Enable private DNS on MIUI 10 android pie.

Search This thread

stonedead

Apr 6, 2012
Klang
Hi guys.
I'm new to pocophone F1. Coming from a galaxy note 3 with aosp pie rom, i found that i cannot use private dns on pocophone miui 10 pie rom. Several articles on the net said it was removed from miui pie rom. The truth is it was hidden deep within miui 10.
Here's how to access it:

1. Install quick shortcut maker from playstore. Here's the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

2. Open quick shortcut maker and then scroll to settings. Click on it and then find com.android.settings.Settings$NetworkDashboardActivity (also easier to find it by typing "mor" on search bar. Click on it and then choose try, it will go to network and internet settings where you now can set private DNS there. You can create a shortcut for later use after that.

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_105901.jpg
    IMG_20190212_105901.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 5,778
  • Screenshot_2019-02-12-01-04-26-346_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-12-01-04-26-346_com.android.settings.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 5,771
  • Screenshot_2019-02-12-01-03-43-639_com.opera.browser.beta.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-12-01-03-43-639_com.opera.browser.beta.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 5,736

radii

Oct 2, 2006
Thanks. Any code/keyword to enable WiFi sharing (e.g. share WiFi from hotspot using phone with no mobile phone signal)- it is a feature in pixel but not available in miui

Saswata Chakraborty

• Hi guys.
    I'm new to pocophone F1. Coming from a galaxy note 3 with aosp pie rom, i found that i cannot use private dns on pocophone miui 10 pie rom. Several articles on the net said it was removed from miui pie rom. The truth is it was hidden deep within miui 10.
    Here's how to access it:

1. Install quick shortcut maker from playstore. Here's the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

2. Open quick shortcut maker and then scroll to settings. Click on it and then find com.android.settings.Settings$NetworkDashboardActivity (also easier to find it by typing "mor" on search bar. Click on it and then choose try, it will go to network and internet settings where you now can set private DNS there. You can create a shortcut for later use after that.

Good finding!!!

stonedead

Apr 6, 2012
    Klang
    If you want to use the 1.1.1.1 private DNS from CloudFlare, you can just get the 1.1.1.1 app which does it for you :)

It's not the same mate. Private dns in pie use DNS over TLS which is encrypted and more secure. Also you can use adguard dns in private dns to block ads so you don't need to use any adblocker app or even root your device to block ads system wide. To use adguard dns just put dns.adguard.com to that private dns.

Reactions: donk165

donk165

Dec 11, 2012
    West Midlands
    It's not the same mate. Private dns in pie use DNS over TLS which is encrypted and more secure. Also you can use adguard dns in private dns to block ads so you don't need to use any adblocker app or even root your device to block ads system wide. To use adguard dns just put dns.adguard.com to that private dns.

Yeah that is true. Its a shame that MIUI doesnt allow you to set the private DNS settings. Im on crdroid so I can set the dns without any issues. Hopefully they patch it in :)

Reactions: stonedead

stonedead

Apr 6, 2012
    Klang
    the option is turned on for me but does not allow wi-fi sharing or doesn't work for me does it work for you? I I've tried

It seems to work fine for me. I did not enable the setting in developer option. Took out my sim card and then connect to other phone, check from other phone and confirmed the internet is working fine on on both phones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-12-18-53-39-368_com.mi.android.globallauncher.jpg
      Screenshot_2019-02-12-18-53-39-368_com.mi.android.globallauncher.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 1,860

Darklouis

Jun 17, 2017
    Davao City
    If you want to use the 1.1.1.1 private DNS from CloudFlare, you can just get the 1.1.1.1 app which does it for you :)

Private DNS on setting on any PIE AOSP or any PIE Roms is systemwide.

The app itself only the application is affected and by using vpn.
    The app is useless if you have the settings available on your device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_Settings_20190213-011428.png
      Screenshot_Settings_20190213-011428.png
      97.4 KB · Views: 1,038

MFAR198

Jun 27, 2014
    Malaysia
    Thanks, works fine here. But seems like I can't connect to internet when using CloudFare dns so I changed to Adguard and it works fine. Both wifi and data has no connection after connecting to CloudFare dns. Btw good sharing!

Vuska

Jul 26, 2010
    Bandung
    Hi...

if i already change to private dns... Will it stick after restart device?

and why i cannot create a shortcut to that setting. ?

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Negi9

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks, works fine here. But seems like I can't connect to internet when using CloudFare dns so I changed to Adguard and it works fine. Both wifi and data has no connection after connecting to CloudFare dns. Btw good sharing!

That's cause it's cloudflare not cloudfare.
    1dot1dot1dot1.cloudlfare-dns.com

Reactions: MFAR198

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hi guys.
      Here's how to access it:

Yeah that is true. Its a shame that MIUI doesnt allow you to set the private DNS settings. Im on crdroid so I can set the dns without any issues. Hopefully they patch it in :)

Using the method i posted here works fine on miui 10.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone