps.
AAC format is especially affected.

Voice sounds fine over calls. In fact, when i called my current phone is recorded a perfectly audible call.

I'm not sure if it's my unit or not. I will RMA it for replacement.

Any other users of the 6T that can say if recording with the native call recorder, or a voice recorder app, in AAC format has any quality issues?
The distortion I get often gets described by people as 'sounds like you are underwater' or 'talking in a tin can'. I couldn't figure out if it's a ROM issue, a sampling issue, or what.

Kontro!

Nov 30, 2014
Mines the same, pops up give permissions, but when you goto permissions, it already has storage permission given, bizarre.

Anyone have a fix, running op7 pro with 10.04 oos, twrp with latest magisk.
I have the same problem and the same configuration. It was OK with 10.02..Screenshot_20200301-021335.jpg

LastQuestion

Jan 24, 2020
As mentioned in post 877 of this thread I RMA'd the OP6T for a replacement. The issue of the captured call audio being distorted occurred on that unit as well. I surmise it's a problem with the OP6T's and so have returned it and continued my search for a new phone with reliable and decent sounding call recording.

Here's the distorted audio of the OP6T's Native Call Recorder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vVZe_2jsXsnzK_kG2DAsUMVtAWphOTDm/view?usp=sharing
Here's the same call but on my Galaxy S5: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bqb3rPJd7y25KEvvg5-ldea6wlRSjcNO/view?usp=sharing

I'm wondering if the OP7 models do better.

Can any OP7 owners using the native call recorder comment on the sound quality of recorded calls. Particularly when recording in .AAC format via earbuds connect by a USB-C to TRRS adapter.

What is the sample rate of the recording in khz, how does it sound upon playback. Maybe even do a test call and share it as an example.

Edit: for anyone wanting detailed information on my testing, here is a report I submitted to OnePlus's Community Forum: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...gs-call-recording-or-voice-recording.1192392/

Last edited: