Enable unofficial ASHA Hearing Aids support to android 10 devices

Search This thread

johnstinks

May 28, 2012
Strasbourg
Hi,
I'm looking a way to enable AHSA protocol to device that are on official Android 10 with official updates from manufacturer

Last year Google has annouced Android 10 will support Hearing Aids with ASHA Protocol, specification are open, but i think integration to Android 10 phone is not mandatory

I have a Oneplus 5 and recently Android 10 has been released out to this device by OnePlus

Sadly, i can't stream music directly to my hearing aids.

As far i know Pixel 3 and Samsung devices are compatible, i've tested with a Samsung S10e and this is working great.

Google provide a technical specification for ASHA Protocol, i dont know if this for dev or something ? https://source.android.com/devices/bluetooth/asha

So what i've found so far when playing around with my OnePlus 5 :

- I've decompilled the bluetooth apk from my OnePlus 5 phone and there some files related to hearing aids in the bluetooth apk bluetooth.app/sources/com/android/bluetooth/hearingaid

- Found a file text in /System/etc/bluetooth/
in bt_profile.conf at the end of the file

Code:
#Hearing Aid profile and its configurable features
# hearing_aid_support with default value false
[HEARING_AID]
[B]hearing_aid_support = false[/B]

I've rooted my device with Magisk and i've tried to change to "true" and reboot but changes are reverted back maybe because /system is read-only ?

i want to know if someone can dump the file from a pixel 3 or a Samsung S10/S20 device and share here ?

D

Deleted member 1890170

@johnstinks

Only to have mentioned it:

Android's hearing-aid setting is stored in Android's settings.db under System: It's either 0 or 1.

johnstinks

May 28, 2012
Strasbourg
sorry .., i've no idea how to do, i've never compiled a rom or anthing

my message is a bottle sent to the sea, sharing idea to enable / force the support for hearing aids for phones on Android 10.

s0m3dud3

Aug 12, 2012
I would also be interested in a way to activate this in custom roms. I'm waiting until it's more widely available before I get my next phone

Alpha78

Jun 22, 2006
Bumping up this thread. My dad just received his new hearing aid, and initially the audiologist told us direct streaming is only supported on iPhone, but upon closer checking, I found that selected Android phone models are also supported. Sadly, his Huawei P30 Pro is not on the list.

I tried pairing his hearing aids with my sister's Samsung S10 and it worked like a charm, it even has the hearing aid icon beside the bluetooth device. Although the P30 Pro supports Bluetooth 5 and has Android 10, it doesn't recognise the hearing aid.

Hoping that some experts here can share if it's as simple as rooting and enabling the setting, or is there something in the bluetooth APK that needs rework in order for the hearing aid function to work?

Arlas

Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

I need this feature really, too. :)
Does someone got a way to enable it on a rooted smartphone?

Best regards

David DabiS

May 11, 2021
Trying to find the solution for my son with his Xiaomi Black Shark 3, anyway so far I didnt find any ASHA solution, so I am going to check Phonak hearing aid which should support BT connection via A2DP and HFP, so it could be temoporary workaround without ASHA support on phone (seems to just on few Samsung and Google models at the moment). Anyway ASHA is final solution of course, all advices would be really appriciated.

johnstinks

May 28, 2012
Strasbourg
On my OnePlus 5 i tried a custom rom called "ArrowOS" this rom does have a experimental flag "settings_bluetooth_hearing_aid" i enabled this flag and i have hearing aids support !

Now i have to found what actually does this flag when i enable it. ( what file is modified)

here some link from the android source code where the flag is found:

if we understand how to enable the feature we can maybe create a magisk module that enable ASHA for any phone on Android 10-11 😁

https://android.googlesource.com/pl.../core/java/android/util/FeatureFlagUtils.java

https://android.googlesource.com/pl...c/com/android/settings/core/FeatureFlags.java

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210531-102235.png
    Screenshot_20210531-102235.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 791
Reactions: SoniKalien

masterflolo

Aug 18, 2012
On my OnePlus 5 i tried a custom rom called "ArrowOS" this rom does have a experimental flag "settings_bluetooth_hearing_aid" i enabled this flag and i have hearing aids support !

Now i have to found what actually does this flag when i enable it. ( what file is modified)

if we understand how to enable the feature we can maybe create a magisk module that enable ASHA for any phone on Android 10-11 😁

https://android.googlesource.com/pl.../core/java/android/util/FeatureFlagUtils.java

https://android.googlesource.com/pl...c/com/android/settings/core/FeatureFlags.java
Hi I just came across this post as I also want to enable ASHA on an 5t. Does it still work for you with ArrowOS?

sacrophyte

Nov 20, 2021
I'm adding my name to the list of folks that want to do this as well (I have an Umidigi A9, but it sounds like the same basic issue applies).

spekulos871

Apr 7, 2022
As ASHA is mainly enabled on the software side (given your hardware matches the requirements), does this mean that custom ROMs on Android >= 10 supports hearing aids streaming ?

tehsnou

Apr 7, 2022
As soon as I received my Widex Moment headset, I have been using a hearing aid since I was a child, I feel very sad living in a world where technology was for everyone, adding walls for the sake of money, back to top, I also use the Redmi Note 9 Pro which uses Android 10 and BLE but doesn't pair, I tried a lot of things. Why should I have to buy a new phone instead of fixing it, 2 years have passed and they have not fix it or update about this. I have spoken with Widex & Xiaomi support, the 1st one told me that will add more mobile devices to his list, the 2nd one seems not to be so interested since he does not reply to my email. Once again I feel so bad, I hope someone will can give a solution to that.

I will try Service and Feedback from my phone also

Last edited:

AmarnathNR

Account currently disabled
May 3, 2022
GB
meettomy.site
Realme X

Below adb command enabled the hearing aid option in my rooted realme x running on Android 11 device but could not stream audio to hearing.

adb shell settings put global settings_bluetooth_hearing_aid true

SoniKalien

Oct 9, 2011
Bumping up this thread. My dad just received his new hearing aid, and initially the audiologist told us direct streaming is only supported on iPhone, but upon closer checking, I found that selected Android phone models are also supported. Sadly, his Huawei P30 Pro is not on the list.

I tried pairing his hearing aids with my sister's Samsung S10 and it worked like a charm, it even has the hearing aid icon beside the bluetooth device. Although the P30 Pro supports Bluetooth 5 and has Android 10, it doesn't recognise the hearing aid.

Hoping that some experts here can share if it's as simple as rooting and enabling the setting, or is there something in the bluetooth APK that needs rework in order for the hearing aid function to work?

In the same boat here, with same phone. I am about to get cochlear implant activated.

The problem with P30Pro afaik is that Huawei have disabled unlocking of our phones meaning we will never get custom roms or install 'hacks' which is pretty ****.

One would think after all these years of ASHA protocol spec being available it would be implemented more, but no. Outside Pixel, Samsung and Apple its pretty dead in the water and I don't know why since it appears to be just editing one or two lines of code to activate it.

At this stage we can only petition to Huawei to enable this feature.

Top Liked Posts