Question Encrypt SD Card

Search This thread
Hello!
I bought this phone this week and so far I love it, long time Google Pixel user (p3a, p3xl, p4xl) that got enough of Google's AI deciding everything for me.
The cameras are amazing (Still gotta get used to it, so rn I am using auto mode) and the screen is unbeatable.

I have ONE issue with this phone, I mainly got it because I am currently deGoogling my online profile and I am planning on downloading everything from google photos and transfer it locally to my sd card and make backups every week (and store it on server in an ecrypted container). But I have been looking through the settings and can't seem to find the "Encrypt SD Card" mode, I want to encrypt it because I don't want the risk of me losing the phone and some random taking it and looking through everything I have on my SD card (that's unencrypted).

I am aware that If the device breaks down or stolen I won't be able to recover the data, but I'd much rather risking losing my data than someone else getting access to it.

Is there a way around this? I was looking into EDS or Cryptomator, but both seem to be too messy (having to access the files in the app) or need ROOT for mounting the countainers, do you guys recommend anything I can do here? I got about 70GB of photos and Videos to store on the sd card.

Looking forward to receiving replies,
Chali

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Never encrypt data drives as you are the one most likely to be lock out. Many times it's through no fault of your own.
Physical security is the only real security. Phones don't just get lost unless you are careless. You ever lose your wallet?
You should probably rethink what you keep on the phone and how you handle the phone especially in unsecured environments.

Never encrypt data drives as you are the one most likely to be lock out. Many times it's through no fault of your own.
Physical security is the only real security. Phones don't just get lost unless you are careless. You ever lose your wallet?
You should probably rethink what you keep on the phone and how you handle the phone especially in unsecured environments.
Very true, but I will be making backups to other devices so that's not an issue for me. I usually split it in 3 online clouds and 2 HDD.

Would you place all your sensitive info in an external SD card without encryption?

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Very true, but I will be making backups to other devices so that's not an issue for me. I usually split it in 3 online clouds and 2 HDD.

Would you place all your sensitive info in an external SD card without encryption?
Redundant backup is the only way. That sounds like a good plan. More hdds that have time staggered data and not store in one location. A Faraday cage ie earth grounded firebox is ideal.
A near lightning strike can wipe them... or magnets.
Like I said I never encrypt data drives including the one on my phone. Maybe if I had a vast empire to protect but that is not the case.

invasion13

Oct 18, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20
Sony Xperia 1 IV
The only option i found is to put sensitive data in main internal phone's memory and a remote wipe if stolen (as i supposed phone itself is encrypted , not the sdcard) in case of sensitive infos (id cards, bank info etc)
but you have to backup its internal stockage ie some folders like "documents" regularly

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The only option i found is to put sensitive data in main internal phone's memory and a remote wipe if stolen (as i supposed phone itself is encrypted , not the sdcard) in case of sensitive infos (id cards, bank info etc)
but you have to backup its internal stockage ie some folders like "documents" regularly
An effective and safer option than encrypting the data drive. Encrypting the SD card will also impact read/write performance. How much I'm not sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I will reply to myself, I used EDS from the playstore. I created a hidden volume using veracrypt on pc and store files in it, I can access most files and documents within the EDS app, it works great.
    I will reply to myself, I used EDS from the playstore. I created a hidden volume using veracrypt on pc and store files in it, I can access most files and documents within the EDS app, it works great.
    But EDS needs root , just to prevent an useless purchase for unrooted users
    But EDS needs root , just to prevent an useless purchase for unrooted users
    You can explore the files inside the container (only FAT and exFAT formats) inside the EDS app and open them using another app, ROOT is needed to mount the volume (essentially being able to access it from any app)